Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon's Prophet or Final Fantasy 14?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

After GW 2 I said I wont play any ThemeParks again but heck, I am bored. So which of these two should I play? I prefer PvP over PvE and I prefer leveling to be slow and hard over quick and easy. Finally I prefer sub. based over F2P.

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Also, GFX is quite important as well. Animations and effects the most.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Neither game fits what you are looking for. There is no mmo out right now that has hard / slow leveling unless you go back to an old school game like Final Fantasy XI or Lineage 2.
  • neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I beta tested Dragon Prophet for a short time and did not like it.  FF14, I enjoy it but waiting for it to implode.  There is a PVP patch soon I think arena stuff but that is about it for PvP.  Leveling can be slow if you do not rush but there is a few easy ways to rush like fate grinding.  I like not having to roll alts.  One character can play all roles just by swapping weapons.  You will have to level up different classes depending on weapon.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It sounds like you have no homework or have not played FF before so you should go try Dragon's Prophet.Simple reason is i see you quitting both within a week ore two,so no sense seeing another bored person bash FFXIV when it is clearly a decent game with a big budget.DP has literally no players,so i doubt if you come back bashing the game,will it do any harm.

IMO DP is a perfect example of lack of marketing,it is not that bad,it deserves a bit better following than it has.Yes it lacks some depth in the game,too much or i should say ALL the focus is on the dragons that also do not have enough depth within their design either.

Bottom line is you don't play a game because you are bored,you play it because you are truly interested in it and want to play it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Bottom line is you don't play a game because you are bored,you play it because you are truly interested in it and want to play it.

Well, obviously, that is the ideal situation but now I am bored and need to play something as I got tired of the single player games I got.

Probably will try Dragon's prophet as it is free but would like to support a sub. based MMO. Not sure FF 14 is my type of game though.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Outta sheer boredom, definately go for Dragons Profit, Rift, Terra or some other F2P MMO...plenty of selection. After spending some time in FF 14, I would say all three of these games offer just as much if not more in the way or graphics, exploration,  and just fun in general. I'm not a big fan of F2P either and would much rather a sub game...but until one comes out that I feel is worth a monthly sub...will keep hittin the F2P.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    None of the hip new releases fit what you ask for.  Dig deeper my friend.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Why is this thread in the gw2 forums? Has nothing to do w/ the game.

Anyway, Dragon's Prophet is free, so u can easily try it out. FF14 is a sub, but is a much more polished game than DP. If you have the money, I'd recommend FF14, but it is most definitely a themepark / pve-based trinity gear grind (a.l.a. WoW). So know what you're getting into. DP has some interesting ideas, but imho the cashshop kinda ruins it, and it's not a very well executed game.

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

I would say try EVE Online.

Its huge, takes a while to "level" up. Longer if your aiming for the bigger stuff.

PvP is a big part of the game.

It looks great. Animations... Well... It looks good. -hehe- Not much to animate when flying big spaceships. But they do have the Quarters in the Stations where you can walk around in a small area. Not much else though.

Its a P2P game, unless you can make enouth ingame money to pay for the sub that way and make it a F2P game. Well, not really F2P anyways, since you must earn enouth each month to keep it F2P.

I cant think of any other gamer out there with a slow(er) progression with PvP and sub.

So I'm just throwing this out here.

If you have not tried EVE there are free trials.

• freegefreege Member UncommonPosts: 75

I had a great time playing RIFT, People say its a WoW clone but its far from it.

There was quite alot of open world PVP when i was playing aswell.

• VelqorVelqor Member Posts: 33

Have you people even played dragon's prophet? Compared to most other mmorpg's it takes a while to reach max level.

That isn't a positive thing though because sometimes there aren't enough quests, so you have to do public events and dungeons (i think that's wrong, you should have the choice instead of being forced to do these things instead of questing)

Overall i really like the game. I'm just not really sure how long it will stay fun when i'm max level.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    DP levelling is much much slower than FFXIV. Also it will take you a while to perfect your dragon stable and build.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    I think you have the wrong sub forum, OP
    Originally posted by aesperus

Why is this thread in the gw2 forums? Has nothing to do w/ the game.

Anyway, Dragon's Prophet is free, so u can easily try it out. FF14 is a sub, but is a much more polished game than DP. If you have the money, I'd recommend FF14, but it is most definitely a themepark / pve-based trinity gear grind (a.l.a. WoW). So know what you're getting into. DP has some interesting ideas, but imho the cashshop kinda ruins it, and it's not a very well executed game.

Oops sorry. Mods please move it to general discussion forum.

But thanks all for answering. Probably going for FF 14 as it seems a much more polished game with more depth.

Originally posted by freege

I had a great time playing RIFT, People say its a WoW clone but its far from it.

There was quite alot of open world PVP when i was playing aswell.

I tried Rift a couple of years ago and altough the class system was nice, the PvP was non existant outside of arenas. Maybe that has changed?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Dragons Prophet is better then Final Fantasy XIVimage
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    FF has more polish, but not depth. DP has far more depth, FF is very shallow.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Might want to check out AngryJoe's review of DP, its seriously bad, neat idea behind it, just poor implementation.

Lots of games out there to be played, though my money is on FFXIV:ARR image

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    If I had to pick I'd say Dragon's Prophet but neither are very good IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Here's the problem from my view (and apparently everyone elses')

FFXIV has NO PvP, is all themepark, but has a pretty good story.  It also has good graphics.  It's still in newbie mode so it'll be easy to pick up and get a group to run through the story.  You could probably casually get through it in a month or two.  If you go all hardcore it'd be less than a month.

Dragon's Prophet was atrocious.  I couldn't play for more than a few hours.  Graphics were bland and outdated.  And I just didn't have any FUN when I was fighting.

• silent420silent420 Member Posts: 1

Well, i don't really think either of those will work out for you. I found FFXIV to be the more enjoyable, actually quite like the game. But it's actually similar to GW2(liked gw2 alot too, but it got rather boring), with out the pvp/WvW. I can't speak much for DP, but i didn't like it from the hour or so i played felt stale and combat was pretty meh IMO.

I've been pretty much in the same boat, looking for a pvp game that isn't super easy to level in. Even though ill go back to FFXIV, i'm not holding out for the PvP actually being great, i could be wrong. But for the moment it seems the pvp patch at first is going to be more like arena stuff, and  i prefer open world pvp think they may add that but probably not till the next 2 or three updates maybe.

DP is free to play so no harm in downloading it to check it out. Didn't seem too populated in lower levels to me, checked it out yesterday early in the morning though.  FFXIV isn't that expensive either really, 30$. was 20$ somewhere but i can't remember where.