Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five of the Most Unappreciated MMOs

1234568»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Novusod

Rift is the total opposite of under appreciated. Rift was over hyped and over rated. Over a Million tried it at release and then most of them quit a few months later. Rift was one of the worst games I ever played.

If you want unappreciated MMOs try: Vindictus, Neverwinter, or Age of Wushu. These are the true diamonds in the rough.

agree - Vindictus is more deserving than RIFT

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by Myria

When did Fallen Earth become a sandbox?

I don't understand how you can consider it not one.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Myria

When did Fallen Earth become a sandbox?

As for Rift, much as I enjoyed my time playing it (mostly because of an awesome guild), I'd say it's one of the most overrated games out there. A game everyone raves about, but few play. You could use a picture of Rift as an example next to the words "WoW Clone", it's that blatant, not really sure how that could be a "bum rap". You may not be in Azeroth anymore, but if you squint it's easy to see how someone could make that mistake. A tiny version of Azeroth, in any event, with the most generic and forgettable lore in gaming history.

As for TSW, honestly Funcom made their bed and the game has the rep and population it deserves.

It is kind of a sad commentary on the state of gaming, however, that people actually think TSW's puzzles are head scratchers. I can't imagine what they would have thought of Riven or The 7th Guest.

Blast from the past...

Real puzzle games you have to find clues that are in the game. Most of the hard puzzles in TSW (forgot the buzz word they call those quests) you have to use the internet or be a jeopardy player.  I remember I did one and had to check google.. "I was like man where were the clues?" so I dug around more asked in game chat... and you just have to know it or google it, that was even the hook...google the solution thats how cool and elite our game is.

Um no you put clues in the game and make people find them and work them out to solve the problem, if you know it off your head points for you but you dont rely on the internet to do the real work of your quest. All they did was A and Z some had a D or a H, the rest was on the internet.

Other than #1 and #2 having some unique features that didnt sell. The rest is kinda bs.... Wakfu???? Decent browser game but seriously, and a mini-game isnt an ecosystem its not like killing off a plant will destroy half the animals in the area. Its a  mini game but nothing ground breaking.    And compared to FF tactics combat was basic and blah.  Most bot in that game for a reason.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

All are good Ryzom for example you don't just click the rock to gather resources, you can make your own skills. You can tell that it was made to be a good game and not just to make money from even playing it for 1 hours. Modern games should take example from this game.

Might get patron on rift and give that a go for 15 days why not? Probly enough time to get 50. I'd say for themepark you probly couldn't get much better.

Wakfu, I couldn't understand why it wasn't one of those packed and crowded games since I was in the Remington community and all I saw was the odd person here and there. I'd reccomend this game it's probly one of the best turn based games out there.

If you want a good sandbox why not give Ryzom or Fallen Earth a try since their examples of the best pve sandbox experience anyone could have.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Aori

That's funny if I go by this site WoW is the most "unappreciated" MMO.

This is true.  Its way better than most of the posters on this site want to admit.  

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    No World of Warcraft?  /s
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Novusod

Rift is the total opposite of under appreciated. Rift was over hyped and over rated. Over a Million tried it at release and then most of them quit a few months later. Rift was one of the worst games I ever played.

If you want unappreciated MMOs try: Vindictus, Neverwinter, or Age of Wushu. These are the true diamonds in the rough.

In what world does a game where random trash mobs drop chests in the starting zone that require you to pay real money to open, get labled "under appreciated".
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Leviathonlx
    If Rift gave me a non human race to play then they'd pull me in. But that's a major notch against a game for me when my only options are different colored humans (especially in a fantasy MMO). But alas I'm left with GW2 and WoW if I want a game that actually adds non human races (and moreso GW2 if I want said races to actually get lore)

Dont forget EQ2, best racial variety in the genre

Eh most of their animal races were just humans with animal heads and a tail thrown on. It may also just be since the games models are awful.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm going to tangent a bit, but I'd like to comment that I think overall MOST MMORPGs are under-appreciated.

The scope of MMORPG development is beyond huge.  The combination of artwork, animation, voice talent, music, programming and game design is something I think most players fail to appreciate.

We live in an age where corporate providers are expected to meet our needs.  This is in my opinion approaching the impossible.

Sure some games are slapped together hyper-commercialized crap, but others are obviously huge achievements in reaching completion and yet fail in getting the love they deserve.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I agree with TSW 100% sadly while I still play it. The combat has never been really enjoyable to me. I feel more like I'm fighting the system rather than the enemy. It's half way to being an action combat but doesn't quite make it.

And that is the problem, the quests are mostly fun once and the combat isn't enough to keep playing. So played it through once... then stopped.  Mostly the combat just lacked options. The "bugs with wings on four legs" mobs chase you around forever. So if you are losing a fight, you have to hope someone helps you out because the game doesn't give any real options. Either you win a fight easily or you die. I never felt like I was having fun in the battles and doesn't help that later mobs just turn into a never ending beat down. 

Most of these games failed because fundementally, they aren't fun to play. They are not over looked, people looked and said "no thanks".

• Paulolino34Paulolino34 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Actually wakfu isn't free. It has a endless free trial that you can play, but outside that early game area and the tutorial area you can't go anywhere else, well you can but you won't be able to do anything. Anyways it has the cheapest sub i have ever seen 5€ a month and it is definitly worth it.
  • richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84

If Dungeon Fighter Online was still around I'd put it at the top of this list.

RIP DFO...

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Age of conan should have been on this list. FAIL

• Ryha2000Ryha2000 Member Posts: 4

It's good to see TSW still in the news. I've been playing since beta and it continues to be a great game. While the combat IS the weakest point I find it engaging even in single player PvE. People say 'the game ends when you finish the story' and that is true I guess. Though there is as much story there at launch as there has been in any other mmo ever at launch. And! Despite all of the difficulty the game dev team has had over the last year (big company re-org and getting moved to another country) they have still managed to put out 8 large content updates each one adding more to the story... so in that sense the story has not even come close to running out!

The 'End Game' is grindy in the sense that there is very hard repeatable content  available for players that have gotten close to 'maxing out' their characters. For quite a while character advancement for the players doing that content has relied on gear progression.  So if you want to be a progression raider then that part of the game exists... I have played for probably an average of an hour a day since launch and have yet to run a single Nightmare instance.

Given that there is new content on a average of every other month I have just not run out of new content, though I have finished the main story line as far as it has been released.  The latest content Issue (#8) added 'Scenarios' these are dynamic challenge instances where the events and monster spawns are different every time you play. They can be done Solo, with two players (Duo) and with a group in either Normal, Elite, or Nightmare difficulties. Right now there are just 3 maps and only one objective type (defend the NPC survivors) but more are announced and will continue to be added as DLC.  These scenarios add a new end game skill progression system that while 'grindy' is more complex than normal gear progression.

Also! There have been 6 'seasonal' events since launch adding time limited open world content, some of which was quest based and other parts instance based or open world boss based... so even when you run out of story quests there is usually something interesting going on.

And lastly the next three updates are adding the next main story chapter and a full new open world zone (Tokyo)

P.S. Ok, PvP IS pretty minimal in practice, though not an un-fun diversion and source of xp/end game gear. A PvP focused Issue is promised after Tokyo is out...