Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survival MMO- Which to choose?

PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

I have been looking for some time now at a survival style mmo.

Here is what I have found and I would like some feedback from some of you!

Rust

Seven Days to Die

Nether

Dead Linger

DayZ

If you know one of  these games, or have another to suggest, would you jump in with your 2 cents and help me decide which way to go.

Thanks fellow gamers!

Comments

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Tredo

Rust

Seven Days to Die

Nether

Dead Linger

DayZ

If you know one of  these games, or have another to suggest, would you jump in with your 2 cents and help me decide which way to go.

Thanks fellow gamers!

Well I can offer a few details on those.

Rust:  Avoid this one, it's owned and developed by a real piece of crap it seems, there is another thread on here that provided evidence as well, just do a search for the term RUST on here. Also seems several people got scammed out of their money with it as well, so if you do decide to try it anyway, make sure it's a dispute/charge back friendly payment you use, so you can get your money back.

Seven days to die: I hear good stuff about this one, minecraft + dayz apparently. Still very early in development, but I got my hands on an alpha build to try it out, it definitely has promise, just isn't really great "yet".

Nether: Too little information about this one, plus I haven't tried it yet. So can't help here.

Dead Linger: Haven't even heard of this before now.

Dayz: Crazy popular. Currently not worth getting the "mod version" in my opinion, it's a royal pain-in-the-*** to get working. However a standalone is in development that sounds great. Just be warned, it's not really a zombie survival game, it's a larger than normal sized deathmatch with full-loot, that happens to have zombies in it. The zombies aren't the danger, it's the other players. If you like that, then the new version may be what your looking for.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Rust

Seven Days to Die

Nether

Dead Linger

DayZ

Thanks fellow gamers!

Well I can offer a few details on those.

Rust:  Avoid this one, it's owned and developed by a real piece of crap it seems, there is another thread on here that provided evidence as well, just do a search for the term RUST on here. Also seems several people got scammed out of their money with it as well, so if you do decide to try it anyway, make sure it's a dispute/charge back friendly payment you use, so you can get your money back.

Seven days to die: I hear good stuff about this one, minecraft + dayz apparently. Still very early in development, but I got my hands on an alpha build to try it out, it definitely has promise, just isn't really great "yet".

Nether: Too little information about this one, plus I haven't tried it yet. So can't help here.

Dead Linger: Haven't even heard of this before now.

Dayz: Crazy popular. Currently not worth getting the "mod version" in my opinion, it's a royal pain-in-the-*** to get working. However a standalone is in development that sounds great. Just be warned, it's not really a zombie survival game, it's a larger than normal sized deathmatch with full-loot, that happens to have zombies in it. The zombies aren't the danger, it's the other players. If you like that, then the new version may be what your looking for.

Is Seven Days to Die full multiplayer ? Does anyone know ?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Unfortunately, DayZ has too many hackers to even try and have fun in the game. I would say 7 days to die looks pretty nice and promising. I dont know about the other ones.

How about Dead Frontier?

It is a top down game, which I am not a fan of but anyone know about the game play?

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Rust

Seven Days to Die

Nether

Dead Linger

DayZ

Thanks fellow gamers!

RUST -  to me reminds me of Call of Duty but you can have some craftables. Was not happy with the game, not worth what people are spending on an invite key.

Seven Days to Die - is what I currently play, it's in alpha so there are some bugs and it does support multiplayer servers that you can find the IP's of on their forums / google. Supposedly next patch will be updating the multiplayer support.

Nether - Not enough info on this.

Dead Linger - IMO stay away from this one, it's really "deep alpha" atm. Has potential but it's not there yet.

DayZ - Avid fan of it but it's full of hackers / modded servers that it's just not worth playing anymore. Will keep a lookout for the stand alone.

Originally posted by Heretique

Seven Days to Die - is what I currently play, it's in alpha so there are some bugs and it does support multiplayer servers that you can find the IP's of on their forums / google. Supposedly next patch will be updating the multiplayer support.

Tried to register on the forums with no luck due to errors, and in IRC telling me that some are having issues with even logging into the game.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am having some fun with 7 days but have yet to see another player anywhere.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Heretique

Tried to register on the forums with no luck due to errors, and in IRC telling me that some are having issues with even logging into the game.

Yeah heard about the issues with getting accounts, my friends and I didn't have any issues so can't comment. As for the forums, heard registration is down at the moment.

Good luck with the search, no "5 star" survival mmo out there atm that I can think of.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    7 days 2 die is hands down the best game on your list IMO but the current servers are like maybe 10 players stable and thats about it. I own the alpha 1.1 also but just have been playing the single player version not server. The next update 2.0 is supposed to be introducing random world generation wall climbing zombies and better server stability and support for larger server games. Think of the structure like minecrafts multiplayer .
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Fallen Earth. Unless something has radically changed just surviving early on is tough & thriving is a rewarding challenge. Its mainly Sandbox with themepark elements like questing and so on. Practically anything can (and is) salvaged and 99% of the games items/mounts/vehicles/fuel/ammo etc can be crafted by players.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Fallen Earth. Unless something has radically changed just surviving early on is tough & thriving is a rewarding challenge. Its mainly Sandbox with themepark elements like questing and so on. Practically anything can (and is) salvaged and 99% of the games items/mounts/vehicles/fuel/ammo etc can be crafted by players.

as of a year ago surviving early on is not a challenge at all.

Dead Linger: i have this one and can recommend it as long as you understand its an alpha state game. they just made a switch over to Unity from Ogre. they are incredibly good about patches and keeping the community informed, probably better than the other alpha games i have supported. so while i know its always a gamble buying in early, i have a lot of faith that these guys are gonna actually finish it and finish it well.

7DtD: don't own this one, but the concept looks good. i will probably buy once ive seen it in beta or completed.

there are 2 single player games i am looking at right now: State of Decay and Day One: Garry's Incident

my issue with most survival games is they are horror based. i would love to find a wilderness survival game or one where humanity is gone from the earth for the most part.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• JakkGrimmJakkGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Survival game , Xsyon:Prelude.   No zombies just people and animals.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by JakkGrimm
    Survival game , Xyson:Prelude.   No zombies just people and animals.

true. and i did try it. but the pvp aspect just isn't for me.

when TDL was still running on the Ogre engine i was tweaking server spawns and such to make the game more of an 'abandoned earth' type of game where the object was simply survival (they have a hunger meter in the game that will kill you) plus building.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• FynsFyns Member UncommonPosts: 1
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/143803558
    This is not an MMO, but neither are most/all of those games you listed in the OP. It looks so fun though, assuming they add some kind of multiplayer.
    The trailer is there somewhere, or Google the forest, it's quite compelling :)
  • SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Originally posted by aspekx
    there are 2 single player games i am looking at right now: State of Decay and Day One: Garry's Incident
    I was casually following Day One as well, up until TotalBiscuit's WTF. Consider a quick view if you haven't already seen footage of the game in action...

Originally posted by aspekx
    my issue with most survival games is they are horror based. i would love to find a wilderness survival game or one where humanity is gone from the earth for the most part.
    Fellow MMORPG member nkitz recommended this one to me in a different thread, might be up your alley as well: http://survivetheforest.com/
    There seem to be shades of action/adventure and survival-horror to it, although the developers claim it is a predominantly survival simulation game.

Miasmata doesn't exactly conform to your desire, but may also be of interest.
    http://ionfx.com/product_pc_Miasmata.php
    It's a survival game in the "sick, lost and alone" type, where the primary danger stems from your own inherent weakness rather than some outside source.

Signs of Life is an interesting take on survival, with a sort of Terraria/StarBound-esque vibe (leaning more to the latter than the former, as it is largely sci-fi), albeit with a somewhat more harsh starting condition.
    http://playsignsoflife.com/

Unfortunately, like yourself, a real, gritty survival-in-a-savage-world kind of game is something that eludes me... I seem to recall a KickStarter campaign for something that fit the bill, but don't believe it reached the funding goal.

• GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Stizzled

There's also Haven and Hearth, which is one of the best MMOs I've ever played. It's an awesome game if you can get past the crappy 2D graphics, I never had a problem with them though. The game is absolutely and completely free, no box price, cash shop or subscription.

Salem is another option, it's from the same people as Haven and Hearth. While it was developed after HnH and shares many of the same features I feel it's a lesser game. I just couldn't get into the game the way I did HnH, I couldn't get past the horrible 3D graphics either. I didn't like the inclusion of a cash shop either, not when you could play a better game for free.

+1 for Haven&Hearth, not a very known game but completely free (runs on donations) and is probably the bst sandbox/survival MMO I have played so far. It includes permadeath.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Someone had mentioned dead frontier...I play this game 1-3 times a week for an hour or so and rage quit. It is a game that will punish you for doing well (I have seen it strait cheat to get to me when I have not died in a while). It can be fun (obviously as I keep going back to it). But, it can also be very frustrating.

Originally posted by Helleri
    Someone had mentioned dead frontier...I play this game 1-3 times a week for an hour or so and rage quit. It is a game that will punish you for doing well (I have seen it strait cheat to get to me when I have not died in a while). It can be fun (obviously as I keep going back to it). But, it can also be very frustrating.

I rage quit enough games already, I don't need to add another to the list.

All the suggestions are great, HnH I tried for about 30 seconds... can't stand the graphics!!

Wish there was a constant world, multiplayer, zombie, post apoc, game that was 100% driven by what you can find during the day to help you survive the night!

Ever see the movie with Wil Smith in it... I want a game like that!

• steelslingasteelslinga Member UncommonPosts: 25

Rust

- avoid this game like the plague. I've been playing it since Friday only because I wanted to try something different. 3-4hrs into the game I am cooking in my house making food and spend the next 3hrs dealing with 12 year old kids (yes eventually they started talking to me with voice and they were either chicks .. or 12 year old kids)  dropping doors ontop of mine locking me into my house and so on.

i did find that went i got on voice and started joking with them they would eventually get bored and walk away and go wreck another  house.  last night i ran past a huge 4 story house and dude was built into his house... they dropped stairs and stuff everywhere and he was locked in and a few of us spent 1hr trying to get c4 to blow down some walls to let him out.

they call it raiding but dropping doors and building around players isn't raiding.. straight up. all this is on the PVE server and the chat is constantly rolling with these issues.

now for the real kicker.... which is an eye opener for sure.. they constantly BAN players for asking the simplest question in the forums, call people in the forums ***holes constantly then BAN them. i replied to a thread last night before bed and just went to see if he replied with which browser he was using that was giving him the issue.  and TADAA! dude is now banned and so are a few others that replied in the thread... luckily i am not one of them.

this company is a joke, they take your money and then BAN you at the drop of a hat.. seriously. swing by their forums and check for yourself.. being an ex GM for a certain gaming company i find their forum moderation to be the lowest of the low when it comes to dealing with their player base.  to be honest i would put it lower than another survival mmo we all know and hate.. you know, the one that had to change it's name to run from their problems.

oh hey, I also thought this haven and hearth looked like a challenging, but worthy survival game. Not, sure what stage they are at with it yet though since that video was made.

Originally posted by Helleri
    oh hey, I also thought this haven and hearth looked like a challenging, but worthy survival game. Not, sure what stage they are at with it yet though since that video was made.

Graphics are bad, music is bad, features I like, but I need something with updated graphics and a few more features.... need 3D graphics 

Well as he had reviewed it, the game was in alpha, I would figure before it was full release they would work out a lot of the issues. As for graphics...I have always felt that when searching for a quality game, graphics should be the very last thing considered. I found for myself that the better a game is in every other aspect, the more forgivable poorer graphical quality quickly becomes. I could agree that this particular games graphics are pretty bad considering the rest of it. they are bottom of the barrel stand alone. This game would have to be the most epic thing ever to expect to get away with that for long.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Rust

Seven Days to Die

Nether

Dead Linger

DayZ

Thanks fellow gamers!

Fallen Earth. Do not like at all recticle targeting and constant switching which prevented me to realy starting play after many attempts. Great game with incredible feeling however if you do not have this problem.

Then we have TSW. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by psiic
    I am having some fun with 7 days but have yet to see another player anywhere.

Maybe they all reached their eighth day?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I like Fallen Earth, but I like crafting and as a f2p player crafting in FE sucks big time!

7days2die I have been looking into a bit more, however, $35.00 for an alpha build of a single player survivor RPG with some multiplayer hacked into it seems a bit high if you ask me.

Guess I will keep looking...