Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World of Warcraft: Court Sides with Activision Blizzard

2

Comments

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

    this is offtopic

    but to contest what jesteralways claims about EQ copying UO

     

    Business magazine article from 2002

    History of EQ

    http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/topic/1208/Business-20-magazine-history-of-EverQuest#.UlgxChBuHYQ

    He knew that CyberStrike, while primitive, was on the right track. If he was willing to pay to play, he reasoned, there were probably lots of other gamers out there who would be too. So in 1996, Smedley pitched his boss at a Sony-owned PlayStation development studio on the idea of an online role-playing game. It would involve thousands of players at a time, he said. It would be three-dimensional. It would make a fortune.


    Smedley recalls, "I got three minutes into this huge presentation, and he just flat out said, 'No.'"


    But a few months later, a new boss, Kelly Flock, arrived. Smedley tried his pitch again. He pointed out that programmers at other companies were already working on virtual-world games like Meridian 59. And while he didn't know it at the time, Electronic Arts was already working on Ultima Online. He got the green light: EverQuest was a go. Smedley hired McQuaid and Steve Clover, two ace game programmers who were slaving as corporate systems administrators. Within three years, the small San Diego skunk works grew into a team of 56 developers and one of Sony's most expensive game projects, with a development budget approaching $5 million.

  • JeroKaneJeroKane OsloPosts: 5,353Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

    this is offtopic

    but to contest what jesteralways claims about EQ copying UO

     

    Business magazine article from 2002

    History of EQ

    http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/topic/1208/Business-20-magazine-history-of-EverQuest#.UlgxChBuHYQ

    He knew that CyberStrike, while primitive, was on the right track. If he was willing to pay to play, he reasoned, there were probably lots of other gamers out there who would be too. So in 1996, Smedley pitched his boss at a Sony-owned PlayStation development studio on the idea of an online role-playing game. It would involve thousands of players at a time, he said. It would be three-dimensional. It would make a fortune.


    Smedley recalls, "I got three minutes into this huge presentation, and he just flat out said, 'No.'"


    But a few months later, a new boss, Kelly Flock, arrived. Smedley tried his pitch again. He pointed out that programmers at other companies were already working on virtual-world games like Meridian 59. And while he didn't know it at the time, Electronic Arts was already working on Ultima Online. He got the green light: EverQuest was a go. Smedley hired McQuaid and Steve Clover, two ace game programmers who were slaving as corporate systems administrators. Within three years, the small San Diego skunk works grew into a team of 56 developers and one of Sony's most expensive game projects, with a development budget approaching $5 million.

    Haha great find!  That will put the Whole silly debate about EQ1 copying from UO finally to rest.

    Next, to what I already mentioned, they are completely different kind of games. Uncomparable.

  • Binny45Binny45 St John''s, NFPosts: 478Member Uncommon

    I miss old EQ.  Back in the day when you HAD to play nice with others.  Where your getting into a group wasn't just decided upon by level or gear, but more importantly your reputation.

    I miss where if someone did something very, VERY stupid, that it meant rerolling their character. 

    I miss the adventure, going to zones few knew about and even less people visited.

    I miss the GM events (there used to be LOADS) and the unique items and titles they'd bring.

    No other MMO has done what EQ1 did.  It was hard, it was fun and nothing can compare since then.

    image

  • AsamofAsamof La Canada, CAPosts: 738Member Uncommon
    The posts in here make my brain hurt so much. 
  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,665Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Asamof
    The posts in here make my brain hurt so much. 

    Only on MMORPG.com you can turn a discussion around a company trying to buyback its share into a thread about what cloned what. 

    Another funny fact. Bash WoW, nothing happens. Bash EQ1 and you get warned. 

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,215Member Uncommon
    It's a done deal. Activision-Blizzard closed it today. Shares are up 61% for the year.

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • WolfsheadWolfshead HallsbergPosts: 190Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Which officially means project Titan is WoW 2.0 because why would you spend that kind of money on a 10 year old game?

    The are start over with Titan the say so early this years and same of old Dev. team that work on WoW up to WOTLK went back to WoW and other have went on with other projects.

    Read more here

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/01/blizzards-titan-unlikely-to-be-subscription-based-mmo#

  • previnprevin Milwaukee, WIPosts: 41Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JeroKane

    Ehh what MMO? There weren't any other graphic 3D based MMO's at that time other than text based MUDs.

    Meridian 59 was before EQ1

  • RegnorRegnor Redmond, WAPosts: 27Member Uncommon

    EQ was the first graphic 3D D&D style MMO, that can't be questioned. Sure, there were other things that preceded and influenced it, and it was somewhat derivative by admission of its creators who were MUD fanatics and D&D players. But it was the first of its kind. WoW certainly was imitative and derivative of it. The point in this discussion is that Blizzard, while a great polisher and producer, is not the most original company in the world. That's ok, they still make fun games, but let's be honest. Even Diablo was not their idea. David Brevik brought it to them and they made it real time because that's what they did at the time RTS, and another franchise was born. And tell me, just what has WoW delivered in the way of innovation? Instanced dungeons were in Anarchy Online, EQ2 was quest driven. What, then, Pandas??

    So I join those who are skeptical that Blizzard has what it takes to deliver an original blockbuster. They're like Microsoft, they are huge and able to capitalize on trends created by others. That's not such a bad thing, it's just not very exciting.

    Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

  • AlomarAlomar Middle Earth, NJPosts: 450Member Uncommon
    Wish Titan hadn't been scrapped, was the only foreseeable redeeming quality from Blizzard.

    Dozens of MMO's, RTS's, FPS's, etc.

  • AvarixAvarix Chicago, ILPosts: 382Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Which officially means project Titan is WoW 2.0 because why would you spend that kind of money on a 10 year old game?

    ^^ I agree with this. Breaking away like they did only makes sense if they have something big in the pipeline, or at least a solid plan for it. Who knows, it could already be close to completion. 

     

    If they had already released Titan/WoW 2.0, the cost to do this would have have shot through the roof. I wouldn't be shocked if we read news soon about an upcoming release.

  • jesteralwaysjesteralways ChittagongPosts: 1,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by jesteralways

     

    Nope EQ1 was a direct copy of UO. Lots of gameplay material were directly copied and pasted in EQ1 from UO. Like the idea of MMO itself. like the idea of crafting, gathering, fighting mob. Idea of a seamless persistent world, idea of a constant online environment and so much more. You want to continue this "who copied who" nonsense further? 

    Who is talking nonsense here?

    The difference between UO and EQ1 are like night and day!

    You want to continue in trying to make "Apples" into "Oranges"?

     

    Looks like it was very hard for you to read what i wrote in those 3 lines. So i highlighted the key points in red. Hope you are not color blind. 

    i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

  • jesteralwaysjesteralways ChittagongPosts: 1,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by jesteralways

    Nope EQ1 was a direct copy of UO. Lots of gameplay material were directly copied and pasted in EQ1 from UO. Like the idea of MMO itself. like the idea of crafting, gathering, fighting mob. Idea of a seamless persistent world, idea of a constant online environment and so much more. You want to continue this "who copied who" nonsense further? 

    predating UO was Meridian 59, the first 3d mmo

    and as others have noted, MUDS

    Ohh so they were MMO? well i guess FIFA 98 online mode was the 1st mmo then. considering how having an online mode and a couple of thousand player playing in online lobby is considered MMO these days. if ever game that had  a multiplayer mode in game or internet connection required to play is now considered MMO why do we leave FIFA 98? I announce FIFA 98 to be the 1st MMO, maybe i will just start a blog about it and start gathering FIFA game fans who will also back me up on this. so do you think FIFA 98 then will become the 1st MMO?

    i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

  • SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon
    I thought Blizzard seperated from activision?

    Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

    A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

    or

    B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

    Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

  • HeretiqueHeretique Posts: 1,101Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I thought Blizzard seperated from activision?

    It's a "Kotick's World" after all.

    Originally posted by salsa41
    are you have problem ?

  • qombiqombi Unknown, LAPosts: 1,180Member
    Originally posted by Regnor

    EQ was the first graphic 3D D&D style MMO, that can't be questioned. Sure, there were other things that preceded and influenced it, and it was somewhat derivative by admission of its creators who were MUD fanatics and D&D players. But it was the first of its kind. WoW certainly was imitative and derivative of it. The point in this discussion is that Blizzard, while a great polisher and producer, is not the most original company in the world. That's ok, they still make fun games, but let's be honest. Even Diablo was not their idea. David Brevik brought it to them and they made it real time because that's what they did at the time RTS, and another franchise was born. And tell me, just what has WoW delivered in the way of innovation? Instanced dungeons were in Anarchy Online, EQ2 was quest driven. What, then, Pandas??

    So I join those who are skeptical that Blizzard has what it takes to deliver an original blockbuster. They're like Microsoft, they are huge and able to capitalize on trends created by others. That's not such a bad thing, it's just not very exciting.

    Everything created is always influenced by something in the past, be it little or a lot. That is life. End of discussion.

  • AusareAusare adamstown, MDPosts: 850Member
    Ofcourse wow is like WH. that is WH's fault as orcs vs humans was suppose to be a WH game.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways ChittagongPosts: 1,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by qombi
    Originally posted by Regnor

    EQ was the first graphic 3D D&D style MMO, that can't be questioned. Sure, there were other things that preceded and influenced it, and it was somewhat derivative by admission of its creators who were MUD fanatics and D&D players. But it was the first of its kind. WoW certainly was imitative and derivative of it. The point in this discussion is that Blizzard, while a great polisher and producer, is not the most original company in the world. That's ok, they still make fun games, but let's be honest. Even Diablo was not their idea. David Brevik brought it to them and they made it real time because that's what they did at the time RTS, and another franchise was born. And tell me, just what has WoW delivered in the way of innovation? Instanced dungeons were in Anarchy Online, EQ2 was quest driven. What, then, Pandas??

    So I join those who are skeptical that Blizzard has what it takes to deliver an original blockbuster. They're like Microsoft, they are huge and able to capitalize on trends created by others. That's not such a bad thing, it's just not very exciting.

    Everything created is always influenced by something in the past, be it little or a lot. That is life. End of discussion.

    +1000

    You nailed the discussion. 

    i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

  • usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Asamof
    The posts in here make my brain hurt so much. 

    Only on MMORPG.com you can turn a discussion around a company trying to buyback its share into a thread about what cloned what. 

    Another funny fact. Bash WoW, nothing happens. Bash EQ1 and you get warned. 

    Maybe SOE spends more on advertising here than Blizzard. Who knows?

  • warriorpoet7warriorpoet7 Riverside, CAPosts: 40Member

    You are wrong orionblack, technically ... the first MMOs would be MU* text based games ... then Sierra Online's The Realm and the game Meridian 59 (which is far closer to EQ than EQ is to UO).  EQ was the very first MASSIVE 3D MMO that utilized a heavy questing system. UO did not have that, and older games like M59 had it in very limited supply. UO's questing system, crafting etc ... DID NOT EXIST WHEN EQ LAUNCHED. At this time, UO was all about killing to collect, etc.

    EQ and DAoC I would pick as the grandfathers MMOs of today's game. Both games pioneering many aspects utilized today.

     
  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,933Member Uncommon
    The question I have is what sort of direction change will be implied if Acti-Blizzard becomes its own company.  If it's simply the matter of cutting financial ties, then I doubt the change will be much more than financial.

    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by jesteralways

     

    Nope EQ1 was a direct copy of UO. Lots of gameplay material were directly copied and pasted in EQ1 from UO. Like the idea of MMO itself. like the idea of crafting, gathering, fighting mob. Idea of a seamless persistent world, idea of a constant online environment and so much more. You want to continue this "who copied who" nonsense further? 

    Who is talking nonsense here?

    The difference between UO and EQ1 are like night and day!

    You want to continue in trying to make "Apples" into "Oranges"?

     

    Kind of odd discussion here, the announcement has really nothing to do with any game, it has to do with Activision/Blizzard getting out from under Vivendi control.  More power to them.

    As to the above discussion, EQ was more of an attempt at putting D&D on the computer.  EQ was for the people who like choices made for them with a rigid class structure and a level based system to show advancement.  UO was more for the free thinkers who liked the flexibility it provided and the actual thrill of danger.  Personally I really enjoyed the abilty in UO to change your skills on the fly to adjust to your play style.  Never got that from EQ ever.   EQ never matched the crafting of UO nor housing or trade possibilities.  

    You can go back and forth on the disadvantages and advantages of either, but they were really for a far different type of personality.  As to EQ borrowing things from UO, probably happened, but who cares, it is standard practice in the industry.

      Back to the topic, Vivendi was all about funding their other failures with Blizzard and Activision cash, at least with the buy out this will stop.

  • ComafComaf Chicago, ILPosts: 1,154Member Common
    Originally posted by Serenes

    I believe that UO is the granddad of modern MMOs.

    I also think its kinda stupid to say that Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy setting had anything to do with WoW that would be like saying, "OHHH GOD YOU USED A ELF YOU FUCKING RIPPED US OFF YOU CUNT." I'm sorry somethings are public domain and this is one of them.

    Oh man you couldn't display less knowledge of the conversation than by posting this.  It's so bad, that instead of flaming you with examples, why don't you take the time and actually research what most of us already know? 

    Wow - Vivindi/Blizzard wanted the Games Workshop license from day 1.  Games Workshop wanted a war oriented mmorpg (hence Warhammer, i.e., Failhammer a few years later).  So, WoW borrowed the greenskin orcs, and a ton of other bits.  They then took the User Interface from Asheron's Call 2, along with much of the art style, and then picked up Ultima's mmorpg project (can't recall name now) that sadly was canceled around the time WoW went into beta (if not before).

     

    So to sum it up:

    Wow =

    Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Battle RPG +  User Interface of Asheron's Call 2 and environmental appearance/art ideas + Bits of Ultima's 3-D mmorpg that was canceled.

     

    That should get you started.  Do the rest on your own. 

    image
  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Serenes

    I believe that UO is the granddad of modern MMOs.

    I also think its kinda stupid to say that Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy setting had anything to do with WoW that would be like saying, "OHHH GOD YOU USED A ELF YOU FUCKING RIPPED US OFF YOU CUNT." I'm sorry somethings are public domain and this is one of them.

    Oh man you couldn't display less knowledge of the conversation than by posting this.  It's so bad, that instead of flaming you with examples, why don't you take the time and actually research what most of us already know? 

    Wow - Vivindi/Blizzard wanted the Games Workshop license from day 1.  Games Workshop wanted a war oriented mmorpg (hence Warhammer, i.e., Failhammer a few years later).  So, WoW borrowed the greenskin orcs, and a ton of other bits.  They then took the User Interface from Asheron's Call 2, along with much of the art style, and then picked up Ultima's mmorpg project (can't recall name now) that sadly was canceled around the time WoW went into beta (if not before).

     

    So to sum it up:

    Wow =

    Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Battle RPG +  User Interface of Asheron's Call 2 and environmental appearance/art ideas + Bits of Ultima's 3-D mmorpg that was canceled.

     

    That should get you started.  Do the rest on your own. 

    Oh my, that is certainly a whimsical look at how Wow was developed.  When you get down to it, Blizzard hired some serious raiders from EQ who took their experiences from that game and came up with something simpler and easier to play.  They kept the classes simple instead of the menagerie that EQ had and made a very fun game.  Games workshop had absolutely zip to do with it.  Most of D&D and Warhammer was basically derived from Tolkien anyways.  

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ozmodan, EQ was more of an attempt at putting D&D on the computer.  EQ was for the people who like choices made for them with a rigid class structure and a level based system to show advancement. 

    agreed

    Lucan, Mayong, and others were D&D characters

     

    EverQuest Inspired By D&D Campaign
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=17392

     

2
Sign In or Register to comment.