Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ohhhhh, now it all makes sense...

FrekFrek Member UncommonPosts: 53

This week I've been downloading F2P or games with free trials and checking them out. Yesterday it was Dragon's Prophet, on their boards you can read how that's a game you couldn't pay me to suffer playing through.

I was fully intending to make a post on here that basically had the following points about Terra:

- worst community of any game I've played, the starting zone was crowded with players that seemed to be having a kill stealing competiton. In my 30 mins of play time It was really difficult to just be able to fight one mob without other players interfering. Especially players that have mounts that look like lions.

- Chat is filled with players insulting each other and calling others "noobs".

- after waiting for a 32 GB download Terra was quite a disappointment

I would have looked pretty silly posting the above, because I just learned why there were so many people in the starting zone, they were all people that already play the game and had just made toons for the promotion. They were bored and were doing generally silly stuff at the starting point, like running around and wiping stuff out, all the stuff in chat was people just horsing around.

I know it was not intended but last night left a pretty sour taste for my first impression of Terra. I logged off in total disgust and deleted the huge install from my HD thinking I'd never touch this one again.

At least I understand what was happening now and why everyone had this "levelup" thing attached to their name. I may try Terra again in the future, but I'm not downloading that 32 GB again right now.

Anyways, I'm sorta getting a chuckle about it right now but last night I was pretty angry when I logged out.

Comments

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37

One thing that many people overlook is that there's anywhere from 4 to 10 channels/instances for every area. The channels allow you to be completely alone if you so desire.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

What mmo is not filled with ignorance and juvenile behavior in its chat?

this is more of a problem with internet anonymity 

Its a sign of the times and not just the games, although one might think because its f2p it is doomed but many p2p games suffer with the same. It is a evil unfortunately we must deal with.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

You could have just downloaded with Happy Cloud. its lets you start playing the game when you have downloaded 10% of the game or something like that. Would have saved you all the trouble of downloading all 32 GB. Pretty sure the link is on the same page as the regular download.....

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nevulus

EQ1 comes to mind.

Yea, the 90s games were awesome, all of them. Modern games just don't have the class like they used to.

Fuck i am old.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

EQ1 comes to mind.

Maybe now, back in the day it did. Just like UO did.

Take off those rose colored glasses.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

"Welcome to every MMO, welcome to your typical F2P title with no gm service" came to my mind but you already heard that as variation. So i'll try to actually say something usefull (;

You can setup another tab as default that has no global chat but local chat/group chat/clan chat/raid chat and personal messages combined. That should bring you through the whole game, I don't think i ever used global chat for anything but shouting for trades.

LFG!
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    My experience with Tera was similar. I bought it on sale when it went  b2p and lasted a day or two, I think.  People rave about the combat, but I just found it dizzying.  Really do not see the appeal in this game.  Worst example of MMO questing and, of course, the community you mention.
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

How about some cheese with that whine..image

At least they have a chat system that does not cost 5 bucks to chat on..image And you uninstalled it because of it?image Excuse me while i LOL,ROFL....image Also those Lions mount are the players elite status for tera..For another words they pay 14.99 a month or what ever it may be..At least they dont leech off the game and complain about it!

I retired retroactively..Haha

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Skyrim seems to be the best modern MMORPG there is....

It has it all

- Ton of solo quests 

- Even more content you can solo with ease after you out-level it a bit

- Fantastic story, that took 200 hours but somehow I can't remember anything but the last fight ....

- Starting area is for me only, no mob contesting going on here!

- The community is the best there is, as nonexistant equals to neutral, which is better than all the negative ones I complain about

- Chat is conveniently quiet

- Best buddies are still in voice coms when needed

- So many classes to choose from! Basically everyone eventually is a demigod...

- RPG elements without other people messing with them ... alone with NPC's ...

Oh, and only takes 28 gb because that matters a lot in the age when 1000gb costs 30 bucks...

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    To OP...you tried the wrong game...Terra....try Tera :)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

EQ1 comes to mind.

EQ1 does come to mind, I met some of my best online gaming buddies during that era, and we stuck together many years after. But alas those days are over. Those were the days when your online rep mattered....

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Eluwien

Skyrim seems to be the best modern MMORPG there is....

It has it all

- Ton of solo quests 

- Even more content you can solo with ease after you out-level it a bit

- Fantastic story, that took 200 hours but somehow I can't remember anything but the last fight ....

- Starting area is for me only, no mob contesting going on here!

- The community is the best there is, as nonexistant equals to neutral, which is better than all the negative ones I complain about

- Chat is conveniently quiet

- Best buddies are still in voice coms when needed

- So many classes to choose from! Basically everyone eventually is a demigod...

- RPG elements without other people messing with them ... alone with NPC's ...

Oh, and only takes 28 gb because that matters a lot in the age when 1000gb costs 30 bucks...

When I started playing Skyrim I had the same feeling.   Dam, this would be a good MMO .    Somehow I just don't have faith in Zenimax to make it happen.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Frek

This week I've been downloading F2P or games with free trials and checking them out. Yesterday it was Dragon's Prophet, on their boards you can read how that's a game you couldn't pay me to suffer playing through.

I was fully intending to make a post on here that basically had the following points about Terra:

- worst community of any game I've played, the starting zone was crowded with players that seemed to be having a kill stealing competiton. In my 30 mins of play time It was really difficult to just be able to fight one mob without other players interfering. Especially players that have mounts that look like lions.

- Chat is filled with players insulting each other and calling others "noobs".

- after waiting for a 32 GB download Terra was quite a disappointment

I would have looked pretty silly posting the above, because I just learned why there were so many people in the starting zone, they were all people that already play the game and had just made toons for the promotion. They were bored and were doing generally silly stuff at the starting point, like running around and wiping stuff out, all the stuff in chat was people just horsing around.

I know it was not intended but last night left a pretty sour taste for my first impression of Terra. I logged off in total disgust and deleted the huge install from my HD thinking I'd never touch this one again.

At least I understand what was happening now and why everyone had this "levelup" thing attached to their name. I may try Terra again in the future, but I'm not downloading that 32 GB again right now.

Anyways, I'm sorta getting a chuckle about it right now but last night I was pretty angry when I logged out.

You do know there are pvp and pve servers right?...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by f0dell54

EQ1 comes to mind.

Maybe now, back in the day it did. Just like UO did.

Take off those rose colored glasses.

I don't know what game you were playing, but I found EQ1 had a far better community than any game I've tried since (not saying all were bad). For every idiot that tried to start crap, 20 or more people would tell them to zip it and add them to a list and soon they wouldn't be able to get a group. With games being so solo focused that doesn't work anymore.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

i just don't get what the op is trying to say??

what is wrong with the game, am playing these days and its a cool game