Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: Mana Management

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "Mana Management" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Food buffs  are another mechanic that needs to be left behind.
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I agree, food and drink buffs need to go. But they come from older games where you had to eat and drink or get a "debuff", since developers don't want players to expierence anything negative anymore you now get buffed.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Talmien
    I agree, food and drink buffs need to go. But they come from older games where you had to eat and drink or get a "debuff", since developers don't want players to expierence anything negative anymore you now get buffed.

Super Turkey Debuff - You fall asleep for a half hour and then have reduced speed for 8 more hours. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Food buffs  are another mechanic that needs to be left behind.

Look at Dayz and food has a function. Starvation vs well-fed, but guess that is more for sandboxish mmos.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Food/drink buffs aside, mana management seems to have all but disappeared in most MMOs. How many here remember reagents/comps? Or having to find/learn spells? A lot of the features of magic systems have disappeared from magery but seem to remain in many archer/ranger systems.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Food/drink buffs aside, mana management seems to have all but disappeared in most MMOs. How many here remember reagents/comps? Or having to find/learn spells? A lot of the features of magic systems have disappeared from magery but seem to remain in many archer/ranger systems.

You know it has also kinda disappeared in general from the people that are actually playing the mmorpgs... I see a lot of people just out and out SUCK at mana management in mmorpgs. They spam AOE heals and run out of mana fast and it's like uhh wtf? Or they will spam aoe spells in general.... there is still management in some games that if you don't take care with can still turn out POORLY.  

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

What do I see here?  A Tank, or more likely a Dps who ignored the group tell of OOM(Out Of Mana), from the Healer(s) after the last boss fight.  And still ran into the next, with out waiting for the support to recover. 

Just because he was full of health and ready to go.  They get into a "Wipe" frenzy, and can't stop and wait for anyone else. 

They only see their action, so they only acknowledge their contribution.  Healing and crowd control, they don't see it, so it doesn't exist.  They survive "Only", because of their "Bad_ssedness", and not because of some support player.

Simplification of game mechanics (dumbing down) should never be the goal.  If you want to play a dumb game, buy a console.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I recall a guildie many years back getting bitched out by the guildmaster's girl friend, who happened to be our main heal.

"I'm sitting down and drinking my water, and damn it, I'm not getting up until I'm done."

Later on I played a healer.  Ya know, I can relate to how she must have felt.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Mage table please XD

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Talmien

This.. even though having some of the negative stuff come back would be nice instead of easy mode all day... maybe thats why i am super bored of mmorpgs atm