Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just started and it's fun so far

Comments

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Wyrdsoul

Well I've been drawn in by free trail and lower price.

Game bought , installed and then fingers crossed played. 

So far it's been nothing but fun, loving the different races and classes skills tied to weapons. 

Questing actually has me reading the words for once. The instances are easy to get in and out of.

Have yet to give crafting ago, though this is never high one my list :)

So I'm  hoping the joy continues.

Also high on the fun meter is no on going  sub needed and maybe just maybe no cash shop needed either?

ye i thought so too, the first 30 levels:p

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Vapors

So far it's been nothing but fun, loving the different races and classes skills tied to weapons. 

Questing actually has me reading the words for once. The instances are easy to get in and out of.

Also high on the fun meter is no on going  sub needed and maybe just maybe no cash shop needed either?

ye i thought so too, the first 30 levels:p

If your thing is to hop in hop out quick static PVP fun a la Unreal Tournament, you will find lots of enjoyment at max level.

If you expect anything else (charecter progression, hard PVE content that takes months to clear with a solid guild etc), you will find it sorely lacking.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Lokberg
    Originally posted by daltanious

Gw2 is incredibly fun and complex game with one of best animations, spells, abilities, .... And all coming actually pretty cheap, buy once play for ever. You do not need really shop but as altholic have purchased more slots to have all possible combinations. And few more things.

But .... after months of gameplay I'm bothered more and more by "innovatite" questing that is much worse than classic quest hubs. Now to level to be able to progress class quest line I just find myself randomly jumping from are to are looking for "hearts" i missed once. Not fun at all. No sense of accomplishment. Not to mention "radom" events that are not to random at all. As is in some way great to return to low areas and been scaled down. Quests are this way fun. But is not fun to get loot lv. 10 for my alt i.e. lv. 50.

Would love to have classic quest system with classic progressing. Or maybe need longer break as I have played for months daily with all alts.

You cant have been playing much if you havent seen you get both, as a higher level some drops in lower level zones are the zones level some are scaled to your level.

Actually have been playing a much ... but do not have single maxed out alt yet. I'm altholic so i do not care for leveling asap, I play all possible combinations at same time, depending how I feel. Some times can play single alt for week or more, sometimes even all through day. Going as level 40 doing quests lv. 10 (just an example) NEVER got any valuable reward.

Wait your not talking about zone drops from mobs your talking about personal story  i guess, yea those drop rewards dependent on the level of the story you do and if you talk about doing level 10 hearts then ofcourse that vendor will sell items close to that level.

Everywere else in the open world dungeons fractals you get gear both from the zone and your actual level.

WvW boost your stats so you dont get 1 shot by the 80s and you still will be rewarded with items around your own level.

Doing the first dungeon ac at level 40 can give you lvl 35 (level of the dungeon) and 38-40 (the green blue gear closest to your level)  gear as a lvl 40 for example.

Edit

Tell me another game were going to lower level zones to complete the hearts aka quests were you get rewared with high level items for said quest or by killing the mobs in the zone.

Why do you think alot of high levels run around boss farming in queensdale the human starting area, they get the same boss chests from those champs as from the lvl 75-80 champs.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by PsychoticHamster
    Like most single player games, GW2 is really good the first time you level a character. Once you reach 80, its boring really fast, especially since to get to 80 you pretty much have to level in every zone,eliminating the draw of alternate leveling paths for alts. But I guess MMOs aren't just made for questing, but going through the world and exploring on your first run is probably the strongest feature of GW2, its just too bad that new exciting feeling goes away quickly. Enjoy it while you can though, the first time is really fun.

You should actual have played the game ,,,shame people like yourself feel the need to make a comment like this when it just proves you didn't even play the game

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Like most single player games, GW2 is really good the first time you level a character. Once you reach 80, its boring really fast, especially since to get to 80 you pretty much have to level in every zone,eliminating the draw of alternate leveling paths for alts. But I guess MMOs aren't just made for questing, but going through the world and exploring on your first run is probably the strongest feature of GW2, its just too bad that new exciting feeling goes away quickly. Enjoy it while you can though, the first time is really fun.

You should actual have played the game ,,,shame people like yourself feel the need to make a comment like this when it just proves you didn't even play the game

What did he say that was wrong?  I made it to level 80 on one toon, and aside from needing to level in every single zone to hit 80 (you only need to do this if you are aiming for map completion), nothing he said was false, although certainly subjective.  I felt the exact same way he did once I hit 80.  Only difference is I was about halfway through before I started to get bored with the gameplay.  The only thing that kept me going to cap was the world design, which is outstanding.  

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

What did he say that was wrong?  I made it to level 80 on one toon, and aside from needing to level in every single zone to hit 80 (you only need to do this if you are aiming for map completion), nothing he said was false, although certainly subjective.  I felt the exact same way he did once I hit 80.  Only difference is I was about halfway through before I started to get bored with the gameplay.  The only thing that kept me going to cap was the world design, which is outstanding.  

He sead " Once you reach 80, its boring really fast, especially since to get to 80 you pretty much have to level in every zone"

That means you have to acording to him play in every zone to be able to lvl to 80 which is false.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

He sead " Once you reach 80, its boring really fast, especially since to get to 80 you pretty much have to level in every zone"

That means you have to acording to him play in every zone to be able to lvl to 80 which is false.

unless you farm dynamic events, you kind of do have to make your way through the world to get to 80. Maybe that's changed cause I played during the launch month so the exp rates were probably differen't. Still, GW2 gets boring really quick and no amount of shallow "living world" quests are going to change that. If I was ANet I would work on making the core gameplay even better and more challenging, other than that I don't know what else can really turn GW2 into "the" MMO. They have a really good base, they just need to expand on it, maybe slip in some new combat/exploration features, or a zone or two. 

Well if you do more then the hearts it wont take you that long, map completion gives alot of exp and usualy there can pop a dynamic event at the heart ur doing so more exp and doing the heart at the same time.

If you then take time to gather materials to sell or craft with even more exp and then you can craft with those materials add additional exp.

Then if you want to see the whole story do the story dungeons add a bunch of exp.

I fail to see that you would have to do all 4 starting maps + the 3-4 untill you chose a order in order and after that the 3 ways each order have to orr to get to max level in the end.

More challenging game play you say well do everything 4-6 levels above you, i dubt you will survive long my friend.

First thing i would say go do the bandit veteran as level 2 alone and come back to me in a month failing to do so.

If you need a screenshot on were he is since hes off the beaten path send me a pm.

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

I certanly didnt have to level in every zone, in fact, i was overleveled for each zone on "personal story" path. 0 event grinding.

And no, xp rates are not changed since launch.

Also, game is plenty challenging, dont do faceroll content if you want challenge. I certanly had my ass handed to me more than enough times, but also i ddidnt level in Queensdale champ train or farm faceroll events or any gimmick like that.

If you want ultimate challenge go solo roam level in WWW :)

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by didjerama

I certanly didnt have to level in every zone, in fact, i was overleveled for each zone on "personal story" path. 0 event grinding.

And no, xp rates are not changed since launch.

Also, game is plenty challenging, dont do faceroll content if you want challenge. I certanly had my ass handed to me more than enough times, but also i ddidnt level in Queensdale champ train or farm faceroll events or any gimmick like that.

If you want ultimate challenge go solo roam level in WWW :)

I can confirm that the highlighted part is misinformation and is definitely wrong.

I recently leveled another char and got to 80 with under 55% of the world explored, and I never grinded events. On my first 80 (started at launch), I was also under 60% world explored.

Proof (this was taken today, when I hit 80 the map complete % was lower):

(sorry for hiding details, but I'm not very interested in the mmorpg.com trolls knowing my in game information)

So no, you don't need to grind events, and you don't have to do exactly the same areas on your alts. There's plenty of replayability in GW2.

My computer is better than yours.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

55% map completion might even be too much if you craft a tiny bit.

Between hearts, map markers, events, daily rewards, personal story, map completion, gathering, crafting, etc, other than maybe your first character where you are getting the gist of it and probably trying to follow the Personal Story back to back instead of wandering around a bit, one will generally level seamlessly.

This guy has maxed leatherworking and 400 something huntsman.

This guy has barely any points in crafting (although he did gain a few levels during the queen's jubilee).

One can reach max level without seeing half of the world.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I didn't craft at all for a reason I won't mention here, it was a challenge and crafting wasn't authorized.

But you are right of course.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by johaocarl

Originally posted by Ender4 While WoW and GW2 both have instanced based play, casual friendly leveling, pretty similar character building systems etc Are you serious? GW2 "instanced based play"? I think it is too much easy to say something bad about a game you NEVER played...

Yes. You spend a large portion of your time in GW2 sitting in an instance. Whether it be a PvP instance, the WvWvW which is all instances, dungeons which are instances, fractals which are instances, your personal story which are instances. EQ was nothing like that outside of LDON.

No, the WvWvW are just 4 large mass instances, you can't compare it to a PVP minigame like WOW's battlegrounds.

And to go back to EQ "camp the spawn for days" macro/bot area? I rather pick the "do the dungeon with your friends" content.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

I didn't craft at all for a reason I won't mention here, it was a challenge and crafting wasn't authorized.

But you are right of course.

Interestingly my level 80 Ele that has no crafting is sitting at exactly 54%.

I think reaching level 80 with no crafting and around 40-60% is probably the average.

Once one know some tricks (or just heavy craft) one can probably speed it up quite a bit.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Actually, WvWvW is not instanced. People still confuse "zone" and "instance".

Every player in WvWvW is in the same zone, therefore there's no instancing involved at all.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Every player in WvWvW is in the same zone, therefore there's no instancing involved at all.

It really isn't a zone either since it isn't permanent.  

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

It's permanent since you can access it any time. It's not like Wintergrasp in WoW (for instance) where matches only happen every 2 hours or so. The fight is available 24 hours a day.

[mod edit]

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

It isn't actually instanced but it isn't just a normal zone either. The players who can enter it rotates. It is in some magical spot outside of the server and not really part of the server itself the way zones are. To me I lump it in with instanced content, it has that same feel of being separate from the rest of the game and not part of the world itself.

As for leveling. If you do some WvWvW and some PvP and craft and do your personal story you should see around 50% of the game while leveling. You certainly shouldn't be anywhere near 100% unless you went out of your way to do so.

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

It's permanent since you can access it any time. It's not like Wintergrasp in WoW (for instance) where matches only happen every 2 hours or so. The fight is available 24 hours a day.

[mod edit]

If we are splitting hairs here, WvW, though constantly battled over, is "instanced" in the sense that there is a loading screen no matter what in order to enter, unless something changed since i last played a few months ago...where as a place like wintergrasp in WoW, though the actual battles are every 2 hours, the zone itself is in the actual game world and accessible via walking or flying, with no load screen what so ever, 24/7. As a matter of fact, if you happen to fly over it or walk into it, you get auto flagged for open world PvP (if not on a PVP server already).

Its not really fair to compare the 2 as "one being instanced", when a place like wintergrasp is literally the polar opposite of "instanced" or "zoned".

One of the things that most people forget about WoW, is that its entire game world can be accessed via mount with 0 loading screens (aside form added expansion continents). Its all one world streamed in, nothing feels disconnected. Thats someting not many MMOs can boast about.

doodphace you are talking about zones, not instances. WoW hides its zones but it still has them. Technically speaking an instance means that at some point there is more than a single copy of that zone on the same server. If you go to Wintergrasp and I go to Wintergrasp if we are both in different instances we can't see each other, that isn't how it works. In GW2 if I go to Ascalonian Catacombs and you do in a different group, we cant' see each other. It is multiple "instances" of the same zone. Same thing can happen in world zones in GW2 but only if there is overflow.

WvWvW is not instanced but it isn't exactly the same as a zone either.

• Yes starting off in GW2 is quite fun. I'll leave it at that.

doodphace you are talking about zones, not instances. WoW hides its zones but it still has them. Technically speaking an instance means that at some point there is more than a single copy of that zone on the same server. If you go to Wintergrasp and I go to Wintergrasp if we are both in different instances we can't see each other, that isn't how it works. In GW2 if I go to Ascalonian Catacombs and you do in a different group, we cant' see each other. It is multiple "instances" of the same zone. Same thing can happen in world zones in GW2 but only if there is overflow.

WvWvW is not instanced but it isn't exactly the same as a zone either.

If I go to wintergrasp...and you go to wintergrasp...and we are both from the same server....we are both there and will see eachother. Wintergrasp is the farthest thing from "instanced" as there is...heck....if one side has more players than the other, it prevents you form participating in the battle on a team, but it doesnt create a "2nd instance", because wintergrasp is not instanced.

Again, to get into wintergrasp, there is no loading screen....it is in the game world along with everyting else, and can be accessed via walking or flying mount...no loading screens, "instances" or "zoning", there is only one of it per game server, which is my point, you cant compare the 2 in order to defend GW2.

The fact that you think there are multiple instances of Wintergrasp per server leaves me somewhat perplexed.

Raids and dungons in WoW, on the other hand, are instanced....but dont bring up wintergrasp in a defence of GW2 not being "instanced"...which is all im saying....people like to bring up other MMOs in defence of theirs, I just like ensuring they have correct information ;)

And for the record, i completely understand the difference between "zoned" and "instanced"...most people use the terms interchangably (for better or for worse), because the biggest knock on having either, is that they dont feel like they are a part of the actual game world...which is true. Every area in GW2 is seperated by a loading screen (as it does in many other MMOs, such as TSW, AoC etc), but certainly not WoW. The only time u see a loading screen navigating the open world in WoW, is when you cross an ocean or enter a portal. This isnt opinion, this is fact.

If we are splitting hairs here, WvW, though constantly battled over, is "instanced" in the sense that there is a loading screen no matter what in order to enter, unless something changed since i last played a few months ago...where as a place like wintergrasp in WoW, though the actual battles are every 2 hours, the zone itself is in the actual game world and accessible via walking or flying

Loading screen has absolutely nothing to do with instances. So either you don't understand the difference or your post makes no sense at all. One or the other. In effect in WoW the phased content is instanced since some people are in one copy of the zone and some are in the other, you don't face a loading screen to enter your phase.

If we are splitting hairs here, WvW, though constantly battled over, is "instanced" in the sense that there is a loading screen no matter what in order to enter, unless something changed since i last played a few months ago...where as a place like wintergrasp in WoW, though the actual battles are every 2 hours, the zone itself is in the actual game world and accessible via walking or flying

Loading screen has absolutely nothing to do with instances. So either you don't understand the difference or your post makes no sense at all. One or the other. In effect in WoW the phased content is instanced since some people are in one copy of the zone and some are in the other, you don't face a loading screen to enter your phase.

How did me saying wintergrasp is not instanced (which is isn't), turn into me saying WoW has no phased content?.....please go reread my 2 previous posts...I already responded to one of your comments.

Someone said WvW "was not instanced like wintergrasp"....I pointed out that wintergrasp was actually part of the game world, and not a seperate zone or instanced like WvW is in GW2(zoned)...which is fact...then all of a sudden this gets turned into me saying WoW has no phased content....why does this always happen in GW2 discussions lol

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by doodphace

How did me saying wintergrasp is not instanced (which is isn't), turn into me saying WoW has no phased content?.....please go reread my 2 previous posts...I already responded to one of your comments.

Someone said WvW "was not instanced like wintergrasp"....I pointed out that wintergrasp was actually part of the game world, and not a seperate zone or instanced like WvW is in GW2(zoned)...which is fact...then all of a sudden this gets turned into me saying WoW has no phased content....why does this always happen in GW2 discussions lol

Thats because www is not instanced.

A zone is a part of the world that you can access through various mechanisms, be it seamless, or through a portal, or through another way.

An instance is when there are several versions of the same zone on the same server, and people in different versions can't interact with each other.

Wintergrasp, WvWvW = zones, but not instances.

Ascalonian catacombs, SPvP, Alterac Valley, Arathi Basin, Molten Core, phased areas, etc... = instances.

When a zone is unique and common to all players, it can't be an instance. WvWvW is not an instance.