Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which old MMO is worth subbing?

2»

Comments

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by syriinx

EQ looks fantastic for a 15 year old game. 

Hum, no. Just no.

Wow, that actually looks better then I imagined EQ1 would look today. For 15 years it's not too bad. Not good mind you but certainly playable. I tried starting AO but the graphics and UI/controls just killed it for me. Hopefully the new engine breathes some new life into it. Miraculously it's now in closed beta.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by snoocky
    EQ1 is nice but I really hate the map....

Same kinda hope EQN doesnt have maps, but unfortuently i doubt that will happen.

Played both EQ1 AND EQ2. Both have the worse map's in any game i've played.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by snoocky
    EQ1 is nice but I really hate the map....

Same kinda hope EQN doesnt have maps, but unfortuently i doubt that will happen.

Played both EQ1 AND EQ2. Both have the worse map's in any game i've played.

You can always turn it off.

Personally i don't play games to be a cartographer. I did that in the first might & magic, and it is just tedious, easy and boring.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Does Vendetta Online count as old?

As an armchair economist, I ought to mention you can inhabit the fane 30 systems for a mere $1 per month.  I pay $7.67 per month (1 premium sub / 2 year plan + 1 lite sub), which is worth it to me.  And yes, I play religiously.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    My suggestions:
    UO if your focus is more to live in a game world rather than level a character.

I hear such great things about UO, I never played it in its day but have tried to play it 'recently' but like most old school games, The UI is a big problem.

It must be something about the era, The UI from that era is so 'clunky' and information hidden behind cascading windows makes it hard to just 'get what you need'.

it must be that today there is much more thought put into UI design, hell they have whole books on it now, much more intellectually involved.

The other thing is, Is it the same game today that people praise?

Two things there

- UO has almost no UI. A handful of windows here and there. Would be interesting to get your view on whether it's useful or not for a modern MMO gamer.

- The modern UIs are more familiar and easier to use because we have been using the same UI layout for ten years now:)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• spengosspengos Member Posts: 9

What about Darkfall? I think it's still sub based isn't it?

It's not really an old game but you could argue that most of it's features and selling points are based around hardcore/old school mmo gameplay. World pvp, if you die you lose all you gear, deep crafting that actually matters, etc.

I've never tried it as it seems a bit pvp heavy for my tastes, but other than that it looks good.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    The only MMORPG i would sub to is EVE. As for other mmorpgs to get that old feeling back OP, I wouldn't sub to current UO but i would give some of the player run shards a chance. Like www.uoforever.com  Everything else is pure utter trash
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

nvm, dont feel like dealing with images right now lol

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

Eve is and always will be worth a sub 

Lots of decent old school F2P games that used to be sub based 

RF Online ( one of my personal favorite old school games ) 

9Dragons ( a bit cheap but it has some fun moments ) 

Dekaron ( if you can find an active server ) 

Aion ( Not so old school but still so very fun ) 

Tera ( the combat system is different and very fun imo ) 

WOW ( worst game ever in IMO but the 9 or 10m active wowtards would disagree , maybe you'll like it who knows ... ) 

Darkfall ( not old school but you can build your game experience on other players tears ) Still requires sub.

Warhammer had its moments but its being shut down soon 

GW1 and 2 both worth a go

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Braindome

Sub to Ascheron's Call for a TRUE old school experience, if you want player loot PK play on Darktide server as it has the full original PK ruleset from back in the day (EQ1 doesn't even still have an ORIGINAL PK ruleset server....which is sad), it is challenging and hella fun, just like old games always were (even has corpse runs >:)), a true experience.

Just make sure to subscribe with a low limit credit card and not a bank card as they have been having some billing issues that have been multiple charging people, they refund, but best not to use a bank account or CC with high limit so it doesn't inconvenience in case it happened (they said they are going to fix the error), but never know, so be cautious here.

Also when you sub you get to play Asheron's Call 2 for free, which to me isn't as good, but there are people that loved it, but it didn't last 13 years like Asheron's Call has, but so many missed it they brought it back and I remember back in the day when people were crushed when it got canned.

Truly no way to get more nostalgia or old school than playing Asheron's Call.

Also, watch these YouTube guides to get a great headstart and tons of great needed info:

Character Build and Let's Play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjYzWnK4a0&list=PLA8BA22048B20DFD3

GREAT General Game Info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjXPjxUXUg&list=PLP8DUXJjLdVu1YwEBdPiSfF59UE6eh31_

This. Give them both a shot.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    You could always try Project 1999 which is EQ1 classic with kunark expansion only (and eventually velious).
  • korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30
    Darkfall Unholy wars, full loot pvp in a huge world very similar to mortal online. Lots of clan wars and open world pvp with no instanced fights.