Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I called it

A month or so ago I reactivated to play some WAR.  I said it would be shut down soon.  I was right.

WAR is a great game.  Sad to see it go.  With it gone the only siege games left are GW2 (blah) and Darkfall Unholy Wars (win win!  if you can handle full PVP and full loot).  Knowing an original Darkfall developer is back the future of DFUW looks great.  May be a good time to check it out when WAR's servers are shut down.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Er, that's about as amazing as predicting that tomorrow will be Wednesday, we've known about the shutdown for awhile.

There are also other siege style MMOs out there, let's see if you can find them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ivanj99ivanj99 Member Posts: 19

Daoc might be up your ally, if you can get used to the interface and making binds it actually becomes second nature and not much of a burden. Ps, I'd go with Vampires for your first character, pretty good at solo - has health regenerating properties, increased movement speed and other nifty tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XcGvK3Vly3w

Daoc little video of the Realm vs Realm

3 realms, each fighting against each other, if one gets to strong, generally 2 weak ones will work in temporary alliance to bring them down, goes back and forth.

Realm vs. Realm

Realm versus Realm is the main focus of Dark Age of Camelot. The storyline revolves around what happens after the death of King Arthur and his united kingdom falling apart. Albion, Hibernia, and Midgard are in a three way war against each other and constantly war for control of powerful relics, keeps and towers, as well as control of the entrance to Darkness Falls.

Although each realm's classes differ in specific abilities, DAoC's classes are broken down into the four common RPG archetypes: warrior 'tanks', spell casters, rogues that use stealth, and healing priests. Hybrid classes, which combine skills from any two of the archetypes, also exist in all 3 realms. DAoC's classes are balanced at the RvR level instead of in direct comparison to the other realms' equivalent classes. DAoC classes are very rigid with specific roles, play styles, and specialization point allocations.

Albion: Armsman, Cabalist, Cleric, Friar, Heretic, Infiltrator, Mauler, Mercenary, Minstrel, Necromancer, Paladin, Reaver, Scout, Sorcerer, Theurgist, and Wizard.

Hibernia: Animist, Bainshee, Bard, Blademaster, Champion, Druid, Eldritch, Enchanter, Hero, Mauler, Mentalist, Nightshade, Ranger, Warden, Valewalker, and Vampiir.

Midgard: Berserker, Bonedancer, Healer, Hunter, Mauler, Runemaster, Savage, Shadowblade, Shaman, Skald, Spiritmaster, Thane, Valkyrie, Warlock, and Warrior.

Also you could give Chivalry : Medieval Warfare

Besiege castles and raid villages in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, a fast-paced medieval FPS (Slasher with a Multi-player online focus) Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a first-person slasher with a focus on multi-player. Featuring competitive online combat that seeks to capture the experience of truly being on a medieval battlefield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qWbQAXg-6jI

Siege tutorial, general overview

In game footage, not much siege weapon action in this video, mainly personal combat, if you search around you can find some though

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

A month or so ago I reactivated to play some WAR.  I said it would be shut down soon.  I was right.

WAR is a great game.  Sad to see it go.  With it gone the only siege games left are GW2 (blah) and Darkfall Unholy Wars (win win!  if you can handle full PVP and full loot).  Knowing an original Darkfall developer is back the future of DFUW looks great.  May be a good time to check it out when WAR's servers are shut down.

Yeah lots of people called it right after launch but your timing was better :)

I might try DFUW out again some time but I did enjoy the first one better. . why oh why could they not have just introduced a skill cap!  To me it is like they pulled an NGE.

Just a note.  your post does seem more like a DFUW ad rather than a WAR comment :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    This thread isn't really about calling anything. If you look around you will see the OP just wants to advertise Darkfall because his fav dev rejoined the team. 
    Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    This thread isn't really about calling anything. If you look around you will see the OP just wants to advertise Darkfall because his fav dev rejoined the team. 

I believe he is just venting his thoughts on what he will play for PvP, that's why I posted my suggestions about DAOC and Chivalry : Medieval Warfare.

Thoughts on DF since it appears the two posters above me want to make this a Darkfall discussion...

I havn't played DF1 or UW yet, but I've heard from a few vets that it's actually doing alot better, they reduced the grind, and added some sort of prestige levels ( that are still balanced for newbies to be competitive ), and broke the skills into classes and changed the way Transfer spells work..

The only negative things I have heard about it are that Warriors are the only ones who get a fast movement ability like "bunny hopping", which can make them quite tough and obnoxiously living if they choose to run and heal, pepper with arrows, run and heal, swing weapons, don heavy armor, ect.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by ivanj99
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I believe he is just venting his thoughts on what he will play for PvP, that's why I posted my suggestions about DAOC and Chivalry : Medieval Warfare.

Thoughts on DF since it appears the two posters above me want to make this a Darkfall discussion...

I havn't played DF1 or UW yet, but I've heard from a few vets that it's actually doing alot better, they reduced the grind, and added some sort of prestige levels ( that are still balanced for newbies to be competitive ), and broke the skills into classes and changed the way Transfer spells work..

The only negative things I have heard about it are that Warriors are the only ones who get a fast movement ability like "bunny hopping", which can make them quite tough and obnoxiously living if they choose to run and heal, pepper with arrows, run and heal, swing weapons, don heavy armor, ect.

Well, since over half of the original post is about DF rather than WAR it is likely to go that way a little bit.  I think that DF is a good suggestion for old WAR players but DaoC is good as well if you are not bothered by the dated engine etc.  If he meant the thread to just be about him "calling it" then it is just going to be short lived or end up in a flame war.  It seemed he was suggesting alternates and only mentioned one so. . pretty sure the OP turned in into a DF thread before we did.

Age of Chivalry is also not bad but not really a persistent type of world is it?

Maybe we need to be crossing our fingers for Camelot Unchained or The Elder Scrolls to offer some good PvP.  Mortal Online had some great concepts with poor implementation.  Xsyon suffered from too slow development to keep people interested so we likely have to look at these two games or DFUW.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Congratulations on predicting a game that has been dying for 4 years would shut down!  On a side note, I predict every mmo will eventually close!

Having played DF in beta, launch, and sometime there-after, I fear for it if they are bringing back an 'original' dev.  I just remember thinking, "this is what took 8+ years to make? A poorly recreated Shadowbane clone with updated combat", and numerous: 'insert Greek financial crisis jokes', since it launched around that time.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Elder scrolls can't even get the Lore correct, I highly doubt they are going to do anything meaningfull or innovative, or polished with PvP.

Ever since whoever had been developing the TES series since Oblivion and Skyrim, has made a complete joke and piece of crap, both those Single player games, were tiny, very tiny and restrictive like a themepark compared to the original TES games, not to mention they took hundreds of hours of modding to make Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3/New vegas even fun or playable.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Silly rabbit.  I call the closing of Rift, WoW, EQNEXT, ESO,.........  I now get credit.  They will all eventually close.  Some quicker than others.  But still, I get the credit, hahahahahaha

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by vmoped

Congratulations on predicting a game that has been dying for 4 years would shut down!  On a side note, I predict every mmo will eventually close!

Having played DF in beta, launch, and sometime there-after, I fear for it if they are bringing back an 'original' dev.  I just remember thinking, "this is what took 8+ years to make? A poorly recreated Shadowbane clone with updated combat", and numerous: 'insert Greek financial crisis jokes', since it launched around that time.

Cheers!

Asheron's Call 1 has been around 17+ years, and was originally developed out of a small house by a team of friends, total original development time was 40 monthes and 8 monthes of beta.

the only reason it didn't boom is because they released at the same time has Sony's EQ1, and every knows the advertising power of Sony.

Check out the AC wiki below, it was so much better of a game then EQ1, just wrong place, wrong time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheron%27s_Call

http://johnny-monsarrat.com/