Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA moderators allow this but not the word carebear

Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

One word that isnt allowed over at SotA website is the word carebear. That is a forbidden word to use when describing the PvE players. Ridicolous to say the least.

And here is a good example of what moderators at SotA allow when it comes to carebears describing the PvP players that enjoy non-consensual PvP and i quote -

" I know of (that is of, not personally) MILLIONS who have managed to RP without any form of PvP They came from before a time of Computer RPG's and they existed for a couple of decades AFTER CRPGs were invented....and they still exist today. I will allow that people who wish consensual PvP have a legitimate right to that style, however I will maintain and studies have been done to indicate that those who prefer non consensual PvP are frequently exhibiting sociopathic tendencies....and may in fact need help. Also Anger Management classes may be of use to some of those individuals. " end qoute.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-glass-is-half-empty-a-look-inside-why-people-are-opposed-to-open-pvp-and-full-loot.3140/page-8#post-59484

This character named magiK on the SotA forums is allowed to put all these players together and call them sick people. Players that indeed enjoy a risk vs reward game with consequences should seek help cause they just are'nt not well. 

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    I like the use of the word carebear.  Because once i see it I know that the post is worthless and to not even bother reading it anymore.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by syriinx
    I like the use of the word carebear.  Because once i see it I know that the post is worthless and to not even bother reading it anymore.

So why did you read this then?

Do you also like it when players that enjoy non-consensual PvP are described as sociopaths that need medical help?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Are you saying a carebear hurt your feelings?  
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Are you saying a carebear hurt your feelings?  

Nah i dont take it personal but i'm surpriced that the moderators over at SotA allow a carebear to call others mentally sick cause they enjoy a different playstyle.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    its their forums so they have their rules. If they want to prohibit the word carebear and completely ignore comments like the quote from that player its their own problem. At least you should be able to notice that  the guy you are quoting is just trying to feel good with himself by saying such absurd things. Society wants people to believe that if you act in a certain way you may need professional help and people believe that crap.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    its their forums so they have their rules. If they want to prohibit the word carebear and completely ignore comments like the quote from that player its their own problem. At least you should be able to notice that  the guy you are quoting is just trying to feel good with himself by saying such absurd things. Society wants people to believe that if you act in a certain way you may need professional help and people believe that crap.

Yep, aint nothing wrong with being a murderer, pedophile , mugger , cannibal  etc. Nope, those people don't need help at all.

Derp.

This could end up being very interesting.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Good for them, maybe I should take a closer look at this game, perhaps it will have the right kind of moderators to keep the problematic players in check.

Thanks OP, new game to add to my radar.

• Expl0rerExpl0rer Member UncommonPosts: 8
    "Carebear" has the quality of trademark and copyright, so Shroud of the Avatar naturally needs to be cautious about letting people use it.  Once I used the word "twink" in an innocent US government email message, as the technical term for a low-level character on which resources are lavished, and the entire message was blocked because the word was on an obscene word prohibition list.  Such is business in the modern world!
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Obviously they prefer a civil discussion of gameplay ideas so not allowing it makes sense. People who love to pepper their posts with "carebear"  simply are trying to stir trouble and ignite a fight.  You love PvP, fine!  Understand there are many who don't and wish only to PvE.   Name calling is not going to change any of that. 
    Originally posted by Nevulus

Good for them, maybe I should take a closer look at this game, perhaps it will have the right kind of moderators to keep the problematic players in check.

Thanks OP, new game to add to my radar.

So you like it when players with a different playstyle are called mentally sick? 

Originally posted by flizzer
    Obviously they prefer a civil discussion of gameplay ideas so not allowing it makes sense. People who love to pepper their posts with "carebear"  simply are trying to stir trouble and ignite a fight.  You love PvP, fine!  Understand there are many who don't and wish only to PvE.   Name calling is not going to change any of that. 

But calling players that enjoy a different playstyle mentally sick is ok?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Are you concerned it might be an accurate assertion?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Expl0rer
    "Carebear" has the quality of trademark and copyright, so Shroud of the Avatar naturally needs to be cautious about letting people use it.  Once I used the word "twink" in an innocent US government email message, as the technical term for a low-level character on which resources are lavished, and the entire message was blocked because the word was on an obscene word prohibition list.  Such is business in the modern world!

So why am i allowed to use it over here then?

You're funny.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Are you concerned it might be an accurate assertion?

Point with the thread is that moderators over at SotA are biased. They have different rulesets when they handle PvE or PvP players. Corrupt might be a good word for it. They allow PvE players calling players that are in favor of non-consensual PvP for mentally sick but disallow a common word as carebear.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    maybe I should read threads with 'carebear' in them more often, this thread is pretty hilarious.
    maybe I should read threads with 'carebear' in them more often, this thread is pretty hilarious.

Yeah calling players with a different playstyle mentally insane isnt something moderators should care about. 

It is interesting to see how the carebears defend a character like this MagiK as long as he is on the carebear side, hypocrits.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Aragon100

Yeah calling players with a different playstyle mentally insane isnt something moderators should care about. 

It is interesting to see how the carebears defend a character like this MagiK as long as he is on the carebear side, hypocrits.

You have given no reason for posters to come to the defence of your thread.

You lambast the moderators for allowing "Sociapathic Tendencies" to be used yet the word "Carebear" is far more recognisable to posters as a demeaning label.

Each of your responses has then taken the offending quote and demonised it even further, you have changed "Sociapathic Tendencies" to "Mentally Insane" aswell as other incorrect meanings for "Sociapaths".

Perhaps you would be better off airing your grievances with the moderators on that forum and explain that you feel labelled as an inferior player, perhaps then they may take you seriously when they realise this has hurt your feelings.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Sticks and stones will break my bones, but a carebear just butthurt me? ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

"Carebear" is used as an insult. There is no other use of the word.

The post quoted in the OP may or may not have information to backup what they are saying. However, whether they do or not, their post can be proven either factual or false.

The difference is that "carebear", as an insult can't be either true or false. The statement quoted in the OP can be proven either true or false, and therefor validated or invalidated.

Where is this post of which the OP speaks? It's not at the link they've posted.

There is something funny in this thread, and the hurt feelings of the pro-PvP people who post threads like this.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by AwDiddums

You have given no reason for posters to come to the defence of your thread.

You lambast the moderators for allowing "Sociapathic Tendencies" to be used yet the word "Carebear" is far more recognisable to posters as a demeaning label.

Each of your responses has then taken the offending quote and demonised it even further, you have changed "Sociapathic Tendencies" to "Mentally Insane" aswell as other incorrect meanings for "Sociapaths".

Perhaps you would be better off airing your grievances with the moderators on that forum and explain that you feel labelled as an inferior player, perhaps then they may take you seriously when they realise this has hurt your feelings.

Sociopathic behaviour is a mental disease and is far worse then calling someone a carebear.

I dont expect all carebears to defend this thread, point is proven though that carebears are just as bad as the non-consensual PvP player when they not disapprove that calling players of a different playstyle mentally disturbed.

You PvE players are just a bunch of hypocrits that turn your cape the wind blows, pathetic.

Carebear is a way tamer expression then the one MagiK used and it describes the PvE players playstyle very well.

Originally posted by lizardbones

"Carebear" is used as an insult. There is no other use of the word.

The post quoted in the OP may or may not have information to backup what they are saying. However, whether they do or not, their post can be proven either factual or false.

The difference is that "carebear", as an insult can't be either true or false. The statement quoted in the OP can be proven either true or false, and therefor validated or invalidated.

Where is this post of which the OP speaks? It's not at the link they've posted.

There is something funny in this thread, and the hurt feelings of the pro-PvP people who post threads like this.

Carebear describes very well the playstyle of a PvE player.

Sociopathic behavior and being fond of risk vs reward games and consequences is not the same. 

The post is still there.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

WARNING: This post got a little "Ranty"

TLDR; Move along, if you cannot be bothered to read, this post is not for you.

I am sorry, but since when is non-consensual PVP "Risk vs. Reward" Gameplay. I would like to point out that Non-Consensual implies ganking. Though a game allowing FFA PVP via PVP servers or whatever, the PVP is inherently consensual as you agree to said PVP by playing.

I think the bigger issue here is allowing ONLY the one style of play. People that prefer co-operative play are not necessarily "Care-Bears", they might just prefer to socialize.

Now to be fair, I do understand your point OP. However I would also like the point out the aggresive nature, and all encompassing statements that are frequently seen by the "Hardcore PvP" crowd. The overwhelming interest to make someone else suffer for your own enjoyment Aka Ganking, truely falls under a Sociopathic tendancy, this behavior is not tolerated in real life, and when you think about it, neither is the smack talking that takes place in most PVP enviroments.

I am not a Carebear, I enjoy pvping when I am in the mood for it. I play games like EvE and Darkfall, and play on PvP Servers when they are around. But I also truly enjoy a cooperative experience as well. And I do hope that someday a PVP game can prove to me that it has a decent community, because to be honest I have found the most PVP centric games attract the scum of the MMO Communities.

I would also like to understand why the term carebear stands to describe a PvE player? Do you not believe that theirs is a valid playstyle as well, without feeling the need to insult us/them. Just because someone enjoys a PvE experience, and would like to be immersed in lore. In truth, much of the reason I enjoy a PvE experience is for story, lore, and imagination... to get lost in a writers mind. Like reading a good book. And sometimes, just sometimes, it is really fun to partake in a particular fantasy with some friends, or soon to be friends. Sitting and insulting someone for this, simply emphasises what many people HATE about a PvP community, and for an example just take a look at how people from RP Communities are treated by non RP players.

This is my Opinion, and my opinion only. I am not presenting this as fact, only as personal experience.

Wow this went a lot longer than I wanted.... sorry.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I think the difference is calling somebody a carebear is namecalling, stating that many in the psychological field believe that some people who enjoy non-consensual PvP are likely to have sociopathic tendencies is not. It is stating an actual fact (not that they are sociopaths or not, but rather that the psychological community sees a trend in the mental behaviors of people who do).

I would contend that when you hear the ranting and slamming keyboards and throwing things (former roommates)or conversely their perverse joy of slaughtering unarmed or extremely underlevelled or geared people and their liking it to killing children that perhaps some of those people do need help. Sure not everyone who enjoys violently ganking the innocent is suffering mental trauma, but probably a good number could use counselling.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones "Carebear" is used as an insult. There is no other use of the word. The post quoted in the OP may or may not have information to backup what they are saying. However, whether they do or not, their post can be proven either factual or false. The difference is that "carebear", as an insult can't be either true or false. The statement quoted in the OP can be proven either true or false, and therefor validated or invalidated. ** Where is this post of which the OP speaks? It's not at the link they've posted. ** There is something funny in this thread, and the hurt feelings of the pro-PvP people who post threads like this.
    Carebear describes very well the playstyle of a PvE player.

Sociopathic behavior and being fond of risk vs reward games and consequences is not the same. 

The post is still there.

Doesn't matter whether "carebear" can be used to describe a play style. It's used as an insult. That's why it's not allowed. It's not something that even allows for discussion, much less something that would cause further discussion.

You read what the poster stated. They stated something that could be shown true or false. If there were studies that showed that their statement was true, they could have been found. If no such studies existed, the post could be proven to be a lie. In either case, the post could be discussed.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

One is calling a large group of players by a (now) derogatory term.

The other is using several sentences to point out the existence of studies (though references should be linked) that seems to indicate that there is negative psychological attributes associated with another group of players.

He also states that he essentially agrees with the studies and suggests a possible means of help.

Two different things, and even if SotA moderators don't like that kind of talk, it's harder to quickly spot with simple keyword filter and isn't calling them by a derogatory term. 

I have to wonder, are you making such a huge fuss out of it because you feel it is directed at you personally? And also, it does seem as though an anger management class might actually help some of them. Though I don't think most of them are angry, I just think many of them tend to be a-holes and the like, and the last time I checked, no simple class will help moderate that kind of anti-social activity. ;)

Oh, and if you're wondering, consistently calling a group of people by derogatory terms (aka, insults), is itself an anti-social behavior and is normally discouraged.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

This discussion has been closed.