Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Halflings?

Not exactly a deal breaker, but still disappointing. I haven't seen anything mentioned about halflings other than the poll they had up.  Has anyone else heard/read if they will have halflings or not?

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    i suspect they be there, alot of the races havant realy been mention 2 much. I think halfling might of been mention in one of the ebook on their website cant quite remember. If u havant read them u reccomend u do.
  • tooncinatortooncinator Member Posts: 5
    I read the fall of bastion, and it was surprisingly decent. I'll give the others a try.  Thanks
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

The ebooks are enjoyable, for the most part.  But, I don't recall mention of halflings in any of them, offhand.

They are set in the past, probably before halflings were encountered/discovered/created or whatever.  I know the books mentioned a few races such as dwarves, ogres, dark elves, high elves, etc.

The devs haven't mentioned much about races and which will be playable, yet.  I suspect we'll see the usual suspects in the EQ universe.  Their whole premise for this game is to play what you want to play as far as race/class goes, so I'm sure if they are considering having Ratonga(poll), then Halflings will definitely be there, too.  

I'm still waiting for my announcement that I can play Trolls, so keep hoping!

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I liked the little halflings:) But I am not sure there will be any thing different between the races, so I wouldn't be too upset everybody will be the same:) 
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by issling
    I liked the little halflings:) But I am not sure there will be any thing different between the races, so I wouldn't be too upset everybody will be the same:) 

It will be an illusion available for Station Cash.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• tooncinatortooncinator Member Posts: 5
    Yeah I figured they'd be in there, but then they had the poll, and while the halflings did well, they didn't get the top couple spots. Just wondering if they decide to only go with the top one or two from that poll, or what.  Again, no big deal, just something the wife and I were wondering about.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I hope so...since race doesnt confer class restrictions or racial bonuses..f ' it  make all the races but base human skins for purchase in CS.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    I wouldn't rule them out quite yet.  There is still much to reveal including what will define each race since class will not be a defining factor.  As such they are my second favorite race and I would only play them as an alt which I may not create.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by apocoluster

I hope so...since race doesnt confer class restrictions or racial bonuses..f ' it  make all the races but base human skins for purchase in CS.  

Wow, it scares me that you jumped on that with such zeal. I was kidding lol. Man if the races are actually 100% cosmetic that is so fucking retarded. Having said that, they would make a lot of money on the skins!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Halfling is not mentioned in the ebooks. Am sure the authors are restricted to write ONLY about confirmed races. So far the Halfling is not confirmed. But EQ has a history of having loads of races, which makes me think, that Halfling will probably make it to the game. Atleast, I hope so!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Wow, it scares me that you jumped on that with such zeal. I was kidding lol. Man if the races are actually 100% cosmetic that is so fucking retarded. Having said that, they would make a lot of money on the skins!

I'm not 100% sure they are only cosmetic but that is the impression I get. Was about to say I'd be against races in the cash shop if the had bennies...but actually I don't think id care all that much.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Halfling guards were soooo awesome in EQ 1 with there big feet and zorro masks hahaha

but anyways .... GNOME > Halfling

Primula Brandybuck ~Gnome Female Warrior for 13 years~

We really need to see more character models !!

People would be sooooo happy to see more character models

~Steam pouring out of her clockwork ears~

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

I'm not 100% sure they are only cosmetic but that is the impression I get. Was about to say I'd be against races in the cash shop if the had bennies...but actually I don't think id care all that much.  

In most games, at the end games, for anyone but the elististjerks crowd, races are only cosmetic. Some games give a slight racial goof ball ability or, the more desired % stat increase....but I think this just makes them even less lore firendly as everyone rolls worgen or goblin to get the latest 10dps increase in raids.

For those not crunching the numbers races have always been cosmetic if, in cosmetic, you include the lore aspect of races. I am much less concerned with combat abilities and much more concerned with in game lore representation of the races in a world without historical cities and structures.

Sure RP people care, but they probably make up a smaller number of players than hard core raiders, and this is coming from a sometimes RP person. As an RP person I say let them be cosmetic so that the people playing race x actually wish to be that race and are not rolling it up for some leap or because race x makes better hunters.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

In most games, at the end games, for anyone but the elististjerks crowd, races are only cosmetic. Some games give a slight racial goof ball ability or, the more desired % stat increase....but I think this just makes them even less lore firendly as everyone rolls worgen or goblin to get the latest 10dps increase in raids.

For those not crunching the numbers races have always been cosmetic if, in cosmetic, you include the lore aspect of races. I am much less concerned with combat abilities and much more concerned with in game lore representation of the races in a world without historical cities and structures.

Sure RP people care, but they probably make up a smaller number of players than hard core raiders, and this is coming from a sometimes RP person. As an RP person I say let them be cosmetic so that the people playing race x actually wish to be that race and are not rolling it up for some leap or because race x makes better hunters.

How many games have been released with racial abilities/stat modifications, only to see them nerfed in some way after release?

I sorta like the idea of race being equal in that the players will choose their race because that is what they want their character to be (as mentioned above) and not because min/max dictates race/class combo of the month. Another thing about cosmetic skins is that they can't be nerfed without introducing racial abilities (albeit a negative one).  Variety in a game is good ... having min/max, build of the month, race/class mandates ... is boring.  One of my pet peeves is that for the most part you can look at a character in most games and know what class they are.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by tooncinator
    Yeah I figured they'd be in there, but then they had the poll, and while the halflings did well, they didn't get the top couple spots. Just wondering if they decide to only go with the top one or two from that poll, or what.  Again, no big deal, just something the wife and I were wondering about.

The poll was just in regards to what short race YOU liked..not what they wuold have in game. The fact that Halflings was included in the list makes it very likely they will be in game.

Besides they are halflings..a staple since 1st edition d&d..the safe way to include hobbits without admitting they are hobbits...and they have been prominent in every EQ.

Entire mythos surrounds them in EQ games.

EQ Next has halflings.