Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live Forum Q&A Starr Long -- Shroud of the Avatar

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Will there be a first-person perspective and if so, how immersive will it be (will it show your hands)? Thanks

• SomeguynotSomeguynot Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Darkstarr9
    Originally posted by Someguynot

Starr,

For the "card based" combat system...are you guys thinking about using some form of CAPTCHA (ala form registration) to help prevent scripting?

Interesting we had not thought of that but it would be a good script blocker although it could be super annoying too. Have to ponder.

You could probably work directly with the guy that created that system...he was recently on NPR (look it up) in an interview and he seems like the kind of guy who would love to discuss such a topic if you reached out to him.

• Darkstarr9Darkstarr9 Shroud of the AvatarMember UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by grnarrow
    Will there be crafting recipes that are only discoverable by trial and error as opposed to purchasing from vendors and trainers or through loot?  If so, what percentage of them?  How many craftable items are you shooting for at launch?

Yes there will be discoverable recipes. Not sure what percentage yet but enough to matter.

No final number yet of items. Short answer is "as many as we can". Likely in the 100s as a minimum but 1000s as a goal for base items. Then limitless when you start adding in quality variations, enchantments, affinity (leveling your weapon as you use it), etc.

Originally posted by Dyraele
    What exactly is Selective Multiplayer? Can you explain more about this?

Selective multiplayer allows you to play in one of three modes: single player online, friends only, open multiplayer

• Zook81Zook81 Member Posts: 96

1. Currently character progression is done via earning XP which levels you up. When you level up you get skill points you can use to train skill from various combat, magic, or crafting schools.

Does this mean that the leveling system acts sort of like a skill cap?

Assuming there is a maximum level.

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by LumTheMad
    Precasting? (Y/N)

Just popping in to say this made me chuckle.

My question: Often lately, we're seeing a lot of studios and publishers avoid the term "MMO".  Why do you think this is, and is it necessarily a bad thing?  How do you think Shroud of the Avatar fits into this argument?

MMO has begun to mean some very specific things. It used to be a much more open term but has narrowed over time. I think you are seeing folks shying away from it so they are not tied to a very specific set of features and mechanics. That is the main reason we use Selective Multiplayer because we want to try some different things that are not what most people consider standard and required 

Originally posted by Zook81

1. Currently character progression is done via earning XP which levels you up. When you level up you get skill points you can use to train skill from various combat, magic, or crafting schools.

Does this mean that the leveling system acts sort of like a skill cap?

Assuming there is a maximum level.

Yes that is a good summary. We want you to be able to master large amounts of skills, just not ALL of them.

Originally posted by superconducting
    Will there be a first-person perspective and if so, how immersive will it be (will it show your hands)? Thanks

First person is not currently in scope for Episode 1

• kilhwchkilhwch Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by rrashintoast

yeah, I've seen that video.  

Nothing about customizing walls individually or full loot areas. ;)

At 1:15 and again at 2:14 he drags a tapestry on the wall to a new position. 1:20 he moves a picture on the wall. Is that what you were looking for? Maybe I misunderstood. did you mean changing wallpaper/material?

Starr,

Has there been additional talk about a player bounty system?  If so, what can you tell us?  Please say yes, and then tell us a lot.

I'm a fan of a bounty system so we would love to try to get something like that in but can't promise.

• grnarrowgrnarrow Member Posts: 14
    As pledges continue to come for SotA do you expect to expand the size of your staff, or have you reached your maximum team size?
    Will there be pets that can aid you in combat, or will pets only be vanity items?
    Originally posted by Armikion
    what is the best thing you seen so far in the game? ( combat, crafting, etc etc )

Richard and Tracy's story (which we can't reveal too much) is by far the best thing so far. It is AMAZING.

Game systems wise I am very happy with how crafting, homes, and our skill trees are coming out.

Starr,

Most development teams fail to answer the hard questions because they're hard, but also because they fear that some potential fans will stop following the game...

PVP

Stealing

Bounty Systems

These are the types of mechanics that often get mentioned early in development, but then when people are talking to the devs in various opportunities "like this one" the developers skip around those questions...again, because they're hard.

If you're unable to talk about these things now, could you atleast tell us when someone WILL talk about them?  And is that date after release of the game?

Originally posted by superconducting

How destructible will the environment be?

(I guess we have to ask this one after we heard about EQNext :D)

Thanks!

I want to also take the opportunity to say the involvement you guys have had with the community is just wonderful! There are not many developers out there that actively listen to and even incorporate the ideas of fans.

We would love to have something like this just not in scope for Ep 1

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
     If life takes you away from the game then just make sure your bank account is flush with gold and we will automatically draft from your bank account. If you think you won't have enough money for a longer term absence then work with your friends and/or guildmates to help you out by designating them kindred.

That's interesting. If the taxes can be automatically paid it allays much of my concern. Cool.

• End406End406 Member Posts: 4
    Red vs Blue?   How does the pk or pvp  currently function in risk vs reward?  IE.  I'm chopping trees down and someone comes to steal from me, kill me etc?

Starr,

I was able to refer 5 people to Shroud of the Avatar because I believe in your game.  But also because I really wanted the "unique hunting dog" that was the prize for 5 referrals (offer good until October 31!).

Is there a chance that the unique hunting dog might be an Irish WolfHound?  If not, could you please change your mind and make it an Irish Wolfhound?

Starr,

Since you guys are able to create basements 5 stories down, is this the limit for unity (5 stories)?  If so, could you also create 5 story houses above ground?

In addition, why don't player houses have rooms and doors on the inside?

No unity limit on the number of floors below ground. The shear amount of space in 5 floors seemed plenty which is why we stopped there. 

We could create taller houses but it really starts to damage sight lines in the cities.

The larger houses do have rooms in them. Currently we have left doors out of most of them but they can easily be added in.

Will there be pets that can aid you in combat, or will pets only be vanity items?

Right now pets are a vanity item for Ep 1

We do have summoning spells that summon elementals, demons, and undead.

As pledges continue to come for SotA do you expect to expand the size of your staff, or have you reached your maximum team size?

We may scale the team up *slightly* but we hope to keep a small lean team.

What will be your policy about players selling virtual items (be that powerful crafted or looted items, land, houses, gold, even entire accounts) for real world money?  How will you deal with the gold sellers that are so common these days?

Starr,

I was able to refer 5 people to Shroud of the Avatar because I believe in your game.  But also because I really wanted the "unique hunting dog" that was the prize for 5 referrals (offer good until October 31!).

Is there a chance that the unique hunting dog might be an Irish WolfHound?  If not, could you please change your mind and make it an Irish Wolfhound?

So I take it you are a fan of Irish Wolfhounds? We will see what we can do (no promises). :)

• End406End406 Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering about the different class or skill options, like necromancy, tamers or playing thief classes.  Can anything be said on that topic as to what to be expected or not to be expected?
  • jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Any chance you'll show off some new gameplay video, like when you did with the 3-month demo?  If so, any ETA?
This discussion has been closed.