Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand. Why do you buy gold?

Comments

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by bcbully
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

diablo 3...

play a whole day and make like 1 mil gold....

or

spend $1 at auction house and buy 50 mil gold..

thats why you buy gold, and why diablo 3 fails

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    On a few games I have made the purchase  usually to get a mount or to grind out crafting for an alt. If a game has housing I have bought gold to mess around with the house or make a large upkeep deposit if i knew I was going to be gone for awhile. Kids,job, civic obligations leave little time to hop on raid treadmills or farm so drop $10 or $20 for some spending gold is not an issue. Though in all honesty even if I was single with more  money than I knew what to do with I would still not raid .
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by lukez lets say you got a 40hour/week job... theres much less time to play then someone in college/school/unemployed..... so i could either spend the little time i have for games grinding money etc etc.... or just go to any of the billion gold/money selling websites buy some for the fraction of time/money i would have to spend in a game...   selling/buying gold does not inflate the ingame economy nor does it hurt anyone.... except maybe someones ego
    Not sure where you get the idea that people in school have more time than someone working a 40 hour week job. It is quite the opposite, working I've had more time to play games, in school no time to play games.

You are in the gross minority. Being in school offers you way more free time than having a full time job for most people.

Anyway this has never bothered me. A game that is designed in such a way that gold has a ton of value is a poorly designed game in the first place. A game that is designed such that earning your stuff yourself is best is the way to go.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115

I buy gold because the economy is in shambles and the only currency that will matter is gold and silver in this doomsday wasteland apocalypse!

In games , I don't buy gold.

This could end up being very interesting.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Are people that out of touch with reality? Most people still work while in school. Not everyone gets a free ride handed to them

Nope, most people are realistic. I worked a part time job and went to school for 4 years and at no point did it compare to just working full time. Most people who are post school and working full time have some other constraint on their time. If you asked me at what point in your life between age 19 and age 40 you had the most free time the very easy answer would be ages 19-21. By far that is the timeframe where you have the most free time.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

The only game I've ever [indirectly] purchased currency is Eve, since it's legal to do so.

Just buy Plex and sell them on the Market. Simple. Who cares if your ship is destroyed, buy another. P2W.

Tip: If you're getting blown up, you're probably not winning.

But you ARE taking risks, which can be fun and exciting. I don't know about you, but I don't play MMOs  to "win".

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I've bought in-game currency a few times in the past.  Gaming has and most likely always will be one of my favorite hobbies.  When I first started I had a lot of free time, so I could get almost anything I needed just from playing.  Now I have a career and a lot less free time, but I also have enough money where I can supplement my gaming, sometimes with in-game currency.  Do I deserve X item less than someone who grinded for it?  Some would say yes, but I worked for my money too and I'll do what I please with it.  It's my way of trying to bridge the gap between myself and the people with more or unlimited free time in MMO's.  If that makes me an evil person in your eyes I'm okay with that.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

@Ramonski7:
    I would trade in 9 or more years. They are the LAST years of my life, right, not somewhere in the middle? Those years would be spent in a nursing home, more than likely anyway. Anything to shorten that time, I'll take it :)

Yeah the end, not in the middle or in the beginning.  Kinda surprising though how many people would trade that much time up front for a cool $900,000 up front. Me personally, I wouldn't trade any, I quite enjoy every minute of my time with the family I've nurtured. Maybe that's why I have no problem buying gold in some games, I know my time is worth more to me.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by iridescence

If the guild has mostly gotten to level 50 and you're still at level 30, you're probably not going to be able to play with your guild much. Just tossing that out there as an answer to the time argument, which is one of many reasons players buy gold and other items in MMOs.

Sounds like your problem is mostly with your guild then? Find a different one or ask them to run things with you you have time and ability for. PVE MMOs shouldn't be a competition, except maybe in the kind of hardcore groups where everyone gets off on the competitive aspect.

At no point in that post or any other did I say I was buying gold, experiencing said problem, or that I found PvE a competition. How you got any of that from my post is amazing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Deathenger
    because grinding resources/farming ad-nauseum sucks. I have bought gold many times. flame away

I wouldn't play a video game if I found parts of it so broken I had to bypass them by going outside of the game to skip them. That is my argument. I wouldn't play the game at all if it was designed so poorly I felt I needed to do this.

I played an MMO once (not naming names) that I found the task of collecting materials so boring and unnecessarily long that I decided not to play that one. I put my money towards games that have features I find fun. Games that are not my cup of tea I don't play. Simple as that.

I find what you are doing illogical. I think I will purposely try to entertain myself by raking leaves yet I don't really like raking leaves so I will pay someone else to do it.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Panther2103

I remember a time in Lineage 2 when I could not make gold on my own, it was a completely separate grind in a separate area of the game, and the leveling was such a giant grind at the time that anyone focusing purely on that missed out completely on the adena grinding. You had to have two accounts to make any decent money and even then it was making a margin of a profit off of a dwarf character sitting in town selling things for 2 to 5 more adena than you got them for, it was garbage unless you happened to be a very high level in a good clan who had bosses on farm and heroes, if you had that then you were an adena making machine. I had to buy gold at points just to be able to get gear to continue my leveling, just because gear was so insanely overpriced and the crafting took so many materials that I just didn't have the time to dump into every single aspect of the game. 

Oh I forgot to add as well, back in the time when I bought gold, real item drops in Lineage 2 had maybe a 0.005% chance to happen, so in 3 years of playing from the launch I got maybe 2 real items that dropped both of which were complete garbage.

I was in the same boat. Lineage II was the only game I was actually "forced" to buy gold. This was a subscription game back then too around 2006. I quit shortly after I bought the gold because it was plain as day NCSoft lost control of the game's economy and it was going to be a pointless and painful endevor to continue playing. Bots and gold sellers completely took over that game what a shame.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

At no point in that post or any other did I say I was buying gold, experiencing said problem, or that I found PvE a competition. How you got any of that from my post is amazing.

I never accused you of buying gold or anything else. Your earlier  post advanced a rationale for why someone might buy gold. My post was an argument against that rationale. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Because I can....
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Rorhc

I buy gold because the economy is in shambles and the only currency that will matter is gold and silver in this doomsday wasteland apocalypse!

You can't eat gold, and in a 'true' doomsday scenario gold would be without value, its heavy, it can't be used for anything in a meaningful way.  In a doomsday 'scenario' the most valuable thing to possess would probably be fertile land. image

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Laziness, impatience and selfishness.

Laziness and impatience because they want everything, now, and can't be arsed to play the game to actually earn it. That's the instant gratification crowd, sadly a part of the population that is increasing nowadays in "civilized" countries, and not only for MMOs.

Selfishness because they don't care that their actions ruin the economy of the game for everyone else. Not them directly, but the farmers. Gold farmers ruin auction houses. They ruin resource gathering by constantly farming all the spots. They ruin quest areas by constantly killing mobs, often with bots. They are basically griefing the whole honest player base (those who don't buy gold) and are doing that 24 hours a day.

The equation is simple: no buyers = no market, and no market = no gold farmers. The culprits for games invaded by farmers, bots and gold spammers are not the farmers directly, but the buyers.

The only situation where I don't mind gold buying is in games that provide that service themself, in their own shop, so farmers are not involved.

Latest example for me was first logging in Age of Wushu when I started playing. First thing I was greeted by was half a dozen gold farmers spamming their messages. So long for the immersive martial arts based world... it totally ruined my mood for that day, and I only logged back in to play more several days later. All games are plagued by that crap, and the culprits are YOU, the selfish BUYERS.

My computer is better than yours.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Rorhc

You can't eat gold, and in a 'true' doomsday scenario gold would be without value, its heavy, it can't be used for anything in a meaningful way.  In a doomsday 'scenario' the most valuable thing to possess would probably be fertile land. image

No, firearms/ammunition and an army who can use them would be the most valuable, so you can take people's gold and force others to farm the fertile land to feed said army. Don't you watch Revolution on TV?  image

As we've seen from this thread, people buy game gold primarily because their free time has value to them, and they are able to trade real world cash in order to save time in game.

They really are just another form of whale really, willing to spend money on entertainment products, difference being whales normally are operating within the boundaries of  a title's cash shop, and these folks sometimes are operating outside of it if there is no in game way to accommodate it.

They aren't lazy, likely work more hours than most here on these forums, though they are trying to circumvent tedious content in order to enjoy the parts of the game they like.

I saw this frequently in EVE, where people had no interest in the PVE activities, no matter how "easy" they might be or not.  They logged in to do one thing, PVP, so all of their training was to that end, and they would trade PLEX regularly to support that play style.

While it is true, if there were no buyers, there'd be no sellers, and none of the associated issues with RMT.  But since that is never likely to happen, it's up to the developers to spend the money to "Police" their titles, and there are ways they can combat RMT, however it costs money on their part  (and requires some extra creativity) which they frequently fail to deliver on .

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

It's an issue of time/motivation...

I don't see it as buying gold. I don't have a whole lot of time to devote to the game (Casual), nor do I have the motivation to work for in-game currency so I "pay" for someone else's time/motivation. If we all had the time and motivation, no one would buy gold because they wouldn't need it.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    THis is a good video that ive watched a few times, Its from the point of view of gold sellers, in fact a buyer in that, watch it very good watch

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    It really is very simple, its my money and I will spend it how I wish.  Get over it.
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

I bought gold for games from time to time in the past for a little financial boost, as I had very little experience in gaining ingame gold official ways.

People that play in game market have more bad influence on other players, but no one cares about that since it is something already accepted in real world too. Some tricks, like buying for cheaper and selling for more, how is that honest? There was never anything moraly correct or honest about trading and money making in the world ever, so why suddenly complain about it. Buying gold for real money is just another way of doing what was always done.

I don't buy gold anymore, since I learned legal ways to cheat people out of their money in game... playing with the market.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I don't understand it in WoW since there is the potential to earn unlimited gold in a short amount of time legit if you know what you are doing and even if you don't you can farm gold manually yourself without buying it and get what you want that way without paying for it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Soraksis
    It really is very simple, its my money and I will spend it how I wish.  Get over it.

Oh yes, you could also use your money to (for instance, only an example!) buy illegal drugs, and then be punished if caught. Same for gold in MMOs, you can use your money to illegally buy some, and get banned if caught. Get over it ;-)

"You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect." - The Merovingian, Matrix Reloaded.

My computer is better than yours.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    @Ramonski7: I would trade in 9 or more years. They are the LAST years of my life, right, not somewhere in the middle? Those years would be spent in a nursing home, more than likely anyway. Anything to shorten that time, I'll take it :)
    Yeah the end, not in the middle or in the beginning.  Kinda surprising though how many people would trade that much time up front for a cool $900,000 up front. Me personally, I wouldn't trade any, I quite enjoy every minute of my time with the family I've nurtured. Maybe that's why I have no problem buying gold in some games, I know my time is worth more to me.
    Ouch! I'd rather leave this world before becoming too much of a burden to my loved ones. Some people hang on to life at any cost, though. To each their own :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Laziness and impatience because they want everything, now, and can't be arsed to play the game to actually earn it. That's the instant gratification crowd, sadly a part of the population that is increasing nowadays in "civilized" countries, and not only for MMOs.

Selfishness because they don't care that their actions ruin the economy of the game for everyone else. Not them directly, but the farmers. Gold farmers ruin auction houses. They ruin resource gathering by constantly farming all the spots. They ruin quest areas by constantly killing mobs, often with bots. They are basically griefing the whole honest player base (those who don't buy gold) and are doing that 24 hours a day.

The equation is simple: no buyers = no market, and no market = no gold farmers. The culprits for games invaded by farmers, bots and gold spammers are not the farmers directly, but the buyers.

The only situation where I don't mind gold buying is in games that provide that service themself, in their own shop, so farmers are not involved.

Latest example for me was first logging in Age of Wushu when I started playing. First thing I was greeted by was half a dozen gold farmers spamming their messages. So long for the immersive martial arts based world... it totally ruined my mood for that day, and I only logged back in to play more several days later. All games are plagued by that crap, and the culprits are YOU, the selfish BUYERS.

This. If you buy gold your supporting the people who ruin the game for me.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

This. If you buy gold your supporting the people who ruin the game for me.

It seems like you've both assumed both "illegal" and "third party" are part of the equation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre