Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV is more of a job than a game.

tuscaroratuscarora Member Posts: 52

I bought this game in a moment of weakness 8 days ago.  The first 2 days and 10 levels were interesting and I was still excited.  6 days later, I am finding it a chore to log on and considering dropping the game already.  So I was sitting here asking myself, what makes this game so disconcerting.

It starts with the small stuff, two of the three cities had teleporters that told you where you are going but in LL you have to pull the map up because if you want to get to the Marauders Guild, you actually teleport to the Coral Tower.  On the other maps, it was specific.  This was a small point, but one of the first problems I came across.

I leveled each class except pugilist to level 15 and it to only level 5.  There are not enough quests without using levequests which run out pretty quickly to level more than one class in an area.  The downside to this is there are 2-3 classes per starting zone.  Now, this is because I chose to play a single character, but the game is supposed to be designed around it.

Jobs are one dimensional.  Guardian is the tank, don't flame me warriors, but the end game healers hate healing you.  All else is Healer or DPS.  There are no real hybrid classes, but then again the game is designed for you to play all the classes on one character.

Chocobo.  Get to level 20, join a guild, grind for an hour, get a Chocobo.  Seriously?  Boring.

And you still hear the same BS in guilds about classes, rotation, etc...  My favorite statement made by one of the top players in the largest guild on my server was that his rotation was typically three keys.  Seriously, maxed out chars with relics hit three keys.  Again, Boring.

There is no incentive to play together at lower levels, so the MMO part is dead at early game. 

The upside, the graphics are pretty and you can play all the classes on the same character. 

I guess I just convinced myself to uninstall.  $30 down the drain, not that it will break me.  FFXIV and MMORPG.com sold me based on its high rating and advertisement campaign online.  I should not have been fooled so easily. 

To those who enjoy the game, more best wishes to you all. 

For the record, this is my 2 cents on FFXIV.  If you don't like my opinion, feel free to sue me.

Comments

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I would go into a long drawn out post point by point throwing my own opinions back, but they are just that. Opinions. But i will say it seems like you were TRYING to find reasons to not like the game. Especially with the small issues that have nothing to do with gameplay. Try to look past your own doubts and play further then level 15 before you judge a game so harshly.
  • arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129

There are no mmos on the market that could retain a player for a longer period of time. I'll probably get shot for a statement like this, but... Give any new tittle (that's been released in NA/EU in the past ~4-6) half a year to a year, and you see only 10-20% of is initial population remains after that period.

MMO's arent the games at this day anymore, I've posted this millions of times and I'll post it again, at the end of the day every new mmo that came out and will come out, will be the same only with new skins. Kill this, gather this, PVP and loot.

Thats why the most populated games there are today, are the old ones, the ones that combined the most of these features into one, and presented it to the users who have not yet experienced anything like this prior and nostalgia keeps them from leaving for a newer tittle. And if you didn't like that, nothing after that will be good enough, atleast until you realise its the same MMO with a pimped skin pack.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by tuscarora

I leveled each class except pugilist to level 15 and it to only level 5.

Well I can see how it became boring to you. You've run the same zones over and over again.

Maybe you should have tried to lv up 2 or 3 classes at most in the beginning, one of them being a crafter to spice it up, actually experience some dungeons by yourself. If you feel like lv up another class then you revisit the old areas and dungeons which after a bit of time would have a fresh feeling to them. 

You basically just stuck with  the starter zone for days.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I tend to agree with the OP.

I hit lvl 50 on my pug/monk and it was a complete chore to farm the same dungeon 76 times to get a deceent set of armor in order to farm the next dungeon 76 more times.

The story was fun, and that's what kept me hooked until 50, but you gotta be kidding me if you think I'm going to level all classes to 50 doing the same generic quest or FATE farming, which was downright terrible.  It became a job to find a group, put up with the asshats yelling at the noobs in the lvl 50 newb dungeons, then racing through for you 100 stones.  Rinse, repeat.

• PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    Nothing you said makes the game sound like a job. Its an MMO much like every other traditional MMO out there in its early days. And the bit about the chocobo was't even close to the experience I had. Mounts in this game and the quest to get it were way more meaningful to me than any other MMO I've played. Poorly written post in my opinion.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I bought this game in a moment of weakness 8 days ago.  The first 2 days and 10 levels were interesting and I was still excited.  6 days later, I am finding it a chore to log on and considering dropping the game already.  So I was sitting here asking myself, what makes this game so disconcerting.

It starts with the small stuff, two of the three cities had teleporters that told you where you are going but in LL you have to pull the map up because if you want to get to the Marauders Guild, you actually teleport to the Coral Tower.  On the other maps, it was specific.  This was a small point, but one of the first problems I came across.

I leveled each class except pugilist to level 15 and it to only level 5.  There are not enough quests without using levequests which run out pretty quickly to level more than one class in an area.  The downside to this is there are 2-3 classes per starting zone.  Now, this is because I chose to play a single character, but the game is supposed to be designed around it.

Jobs are one dimensional.  Guardian is the tank, don't flame me warriors, but the end game healers hate healing you.  All else is Healer or DPS.  There are no real hybrid classes, but then again the game is designed for you to play all the classes on one character.

Chocobo.  Get to level 20, join a guild, grind for an hour, get a Chocobo.  Seriously?  Boring.

And you still hear the same BS in guilds about classes, rotation, etc...  My favorite statement made by one of the top players in the largest guild on my server was that his rotation was typically three keys.  Seriously, maxed out chars with relics hit three keys.  Again, Boring.

There is no incentive to play together at lower levels, so the MMO part is dead at early game. 

The upside, the graphics are pretty and you can play all the classes on the same character. 

I guess I just convinced myself to uninstall.  $30 down the drain, not that it will break me.  FFXIV and MMORPG.com sold me based on its high rating and advertisement campaign online.  I should not have been fooled so easily. 

For the record, this is my 2 cents on FFXIV.  If you don't like my opinion, feel free to sue me.

Mostly minor issues.

But OK, fine, for some that might be game breaking and I can accept that. But...........

You made a long winded post under a subject title as to how this game is a job and not a game.

You made no statements to back up your subject title.

Aside from that, you will find this game is still very popular and very successful. While the game is not everyone's cup of tea. The high ratings are justified. It's just to bad you didn't find a reason for that yourself.

halfmystic
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Wait. So all you do is grind dungeons 100 times as endgame content ?  It sounds troubling...
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I played the original incarnation of this game for about a month.  I hated the levelquest system which I understand makes a return in this game.  Perhaps, this is the FF franchise and I don't get it, but levequests are horrible in my opinion.  No complaints about the look of the world. Maybe the best looking MMO out there or at least in the running for the best, although the original was great also.  I know people love the music of FF and even have youtube videos playing it on piano. When I first played FF XIV I felt like I was stuck in an elevator. Elevator music is the first thing I thought. It is not exactly bad but feel something with a bit more excitement maybe?   But, of course, this is highly personal.   In the end the music would not keep me from playing anway.  

I do love having one character who can do it all. I am not alt type player and years ago I played Runescape and found myself searching for a game that would allow my one character to do it all.  FF XIV , in my mind, got this part right. 

Problem is,  nothing else in this game screams out "pay 15 a month to play me.  If this was a f2p or b2p game I would dip my toes in here occassionally, but I just can't see paying 15 a month to play a game like this. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I haven't played 2.0, but i played the original....and i'm still scratching my head about how people consider this final fantasy..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

I haven't played 2.0, but i played the original....and i'm still scratching my head about how people consider this final fantasy..

Thats because you haven't played 2.0...

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

it's a job because you make it one.

Play for fun, instead of grinding/wanting to progress as fast as possible....take regular breaks, dont look at others who level faster.....then this game is much more fun.

halfmystic

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Wow if that is the state of gamer's today,that is really pathetic.The OP was calling it a concern because he had to pull up a map ,my god,ya all of 5 seconds that must really be concerning.Just imagine NO MAP and no teleporting,then what crisis 911?

I really don't know what started all this new wave of real lazy gamer's that actually NEED hand holding,is this the obvious difference between old school and new school,or just SOME people?

I have ALWAYS been a patient person,i guess part of the reason is after many years you learn that rushing anything causes mistakes and problems.

Getting a chocobo is boring,hmm NEW to gaming??How about just buy a mount is that much more exciting?

The sad part is it really sounds like a lot of petty whining and nothing close to an actual concern.

Ok yes the solo part of the game is as mentioned a detriment to the term MMO,i have been saying that for years,but guess what,name ONE game that does it better or different??The ONLY game that truly "WAS" a MMO was FFXI but even that game has changed for the worse.Since 65% of the total MMO players were in Wow at the same time meaning many more had played it at some point,and being that game is solo quest fest,you are talking probably 90% of the gamer base has enjoyed what the OP calls "boring".Well i guess boring is in then?

So even if the OP made some sense,then what is the alternative,name one game that changes that "boring" feeling for something really exciting and that LASTS over a MMO phase?I have played almost every single AAA and AA game,i have seen almost everything,there is no radical change from game to game,they are all pretty much the same.

So the logical response would be the OP does not belong in MMORPG's,perhaps fps's are his thing,i really don't know i am not a mind reader,but it was an annoying read because i know  the difference between "concerns" and whining.Yes too much solo in an MMO is a concern,but some of that was whining.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

How is it not?

Although most Final Fantasy installments are stand-alone stories with different settings and main characters, they feature identical elements that define the franchise. Recurring elements include plot themes, character names, and game mechanics. Plots center on a group of heroes battling a great evil while exploring the characters' internal struggles and relationships. Character names are frequently derived from the history, languages, and mythologies of cultures worldwide.

Plot theme - check

character names - check

recurring enemies - check

plot based on group of heroes battling great evil - check 

internal struggles - check

Hmmm seems like a final fantasy to me

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Must agree with the OP i got to high 30s by that point I'd just lost the will to live and uninstalled, except for the graphics there's just to many things I really don't like about the game. But each to there own, I'm sure some people still like this game.
    Originally posted by Tsuru

How is it not?

Although most Final Fantasy installments are stand-alone stories with different settings and main characters, they feature identical elements that define the franchise. Recurring elements include plot themes, character names, and game mechanics. Plots center on a group of heroes battling a great evil while exploring the characters' internal struggles and relationships. Character names are frequently derived from the history, languages, and mythologies of cultures worldwide.

Plot theme - check

character names - check

recurring enemies - check

plot based on group of heroes battling great evil - check 

internal struggles - check

Hmmm seems like a final fantasy to me

Yeah for real. They put tons of iconic FF elements in 2.0. Like LOTS of them. And more to come I'm sure.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Pewpsockemz

Thats because you haven't played 2.0...

IKR?

I never learned to speak a foreign language, and I'm still scratching my head as to what they are saying.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

..what? That's like saying you've never eaten at a certain pizza place, but recommend it to people.

If you haven't played 2.0, then you really haven't even played the game. This game is the most 'Final-Fantasy-ish' one since FFIX. I'm not going to argue about FFX-XII (don't like them, but tastes vary), but FFXIV is far more deserving of being called an FF game than FFXIII. At least in XIV the story makes sense...

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Starting to think the OP is right. At 1st it was great fun, the graphics were great, the shiny's all shined, and things were good.

Then you get to level 30(ish) where crafting becomes painful, and all to ever run into is a constant zerg of PS3 brats doing fates "faster! FASTER!!!".

Everyone claims the endgame is great fun, I wouldn't know, I never got that far (yet?). But there isn't much point pressing ahead then it's a journey of pain, hardship and sorrow.

Also I won't even go into some of the weird Asian ways of thinking... Mechs in a fantasy game and Thongs on every female for miles.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

Starting to think the OP is right. At 1st it was great fun, the graphics were great, the shiny's all shined, and things were good.

Then you get to level 30(ish) where crafting becomes painful, and all to ever run into is a constant zerg of PS3 brats doing fates "faster! FASTER!!!".

Everyone claims the endgame is great fun, I wouldn't know, I never got that far (yet?). But there isn't much point pressing ahead then it's a journey of pain, hardship and sorrow.

Also I won't even go into some of the weird Asian ways of thinking... Mechs in a fantasy game and Thongs on every female for miles.

Most are enjoying the leveling process and not the end game. Not sure what is painful about crafting for you, if you're stuck do some levequests.

As for the mechs, they've been part of FF since the early 90s. Not sure about the thong thing, I rarely see it except in town and even then it isn't many.

Yeah but the mech looks daft (imo) and doesn't fit in, then again the story is so screwy it hardly matters.

The crafting side of things is not so much "stuck" as it is "long and drawn out", run in a circle for 2 hours hitting rocks or trees, while collecting more mats than you will use (I won't go into selling them, the AH is the worst one in a MMO yet, and GW2s was bad (pricewise)), so not "stuck" but "bored", and lvles is their way of saying "We can't be arsed to add quests or things to do... Here! Repeat this chore over and over! Good boy!".

Not so many Thongs perse, but risky gear would be a better word. Take for example Yda (or whatever her name is in the main story), she has the bigger camal toe than a... than a camel! :P

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82
    my only complaint is that crafting makes my small reptilian brain hurt.  not because its particularly challenging but because trying to level each of the crafts requires mats from others, and in order to be time and money efficient to max profit and minimize loss while crafting you need to kind of plan ahead of what mats you will have and where you will go to get them, what you will get there etc etc, its rather challenging but i like it a lot.
    Originally posted by obsolete5
    my only complaint is that crafting makes my small reptilian brain hurt.  not because its particularly challenging but because trying to level each of the crafts requires mats from others, and in order to be time and money efficient to max profit and minimize loss while crafting you need to kind of plan ahead of what mats you will have and where you will go to get them, what you will get there etc etc, its rather challenging but i like it a lot.

Indeed, I have 2 banks full to the gills (boom boom) with mats just in case something else uses them later on.

Two banks won't be enough. lol :)

• p3rf3ctgam3rp3rf3ctgam3r Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

As a PS3 (soon to be PS4) gamer I take exception to your little dig on console players.  Enough with the PC Elitest attitude.  I've played EQ (PC), EQII (PC), EQOA and EQOA:Frontiers (PS2), Aion (PC), FFXI (PC and PS2), DCUO (PS3) and now FFXIV (PS3) and I think I can speak for a lot of console gamers and tell you we understand MMO's. 

Of all the people I see (and seeen) using Fates to level up as fast as possible I'd say the overwhelming majority are on PC.  I can just take a sample from my own guild and we had many several people who were among the 1st to reach 50 and they are PC gamers who used Fates to level as quickly as possible.

I for one found FATEs boring, less rearding and the thought that those who are new to MMO's are using FATES to level and not really learn their job/role is painful.  Good thing FFXIV eventually makes them learn their role in dungeons required for progression.

Why would you think PS3 players are kids.  I don't have the link but the avg. age of PS3 players at one point was 25 to 35.  I'm older than that myself.  Point is, the system we play on does not make the player.  People who like to Zerg and find the easiest way to get to the end level and max gear are going to do that no matter what system they play on.   People who want to really experience all the game has to offer will do just that, regardless of platform.

[mod edit]

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

This is just wrong.  Quests don't run out until around level 40 unless you SKIP content.

If you are using hunting logs and FATES as you use your storyline quests, you'll last almost the entire game.  You definitely don't run out that early.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

The first sentence explains it all. No point to read the rest.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

I agree with the OP's opinions.