Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Synchronization between Solo - Online modes

GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
So what happens if in my solo play i purchase a plot of land and build a house, and then decide to play online? How will the game synchronize my world status with the other players' world status? What will happen if another player has already purchased in his solo play the plot of land that i purchased?

Comments

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    It'll probably be like Diablo 2 where any offline play can't be ported to online in ANY WAY whatsoever.  Not unless they want a ton of hackers to have a field day, at least.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    ok, fair enough. So it's actually a different session between the two modes, you could have a different character for solo and online.
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    It'll probably be like Diablo 2 where any offline play can't be ported to online in ANY WAY whatsoever.  Not unless they want a ton of hackers to have a field day, at least.

This is the case. Your offline characters won't be available in the online version because two people can't occupy the same plot of land in the online. 

• SeirSeir Member Posts: 2

Also note that online can be played solo, in fact you will have a lot of control over who if anybody you will see online.  You can choose from single player online (solo) to friends online (friends only) to open player online (anyone).

• Mystic_FuzzMystic_Fuzz Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Correct, single player and multiplayer will be two completely different worlds. You'll even be able to mod the single player version (which is one of the reasons you can't port to multiplayer). However, I believe there will be a setting that will allow you to play a "single player" version in the multiplayer generated world using the selective multiplayer slider. It will simply hide all the players from view.

Ultima Online
    Mystic of The Fallen Lords (Pacific 98-01)
    Mystic of Catskills (03 - 08)

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130

There have also been a few chats about how you can play offline mode for a short period of time, ie on a plane or internet offline, and still be able to carry some of that through back with you into online mode. So seems like that is on the table also.

• Link_of_HyruleLink_of_Hyrule Member UncommonPosts: 4

It's a little more intricate than is described here. Currently temporary offline although it has been brought up by Richard on several occasions isn't going to be in Episode 1 I've had that clarified by the devs a few times. As for Single player if you're in Single Player Online than it's exactly the same synced world as Friends Only and Multiplayer Online so if you have a house in a plot everyone sees it and you can't place a how where someone else has placed their house even if you're in Single Player Online.

You can find more information about how online works in this thread sotawiki.net/sota/Selective_Multiplayer_Online