Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Death Comes to WAR

Comments

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by Aroukos

Game was dead in every aspect anyway.

Many more will be dead soon too. SWTOR, RIFT, TSW, TERA, AoC and others will have the same fate as more new games like TESO, Wildstar, EQN, ArcheAge, CU etc are coming. I think (despite i m not playing anymore) only WoW will survive this. Maybe not with its old huge population, but it will survive decently enough. I guess Blizz knows something more about games...

It's rare for a game to just die.  SWTOR sand Rift seem to be doing just fine now.  Not sure about the others.  There is a lot of excitement for the upcoming games, whether or not they succeed will depend on how well they follow through post launch.

That Blizzard comment is hilarious.  

SWTOR still holds only because of its IP, but RIFT (and i m an active player) is almost dead. Not the first time though, but sure its last.

I m not excited about none of the upcoming titles. I had enough of this the past few years. Just waiting for their launch and see. No more hype for me anymore.

As it concerns WoW, i don't know if its hilarious or not. I only know its true.

Almost dead..what a bull. Don't know what version you are playing but in my timeline game is always jam packed with people. To be almost dead means game is about to shut down due to few hundred or so players left in game.

Please stop spreading rumors and false information. Almost dead games do not release continuous content patches and Trion just released one yesterday and pretty big one.

EU 15:00 hours. 6 medium 6 low servers. Not peak time but a day after 2.4. Game, at least in EU, is dying. F2P just delayed the death for a while, but not forever.

They closed Korean and announced the closing of Russian and Chinese versions in November. They closed both EU and NA offices and fired German and French community managers.

As it concerns 2.4 itself, none likes it. After so many promises for client upgrade, once more they did nothing. Only the joke of pixel granularity. Check either at forums, in game or your friends/guild mates about their opinion. At least in my server (Zaviel) and my guild, every one seems at least disappointed with TRION.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    WAR was a brilliant pvp game, a lot of fun. I remember my rogue Dark elf and my Zealot  chaos... good times :( - We all know as gamers that EA isn't the best of companies and screw any thing they touch and their playerbase. There are hopes for other games like swtor but if they continue going the way they're heading that game won't last either.
  • Xeno2012Xeno2012 Member UncommonPosts: 10

I loved the full game's quests and paths.  Greenskins were a hoot.  I even put up with the PvP-RvR messes for a long time.  What drove me away was that, as soon as they had a decently high subscriber base, their Customer Service went to hell.  That, coupled with the phenomenon of watching their early "face of development" decide that he was a rock star who deserved to be adored in a series of valueless "make excuses for the latest foul up" videos, drove me (and my wife) away.

I tried coming back once and immediately encountered PvP bugs, and was again told instantly by Customer Service that they didn't care or make restitution for stuff lost due to bugs: note that this was during a drive to recruit people back to the game.  Well, I suppose that rather than calling that suicidal marketing, one could call it brass-balls honesty.

Nonetheless, OP hit the nail squarely on  the head: it was a game with immense potential, especially for PvP-RvR (while not ignoring story elements), that failed miserably in delivery and in Customer Service.  Several times over.

For that, it deserves its death, much as I wished that there was still a venue for playing a decent Warhammer Fantasy Battles MMO.

Although it's a completely different development set-up, I am worried that 40K Online will also be terrible.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by zimike
    Very sad to see such a great game go down in flames. R.I.P WAR

Yes,I agreed,great game but  seems EA/Bioware  started slow killing game after mythic transfer under  crapy bioware team.

R.I.P WAR ,only fantasy based mmorpg what I love to play.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I'm surprised it lasted this long

I wanted to like it, I tried really hard, but it's too broken

What a shame

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Mishakai
    Maybe if gamers weren't so OMG critical of games at launch, stuff like this wouldn't happen.  Wanna blame someone for WARs demise, gamers have nobody to blame except themselves.

Really? The game was crap.

I played it at launch and quit it quickly (fortunately before all of their multi-billing issues charging people tons of money, but I'm sure that was the players' fault too, right?).

The PvE was terribly boring. At no point in time in the PvE did I feel like I was having fun as much as doing it to advance my character to try out higher level PvP.

The PvP was great in the lowest level bracket and then terrible later on. Hey you like that PvP map? Better not level because you'll never get to play it again. Genius move there.

Class balance was terrible.

Overall the game offered nothing new and hardly offered what was old.

The entire game was a failure and to be honest I'm surprised they let it limp along this far. Everyone who I knew who tried it expected it to shut down far faster. So did everyone else watching from the outside as the player numbers dropped faster than they'd ever seen in any game before.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Wknder if this is because of h new warhammer mmo?
  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

I am not surprised...this game started horrible and got worse as time went on.  It launched when there where tons of examples of what not to do....they where warned by players but they didn't listen.   So...its ending well sort of expected. 

I suppose it might stay here if EA started doing what vivendi does and buy up tons of subscriptions and constantly post claims it has 6 million subscribers. (yet server population doesn't account for it nor does their quarterly earnings. go figure that's how vivendi/blizzard/activision does things) 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I love how most people are blaming EA for WAR shutting down. If anything, it's Mythic and Games Workshop who should take the most blame. Mythic for all the missteps in creating the game and GW for being probably the worst IP holder to work with.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Always a sad day for mmo'rs. My heart goes out to those who played the game. As someone who has faced this a few times I developed a new motto: go free or not at all. (except for my lifetime with lotro..last lifetime I'll ever own as well).
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't think we can honestly say both games were of huge expectations.I used to be that gamer that bought near every game that came out,yes i was foolish or perhaps i just didn't care,i had the money spend it lol.

Point is that i follow the gaming industry VERY closely,i had little interest for either game but did take notice and figured to try both.

Well first of all the Warhammer team really turned me off in their media videos/blogs/interviews.It got even worse when it was apparent they would not be able to fulfill the games intentions as they were running out of time.I tired the game and was turned off almost immediately but it did have some nice sound effects .

AOC was actually considered a bit of a weak catch,a comic book game,not really a big interest to a high number of people.None the less i tried it out and found it to be not too bad.

Unlike a lot of gamer's.i do not run back to my fave games because i have years locked up in the them,i run back because the main aspects of character/class and combat are imo better.That is why i did not stick with AOC,i liked the game but it was just a tad below the current games i enjoy.I do acknowledge that is did a few things i liked but it was not going to over take my fave games.

IMO there is a bigger problem in this industry.There are TOO many games and developers with not enough players.You cannot deliver the same old and expect to overtake the other 200+ games people are already enjoying.

You could get away with sub par  effort when Wow came out because there was literally no competition,you either had games with really bad graphics or really bad games,so anything that was remotely decent shone bright in the sky like a double AA game coming off as a Triple A game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by bbates024

It's to bad they wasted there effort trying to make a second game instead of making the game f2p, and just getting drove of pvpers killing each other. 

Next on the list SWTOR!

Except SWTOR is getting the exact opposite treatment from EA. Whenever I think about WAR, I always think about how SWTOR is being treated the way WAR should have been. EA quickly responded to the situation and relaunched F2P within the first year, updates the game fairly frequently, and even released a pretty awesome digital expansion. On top of this, EA has been making a renewed marketing push recently to coincide with the new PvP features coming in 2.4. Heck, we've got a SWTOR event starting here in 45 minutes.

Will it ultimately work to keep SWTOR above water? I think so, but it's hard to say. The point is that they are trying and trying hard and that's good enough for me.

WAR was just abandoned way too quickly and without nearly as much effort to course correct.

I agree - the way EA treated WAR and is treating SWTOR are completely different.  SWTOR has active development, content additions, new systems, etc.

WAR has been out for 5 years.  For the last 4 of those years, Mythic has done virtually nothing to support the game.  Nothing.

I don't know of too many other games that have been abandoned in quite the same way.  EA bailed out too quickly on WAR, and they bailed out completely, without even a hint of real development still going on for 4 years.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    this was bound to happen. This was a stepping stone game. It had great features but execution was bad, and the graphics were terrible. This is one of those games other devs look at to get insight on what to make better in there games to make them successfull.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Theres always Rift. Almost the same game.

nah,WAR was Warhammer universe,main first reason for play that game !

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Actually I think the WoW Expansion itself had less impact than is stated here, people who jumped back to WoW when Lich king came out did so becuase they were sick of the dissapointment that is WAR. Not one person in our large Oceanic guild left for WoW but many cancelled their subs just the same I ended up going back to AOC.

In any case the BIGGEST mistake Mythic made was denying their was any imbalance in PvP even in the face of overwhelming community gathered evidence that something was wrong. First you had a bright wizard DoT that could stack an unlimited number of times and to further compound this problem magic resistance gear did not actually work. Both problems were denied by Mythic and some of the most passionate community members who dared to repeatedly post evidence were banned from the forums.....

You cannot make a PvP centric game and have such glaringly obvious imbalances/exploits in the game and deny their existance.

I Recall when I finally left for good. I think it was about 6 months after launch, the above problems were still not fixed and still being denied by the devs. I was participating on the defending side of a T4 siege. The attacking team was literally made up of over 90% bright wizards who tore through our defenses with a rediculous speed & I remember just dying in seconds over and over to stacked dots which you couldnt remove or defend against with gear, trying to outheal them with potions that just couldnt beat the bugged DoT stacks. The Siege Ended and I thought screw this I will go PvE, an hour later I was dozing off at the Bland PvE and logged out.

I went to the Forums to vent & found yet another large ongoing thread on the subject had been deleted and the OP banned so I didnt even bother posting. The following weekend I logged in one last time to say goodbye to the few Guildies still playing, logged out & uninstalled the game. Other players all accross the world were doing the exact same thing in droves.

• AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32

Comment.

We salute you michael bolten.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Mishakai
    Maybe if gamers weren't so OMG critical of games at launch, stuff like this wouldn't happen.  Wanna blame someone for WARs demise, gamers have nobody to blame except themselves.

Completely inaccurate. The developer is to blame.

• GlokyczeGlokycze Member Posts: 9

Well, only one thing left to say about it all.

WAAAAGH!!!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    MAybe now somone can take the IP and do better with it.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Rest in peace Hottz and Dottz. The best Archmage duo the world has ever seen.
  • LordHaleLordHale Member Posts: 8
    The big problem is rvr just doesnt run games. Ppl play mmos for quests story loot and pvp and rvr as end game content a lvl 12 doesnt want to rvr against a lvl 30
  • Rocksteady63Rocksteady63 Member Posts: 2
    I feel like the biggest mistake they made in this game was pulling a WOW and pushing everything into two factions instead of six.  It was a lazy decision that, I believe, cost them dearly in the end.  The game would have been much more interesting. 
  • RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

AoC and WAR both failed due to broken *endgame*. Once players had hit the level cap they found the endgame broken beyond belief. AoC was supposed to have epic guild vs guild sieges and multiple dungeons to run, did they work in any reasonable timeframe after launch, nope. Players, whole guilds simply moved on.

WAR, supposed to have epic city sieges which would offer a variety of new content as both attacker and defender as the seiges progressed. Even the stage immediately preceeding a city siege was a laggy slideshow, and the fix of limiting the battlegrounds to a set number of players was unbelievably frustrating and barely worked. If the devs could have delivered on their promises / bs for WAR, the game really would have been a rival for WoW over time. Instead, with all the cuts and lack of working endgame content it is no wonder players deserted in droves. Lack of class balance was another headscratcher in such a pvp focused game, not tweaking that was just plain idiocy.

• SeamzSeamz Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I remember being so hyped for this game, playing all the betas, only to see my guild die within a month after launch, never been so disappointed in a video game ever, let alone one that I had invested a lot of time into pre-launch. RIP
  • NomadsNomads Member Posts: 4

The reason the guilds died a month or so into the game was the broken or lack of end game at that time.

When the first players hit Third Teir RvR it didn't work we couldn't budge the Bar - despite having an all weekender guild event to do it.

Once that was fixed the concept of the game was server breaking - force everyone into the same zone for the unlocking the gates to the city battle - way to crash the server, over and over - level limits were added, but didn't help much.

Once we finally got into the enemies capital - it was a massive let down - instanced PVE with some PVP.

We we sold on sacking the city - not what we got, we were sold on three racial enemy capitals, again not what we got.

What we had was server issues and an end game which made the whole server go to a single zone and crash the server.

That's the initial reason most left in the first wave, from there seems like its been a downward spiral.

RIP WAR - so much promised, but the end was a bitter let down.