Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand. Why do you buy gold?

Comments

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    [Double posted]
  • Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by Psion33
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I have bought gold before and would do it again if I felt the need to. No one will ever tell me what to do with my money. Don't bother replying to my post because I wont reply back. image

What causes the feeling of need for you? I don't think anyone in this thread said "you shouldn't buy gold." What's the feeling you get when you buy that item with the gold you bought? 

I hope you do reply. 

Read the 2nd post on this thread. Most people on this site have no clue what a real hardcore mmo is.

Hardcore gameplay is downright laughable. If anything it boils down to twitch gameplay with a myriad of options.  I don't want a job I want a game. "Hardcore." Lulz.

If "hardcore" gameplay ever really kicks off I'm gonna be watching youtube videos rather then playing games myself more then likely. "I iz hardcore. Just finished off a 52 button combination..." LOL.

Which brings us back to the "baseline" for hardcore. Which currently in games is base plus anything. So making a quasi combo (not game intended) on your own makes you hardcore. Playing for long hours doesn't make you hardcore. your twitches=your hardcore ability = FPS are Gods.

You won't be missed. 

On topic. Gold buyers are a bane to the existence of MMO's along with F2P advocates. Making gold in any game yes L2 included back in the day was not that hard. Just having an inkling of intelligence is all you need; something the MMO crowd is extremely lacking. 

I think Vunak is one of the pesky troll reporters here...a cancer. Why else start with "you won't be missed." As if you exert some sort of power or something. I'm think I'm going to report my first person ever lol.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    To avoid mind numbingly boring loong grinds. I only buy gold if it's "legal" though, IE eve plex/gw2 gems>gold.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    My first MMO was WoW and for about 2 xpacs I never had more than 2KG then when MOP hit I finally learned how people were making gold. So I farmed the hell out of herbs I knew would be in demand because I was in the beta. But while I was in WotLK I bought 10KG because I didnt understand how to make over 1KG.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    I have bought gold before and would do it again if I felt the need to. No one will ever tell me what to do with my money. Don't bother replying to my post because I wont reply back. image

What causes the feeling of need for you? I don't think anyone in this thread said "you shouldn't buy gold." What's the feeling you get when you buy that item with the gold you bought? 

I hope you do reply. 

Read the 2nd post on this thread. Most people on this site have no clue what a real hardcore mmo is.

LOL. "Hardcore" and "MMO" used in the same sentence. What a comedian you are.

You are one of the people that I am talking about that simply don't understand and yet still make silly replies. Take for instance a game like Eve Online. Games like that have people that have spent years investing into there character. They cant just reroll and get back to where they were in a week or a month and probably even a year. I am sure even McBully can say the same about Age of Wushu. These are the mmos that have a more hardcore play style that most people do not play and do not understand. I got a question for you. Have you ever played a mmo that was not quest based?

Time investment does not equal hardcore, genius.

As for your question: UO 11 years, Eve: 7 years

Now run along.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Not only do I purchase in game currency, I also hire a young 'street tough' from China to do all the raiding & PvP for me. I do very little but watch the game these days. I do, however, always customize my characters & remotely check in on my characters on a weekly basis to make sure the progression continues at a satisfactory pace.

The real question is: Am I a gamer, or just a capitalist exploiting the system?

Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Not only do I purchase in game currency, I also hire a young 'street tough' from China to do all the raiding & PvP for me. I do very little but watch the game these days. I do, however, always customize my characters & remotely check in on my characters on a weekly basis to make sure the progression continues at a satisfactory pace.

The real question is: Am I a gamer, or just a capitalist exploiting the system?

You can't be both?

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Depends on the value of the game I'm playing and the mileage I'm expecting to get out of it. With a game I truly like, I wouldn't do it. But with a game I know I'm not really vested into I might. It's funny how we all feel time is more important than money (or there wouldn't be a business for gold farmers), but is it really so simple? Sometimes money is more important than time with some folks. Let me ask:

I feel sorry for people willing to sacrifice years from their life for money.. So sad.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I feel sorry for people willing to sacrifice years from their life for money.. So sad.

You do realize that's pretty much the definition of a "job", right?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I hope you do reply. 

LOL. "Hardcore" and "MMO" used in the same sentence. What a comedian you are.

You are one of the people that I am talking about that simply don't understand and yet still make silly replies. Take for instance a game like Eve Online. Games like that have people that have spent years investing into there character. They cant just reroll and get back to where they were in a week or a month and probably even a year. I am sure even McBully can say the same about Age of Wushu. These are the mmos that have a more hardcore play style that most people do not play and do not understand. I got a question for you. Have you ever played a mmo that was not quest based?

Time investment does not equal hardcore, genius.

As for your question: UO 11 years, Eve: 7 years

Now run along.

I did not say time invested meant hardcore. I said they have a more hardcore play style and if you really played Eve Online for 7 years then you should know what I am talking about but since you don't it shows you have not.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Laziness, false sense of entitlement, desire for instant gratification, desire to cheat, take your pick.

If they were playing chess and they thought they could get away with it, they'd be buying chess pieces from the other players in the room.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• NirvyNirvy Member Posts: 73

Im 33, have a wife and kids. I pull in over £200,000 a year but we have little time to game between us.

Lots of money + little time to game = me buying gold for my wife and myself.

I get to experience the genre i love, and not have to neglect my wife and kids.

• cenen7cenen7 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    to avoid spending time grinding to accomplish a certain goal
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Dontneed
    Originally posted by Nirvy

Im 33, have a wife and kids. I pull in over £200,000 a year but we have little time to game between us.

Can't explain better than what this guy wrote above.

My problem with the time argument is, MMORPGS don't go anywhere. Why not play the game? Sure you might "experience" the game a month later because you can't keep up with the 50 hour a week people, but what does that matter?

I mean I guess if you want it now, but that doesn't qualify as a lack of time. That's just wanting it now. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

I did not say time invested meant hardcore. I said they have a more hardcore play style and if you really played Eve Online for 7 years then you should know what I am talking about but since you don't it shows you have not.

Oh yes, I disagree with your assessment so I must have never played Eve. I always love that pseudo-argument

You should be careful because here's the other side of that coin: If you haven't figured out by now that Eve gameplay is average and utterly predictable, then you must really suck at it.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

If you're playing a F2P game with micro-transactions, whether it be cosmetic, content, or something that impacts your character (items, stat boosts, or short term buffs); would purchasing gold be "ok"?  What if the game is subscription, and doesn't have RMT or micro transactions?  Is it wrong (beyond being against the TOS)?

I've purchased gold in the past, back when it was a little safer (thank you Player Auctions) and have played many games with some sort of micro-transaction or game-sponsored currency purchase.  Video games are my hobby.  'm a single, mid 30s, middle class, college graduate.  I have no kids.  I don't party, smoke, and rarely drink.  So, I have a little extra cash to go towards my entertainment.  While I personally don't purchase gold anymore from 3rd parties, I know there are many like me that will buy gold to help make their gaming experience more enjoyable.

So, there is your answer.  Well, sort of.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Dontneed
    Originally posted by Nirvy

Can't explain better than what this guy wrote above.

My problem with the time argument is, MMORPGS don't go anywhere. Why not play the game? Sure you might "experience" the game a month later because you can't keep up with the 50 hour a week people, but what does that matter?

I mean I guess if you want it now, but that doesn't qualify as a lack of time. That's just wanting it now. 

I don't normally agree with bcbully, but when I do, it's on points like this.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The only game I've ever [indirectly] purchased currency is Eve, since it's legal to do so.

Just buy Plex and sell them on the Market. Simple. Who cares if your ship is destroyed, buy another. P2W.

Tip: If you're getting blown up, you're probably not winning.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Maybe you're new to MMOs, at which point the answer probably wouldn't be obvious to you, but most MMOs are level-based and, as such, are tiered in content. If the guild has mostly gotten to level 50 and you're still at level 30, you're probably not going to be able to play with your guild much. Just tossing that out there as an answer to the time argument, which is one of many reasons players buy gold and other items in MMOs.

And for related humor, here's fitting panel from a comic on Robot-Hugs.com

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    So I can get that 2 million gold awsome chest armor right away instead of farming for 2 weeks straight and losing my mind.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Some people are just lazy plain and simple. Willing to sacrifice the journey for the destination. Its the same folks who repeat content they don't like over and over simply because it yields the best xp or money.

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 318
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I have a job where I am able to work as many hours as I want and I make a lot per hour.   Sooooo..  I can do that and make a 1000 dollars in a day or I can play all day long farming boring stuff to make like 20 dollars worth gold.

I play games to have fun, farming is not fun so I just don't do it anymore ever.  Oh and I don't play games where you have to farm rep or any thing else for that matter.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

@Ramonski7:
    I would trade in 9 or more years. They are the LAST years of my life, right, not somewhere in the middle? Those years would be spent in a nursing home, more than likely anyway. Anything to shorten that time, I'll take it :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

If the guild has mostly gotten to level 50 and you're still at level 30, you're probably not going to be able to play with your guild much. Just tossing that out there as an answer to the time argument, which is one of many reasons players buy gold and other items in MMOs.

Sounds like your problem is mostly with your guild then? Find a different one or ask them to run things with you you have time and ability for. PVE MMOs shouldn't be a competition, except maybe in the kind of hardcore groups where everyone gets off on the competitive aspect.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

In case of Age of Wushu : it is far cheaper to buy gold from gold farmer than buying it from "snail games : the reaper of wallet".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.