Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Globe Trotting in the Latest Developer Diary

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The 2nd developer diary for EverQuest Next is up on the official SOE YouTube and this time focuses on exploring the world with Creative Director Jeff Butler, and Art Director Rosie Rappaport. Watch the full video below!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I admit this sounds interesting. LIke many others my biggest complaint is the cartoon style. If they can deliver on the promises they made, perhaps this can be overlooked.  Wait and see at this point.  They talk about fast travel and hopping to other servers.  I wonder how big the world will be.

Also, a bit confused when they talk about procedurally generated and hand crafted "biodomes".  I thought these were mutually exclusive terms. If it is hand crafted how could it be procedurally generated.  Probably just confused on this point.  I think of minecraft as procedurally generated and not handcrafted.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah well, that sounds cool. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I enjoyed this video.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Also, a bit confused when they talk about procedurally generated and hand crafted "biodomes". I thought these were mutually exclusive terms

Not at all. The basic world is procedurally generated but players are allowed to hand craft content to fit into that basic world. This is why every single server will look different in this game while almost every other MMORPG made has every single server looking the same.

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    So they are speaking about LANDMARK again?? sigh... Hopefully u cant server bounce in EQNEXT at will.
  • bexinhbexinh Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Wowwwww, server travel. I like that idea.
  • ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39
    I like what I'm seeing. Though I'm a little worried about landmark. Sure exploration is fun, but TO ME, there need to be some other gameplay other than build and exploration.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ChaaK
    I like what I'm seeing. Though I'm a little worried about landmark. Sure exploration is fun, but TO ME, there need to be some other gameplay other than build and exploration.

SOE will be adding combat and pvp to Landmark

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10/02/everquest-next-landmark-combat-will-mirror-eq-nexts/

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by flizzer

I admit this sounds interesting. LIke many others my biggest complaint is the cartoon style. If they can deliver on the promises they made, perhaps this can be overlooked.  Wait and see at this point.  They talk about fast travel and hopping to other servers.  I wonder how big the world will be.

Also, a bit confused when they talk about procedurally generated and hand crafted "biodomes".  I thought these were mutually exclusive terms. If it is hand crafted how could it be procedurally generated.  Probably just confused on this point.  I think of minecraft as procedurally generated and not handcrafted.

The easiest way to ignore the Cartoony looks is to play a class that isn't Cartoony like the Kerren.  The concept art of races like the Dark Elves are much less cartoony then others.  Anyways GFX doesn't make a game and is easily the single thing you forget about once you start enjoying the games other features. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!