Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five of the Most Unappreciated MMOs

Comments

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Both rift and tsw are very much appreciated by a reasonable size of ghe community... They dont belong on that list

Yeah I would replace those with WURM Online, or Uncharted Waters, or Pirates of the Burning Sea. TSW and Rift are mainstream mmos that have enjoyed commercial success and are regularly advertised all over the place.

Can't but to say that Pirates of the Burning Sea closed like 6 months ago. As a poster with over 5k post you should you know that.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Asheron's Call gets no love. Original EQ still gets articles put up on here, but not good old AC. They've had major changes over the past few years as well and yet still it never gets a mention.

Give me a classic like that over that list anyday (granted the only one on that list I've tried was Rift). I was intriqued by Fallen Earth when it was announced it was going to launch. The problem is I don't see the point in paying a box price for a sub based MMO, I simply wait until they finally put up the free trial right into a sub and then jump in. Instead of doing that FE went F2P and I immediately lost interest.

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    If you want us to play you should really put some gameplay videos instead of trailers.
  • avawhat231avawhat231 Member Posts: 2
    Wheres face of mankind?

Confused about my body~

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I personalyl wouldn't have put TSW or Rift on the list.

Rift proved you could polish gameplay. A concept that was already proven and taken and polished does not provide anything substantial to tout.

TSW is a different case, but in the same boat. They provided a different story and tossed different elements into their quests, put a different UI to their skill system, but functionally and fundamentally they did not innovate.

Consequently I don't really consider either to have proven any value beyond the value of packaging. It's a contrary effect, that they have been oversold on their qualities due to the favored factors letting them hold their niche being a relatively cosmetic aspect of their designs.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by barasawa

There are a LOT of people that will call any fantasy mmorpg a 'wow clone'. 

I have to assume that most of them would also call almost any automobile a Model T clone as well. (It's got a steering, wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal, 4 wheels, and an engine, so it must be a clone.)

Just tune them out.

EQ = Model T

WoW = Lincoln Town Car

Rift = Grand Marquis

(and SWTOR = Crown Vic)

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Highttower

The subject is most unappreciated MMO......I would like to include SOE's Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and Funcom's Anarchy Online. Both games are still active and now F2P. It's unfortunate that a lot of people turned their backs after a troublesome launch and didn't dig deep(stick it out) enough to see the gem of a game they are. 

Gimme a break, Vangaurd still sucks. The chunk line BS totally destroy the game. Seemless my ass. 

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

I got to disagree with TSW, honestly I think the game is "over" rated/appreciated. Sure the setting is great, but the game has some of the worst combat mechanics in any mmo to date. (And that's not even an exaggeration.) It's the "the" worst, but top 10 easily. Monsters have WAY too much health making them all feel like bosses, without the danger, but with all the annoyance.

And then there is the obvious issue of them cramming 400 totally different monsters into a VERY tiny area, hell they overlap even. Good to know vampires/werewolves/zombies/cuthulu squids/and ghosts are all good buddies with each other.

Hell, if we're going to be honest here, the only parts of the game that weren't bad were the storytelling, "some" of the investigation missions, and the unique setting.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro

I got to disagree with TSW, honestly I think the game is "over" rated/appreciated. Sure the setting is great, but the game has some of the worst combat mechanics in any mmo to date. (And that's not even an exaggeration.) It's the "the" worst, but top 10 easily. Monsters have WAY too much health making them all feel like bosses, without the danger, but with all the annoyance.

And then there is the obvious issue of them cramming 400 totally different monsters into a VERY tiny area, hell they overlap even. Good to know vampires/werewolves/zombies/cuthulu squids/and ghosts are all good buddies with each other.

Hell, if we're going to be honest here, the only parts of the game that weren't bad were the storytelling, "some" of the investigation missions, and the unique setting.

Subjective opinion is subjective.

Personally I think the combat is better than most other MMos, including bigger ones like GW2, Tera, Rift etc (assuming you use the reticule combat mode in TSW).

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by f0dell54
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Both rift and tsw are very much appreciated by a reasonable size of ghe community... They dont belong on that list

Yeah I would replace those with WURM Online, or Uncharted Waters, or Pirates of the Burning Sea. TSW and Rift are mainstream mmos that have enjoyed commercial success and are regularly advertised all over the place.

Can't but to say that Pirates of the Burning Sea closed like 6 months ago. As a poster with over 5k post you should you know that.

Pirates of the burning sea hasn't closed down at all it has just moved. Portalus Games run it now rather than SOE, but as a poster with under 300 posts......OHhhhhhhh! Yeah I shouldn't have expected you to know that. :D

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

I agree ,the secret world is one of the best mmo that is under appreciated!and the fact it is horror is a good thing.one exemple.early on you get a quest that send you in a pictch black zone with the exist sign lighting your path.yes there is a helmet with light but trust me .the mood and the scare is there.

shut your music and open the sound of the game when you meet those area!for those loving the horror genre the scary mood etc !its all there!

I don't suggest playing more then the time a raid would take every day ! so raiding is 4 hours then stop at 4 hour and go play something cheerfull!

why the limit!not because it is bad ,the graphic are better then ff14 or other title you can think of ,no the issue is you should always limit your self when you play horror game!

in my book this is the best filler game out there if you are on raid mode in wow

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

RIFT ?? It got more spotlight than any other game here,including Wow the biggest player based game going.I hardly call that unappreciated,if anything,i call it over rated.

TSO may very well deserve more recognition but it was their own fault,the game came off as a really cheap start that had me wanting out of the game before dwelling any further.You want to show case your game later on,it had better be good enough to keep me until i get there.I played for about 3 hours and what i saw in that time was a really cheap effort,like  small zones with a few voice overs and a ton of hand holding.I am not into playing follow the dots and clicking from a few choices of dialogue.

Ryzom:Played it,did not think it was very good,it showed that it was a low budget game.just like Neverwinter,once i got into the editor,i got to see just how cheap the game was.

Wakfu:Never played it for any length of time and i have no desire to.

Fallen Earth:Played it a lot for about 2 months,good idea but you can easily see the team had no money and a weak game engine or lack of skills on the team.The game always seem to border on realism but failed badly at the same time.Crafting was basically the high light of the game but the team ,i guess for lack of effort and money chose to dumb it down into auto crafting.How on earth did the team figure it was realistic to be crafting while fighting art the same time??In a game like this you need movable assets,everything was just a static mesh,while adding in the typical harvesting nodes.

My feeling is that a stronger team could have made FE into a sure hit.

My feeling is FFXI tops all these games and by a ton.I still see almost everyday people praising new games for ideas that FFXI already did years ago,it is like millions of gamer's never had a clue FFXI existed and how good it was.The trend since the huge wave of NEW gamer's was shown by Blizzard,simply market the heck out of your product and let  everyone know it exists.FFXI was never marketed big ,especially over here,yet a brand new games like Rift  and GW2 had tons of exposure.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Another game not mentioned that was better is Funcom's AOC.It actually took a ton of heat ,yet it was better than any game mentioned in the list.All those games in the list are low budget games and imo they show it,they deserve what they get and in most cases deserve even less.

Yet another game that is totally off the radar is Vanguard,arguably does everything as good or better than every other game.Again no money ,so no massive marketing and a struggle to polish the game before going bankrupt.

Vanguard actually opened up the viewscape,instead of the typical smallish zones and low end graphics.The game also created a few new ideas and tried to make existing ideas even better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BoonezBoonez Member UncommonPosts: 13

Yeah I agree with Rift and TSW being on your list . Neither seem to get the community support they need or deserve. While WoW always seem to be at the front of the line when people talk MMOs.

My only complaint with either has to do with how much CPU and graphics TWS would use on my poor laptop.. I stopped playing after it caused my system to crash for the third time....

So my next foray into MMO land for me was GW2, I just started and I am completely addicted, I even tried to see how it stacked against WoW the other day and I'll I could think of was ( Oh my god i'm cheating on GW2 =D...)

• PapaprikaPapaprika Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Sorry but the Secret World is one of the worst mmorpgs out there. To avoid a wall of text just go here: http://debuffblog.blogspot.fr/2013/06/j3-secret-world-review.html
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Papaprika
    Sorry but the Secret World is one of the worst mmorpgs out there. To avoid a wall of text just go here: http://debuffblog.blogspot.fr/2013/06/j3-secret-world-review.html

While I completely agree with everything you said, I suggest you run it through a spell and grammar checker. It's very hard to read. 

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68

Rift was great, probably one of the best.

Secret World was garbage.   Words cannot express how badly Secret World sucked donkey bawls.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Of the 5 I would Urge everyone to try Fallen Earth. Its such a nice sandbox with themepark elements like quests.
  • marremurtmarremurt Member UncommonPosts: 45

I actually love turn based MMORPGs, but 2 games i anticipated to come out turned out to never come out.

NameS: Altis Gate or Myth Craft, both of them is funny anime turn based mmos, i love turnbased mmorpgs but never really catched the dept of Atlantica online, to many "chars" to focus on, i feel its enought with 1 "char" and 1 "pet", :)

Hopefully someone bringing up some nice turn based mmorpgs in future, im expecting to see some good ones anytime soon (crossing my fingers for altis gate, even if it were announced like 2 years ago that they dropped it)

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Ryzom when I played it suffered the cruelest of fate. It was designed for grouping and the community was never there. If you left town you had to fight tooth and nail to get anything done. Add in the mob chaining where you could pull 50 mobs when one was more than you could handle, it just flopped solo. Many of the features were well done. The things that made it a rough game made it impossible though.

I tried Fallen Earth. The only reason it was dead was the FFA and the knowing if the game ever made it, you would see the usual FFA crowd destroy everything you did. It was an obvious no win for most crafter type that might have enjoyed the game.

Wakfu and Rift I never tried.

Played TSW for a few months. It had a lot going for it and if they had made more effort in crafting I'd have stayed longer. In additon the whole modern world thing was bullshit. London was 4 streets wide, NYC and Tokyo even smaller. No housing, no wide world feel, nothing to immerse you. It should have been much more.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I will add my voice one more time to the thread. If you asked me what are the 5 worst major MMO's to be released in recent memory one of them would be Rift. It just is a really pathetic game that gets way too much love from people who seem to think repetitive invasions are tons of fun. There is almost nothing in that game to suggest anything but it being an awful wow clone.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

One of the reasons TSW is not appreciated is Erling "i lie in your eye" Erlingsen.  He made so many lies abut AoC back in the time, that now whatever Failcom is saying is percieved by players as next attempt to fuck them up. Genuine example of how being dishonest with your playerbase is not good idea in the long run.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268
    *Seems my enrage has dwindled over time... I'm no longer calling him Erling "big fat lying pig" Erlingsen like i used to.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Rift is the total opposite of under appreciated. Rift was over hyped and over rated. Over a Million tried it at release and then most of them quit a few months later. Rift was one of the worst games I ever played.

If you want unappreciated MMOs try: Vindictus, Neverwinter, or Age of Wushu. These are the true diamonds in the rough.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Pleased to hear that Ryzom is still going. I enjoyed that, and Fallen Earth too (although FE wasn't F2P when I played it). TSW sits on my hard drive unplayed. And Rift comes across as a charmless and sterile game aimed at WoW exiles and raiders. What is there to appreciate?