Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should crafters be able to make best equipment in game?

gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
Right now crafters can only make the equivalent of darklight or 2nd best equipment set in the game. mythology and allagan gear is only obtainable through end game dungeon tokens or dungeon drops. Should crafters be able to make top tier gear equivalent gear or should this be left only to dungeon players? If crafters can make it than theoretically people can just buy the best gear off the auction house without even setting foot into a single end game content... but at the same time, crafters have no impact last tier of game gear whatsoever because they cant make it or even meld for it. What do you guys think?  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think a real crafting system should have them involved in making the best gear in the game, not just be the ones that make it.

Raid groups get some rare drop that gets used by a crafter to make the best gear ect. If all they can make is entry lvl or worse crafting is just a tagged on time sink in the same way arena pvp is.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Yes, they should be able to craft the best. Just make it so the drops you need come from raid bosses.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i think in any robust mmo top end gear should be available via multiple routes. the more choices for players to pick their own path to endgame the better.

some prefer the grind of crafting over that of dungeons. one does not necessarily outrank the other. they both take time and effort.

for that matter i think that gear should be available via pvp as well.

just give players choices and let them decide on the direction they want to take.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ResiaResia Member Posts: 119
    I agree. I always felt if it matched raid gear, then it should need at least one raid component to make it.

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think a real crafting system should have them involved in making the best gear in the game, not just be the ones that make it.

Raid groups get some rare drop that gets used by a crafter to make the best gear ect. If all they can make is entry lvl or worse crafting is just a tagged on time sink in the same way arena pvp is.

I can't think of anything less rewarding for my efforts as an adventurer than crafting drops.  At best, crafters should be able to make equitable gear or have the ability to modify raid  or high end drops to better suit the class that won the roll.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by aspekx

i think in any robust mmo top end gear should be available via multiple routes. the more choices for players to pick their own path to endgame the better.

some prefer the grind of crafting over that of dungeons. one does not necessarily outrank the other. they both take time and effort.

for that matter i think that gear should be available via pvp as well.

just give players choices and let them decide on the direction they want to take.

Amen to that.  I'm sick to death of one play style lording it over the others, no matter how much more work is perceived as that is rather subjective in itself.  Whether casual or hardcore, crafter or adventurer, socializer or loner, you should be rewarded for your preferred play style and to hell with other gamers and developers arbitrarily deciding which one deserves more.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

No.

We already make the best crafting gear, the best food, potions, the best gear you can find from 1-49, soon to be furnishings and who knows that role we will play in frontlines but Yoshida said it was vital. The combat weapons and armor we can make at 50 are almost as good as the best raid drops. Not to mention the best raid drops still need a crafter to put in the materia in order for the stats to be truly the best.

We have a heavy monopoly on all items in the game. I don't feel slighted that end game raids get the best of the best. In other mmos like say Rift, it was much more impactful because A: there was no crafting gear, B: the best recipes and resources were locked behind raids which is worse than just drops imho. I dont want to raid in order to craft. I dont think end game raiders should rely 100% on crafters either.

There are enough crafting systems in FFXIV that we can afford to not craft the cream of the crop. I know many will disagree and I can see their point. But in the context of this particular mmo, there is so much more that is needed from a crafter than just the top pve gear.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There is a market for the gear as-is.

I don't think crafted gear should be ~the best~. Then that just allows everyone to buy/craft their way to the top. I think the absolute best should be dropped in difficult content, and exclusive enough that not everyone has (immediate) access to it.

I think the current S/E model pretty well fits that. You have DL, and you have crafted which is marginally better, and then you have the iLvl90 stuff that's gated and fairly rare right now. I agree with crafted gear as an alternative to farmed gear as a gateway to the best gear - right now you need iLvl 70 stuff to get access to the iLvl 90 stuff, and crafted is there as a iLvl 70 option (and arguably the better option).

I do think crafters should have access to some exclusive items, that are "best in slot" that bind immediately upon crafting (and require raid drops to obtain).

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

I have always been of the opinion that end game content dungeon/raid should drop materials for crafting gear on par with boss drops. It would tie crafting and PvE together instead of making them separate entities. Not sure why every single gear progression themepark game with crafting as a side mini game doesn't do this. Otherwise all crafting professions besides alchemy and jeweler become obsolete.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    I would say yes. When I first started playing MMO's, you had stock gear that dropped and you had great gear that had to be crafted. But then, there was no such thing as "end game" back then either. With today's games and endgame mindset, why not offer both? I don't think someone who chooses to be a crafter vs. a raider should be penalized for that choice.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Yes crafters should be able to make any gear that drops in a game or at least its equivalent, maybe make crafted and dropped gear look slightly different.

I never understood this whole lets kill some monster to get the best gear in the game mentality, I mean where did the monster get it from?

Why does the best gear have to be some old crap that has been in a monsters lair for 500 years?

Why does it being old make it better?

Each game has it's own history and you would think that that society would evolve not devolve. Just like our world as time goes on we get better at making weapons and defense equipment systems etc etc.

I mean if we are too stupid to make gear as good if not better than ones from heroes of old, should we not also be failing when fighting against evils of old ?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I think gear should wear out eventually break and be unrepairable.

I think dungeons/ raids  should  materials for making best and rarest things possible

I think crafters should beable to make best gear possible,    in fact I think monsters shouldn't drop gear at all.

But I want a crafting system which allows you to make more customised items and even name them .

Even to the point of selecting the shape color etc of the gear so you could forge an armor set .

Or course like in age of conan there was a bit of abuse with crafting / stacking stats etc ..  This game might be a bit better since you stack stats anyways lol

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    In terms of raw power I think crafters should be able to make top tier equivalent.  I also think an Enhancer/Enchanter class should be added to give gear special boosts that don't already have them and that can add slots to gear as well.
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Yes they should be, but only if (as the above post) items can break (for good) and aren't cheap/easy to make.   Otherwise it breaks the economy and other end game content.
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

Yes crafters should be able to make any gear that drops in a game or at least its equivalent, maybe make crafted and dropped gear look slightly different.

I never understood this whole lets kill some monster to get the best gear in the game mentality, I mean where did the monster get it from?

Why does the best gear have to be some old crap that has been in a monsters lair for 500 years?

Why does it being old make it better?

Each game has it's own history and you would think that that society would evolve not devolve. Just like our world as time goes on we get better at making weapons and defense equipment systems etc etc.

I mean if we are too stupid to make gear as good if not better than ones from heroes of old, should we not also be failing when fighting against evils of old ?

haha. you just made way too much sense

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I don't necessarily think crafted gear should be outright the best. Meaning I don't think you should be able to just go to market boards and buy the best gear in the game. Yet it should have some role in the equation for the best gear.

Just take ffxi as an example since many that play FFXIV are at least familiar with it. You had cursed gear that needed to made by a crafter but you needed an item (adjuration) from an HNM to remove the curse and be able to wear it. This meant a crafter was needed but you couldn't just outright buy it without fighting something difficult either. Also later you had salvage gear that took many pieces of dropped gear and many crafted items bought from crafters and traded to an NPC who made it into amazing awesome gear. Once again crafting had a role but you couldnt just go and buy it.

I realize this game is very new but I think pieces like this should exist in the future where you cannot just go and outright buy the gear but crafters play some role.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

The gear crafters can make now, slotted with the appropriate materia, is extremely powerful.   It blows darklight gear away.

It's expensive as all hell to make, what with adding extra slots and all that, but it's about on par with the ilvl 90 stuff available when you do.

It would be nifty to see a crafting system in an MMO similar to Monster Hunter or Dragon's Dogma. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think people should get rewarded for playing whatever type of feature they want. I'm not a huge fan of raids dropping crafting materials because you take away from the "YES!" moment that just happened when you downed the boss.

Crafting is a tricky one because typical themeparks get it wrong on so many levels. You end up with a profession that is completely self serving (ie pick up leatherworking for the crit bonus etc). Or you end up with a narrow scope of what you can do with your profession (oh you're a tailor? you make backpacks. period.) Theres rarely any cross profession dependencies, so trade and commerce between crafters is virtually gone.

I know so many people want to make the best gear in the game and they want decay. So whats the motivation for anyone to do any pve at all? Plus, take a minute as a crafter and think about what you'll actually be doing in a game setup that way. You are going to make the same handful of items over and over and over until you quit because thats all you do every time you log on is the same exact shit.

Give me a system that rewards all types of gameplay. And give me a crafting system that lets me be an outfitter, or make components, or furniture, or augment slots. The more options the better. And if you still think you should have all that stuff I mentioned, plus be able to make best in slot gear...well, thats kinda selfish tbh heh. Live andlet live, let people enjoy and be rewarded for any way they play.

Originally posted by Foomerang

I think people should get rewarded for playing whatever type of feature they want. I'm not a huge fan of raids dropping crafting materials because you take away from the "YES!" moment that just happened when you downed the boss.

Crafting is a tricky one because typical themeparks get it wrong on so many levels. You end up with a profession that is completely self serving (ie pick up leatherworking for the crit bonus etc). Or you end up with a narrow scope of what you can do with your profession (oh you're a tailor? you make backpacks. period.) Theres rarely any cross profession dependencies, so trade and commerce between crafters is virtually gone.

I know so many people want to make the best gear in the game and they want decay. So whats the motivation for anyone to do any pve at all? Plus, take a minute as a crafter and think about what you'll actually be doing in a game setup that way. You are going to make the same handful of items over and over and over until you quit because thats all you do every time you log on is the same exact shit.

Give me a system that rewards all types of gameplay. And give me a crafting system that lets me be an outfitter, or make components, or furniture, or augment slots. The more options the better. And if you still think you should have all that stuff I mentioned, plus be able to make best in slot gear...well, thats kinda selfish tbh heh. Live andlet live, let people enjoy and be rewarded for any way they play.

Slow down, guy. That is just crazy talk. It is almost as if you are describing these sandbox things I heard the elderly folks talk about. Pretty sure those no longer exist :P

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

EQ2 tried this one expansion and the player base hated it.  It did nothing to stimulate the economy since all the guilds that could farm raid gear keep the crafters in house and just added a road block to keep you from wearing that item that just dropped.

It sounds great in theory but in practice I think it falls short.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

This guy has a head on his shoulders, 100% agree with him.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The best item in any game should combine the best drops from the hardest mob in the game along with a rare crafting recipe adjusting the item in some way and just good luck in general with the rolls on the item. In addition to all that it should be unclear that it is the best item in the game because the game should be complex enough that best is a pretty abstract term.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Yes crafters should be able to make the best gear in game..  The components for the item should come via some nasty ass hard dungeon runs though..

Bollx to tomes this and whatever that.  Run different dungeons for the various materials until you have enough to have what you need crafted.  A far more realistic scenario.

/thread