Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: City of Titans KickStarter Begins

2»

Comments

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    This has scam written all over it. $320k to make an mmorpg? Really? Really?

Well, I expect all the employees being unpaid volunteers cuts down on the overhead at least somewhat.  I remain a little dubious about their actually being able to succeed but I've been following their progress since CoH shut down and I doubt they're scamming folks.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

massive multiplayer and Unreal engine do not mix well from past experiences, when referring to the real definition of mmo as stated on cryengine/unreal/valve dev forums (persistent world, 500+ users, with an example of 50+ on screen) not the mmorpg.com definition of mmo.

I hope they have an extremely talented networks programmer, because they are going to need it to pull this off. Unless of course it will be all instances. Whenever I see a Kickstarter for a MMO, the first things I look for is for their network programmer/staff/ or ideas for server architecture. If there is one thing we've learned is that a game can look amazing, but if it doesnt network well with others, it is pointless. Which is why I share the same concern that Quizzical does pertaining to their ability to deliver a working game.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    This has scam written all over it. $320k to make an mmorpg? Really? Really?

Making an MMORPG on a $320K budget might well be doable if you've got a few talented people committed to it, are going to focus on a few particular features rather than trying to do anything and everything, and don't need artwork to be either high volume or high quality, let alone both.  I'm not sure what A Tale in the Desert or Vendetta Online spent before launch, but they've both done pretty well for themselves on a shoestring budget.

The problem with City of Titans is that they don't seem to have any real plan on how they can make their game a reality on a shoestring budget.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Well for the people saying I want something for free, casting ad hominem attacks, or whatever other straw man arguments were out there, the main point I was making is they said they wouldn't do something like that and they lied and did it. Not once but twice. So after they had a month to correct it, they didn't care and left it in word for word.

I don't care if it was 25 or 100 dollars or 1 dollar. It was a bad idea to begin with in my opinion, and I was supporting them all the way up to the point where they lied and went back on their word for the easy cash grab.

They are now at 220k+ so I'm sure they don't care about this or my opinion(which was shared by quite a few people) but if they lie about this, what else could they lie about or go back on their word about? Like I said don't bring the CoH name into this if you are going to pull this crap.

There is the CoH revival effort(Task Force Hail Mary), another spiritual successor called Heroes and Villains and the reverse engineering of the original game going on. I will focus my attention on those. 

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    5 days in, 96% of $320,000 funded, with 27 days left....that's a lot of enthusiasm they will have to live up to.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Everyone who donated to this should be ashamed of themselves.  At best, its a pipe dream that will never see the light of day.  At worst, its a scam.  The people running this aren't going to use the KS money to get a working game up and running.  They're just trying to get a tech demo made so they can shop it around to publishers.  There is no way they're going make an MMO with the quality and features they're claiming with only the money they're getting from KS.  FYI, they're using the Unreal engine which means they have to give Unreal 25% of any revenue they generate, which includes the KS money.  If this didn't have the City of Heroes name "attached" to it (and only by the very thinnest and smallest way) then it most likely have been ignored like it should have been.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Everyone who donated to this should be ashamed of themselves.  At best, its a pipe dream that will never see the light of day.  At worst, its a scam.  The people running this aren't going to use the KS money to get a working game up and running.  They're just trying to get a tech demo made so they can shop it around to publishers.  There is no way they're going make an MMO with the quality and features they're claiming with only the money they're getting from KS.  FYI, they're using the Unreal engine which means they have to give Unreal 25% of any revenue they generate, which includes the KS money.  If this didn't have the City of Heroes name "attached" to it (and only by the very thinnest and smallest way) then it most likely have been ignored like it should have been.

I love all the evidence and supporting facts you have. Really makes for a strong case.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by Tygranir

I love all the evidence and supporting facts you have. Really makes for a strong case.

You really think they're going to make an MMO with all the features they're claiming will be in the game with less than $500k?  With no experienced people behind it?  Really?

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

You really think they're going to make an MMO with all the features they're claiming will be in the game with less than $500k?  With no experienced people behind it?  Really?

Look at the opening budget for the original MMOs out there. Not much different. Also, still plenty of time left in the KS. It doesn't need to be AAA for it to be good.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

At first, I was like "I am so pledging City of Titan".....but after watching the video and reading carefully, I am so not gonna pledge.

I'm not gonna repeat what many have stated already, but I don't think this game can make it.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    i prefer to burn 200 bucks in an indy dream than giving 0,01 cent to  play a game from companies like EA , NExon or Blizzard.

Add Sony to that - but yes, signed!

EA is the devil (Dark Age of Camelot put into a coma and permission pulled to create Origins server.  Warhammer being God awful)

Sony is a major demon (Eq2 and Vanguard...enough said)

Blizzard is the spirit of gluttony (all that wealth and all they do is add so many expansions on top of a flimsy foundation that it's bound to crumble down at some point..hence Project TITAN.  Here's to NOT leveling through endless empty zones to do it all again on the next expac)

and Nexon is just ugh.

"_"  my two cents!

Look at the opening budget for the original MMOs out there. Not much different. Also, still plenty of time left in the KS. It doesn't need to be AAA for it to be good.

You think an MMO in 2013 (probably more likely 2016, if at all) can be made for the same amount as an MMO in 2003?  Even those early MMO's cost more than $500k to make.  But hey, whatever man, dream the impossible dream if you want.