Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No free world open PvP, no player looting, no sandbox world, tab aiming = GUARANTEE OF FAILURE

Here's what the devs are thinking:

"Hmmm...there are so many theme park, carebare, levelling fantasy MMOs out there already...we know...LET'S MAKE ANOTHER ONE"

One really has to laugh.

TES is about going out there in the wild and killing stuff. TES is about manual aiming, blocking and slashing. TES is about free roaming. TES is about killing anyone and looting them.

TES isn't about shiny WoW clone sh**.

Just another carebare game...move along, nothing to see here.

Keep on rockin'!image

Comments

• WhitestepWhitestep Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Tab aiming? really? that's all? why they don't do the combat system like it was in skyrim.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

So is your claim

a) No game can succeed unless it has at least on of the features you listed, or

b) Elder Scrolls IP will make the game worse, and because of that it's certain to fail where other games have succeeded

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Despite i m not playing it anymore, i can see the reason that after 10 years, with so many newer games, WoW remains the king. Hoping for EQ Next...
  • KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Whitestep Tab aiming? really? that's all? why they don't do the combat system like it was in skyrim.
    Because they hate you.

a) No game can succeed unless it has at least on of the features you listed, or
    b) Elder Scrolls IP will make the game worse, and because of that it's certain to fail where other games have succeeded
    No, I mean there are too many games out there WITHOUT those features, so making another clone is action based on insufficient intelligence.

Keep on rockin'!image

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

This game exists because of the success of skyrim.

It will be nothing like skyrim.

It will fail after the initial hype because there is no reason to play it because there is nothing that will make it special enough to play.

They really need to stop making new MMOS until they have the courage to step outside the box.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

It's kind of amusing to watch these thread titles become more blatantly temper-tantromish.

Yeah, open world PvP games sure do great.

And has there ever been a successful game that didn't have player looting?

Tab aiming? Pffft! When has that ever been in a successful game?

/rollseyes

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

UO did very great. EVE does very great. Minecraft does very great (hurr what are pvp anarchy servers).

Tab aiming? Pffft! When has that ever been in a successful game?
    It's laziness and skillessness of devs. WoW would have been much more fun if all aiming was manual. So would other games. Why hasn't this been implemented? Lag, not enough skill, too complicated. But it's dumb to say it wouldn't make games better and more immersive.

Mortal Online sounds great on paper, but sloppy programming failed the game.
    Darkfall didn't fail, it actually succeeded, has grown, released updates, released overhaul. It's a pretty good pvp game, but still not perfect.

Keep on rockin'!image

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Komandor

Here's what the devs are thinking:

"Hmmm...there are so many theme park, carebare, levelling fantasy MMOs out there already...we know...LET'S MAKE ANOTHER ONE"

One really has to laugh.

TES is about going out there in the wild and killing stuff. TES is about manual aiming, blocking and slashing. TES is about free roaming. TES is about killing anyone and looting them.

TES isn't about shiny WoW clone sh**.

What are you using to judge that TES will be the abject failure that you feel it will become once released, by what standards are you comparing this game to to prove your conclusions.

Have you just pulled this theory from the ether or do you have proof that a FFA PvP MMO will become a success.

Just as WoW is a one off to the PvE world, so to is EVE to the PvP world. Others have tried to emulate their success and have come up short, both PvE and PvP MMO's are just not garnering the numbers that these 2 games have been able to achieve and even EVE does not share the amazing success that WoW had attained at it's pinnacle.

So again I ask by what standards of FFA PVP gaming are you thinking will make TES more of a success than if it was aimed at a more balanced audience of both PvE and PvP gameplay.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Every time I play Skyrim I think, "I wish I could play with friends". No matter what happens, if I can play an ES game with a friend, they will have succeeded. Why does this site and it's fans pick things to death, and doom them to failure before they even come out?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Lol, i just love how OP roaming forums and randomly posting this "Open PvP, full loot or burn in hell!" threads like this one.
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Every time I play Skyrim I think, "I wish I could play with friends". No matter what happens, if I can play an ES game with a friend, they will have succeeded. Why does this site and it's fans pick things to death, and doom them to failure before they even come out?

Maybe because some people have the ability to see the potential problems before they happen, instead of riding the hype train and being all happy-dandy until the reality hits. This game is about 60% clone-MMO and 40% TES at this point. If you actually think about the stuff that they have revealed, you'll realize that most of the things that defined the single player experience have been standardized according to the MMO traditions.

I don't recall anyone complaining that they have to manually aim their bow in single player TES. Why are they putting in a soft-lock for TESO? If you are an archer and you let a melee user get up close to you, it's your own fault for not using a better position and you deserve to die. This artificial balancing of two completely different playstyles is just disgusting.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by crasset15
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Maybe because some people have the ability to see the potential problems before they happen, instead of riding the hype train and being all happy-dandy until the reality hits. This game is about 60% clone-MMO and 40% TES at this point. If you actually think about the stuff that they have revealed, you'll realize that most of the things that defined the single player experience have been standardized according to the MMO traditions.

Until the game comes out and I have played it I will not label it. The topic is the OPs personal opinion and speculation. Some people have even gone as far as making up statistics to prove their point. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• rainmournrainmourn Member UncommonPosts: 38

Were you going for longest thread title?

These carebears and their deep pockets stitched into their little furry suits--how can the companies even think of pandering to their casual needs and pacifist leanings?!

No open PVP, no player looting...sign me up.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

One really has to laugh.

Define failure. Every current mmo has at least 250k of satisfied player base, and I am talking about the worst of the worst. If that is failure, then what is Ultima Online with player base hanging around 100k players through all those years? A super failure?

Why don't you just move along then? You seem pretty concerned just by writing here.

No, I mean there are too many games out there WITHOUT those features, so making another clone is action based on insufficient intelligence.
    I don't know if it is even possible to sound more arogant than you sound right now. To suggest that every developer doing recent games is less intelligent than you, while you show to have completely no knowledge about the industry or even about the way any company in any industry works.

UO did very great. EVE does very great. Minecraft does very great (hurr what are pvp anarchy servers).
    It's laziness and skillessness of devs. WoW would have been much more fun if all aiming was manual. So would other games. Why hasn't this been implemented? Lag, not enough skill, too complicated. But it's dumb to say it wouldn't make games better and more immersive.

Define doing great? Ultima had no competition at it's time so it managed to gather some faithful players and earn some money. Big deal. Compared to todays mmo's that need to win over market that has hundreds of titles, who is doing great? UO had freaking monopoly, was one of the first experiences of this type, and had many years to gather players. By todays standards it did well below average. EvE is the only decent space mmo, so it also has no competition. If you like space and mmo, EvE is one of few games you can play, of course it will have solid player base. Those examples are just worst possible.

And no, developers are not stupid and unskilled, you show arogance and complete lack of knowledge about the topic in every sentence you make, and you offend people that are dedicated to make a freaking game for you.

Your type of games belongs to niche, a small group of players like you. Kickstarter projects try to satisfy this group, but they fail, because this group is not big enough to support even cheap indie projects. It is time to accept that and move along, like you said yourself. Or keep playing UO.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

This problem is present in most modern MMOs - they don't let the players deal with the downsides of their chosen class, but instead try to do it for them with artificial systems.

archer - slow rate of fire, manual aim, should take some skill, arrows aren't infinite

melee - slower movement speed due to armor, need to use cover to counter mages/rangers

rogue - should take "real" stealth gameplay instead of using skills like cloak etc.

instead we get - everyone moves with the same speed, tab target archery/magery with homing projectiles, "stealth" where positioning is irrelevant, just pop your cloak skill and run out in the open. I can't be the only one who finds this a yawnfest.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Oh well, it's guaranteed now. Time for them to pack and and send the staff home I guess.

... says yet another deluded digital tough guy who thinks he has a grasp on the pulse of the industry and what people really, truly, deep inside,  want to play... just a soon as they stop drinking all that estrogen-laced milk image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Sadly I think TESO will fail

The hype and game mechanics reminds me of GW2

TESO will be another cash grab, and that bums me out.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

TES is about killing anyone and looting them.

Is it really?

Last I checked no one else was in my TES games. They may have missed the memo regarding open PvP in all the non-MMO versions (which is all of them).

And TES isn't even about combat - it's about exploration and interaction with the world and its inhabitants. TES combat has routinely been subpar, put that combat style in a less thought out and open world, and no one would want to play it.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I don't plan to play any PvP in ESO.

I am for adventure and group cooperative PvE content.

If it was FFA full loot PvP, I won't even consider this game, lots of people don't care about PvP (sorry to break it to you OP)

If this game fails will be because its PvE is shallow and WoWish (not Skyrim like), not because PvP issues.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427
    sounds right
  • MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Really....think I have seen this thread on every discussion for every game on this site.  Alot of games these days fail. Don't have much to do with not being able to gank every noob. Usually several other reasons why a game fails.

And TES was not  bout going out and killing entire towns while in god mode. It was more of the exploring and interaction with the world. 

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I am genuinely curious where the tab targeting is coming from.  When I played the game at convention it was aim to target with tab to soft lock onto a mob so you could continue to focus on one specific mob in a crowd.  The targeting was more like ES than an MMO.  Anyone got any info on this?

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I was never excited about this game because it always smelled like a money grab. Throw out the same game we've played for years now only leveraging a different IP.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

UO did great because it was the only MMORPG worth playing when it was at its peak.  Eve is a niche title.  And Minecraft isn't an MMORPG.  

And if TESO had the sub numbers that UO did and EVE currently do, it would be labelled an unmitigated failure as well.  

Games with open world PVP and player looting can only ever hope to become niche games at best.  The majority of players don't want to deal with that shit and the type of player that game attracts.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Cause totally, FF14 was like that and totally flopped...

Yeah... no.

While i feel it will hurt the game greatly if it DOES play the way the OP is trying to say for the sake that is elder scrolls, it wouldn't likely be enough to kill it off. As much as people say they don't want a game like it, they sure do enjoy it and for good reason. Games don't need that stuff to have fun.  

Again, it might not be the best thing in emphasizing the Elder Scrolls franchise (I do feel it should represent the Single player game better) but thinking the way the OP does just kind of shows a sense of being blind and close minded, something that in a way I pitty for that they would close their eyes from anything good in some silly obsession with a game having to be an exact way to 'fit their needs'.

This discussion has been closed.