Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which old MMO is worth subbing?

snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Hi there, I want to sub to an old MMO, which one is worth to sub to these days?

I really miss the old school feeling in todays MMO's...

Thx!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

How old skool we talking here?

I mean wow's ten years old and always worth a go imo, though people love to hate.

How about EQ2? But not if you play from Europe (I think)

If you want PvP then DAOC but beware EA are running it etc.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Tried wow a few months ago, and it got no old school feeling, it's to easy...

I am looking at daoc, AC at the moment..

EQ/EQ2 i play sometimes...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    EverQuest 1 and 2 are both free to play, With option to sub, play them see what you think, and if you deem it worthy, then sub.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    EQ1 is nice but I really hate the map....

Edgar Allan Poe

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

My suggestions:

AC if you are looking for action combat.

EVE if you want to try something sci-fi or sandboxy.

UO if your focus is more to live in a game world rather than level a character.

EQ2 if you want to stick with the tried and true level-n-raid stuff.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

It really does depend on what you are looking for so I would add:

Lotro for an open world rpg experience.

SWTOR for the best personnel questing out there.

AOC for fantasy with a realistic look in one package.

TSW for the best puzzles, its depth of story and being both modern and horror.

GW2 because you want to be where your mates are right now.

Only Lotro and maybe AoC could be called old school mind you.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    WoW or EQ2. But if you go to play EQ2 make a character on Antonia Bayle, Freeport, or Crushbone

Killing dragons is my shit

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    My suggestions:

I hear such great things about UO, I never played it in its day but have tried to play it 'recently' but like most old school games, The UI is a big problem.

It must be something about the era, The UI from that era is so 'clunky' and information hidden behind cascading windows makes it hard to just 'get what you need'.

it must be that today there is much more thought put into UI design, hell they have whole books on it now, much more intellectually involved.

The other thing is, Is it the same game today that people praise?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

It used to be WoW, EQ1 & 2, and Vanguard for me.

But they killed  WoW and changed the game around and all other good ones went F2P.  So I had no choice but to go back to Vanilla WoW.  Its the only game that still has a community.  FF14 tricked me, Because it had a monthly sub and it was FF.  I assumed it would be old school, but it was just a dynamic event open world, and a lobby game for dungeons.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Old mmo worth subbing? I can only say WoW because the other few old sub based mmos are far too unpolished and clunky for me to subscribe to them at this point. That is my personal opinion and will probably never change unless those old mmos get some major polishing and coding updates like WoW have always done to stay smooth. After all, those other old ones still have sub so the least they can do for our money is polish the game more.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    EVE ... pretty much only one.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by snoocky
    EQ1 is nice but I really hate the map....

Same kinda hope EQN doesnt have maps, but unfortuently i doubt that will happen.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    There's also Anarchy Online if you want "old school" in a science fiction setting which doesn't involve playing a spaceship, and in a game which has an awesome character development system and a huge world to explore. The base version is free to play, so no reason not to give it a try.

My computer is better than yours.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I just thought "nobody mentioned AO" ;)

Anarchy Online is cool, no doubt !

Lotro is still going ^^

Try Fallen Earth, also a very cool game.

hmmm /scratch ...

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    My  vote is for LOTRO. This is about as old school as I can get.  Much older than this and the graphics really become a problem for me.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Age Of Conan. It's come a long way since release.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    DAOC hands down. Just don't know what the population is like. Could be boring leveling alone.Think they have free trials though.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I think they all are, just depends if you like the game or not.

EQ gets  the most development of any of the first gen MMORPGs.  Some might actually consider that a bad thing because that means the game evolves and people seem to dislike change.   I think they still do some stuff in AC too.  However AC has not aged nearly as well as EQ visually.  EQ looks fantastic for a 15 year old game. 

EQ also has by far the biggest community.

Originally posted by syriinx

EQ looks fantastic for a 15 year old game. 

Hum, no. Just no.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Hum, no. Just no.

lol. I just resubbed to EQ2 due to the instant 85 promo they have until Oct. 15th. Game still looks good.

What instant 85 promo?

Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Hum, no. Just no.

lol. I just resubbed to EQ2 due to the instant 85 promo they have until Oct. 15th. Game still looks good.

You talk about EQ2. The man talked about EQ1.

I agree EQ2 still looks decently good, even though it's still very taxing even on top notch gaming computers.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Your best choice is RIFT in my opinion. It has many of the old school components you are looking for, other not so old school :P , but it is by far the most polished and complete D&D sword and sorcery fantasy style mmo out there, way above from WoW or anyothers alike.

My opinion ofc :D

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Sub to Ascheron's Call for a TRUE old school experience, if you want player loot PK play on Darktide server as it has the full original PK ruleset from back in the day (EQ1 doesn't even still have an ORIGINAL PK ruleset server....which is sad), it is challenging and hella fun, just like old games always were (even has corpse runs >:)), a true experience.

Just make sure to subscribe with a low limit credit card and not a bank card as they have been having some billing issues that have been multiple charging people, they refund, but best not to use a bank account or CC with high limit so it doesn't inconvenience in case it happened (they said they are going to fix the error), but never know, so be cautious here.

Also when you sub you get to play Asheron's Call 2 for free, which to me isn't as good, but there are people that loved it, but it didn't last 13 years like Asheron's Call has, but so many missed it they brought it back and I remember back in the day when people were crushed when it got canned.

Truly no way to get more nostalgia or old school than playing Asheron's Call.

Also, watch these YouTube guides to get a great headstart and tons of great needed info:

Character Build and Let's Play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjYzWnK4a0&list=PLA8BA22048B20DFD3

GREAT General Game Info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjXPjxUXUg&list=PLP8DUXJjLdVu1YwEBdPiSfF59UE6eh31_

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    My suggestions:

I hear such great things about UO, I never played it in its day but have tried to play it 'recently' but like most old school games, The UI is a big problem.

It must be something about the era, The UI from that era is so 'clunky' and information hidden behind cascading windows makes it hard to just 'get what you need'.

it must be that today there is much more thought put into UI design, hell they have whole books on it now, much more intellectually involved.

The other thing is, Is it the same game today that people praise?

Yes, one of the great things that WoW gave us was the standard UI and overall polish to the genre.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by snoocky

Hi there, I want to sub to an old MMO, which one is worth to sub to these days?

I really miss the old school feeling in todays MMO's...

Thx!

"worth" is subjective.

To me, none is worth subbing, old or new MMO. F2P is the way to go.