Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand. Why do you buy gold?

Comments

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by bcbully
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I never have, I don't, and I never will. I believe it should be made illegal. It is the only part of MMO gaming I think should be regulated by the real world governments.

But to be honest I don't trust real world governments anymore than I like gold farmers/sellers/buyers, so I have not called my Congressman and I never will. They can't even keep the government running, their participation in MMOs would ruin them more than we have.

I even object to MMOs allowing Players to selling their accounts, characters, or ingame gold, aka "official RMT" (reference: Wurm Online). I love Wurm Online but besides the obvious fail of adding content to the game without properly testing it (like this past year), I also abhore the RMT that goes on in Wurm. Now that I have broken my addiction to that game I will never return.

I beleive the only People that should make real world money from MMOs is the Devs, the Staff, the Artists that make MMOs possible for us to enjoy. No one else should ever profit from a MMO but them.

I always said if I ever discovered anyone in real life that was a gold farmer, gold seller, or a gold Buyer, that I would become the biggest pain in their backside they ever met.... I am still watching and looking for that person ignorant enough to participate in that crap in my presence.

There should be a boundary, a line, between the Real and the Virtual, and nothing but our avatars should ever cross it.

• moonrunnermoonrunner Member Posts: 21
    Being as how a significant number of people will buy enough gold to make gold farming worth while, perhaps the answer is to get the game developer to sell gold thus increasing the profit margin and hopoefully leading to better quality content.
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by Psion33
    Originally posted by bcbully It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I despise the person buying the gold as much as I despise the person selling the gold. Now does that mean I wish he/she didn't have the option? No. 

I have no problem with despising people. Yes, they can do what they want with their own money and I can cast any judgement about them as I want with no recourse and my chosen reaction is to despise them. Nothing at all wrong with it since it's a personal notion.

Jm2c. :)

EDIT: Someone told me the other day "bro, they just trying to make a buck." My response, "sucks to be them." :P (A chat we had in DCUO...but he didn't have a response lol.) That brings up another issue. Humanity in of itself doesn't care about one anohter if/when one's own needs are met. If one's needs are met it'd take a whole lot for someone to shift their thinking to another.

Let me ask you a question.

Do you have a good paying job.. Be honest.
    Most people who have the money could care less what other people do with their own money. People who don't have extra money tend to "despise" those who the ability to do something they don't.

Just curious.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I have bought gold before and would do it again if I felt the need to. No one will ever tell me what to do with my money. Don't bother replying to my post because I wont reply back. image
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Most people probably buy gold because they care more about "winning" the game than they do about "playing" it.  I've known many people who buy a new game (MMO or not), race to finish it as fast as they can, skipping everything that's skippable, reading the internet to find the most optimal way to do stuff, and then after they've hit the top, done all the endgame material a few times, they get bored and move on to the next game.

In other words, they don't play the game.  They grind their way to what is recognized as a "win condition" by everyone else, and then feel like they've accmplished their goal.

If you're of that mindset, buying gold is just another way to optimize getting to that point.

Personally, I enjoy playing the games, and in many cases I never even get to "endgame" content before something else comes along.  But spending 100 hours or more playing makes it worth the money spent to buy it, since it's still much cheaper than going to the equivalent number of movies or restaurants. :)

PS:  Full disclosure... the only time I've ever purchased in-game currency was when playing EVE-Online, and that was through legitimate means (PLEX time, used half, sold half on the in-game market).  It was indeed to fund the purchase of an Orca mining support hauler, so I could solo mining and hauling with my two accounts.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    The reason people buy gold is simple and understandable.  They just want to save time.  It's basically a choice between spending $5 or spending 50+ hours to get the same thing.  Not everybody wants to waste that kind of time and some would rather spend a few dollars to instantly accomplish it instead.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    I have bought gold before and would do it again if I felt the need to. No one will ever tell me what to do with my money. Don't bother replying to my post because I wont reply back. image

What causes the feeling of need for you? I don't think anyone in this thread said "you shouldn't buy gold." What's the feeling you get when you buy that item with the gold you bought? 

I hope you do reply. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I have NEVER and NEVER will and think very poorly of anyone that does.

That being said I have a very strong opinion on why some people feel the need to buy gold.

I did my first year of high school @ American High in Miami, this was at a time when race riots were pretty severe in Miami.

I was only of maybe 10 white kids in a school of 5000, blacks, and  hispanics. ( thanks mom, thanks dad )

My first day there I got jumped by 10+ black kids that circled me and beat me down so bad I ended up being rushed to the hospital.

The following day my Dad marches me into the principles office and demands to know what the hell happened and how the school is going to handle it. 

The principle looks my dad straight in the eye and says, " I strongly suggest you buy  your child an equalizer, gun, knife, even a baseball bat to carry around. " 

Three weeks later I found myself living with my grandparent's in Tennessee.

Yet, I never forgot the serious deadly look of that principle and the way he coldly told my dad to arm his child with an equalizer.

Some people have become so reliant on equalizers in every aspect of their lives they have lost the ability to function without them. 

Buying gold to some people is just one more equalizer, it allows them to compete against the circle of black guys that are bigger, stronger, and more aggressive.

Personally I would rather just go live in Tennessee.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by bcbully It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I despise the person buying the gold as much as I despise the person selling the gold. Now does that mean I wish he/she didn't have the option? No. 

I have no problem with despising people. Yes, they can do what they want with their own money and I can cast any judgement about them as I want with no recourse and my chosen reaction is to despise them. Nothing at all wrong with it since it's a personal notion.

Jm2c. :)

EDIT: Someone told me the other day "bro, they just trying to make a buck." My response, "sucks to be them." :P (A chat we had in DCUO...but he didn't have a response lol.) That brings up another issue. Humanity in of itself doesn't care about one anohter if/when one's own needs are met. If one's needs are met it'd take a whole lot for someone to shift their thinking to another.

Let me ask you a question.

Do you have a good paying job.. Be honest.
    Most people who have the money could care less what other people do with their own money. People who don't have extra money tend to "despise" those who the ability to do something they don't.

Just curious.

I pay $0 in monthly bills other then $30/month for cell phone (which is entirely optional) and I sit on a $1100/month GI bill while going to college. Being a veteran I get free room and board on campus while receiving $1k a month play money...I don't know if that's "good paying" or not but I like the lifestyle.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

During school / university I had the time and despised those that bought virtual goods. I had no problem with grinding away for days for ingame money. I also did not care how much time I invested since I thought I had an unlimited amount of time.

Now with a 40 hour / week job I do not have the time anymore. I have also come to despise excessive grinding because it feels like I am wasting my precious time with boring and unfun content. It is also why I now prefer action MMOs over the classic tab-targeting snorefests. The combat is just more engaging and fun = worth my time.

I  now have no problem with paying real money for the stuff I want. The hard part is to force yourself to not buy all the high end gear at once because then the game is practically dead (no goals).

Honestly MMO developers should just embrace both player types and create a game where both can coexist. They should sell starter items for a low price and medium tier items for a HIGH price (time = money). High end items should be virtually unattainable with money or time. Getting a high end item should require other resources like skill, cooperation, timing, knowledge and luck. This way both player groups will be able to play together at a high level without jealousy.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

Really?

So if I offered you 5 million dollars to write up a paragraph or two as to the possible reasons why someone would buy gold you would sit there slack jawed and throw up your hands?

I think that makes less sense to me.

Originally posted by Inf666

During school / university I had the time and despised those that bought virtual goods. I had no problem with grinding away for days for ingame money. I also did not care how much time I invested since I thought I had an unlimited amount of time.

Now with a 40 hour / week job I do not have the time anymore. I have also come to despise excessive grinding because it feels like I am wasting my precious time with boring and unfun content. It is also why I now prefer action MMOs over the classic tab-targeting snorefests. The combat is just more engaging and fun = worth my time.

I  now have no problem with paying real money for the stuff I want. The hard part is to force yourself to not buy all the high end gear at once because then the game is practically dead (no goals).

Honestly MMO developers should just embrace both player types and create a game where both can coexist. They should sell starter items for a low price and medium tier items for a HIGH price (time = money). High end items should be virtually unattainable with money or time. Getting a high end item should require other resources like skill, cooperation, timing, knowledge and luck. This way both player groups will be able to play together at a high level without jealousy.

40 hours out of 280 total hours in a week. ;-)

Originally posted by Ujirik
    The reason people buy gold is simple and understandable.  They just want to save time.  It's basically a choice between spending $5 or spending 50+ hours to get the same thing.  Not everybody wants to waste that kind of time and some would rather spend a few dollars to instantly accomplish it instead.

But then they think of where their money is going and who it's supporting, and that hopefully stops a lot of them.

You are enabling them to do what they do. 

"Worth" will always be a akin to "humanity" and they aren't worth a penny of mine.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

The only game I've ever [indirectly] purchased currency is Eve, since it's legal to do so.

Just buy Plex and sell them on the Market. Simple. Who cares if your ship is destroyed, buy another. P2W.

• OGJacksonOGJackson Member UncommonPosts: 23

I have bought and sold gold/items in my time playing MMOs.

I used to sell a lot of items on eBay for UO and Diablo 2.

Currently just sell things on Diablo 3. I will use that money to buy currency on EQ2, so I could buy Krono ingame off the broker for a lot cheaper. If I can pay for a subscription and expansions without spending my own money why not? Who is it hurting?

• OGJacksonOGJackson Member UncommonPosts: 23

Yah cause you dont have to get up, get ready, drive to work. Work. Drive home, shower, do family things, dinner. Then go to bed to repeat for 4 or 5 days of the week.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I understand what you're saying but honest question for you, what about MMOs do you enjoy? I mean, I think of them as games where you "invest" a ton of time but hopefully the gameplay is fun enough to make it worthwhile. But if you hate "wasting time" so much then isn't this a bad genre of games for you?  Do you really find raiding or whatever to be less of a grind than leveling? Pretty much everything in MMOs is designed to take your time and keep you subbed/buying things from the shop.

Its not that simple.
    Count in sleep, social acitivites, sports, overhead (eating etc.), maybe another hobby (watching shows or whatever) and you are left with only a precious few hours for gaming. There is a difference between having 2 extra hours a day in comparison to 7-8 (school...). Your perspective changes. You will want to make those 2 hours count. Grinding with a boring and repetitive combat system gets old fast. That leaves me with two options: Not playing or skipping that content.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

What causes the feeling of need for you? I don't think anyone in this thread said "you shouldn't buy gold." What's the feeling you get when you buy that item with the gold you bought? 

I hope you do reply. 

Read the 2nd post on this thread. Most people on this site have no clue what a real hardcore mmo is.

I hope you do reply. 

Read the 2nd post on this thread. Most people on this site have no clue what a real hardcore mmo is.

Hardcore gameplay is downright laughable. If anything it boils down to twitch gameplay with a myriad of options.  I don't want a job I want a game. "Hardcore." Lulz.

If "hardcore" gameplay ever really kicks off I'm gonna be watching youtube videos rather then playing games myself more then likely. "I iz hardcore. Just finished off a 52 button combination..." LOL.

Which brings us back to the "baseline" for hardcore. Which currently in games is base plus anything. So making a quasi combo (not game intended) on your own makes you hardcore. Playing for long hours doesn't make you hardcore. your twitches=your hardcore ability = FPS are Gods.

Originally posted by iridescence

I understand what you're saying but honest question for you, what about MMOs do you enjoy? I mean, I think of them as games where you "invest" a ton of time but hopefully the gameplay is fun enough to make it worthwhile. But if you hate "wasting time" so much then isn't this a bad genre of games for you?  Do you really find raiding or whatever to be less of a grind than leveling? Pretty much everything in MMOs is designed to take your time and keep you subbed/buying things from the shop.

I am an explorer and enjoy getting to see all of the content, solve the puzzles and overcome the challenges. I visit a dungeon for a few times and then move on. Why should I continue to redo a challenge I have already overcome a few times? It just doesn't make any sense. Once the game holds no secrets or challenges for me I leave. Thus a game with deep mechanics, hard challenges and lots of content would keep me busy for a while (I played EVE for three years). And yes, the oversimplification of MMOs in recent years is really becoming frustrating.

---

I hope you do reply. 

Hardcore gameplay is downright laughable. If anything it boils down to twitch gameplay with a myriad of options.  I don't want a job I want a game. "Hardcore." Lulz.

If "hardcore" gameplay ever really kicks off I'm gonna be watching youtube videos rather then playing games myself more then likely. "I iz hardcore. Just finished off a 52 button combination..." LOL.

Which brings us back to the "baseline" for hardcore. Which currently in games is base plus anything. So making a quasi combo (not game intended) on your own makes you hardcore. Playing for long hours doesn't make you hardcore. your twitches=your hardcore ability = FPS are Gods.

You have no idea what I am even talking about.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I hope you do reply. 

You won't be missed. 

On topic. Gold buyers are a bane to the existence of MMO's along with F2P advocates. Making gold in any game yes L2 included back in the day was not that hard. Just having an inkling of intelligence is all you need; something the MMO crowd is extremely lacking. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I hope you do reply. 

LOL. "Hardcore" and "MMO" used in the same sentence. What a comedian you are.

Originally posted by grimgryphon

I hope you do reply. 

LOL. "Hardcore" and "MMO" used in the same sentence. What a comedian you are.

You are one of the people that I am talking about that simply don't understand and yet still make silly replies. Take for instance a game like Eve Online. Games like that have people that have spent years investing into there character. They cant just reroll and get back to where they were in a week or a month and probably even a year. I am sure even McBully can say the same about Age of Wushu. These are the mmos that have a more hardcore play style that most people do not play and do not understand. I got a question for you. Have you ever played a mmo that was not quest based?