Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Client Side Exploit Discovered

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to information revealed on several sites and in a thread on MMORPG.com's forum, a new client side exploit for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has been discovered. While developers have yet to acknowledge the issue, all threads reporting the issue are being dismissed and deleted.

This is, as yet, unconfirmed and we are unwilling to post the details of the exploit. Keep in mind that any "instructions" how to exploit the game will result in the thread being closed. Discussion only please.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

So it's an unconfirmed story with no real evidence?

Why is this news?

Sorry this reminds me of the real news, where they sensationalize things without any proof anymore...

I'm not saying this isn't happening, I have no idea, it just seems l like you guys have no idea either :-(

Edit: Reminds me of the last season of newsroom...

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

What are we supposed to discuss exactly?

Originally posted by Torvaldr

It would be nice to know in what way the game is affected. Is this related to character/level modification, gold/item duping, or other areas?

I'm glad you're reporting on this and hopefully Squeenix will feel pressure to acknowledge a problem.

That would follow the line of reasoning that SE isn't already working on the problem IF it exists.

I've heard rumors of said problem, yet very limited evidence if any, only ONE screen shot and a bunch of shady throw away accounts claiming they can do anything they want to.

It's all unconfirmed and very early to say anything about any of this really.

I'm sure if it IS a problem SE is already working on it, and if it isn't, well that's probably why SE has not commented on it.  You don't comment on things that don't exist.  You also don't comment on exploits in such a way as to make more people abuse them when you don't have a solution to the problem yet. 

Which is sorta what MMORPG just did...

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Why did you post this?  Bored?

I know as much about this topic as I did before I clicked the link to read it. /facepalm

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    This thread has most of the info about it already. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397896/page/1

So what does MMORPG.com gain by bringing attention to a problem that is trying to be kept under wraps by the development?

I'd say that's undermining their authority and their game.

It's going to get more people to research this exploit (if it in fact is real) and actually abuse it. 

I feel this article is unethical.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Noted

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Game is poorly designed, yes this should get more media attention because SE is doing things backwards. What's unethical is how SE treats their customers, this is just bad design and a flaw like this should of never seen the light of day.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Seriously?  You are referencing a post in your forums that links to Reddit and calling it news?

Whoa there Giraldo.

SE knows about the exploit, confirmed on 10/1 on the Japanese forums.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Square enix needs to hire me as president of international affairs. I'll plan to have an affair at least nightly.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Heretique
    Game is poorly designed, yes this should get more media attention because SE is doing things backwards. What's unethical is how SE treats their customers, this is just bad design and a flaw like this should of never seen the light of day.

+1.

I am glad i un subbed.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Alamareth

Seriously?  You are referencing a post in your forums that links to Reddit and calling it news?

Whoa there Giraldo.

Trion had some horrible security issues when they first launched. They were called to task and chose to be transparent about the issue. It garnered a lot more respect from their players and the press over the issue.

That exploit, much like this one, wasn't fixed until the player base got involved.  Hell, Trion even had the person that discovered that exploit show them how it was done.

This exploit has been at least known for a month now, and possibly more.  It obviously wasn't getting fixed until the players got involved.

Originally posted by Alamareth

Whoa there Giraldo.

Then they should acknowledge on their NA forums as well. Transparency is better than not and instills confidence in their players that they are concerned and moving on the issue. Everyone makes mistakes, especially in complex software ecosystems. Squeenix has a very old guard, sweep it under the rug, sort of mentality. That should change. What highlighting these issues can do is keep companies honest.

Do you think Sony would have just come out and publicly said "Oh, sorry we put rootkits on your hard drive. We realize now we shouldn't have done that and just wanted to divulge our horrible behavior. Here's how you clean it up." or when they were hacked and had to acknowledge the breadth and scope of their problem. No, they would have hid that unless they were called to task.

This doesn't necessarily change the quality of the game. This can keep the spotlight on them and motivate them to take greater care with quality assurance. You don't have to abandon the game or publisher as a result, but you should expect them to treat you and your sub dollars with greater respect.

Trion had some horrible security issues when they first launched. They were called to task and chose to be transparent about the issue. It garnered a lot more respect from their players and the press over the issue.

Don't just give the company a pass because you love the game and wish there were no problems. Expect them to respect you as much as they demand you respect them.

Not ignoring, but rather poking fun at this "news" article.  Your point about the communication between lead teams is valid.  It's a bad issue and the communication between JP and NOC_NA is wanting - at best.

However, it doesn't forgive lazily researched information and/or needless fearmongering.  The official forums exist for a reason, to confirm or deny things like this.  It's been beaten to death on the NA forums alone, at least half a dozen threads all with the same picture.  Granted they lock the threads that specifically call out a player, but that is forum moderation SOP.

Also, let's not mix security issues with exploits.  The existence of this specific exploit poses no risk to your account.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Just fyi for everybody. ... I didn't know about it until I read it here. Do with that what you will.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    It is called journalism! Show the public problems that companies or governments are trying to hide is the base role of a journalist.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    This thread has most of the info about it already. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397896/page/1

So what does MMORPG.com gain by bringing attention to a problem that is trying to be kept under wraps by the development?

It's going to get more people to research this exploit (if it in fact is real) and actually abuse it. 

Which should motivate SE to fix it faster, if it really is an issue.

Covering things up seldom helps anybody.

Hope its dealt with fast..because its making all my work feel like a complete joke.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Good points. This is a good start by mmorpg, but I would like to see them reach out to SE and push the issue a bit and report back even if it's a "no comment".

Right, because when I've already officially addressed an issue - I'd treat a 3rd party who declined to even read said address really kindly.

I'd give the folks over at Massively a ton more attention....at least they research and have dedicated/paid columnists that focus on a limited set of games.
  • MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

People who are not exploiting the game and unaware this exists might take caution when purchasing or subscribing to a game where 

a) this exists and,

b) is not being visibly addressed by the company.

I've read up about it and can say this.  IF this truly does exist, it is extremely easy to exploit, and almost jaw dropping that you can do it in the manner people are doing it in.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

So considering the writer here is violation mmorpg's rules maybe he needs his account suspended?

I mean serious wth reporting this thread and it really needs to be pulled.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Um? Why exactly does this exist? There have been issues in other games as well yet those were never posted, why FF14? Its a bit silly unless its actually reported by the developers. Stuff like this has happened in other games. Heck, your beloved GW2 is known for its hack potential as hackers found ways to 'teleport' around the map before, why wasn't that said? 

Just a (bluntly speaking) a stupid news thread for something MANY games have the issue for. Wait for a developer to 'acknowledge' it first, or at least have some solid good reason behind creating the topic to begin with.