Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Help me understand. Why do you buy gold?

Comments

• obsolete5obsolete5 alabamer, ALPosts: 82Member

besides the 'time is money' and if you have money and dont mind 'cheating' a bit to get ingame currency (sometimes, depending on the game and usually pve games, i like to progress only naturally as it adds another layer of depth to the game, for me) another concept used in games like Eve is investing in yourself or seeding the market.  you may buy $50 near when you started or even buy a better character, planning on using this investment to eventually sell items yourself and make a profit, more time efficiently than if you had to gather the original amount of items at the pace you were originally limited to.  another reason ive traded in certain games for ingame items was because i had made profit selling items i made in other games.  i decided it was a bit more fair to use this game profit on other game purchases.

i personally dont think RMT will ever go away.  the problem i have is with instanced nonPvP games, and even in EVE the biggest producers are the mining bots and market bots, there is no player check on them.  open world pvp really weeds out who gets to do the productive farming and botting fast.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon

Depends on the value of the game I'm playing and the mileage I'm expecting to get out of it. With a game I truly like, I wouldn't do it. But with a game I know I'm not really vested into I might. It's funny how we all feel time is more important than money (or there wouldn't be a business for gold farmers), but is it really so simple? Sometimes money is more important than time with some folks. Let me ask:

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,666Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by lukez
    Originally posted by Aori

Yes it is your opinion and it isn't correct. I've had contact with many people who squandered their real cash for money. Some failed to pay rent, some had to use savings, others had to "pawn" their account. I've even known people who were suits that got landed in to trouble from dumping 10s of thousands of dollars in virtual goods.

Many people don't have the money to spend on it but like what it does for them.

i know people who pay thousands of dollars each month on cars/alcohol/cloth..... just because some people cant handle money....

The point is, most people don't have the money they spend on virtual goods. Not sure what you're trying to say here, a good amount of people who spend thousands on cars, alcohol or cloth a month don't have that money either.

An interesting statement to see after you corrected someone's opinion. I don't doubt that you and your friends can't manage your money. However, your conclusion based on that is purely anecdotal. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 London MIlls, ILPosts: 247Member Uncommon

1. Farming gold is boring.

I think we can all agree on this. IF your playing the game for the sole purpose of increasing your money, it's not going to be fun.

2. Transitive property.

If          

Gold = Time 

And

Time = Money

Than

Money SHOULD = Gold as well

Saying that it doesn't or can't or shouldn't  is flawed logic to the HIGHEST DEGREE

3. Time is a finite resource. Why spend that time doing something Un-fun. I understand that you are ruining the games economy. I understand that in the long term your going to degrade the quality of your own experience. If game companies are going to force you to play their game in un-interesting ways to accomplish tasks however, then that's on them.

Just so you guys know. I have never, and likely will never buy gold in any game. I've never really had a problem getting gold because I enjoy gathering crafting mats and in most games there are ways to make gold that are fun. However, there are games where it really is just a grind for the sake of having a time-sink, and I understand why players would want to pay for the gold, if it took them less time to earn the cash than it will to earn the gold.

• iridescenceiridescence Elliot Lake, ONPosts: 1,486Member
    Originally posted by bcbully
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I've never bought gold and never will. If the process of earning things in games is so boring and unfufilling that I'm tempted to spend real money to escape it, time to find another game.

Why people do it boils down to laziness. Many of the new generation of players don't want to actually play games and get a sense of accomplishment out of earning the rewards. The just want "All the shiny stuff! NOW!". It's not surprising that third parties and increasingly game companies themselves are exploiting this laziness. SOE is even going to sell ready-made level 85 characters in EQ2 because a lot of people can't be bothered to level up properly.

It makes me sad for the state of games and I hope everyone who buys gold illegally gets their credit card stolen or account hacked, since the more people buy it on the black market the more companies are going to seek to profit themselves from these "features".

• Psion33Psion33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 248Member
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I despise the person buying the gold as much as I despise the person selling the gold. Now does that mean I wish he/she didn't have the option? No. 

I have no problem with despising people. Yes, they can do what they want with their own money and I can cast any judgement about them as I want with no recourse and my chosen reaction is to despise them. Nothing at all wrong with it since it's a personal notion.

Jm2c. :)

EDIT: Someone told me the other day "bro, they just trying to make a buck." My response, "sucks to be them." :P (A chat we had in DCUO...but he didn't have a response lol.) That brings up another issue. Humanity in of itself doesn't care about one anohter if/when one's own needs are met. If one's needs are met it'd take a whole lot for someone to shift their thinking to another.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Cedar Springs, MIPosts: 761Member Uncommon

I never have, I don't, and I never will. I believe it should be made illegal. It is the only part of MMO gaming I think should be regulated by the real world governments.

But to be honest I don't trust real world governments anymore than I like gold farmers/sellers/buyers, so I have not called my Congressman and I never will. They can't even keep the government running, their participation in MMOs would ruin them more than we have.

I even object to MMOs allowing Players to selling their accounts, characters, or ingame gold, aka "official RMT" (reference: Wurm Online). I love Wurm Online but besides the obvious fail of adding content to the game without properly testing it (like this past year), I also abhore the RMT that goes on in Wurm. Now that I have broken my addiction to that game I will never return.

I beleive the only People that should make real world money from MMOs is the Devs, the Staff, the Artists that make MMOs possible for us to enjoy. No one else should ever profit from a MMO but them.

I always said if I ever discovered anyone in real life that was a gold farmer, gold seller, or a gold Buyer, that I would become the biggest pain in their backside they ever met.... I am still watching and looking for that person ignorant enough to participate in that crap in my presence.

There should be a boundary, a line, between the Real and the Virtual, and nothing but our avatars should ever cross it.

• moonrunnermoonrunner Olympia, WAPosts: 21Member
    Being as how a significant number of people will buy enough gold to make gold farming worth while, perhaps the answer is to get the game developer to sell gold thus increasing the profit margin and hopoefully leading to better quality content.
  • KrimzinKrimzin Fort Worth, TXPosts: 545Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Psion33
    Originally posted by bcbully It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I despise the person buying the gold as much as I despise the person selling the gold. Now does that mean I wish he/she didn't have the option? No. 

I have no problem with despising people. Yes, they can do what they want with their own money and I can cast any judgement about them as I want with no recourse and my chosen reaction is to despise them. Nothing at all wrong with it since it's a personal notion.

EDIT: Someone told me the other day "bro, they just trying to make a buck." My response, "sucks to be them." :P (A chat we had in DCUO...but he didn't have a response lol.) That brings up another issue. Humanity in of itself doesn't care about one anohter if/when one's own needs are met. If one's needs are met it'd take a whole lot for someone to shift their thinking to another.

Let me ask you a question.

Do you have a good paying job.. Be honest.
    Most people who have the money could care less what other people do with their own money. People who don't have extra money tend to "despise" those who the ability to do something they don't.

Just curious.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.

It's an Orange thing
  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,095Member Uncommon
    I have bought gold before and would do it again if I felt the need to. No one will ever tell me what to do with my money. Don't bother replying to my post because I wont reply back. image
    Raptr Gamercard
  • quixadhalquixadhal Kalamazoo, MIPosts: 215Member

Most people probably buy gold because they care more about "winning" the game than they do about "playing" it.  I've known many people who buy a new game (MMO or not), race to finish it as fast as they can, skipping everything that's skippable, reading the internet to find the most optimal way to do stuff, and then after they've hit the top, done all the endgame material a few times, they get bored and move on to the next game.

In other words, they don't play the game.  They grind their way to what is recognized as a "win condition" by everyone else, and then feel like they've accmplished their goal.

If you're of that mindset, buying gold is just another way to optimize getting to that point.

Personally, I enjoy playing the games, and in many cases I never even get to "endgame" content before something else comes along.  But spending 100 hours or more playing makes it worth the money spent to buy it, since it's still much cheaper than going to the equivalent number of movies or restaurants. :)

PS:  Full disclosure... the only time I've ever purchased in-game currency was when playing EVE-Online, and that was through legitimate means (PLEX time, used half, sold half on the in-game market).  It was indeed to fund the purchase of an Orca mining support hauler, so I could solo mining and hauling with my two accounts.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member
    The reason people buy gold is simple and understandable.  They just want to save time.  It's basically a choice between spending $5 or spending 50+ hours to get the same thing.  Not everybody wants to waste that kind of time and some would rather spend a few dollars to instantly accomplish it instead.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    I have bought gold before and would do it again if I felt the need to. No one will ever tell me what to do with my money. Don't bother replying to my post because I wont reply back. image

What causes the feeling of need for you? I don't think anyone in this thread said "you shouldn't buy gold." What's the feeling you get when you buy that item with the gold you bought? 

I hope you do reply. 

• psiicpsiic Tampa, FLPosts: 943Member Uncommon

I have NEVER and NEVER will and think very poorly of anyone that does.

That being said I have a very strong opinion on why some people feel the need to buy gold.

I did my first year of high school @ American High in Miami, this was at a time when race riots were pretty severe in Miami.

I was only of maybe 10 white kids in a school of 5000, blacks, and  hispanics. ( thanks mom, thanks dad )

My first day there I got jumped by 10+ black kids that circled me and beat me down so bad I ended up being rushed to the hospital.

The following day my Dad marches me into the principles office and demands to know what the hell happened and how the school is going to handle it. 

The principle looks my dad straight in the eye and says, " I strongly suggest you buy  your child an equalizer, gun, knife, even a baseball bat to carry around. " 

Three weeks later I found myself living with my grandparent's in Tennessee.

Yet, I never forgot the serious deadly look of that principle and the way he coldly told my dad to arm his child with an equalizer.

Some people have become so reliant on equalizers in every aspect of their lives they have lost the ability to function without them. 

Buying gold to some people is just one more equalizer, it allows them to compete against the circle of black guys that are bigger, stronger, and more aggressive.

Personally I would rather just go live in Tennessee.

Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by bcbully It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

Let me ask you a question.

Do you have a good paying job.. Be honest.
    Most people who have the money could care less what other people do with their own money. People who don't have extra money tend to "despise" those who the ability to do something they don't.

Just curious.

I pay $0 in monthly bills other then $30/month for cell phone (which is entirely optional) and I sit on a $1100/month GI bill while going to college. Being a veteran I get free room and board on campus while receiving $1k a month play money...I don't know if that's "good paying" or not but I like the lifestyle.

• Inf666Inf666 DarmstadtPosts: 508Member

During school / university I had the time and despised those that bought virtual goods. I had no problem with grinding away for days for ingame money. I also did not care how much time I invested since I thought I had an unlimited amount of time.

Now with a 40 hour / week job I do not have the time anymore. I have also come to despise excessive grinding because it feels like I am wasting my precious time with boring and unfun content. It is also why I now prefer action MMOs over the classic tab-targeting snorefests. The combat is just more engaging and fun = worth my time.

I  now have no problem with paying real money for the stuff I want. The hard part is to force yourself to not buy all the high end gear at once because then the game is practically dead (no goals).

Honestly MMO developers should just embrace both player types and create a game where both can coexist. They should sell starter items for a low price and medium tier items for a HIGH price (time = money). High end items should be virtually unattainable with money or time. Getting a high end item should require other resources like skill, cooperation, timing, knowledge and luck. This way both player groups will be able to play together at a high level without jealousy.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• HeretiqueHeretique Posts: 1,101Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Really?

So if I offered you 5 million dollars to write up a paragraph or two as to the possible reasons why someone would buy gold you would sit there slack jawed and throw up your hands?

I think that makes less sense to me.

Originally posted by salsa41
    are you have problem ?

Originally posted by Inf666

During school / university I had the time and despised those that bought virtual goods. I had no problem with grinding away for days for ingame money. I also did not care how much time I invested since I thought I had an unlimited amount of time.

Now with a 40 hour / week job I do not have the time anymore. I have also come to despise excessive grinding because it feels like I am wasting my precious time with boring and unfun content. It is also why I now prefer action MMOs over the classic tab-targeting snorefests. The combat is just more engaging and fun = worth my time.

I  now have no problem with paying real money for the stuff I want. The hard part is to force yourself to not buy all the high end gear at once because then the game is practically dead (no goals).

Honestly MMO developers should just embrace both player types and create a game where both can coexist. They should sell starter items for a low price and medium tier items for a HIGH price (time = money). High end items should be virtually unattainable with money or time. Getting a high end item should require other resources like skill, cooperation, timing, knowledge and luck. This way both player groups will be able to play together at a high level without jealousy.

40 hours out of 280 total hours in a week. ;-)

Originally posted by Ujirik
    The reason people buy gold is simple and understandable.  They just want to save time.  It's basically a choice between spending $5 or spending 50+ hours to get the same thing.  Not everybody wants to waste that kind of time and some would rather spend a few dollars to instantly accomplish it instead.

But then they think of where their money is going and who it's supporting, and that hopefully stops a lot of them.

You are enabling them to do what they do. 

"Worth" will always be a akin to "humanity" and they aren't worth a penny of mine.

• usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member

The only game I've ever [indirectly] purchased currency is Eve, since it's legal to do so.

Just buy Plex and sell them on the Market. Simple. Who cares if your ship is destroyed, buy another. P2W.

• OGJacksonOGJackson Kamloops, BCPosts: 23Member

I have bought and sold gold/items in my time playing MMOs.

I used to sell a lot of items on eBay for UO and Diablo 2.

Currently just sell things on Diablo 3. I will use that money to buy currency on EQ2, so I could buy Krono ingame off the broker for a lot cheaper. If I can pay for a subscription and expansions without spending my own money why not? Who is it hurting?

• OGJacksonOGJackson Kamloops, BCPosts: 23Member

Yah cause you dont have to get up, get ready, drive to work. Work. Drive home, shower, do family things, dinner. Then go to bed to repeat for 4 or 5 days of the week.

• iridescenceiridescence Elliot Lake, ONPosts: 1,486Member

I understand what you're saying but honest question for you, what about MMOs do you enjoy? I mean, I think of them as games where you "invest" a ton of time but hopefully the gameplay is fun enough to make it worthwhile. But if you hate "wasting time" so much then isn't this a bad genre of games for you?  Do you really find raiding or whatever to be less of a grind than leveling? Pretty much everything in MMOs is designed to take your time and keep you subbed/buying things from the shop.

• Inf666Inf666 DarmstadtPosts: 508Member

Its not that simple.
    Count in sleep, social acitivites, sports, overhead (eating etc.), maybe another hobby (watching shows or whatever) and you are left with only a precious few hours for gaming. There is a difference between having 2 extra hours a day in comparison to 7-8 (school...). Your perspective changes. You will want to make those 2 hours count. Grinding with a boring and repetitive combat system gets old fast. That leaves me with two options: Not playing or skipping that content.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• RecoreRecore Posts: 5,095Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

What causes the feeling of need for you? I don't think anyone in this thread said "you shouldn't buy gold." What's the feeling you get when you buy that item with the gold you bought? 

I hope you do reply. 

Read the 2nd post on this thread. Most people on this site have no clue what a real hardcore mmo is.

Raptr Gamercard