Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The banning by Red 5 has started... beware.

BlotieBlotie Member UncommonPosts: 29

Before you play FF or spend a dime on it... something to consider...

I have been a player of Firefall for over a year and a half.  There are a lot of great things about this game but it definitely has some serious issues.   I thought I would briefly share my experience with others.

Several months ago the Devs started editing post/polls on their forums as well as being not so friendly to posters that posted anything negative about the game or company.  The ban hammer soon followed and people started being banned for being negative.  The hammer got me today when I pointed out that the upcoming patch has no new content and there is none in the foreseeable future.  That seems to get you banned without warning.

I am sure things are stressful at Red 5 with the recent layoffs and the shutting down of PvP.  It is unfortunate that they are taking it out on the community that has been with them for a while and provided feedback both negative and positive.

But after all it is just a game and there are plenty of them out there!  Besides, FF was starting to remind me of War Z.

Comments

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Blotie

I have been a player of Firefall for over a year and a half.  There are a lot of great things about this game but it definitely has some serious issues.   I thought I would briefly share my experience with others.

Several months ago the Devs started editing post/polls on their forums as well as being not so friendly to posters that posted anything negative about the game or company.  The ban hammer soon followed and people started being banned for being negative.  The hammer got me today when I pointed out that the upcoming patch has no new content and there is none in the foreseeable future.  That seems to get you banned without warning.

I am sure things are stressful at Red 5 with the recent layoffs and the shutting down of PvP.  It is unfortunate that they are taking it out on the community that has been with them for a while and provided feedback both negative and positive.

But after all it is just a game and there are plenty of them out there!  Besides, FF was starting to remind me of War Z.

Nope , can't see why that happened at all.

This could end up being very interesting.

• BlotieBlotie Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Rorhc

Nope , can't see why that happened at all.

Surprisingly, Red 5 is the one that stated there will be no content in the next patch.  They are concentrating on bugs and have stopped working on content altogether.  

• Souleater42069Souleater42069 Member Posts: 7
    That sounds like a great thing to me. That is the reason I quit mortal online, instead of fixing bugs they added a animation content pack. As far as banning you, you didn't paste your post you sure you weren't being volgure.
    Originally posted by Souleater42069
    That sounds like a great thing to me. That is the reason I quit mortal online, instead of fixing bugs they added a animation content pack. As far as banning you, you didn't paste your post you sure you weren't being volgure.

My last post:

<blockquote ugc="" basehtml"="">No, they are not new content with the possible exception of the new user experience if it exists. You can attempt to argue the definition of content but we all know what it is. Sorry but there is no way to spin the lack of content. When the next patch hits, there will be nothing new to do in the world.

As for personal attacks, that would be the last sentence in what I quoted above and your comment about making things up. Sorry but I am not going to get any further involved with the FF forum drama. Attitudes from posters and even one Dev are already harmful to FF. No point in me making it worse by engaging in similar postings. Good luck to you.

I posted/played as Wickedocity.  The thread that led to my banning:

http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/vip-program-and-pricing.2408621/page-15#post-38600621

You can go to the forums and search post by my name.  Not a single vulgar, rude or personal post.  You will even find many praising the game.

Sadly, the game and community seem to be imploding.  They must be swinging the ban hammer like crazy today.  Go read their forum.   It is sad and yet hilarious in its own way.
  • iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

You'd see the opposite end of this spectrum, if you checked out the Defiance forums.

Players openly post in the worst ways possible, even to the extent of calling out Devs by name & making personal attacks on them. There are even threads about GTA5 / GTAO, and I mean threads where players recruit for clans, discuss gameplay, complain about gameplay, everything - all in the official Defiance game forums.

The worst I've seen there is that a thread is sometimes closed, and players sometimes receive "infractions" from the forum mods; it is a common practice to take the verbiage of the infraction and add it to your forum signature. It's pathetic. 

I'd read your post - it sounded like you were giving them feedback, not talking smack at all. Maybe they have some new moderators. Have you tried emailing their forum admin / forum support? I'm sure you can go over the moderator's head, and ask to be reactivated.

Originally posted by iJustWant

You'd see the opposite end of this spectrum, if you checked out the Defiance forums.

Players openly post in the worst ways possible, even to the extent of calling out Devs by name & making personal attacks on them. There are even threads about GTA5 / GTAO, and I mean threads where players recruit for clans, discuss gameplay, complain about gameplay, everything - all in the official Defiance game forums.

The worst I've seen there is that a thread is sometimes closed, and players sometimes receive "infractions" from the forum mods; it is a common practice to take the verbiage of the infraction and add it to your forum signature. It's pathetic. 

I'd read your post - it sounded like you were giving them feedback, not talking smack at all. Maybe they have some new moderators. Have you tried emailing their forum admin / forum support? I'm sure you can go over the moderator's head, and ask to be reactivated.

The person that started swinging the hammer was just reassigned to another position in the company but I have no desire to return.  The whole experience just left me soured on the game.  The game appears to be dying anyway.  No need to waste time playing when there is so much more out there.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The game is far from dead. Interesting that last night I saw people doing PvP with flags on their backs in Copa. The mod you were talking about is the one who wrote the long "no more negative posts" thread (I assume). There was a lot of negativity on the site and we do need more of an expansion, but they did the right thing by taking care of the bugs first and giving new players a better start Ithe game was very confusing at first).
  • KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79
    That's what you get for being a smart ass to the community manager, funny it doesn't seems you linked your post to that page.  Maybe this http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/vip-program-and-pricing.2408621/page-9 not saying your right or wrong but don't sell your shit on a lie.
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    That is too bad man, but honestly this is something you and every other gamer better get used to...and i dont mean you have to accept it, I mean you just need to walk away, sadly the all seeing eye is going to try to control the population into believing that what they produced is the best thing ever, if you try to stand up, they will lock you out, its sad times, like this website, its a good idea, until it sold out, hell im willing to bet mmo-rpg are share holders in most of these shitastic games that it promotes, they are all bad, mark my words, SOE is a bad company stop buying their products right now, they've been undermining the mmo community for a decade now, blizzard is following suit, all these companies are after your hard earn dollars, these games are introduced, then asked to be funded by people, then tell the people they can play for free, then makes cash shops, rake in a few million dollars, and then let the games rot out, and then they make a new game and rinse wash repeat, its more effective than selling a single player game like zelda for instance, because instead of making 60 dollars on a game, they are raking in probably close to 300 dollars minimum off any working person. think before you buy, preview and review, firefall is done its failed, FFARR is done its failed, wow is done its failed, sure they still have subs still making money, but their subs are falling off, these companies are producing for tomarrow, not for next generation. Its a bad way to do buisness, its almost like they are playing you like the stock market...think about it

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20

I read the whole thread.  

I thought the posts from Phobos were sarcastic, fearful, and sad to read.  

No forum moderator should be insulting posters and defending every negative comment with an equally poor attitude.

He seems very insecure, which makes the company seem insecure.

And as for your argument, although it was a bit dramatic and petty....nowhere near ban-worthy.

On a funny note, that last idiot who said you used the "No true Scotsman" fallacy did not understand what the "No true Scotsman" fallacy is; because you didn't use it....what is funnier is that he even linked the wikipedia for it, which clearly and conveniently shows that he misunderstood the meaning of it after even going so far as to infer that he was  a "logic buff".

Good stuff.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

OP, ... something personal ... stfu ^^

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Firefall is going down a pretty obvious path. The recent ramp up in moderation and banning is them trying to save face and protect interests for as long as possible until the jig is up.

It started with "vocal minority" as they put it, and now even some of  their die hard fans whom one would consider "fan boys" are getting restless and upset with the lack of progress, back tracking, and dream selling.

They're simply not delivering anything remotely close to what they were advertising and marketing. They have managed to come up with all types of new ways to monetize eager fans  before they even have 20% of a full game that doesn't have pretty serious bugs. Be prepared to hear a whole lot more about "technical limiations" for things they stated they were doing from 2 years ago. I won't even get into how poor the combat is. Not one significant improvement.

Rather than get yourself personally invested and frustrate yourself by trying to speak out on the FF forums I think it's time for people to step away from Firefall, Red5 and let nature take it's course. I simply log-on to see what the new patches bring and end up logging back off for good after 1-2 days of trying it out.

I think everybody deep down knows where this game is headed regardless of the potential we all see it having. Red 5 needs a leadership and direction change yesterday.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

I think it's refreshing that a moderator would step up the oversight. I don't approve of them 'lashing' out in defense of the negativity, but I do think it's appropriate to call out those commenters that spout useless FUD just because they 'feel' that they're in the right.

Your comment that 'no new content is coming out' ... seriously, how would someone know that? Maybe the developers and those close to them would, but I'm betting that NO developer would slander their own product and then plaster it over forums.

I know the argument: "this is the intraweb bro... get used to it", but we've lost some basic respect for fact and have let our personal insight take over. Facts are facts, if you don't know then you are just speculating. Speculation, when it's misguided, just muddies the water and that's not productive nor is it good for the developer.

So +1 for the mods to delete/ban/reject comments that are fueled with vitriol and misdirection.

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

I think it's refreshing that a moderator would step up the oversight. I don't approve of them 'lashing' out in defense of the negativity, but I do think it's appropriate to call out those commenters that spout useless FUD just because they 'feel' that they're in the right.

Your comment that 'no new content is coming out' ... seriously, how would someone know that? Maybe the developers and those close to them would, but I'm betting that NO developer would slander their own product and then plaster it over forums.

I know the argument: "this is the intraweb bro... get used to it", but we've lost some basic respect for fact and have let our personal insight take over. Facts are facts, if you don't know then you are just speculating. Speculation, when it's misguided, just muddies the water and that's not productive nor is it good for the developer.

So +1 for the mods to delete/ban/reject comments that are fueled with vitriol and misdirection.

The Devs actually stated they had stopped working on content to focus on bugs.  They stopped working on PvP and removed it completely.   Dont know what to tell you.  I could link to the Devs post but I dont pay attention to FF any more.  I was merely providing a warning.

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Vynxe_Vainglory

On a funny note, that last idiot who said you used the "No true Scotsman" fallacy did not understand what the "No true Scotsman" fallacy is; because you didn't use it....what is funnier is that he even linked the wikipedia for it, which clearly and conveniently shows that he misunderstood the meaning of it after even going so far as to infer that he was  a "logic buff".

Good stuff.

Yeah I read that and scratched my head. For a "logic buff" he clearly had zero idea what no true scotsman means. 

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Over the years I have learned NEVER to post anything critical on official game forums.  Come here or some other gaming forum to do that.  It makes sense the company wants to put their best foot forward and may want to limit the amount of negativity about their game. Hell, I might even do the same thing.  Just understand that and you should be fine. 
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

I probably read your post at some point. After the patch there were so many pointing out that there was no new content. Some were constructive, some were not. Ultimately though Red5 had stated clearly that this patch would be bug fixes and minor improvements and that's exactly what it was.

Red5 has been very open to community feedback. I believe it is definitely shape the game. However some people, not accusing OP BTW, are just insulting. Their comments bring nothing to the table but negativity. Negativity does not make a good game, it just brings the community down! 

To the person who stated they are not working on new content, not true. Content and game features are in the works as sated on multiple occasions by various team members. If Red5 can keep it together and stay focused they will ultimately have one of the most original games released in years. Don't believe, come try it for yourself.

Peace

• scoobyderpscoobyderp Member Posts: 2

The person that started swinging the hammer was just reassigned to another position in the company but I have no desire to return.  The whole experience just left me soured on the game.  The game appears to be dying anyway.  No need to waste time playing when there is so much more out there.

Phobos was a horrible community manager and I've always thought that for the nearly year and a half I was involved in the game. I have no idea where they picked that guy up from but he's about the last person I'd want as the 'public face' of a product I'm making. I've seen the guy threaten a ban on a player claiming a person was spreading misinformation only to have the player post links supporting their claim only to have Phobos lock the thread and ban the player anyway. That is not to mention is generally sarcastic and d-baggy way of dealing with the public or complete lack of moderation on personal attacks toward players with 'less-than-stellar' feedback. 

I really want to know how Phobos still has a job. I mean, the guy has the mentality of a middle school child with too much 'power' at his fingertips and it shows in the way he treats others. Instead of stuffing him back into the dark hole they found him in they give him another job title. 

I heard that FadedPez (Frank I think is his real name?) took over his spot and if so that is a very, very good thing. He's a genuinely nice guy and I think the players that come to the forums will see a change/shift in the overall postings if he takes over. He actually treats others with respect and (surprise, surprise!) players usually give it in return.

I found the forum mods to be quite respectful and communicative. I had an issue with losing the charge up sound for Tigerclaws and got a great response from the company.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by KaosLegion
    That's what you get for being a smart ass to the community manager, funny it doesn't seems you linked your post to that page.  Maybe this http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/vip-program-and-pricing.2408621/page-9 not saying your right or wrong but don't sell your shit on a lie.

Yes, I remember that one... Taunting Phobos isn't one of the brightest moves at this point... ^^  Red5 does try, and they have some VERY talented/creative people. I'm hoping that things eventually work out for them.  A studio in full production cycle is stressful enough, without having to deal with all manner of drama and other such.  Lets just hope for the best.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    People get suspended and banned here on mmorpg.com for just posting negative posts as well. I don't really see how these forums are any differen't then any others. You can be banned for any reason on any forum. That is their right, just as it's mmorpg.com's right to run their forums as they see fit. If you don't like it. Don't visit the forums. I don't even hardly visit any games forums that I'm playing because most of the people are just people acting like childern complaining and trolling anyways.
    Originally posted by trash656
    People get suspended and banned here on mmorpg.com for just posting negative posts as well. I don't really see how these forums are any differen't then any others. You can be banned for any reason on any forum. That is their right, just as it's mmorpg.com's right to run their forums as they see fit. If you don't like it. Don't visit the forums. I don't even hardly visit any games forums that I'm playing because most of the people are just people acting like childern complaining and trolling anyways.

True but Red 5 claimed to be different and they were for the first year or so.  Then it got ugly when the Devs started being rude to people for giving them the input the once sought.  Sad but predictable I guess.

Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by KaosLegion

Yes, I remember that one... Taunting Phobos isn't one of the brightest moves at this point... ^^  Red5 does try, and they have some VERY talented/creative people. I'm hoping that things eventually work out for them.  A studio in full production cycle is stressful enough, without having to deal with all manner of drama and other such.  Lets just hope for the best.

Oh I don't doubt my banning weeks later was purely Phobos based. lol   He didn't like it when people pointed out he was being rude and insulting to players.  I don't doubt he was looking for any reason to ban many people which he did.  My post in the days before I was banned were harmless but whatever.

It is unfortunate one person had such a negative impact on the community when there are so many great people at Red 5 but in the end the management at 5 let him have his way with the forum so they are just as responsible.  Replacing him with FadedPez was a good idea and he should have been in charge to start with.  Too little too late in my case.  I will not return when my ban is up.  5 just isn't a company I am willing to patronize after the way it treated its community.

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

The hammer got me today when I pointed out that the upcoming patch has no new content and there is none in the foreseeable future.

Do people often come to your place of business and harass you with claims that you don't work nor do you plan to work in the foreseeable future? The developers are developing, let it develop.

This explains everything about the state of the game.  Be sure to read the replies.

www.reddit.com/r/gamingnews/comments/21gs8f/gaming_news_red_5_studios_rotting_from_the_inside/

I just want to add that this game has the potential to be something very special. Red 5 you need to clean house. There is a lesson from history. There were many Pharaohs of Egypt and many treated their subjects very poorly. But there was this one Pharaoh and his son who decided to not be so concerned with abusing their subjects and build something great. Today we can still see their masterpieces....the great pyramids. Poor leadership accomplishes very little. If you have a tyrant in the workplace it will negatively affect your employees and productivity. Hire good people and let them fly. Then you will have success.