Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five of the Most Unappreciated MMOs

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would agree Rift and TSW should not be on that list. In their place I would include Age of Conan and maybe Star Trek Online.  I don't play either of those games, but I keep hearing how they have improved and they do seem to have a fanbase. 
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Still got my Ryzom closed beta CD tucked away somewhere in my collection, loved the game back then and somehow i just forgot about the game entirely, tried it a year or two back, just couldn't get into it anymore like i did a decade ago :)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I think you got to add Asheron's Call to the list.  The vast majority of players who never played it always forget to mention it's existence and it's contributions to the early days of MMO's.  99% of the time when I read someone talking about nostalgia or how great early MMO's were they mention UO or EQ and it rightfully pisses me off when they ignore AC. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Fallen earth deserves to be number 1,  the reason is simple.  They had a great plan during beta.  It all fell apart.  From simple mechanics like swimming in the water, to this day you still cant go in the water.  We had anticipated area 141 by now, but no I gave up way beck during the 2nd combat upgrade.  Combat changes have been a disaster to this game.   They might still have a small following. I think its been a year since I last logged into Fallen earth. Great idea's bad dev's and Gamers First, yes that really put the final nail in the coffin for me.

I have to ask why swtor did not make this list. 

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Rift and The Secret World are unappreciated?? riiiiight.  If you ask me games such as SWTOR should be up there as that game is seriously unappreciated in more than one way and imo its a decent game really.  And if its cus hardly anyone plays em again I beg to differ on the two titles I mentioned, finding it hard to believe, but I think D&DO is most unappreciated good MMO out there.

imageimage

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Rift is actually the best F2P themepark ever.

I suggest everyone to give it a try, you have access to 100% of the content fro free.

The only money you need to spend is £5 to have full access to the AH.

After that you can play the game for free forever................

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Heh, I like Fallen Earth. I bought it when it was released, and with a break, I still play it. ^^ It's teeming with players, I enjoy the graphics and the open world, the classless system and the crafting. Great game. My "let's play fallen earth" is nearing episode 300. :D

Rift I bought too when ti was released, but never really played it. It was just so restrictive on where you could go. You had only two starting zones in the entire game, and you could always just follow one path to advance. T_T

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Pretty solid list, Bill. I've played 3 of the 5 and still have both TSW and Rift active and updated.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    You forgot World of Warcraft.
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Both rift and tsw are very much appreciated by a reasonable size of ghe community... They dont belong on that list

Yeah I would replace those with WURM Online, or Uncharted Waters, or Pirates of the Burning Sea. TSW and Rift are mainstream mmos that have enjoyed commercial success and are regularly advertised all over the place.

The list is really his opinion. These are games he likes and wants to highlight. My list would be very different.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by DamonVile

It's always someone else's fault. I mean the reason so many are bitter couldn't be because they let themselves get that way. Someone else has to be responceable.

If you splash cold water on your face you come back to reality more quickly.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting it's anyone's fault other than the person acting that way. However, people tend to mirror the behavior around them if it's sanctioned by others, especially the people "in charge".

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

The Secret World is by far the best MMO that does not get any credit.  I don't know if it is because of Funcom's record or the setting but seriously.  More people should be playing this game.  Something about it brings me back to it and I think Tokyo is going to be EPIC. 

Now I should look at Fallen Earth a bit....

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

For the role players I would suggest Dark Ages. It's a great game where features such as college classes and sermons are actually all run by the players! You can get into politics too. Students who go to classes and answer the professors  questions may have a chance to earn a badge. Earn enough badges and you can become a teacher yourself (basically you graduate from college).

Work your way up if you'd like, and go into politics or be a priest (the class priests can actually become priests and run sermons in game). It's very fleshed out and has still been one of the best games I've played as a role player. It has often made me wonder why no other MMO has picked up these systems and tried them for a roleplaying server.

Smile

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by rwyan

Fallen Earth was very sandboxy-ish.  Yeah, you had levels, but you were free to invest in the various skills and stats at your choosing.  It was also very crafter focused  (much in the way of FF14 1.0 and SWG).

TSW is a themepark through and through.  Different in many ways, but still very themeparkish.  Problem is that it relies on a very standard end-game model (grind the same dungeons over and over to get better and better gear).  Up front, you get some wonderfully told/presented storylines and get dumped into a hamster wheel at the end (which only appeals to a very niche crowd of an already very niche game).  The end-game really needs to open up in a number of ways (provide a variety of fun, compelling activities that still allow players to advance characters), hopefully scenarios will be the start of that.  I myself go back from time to time to play through the new missions and run an instance or two.

Yeah, I hope Scenarios and Augments open up end game.  Like I said, I think the next two issues are going to be make or break really.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Agree 100% with your comments about RIFT mr Murphy
  • akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I do not think Rift is such a good game. A bad game with a good business model stays a bad game. Here is a fact to back it up: The combat seems unnatural, Rifts are repetative, Combat is poor, and there is no soul to the game. TSW, hmmm, good game, very close to Swtor in terms of combat dynamics, but I do not like the questing, when I play a mmo I want to relax, not have to think. Additionally, no levels make grinding seem more pointless and confusing as you do get better and better gear and abilities. It is leveling behind a wall. Too niche. I know of other games that might deserve it more to be on the list. And when you die in TSW you have to walk back, how stupid is that?
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I return to Rift again and again, there is sooo much Trion did RIGHT!

No bitchers.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Not a bad article, but his denial about the comparison of WOW to RIft is absurd. There are a lot more similarities than differences. I think Rift is a good game, but I tried twice and felt the world was sort of missing soul and the quests and lore too generic and uninteresting. Had that game arrived at the same time as Lord of the Rings Online or around the timeframe, it would have done a lot better.

There Is Always Hope!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by NightBanditAll those years in UO and EQI might of made me look at games in a different way than most people do and call me old school but I play games for the community and not for the it looks good or whatever is in style today rubbish. I want games to have a heart and soul that's why I played them games for 8year plus. For me EQI had almost everything I like in an MMO and had it been possible to create a modern version of it which provided much of what EQI did then I would not hesitate to join that game and give my whole...Until then I will be like many others on the holy grails for the next BIG fix of MMO dust.

Bandit

This is where you lost me because Ryzom is everything you say you want and like in a mmo.

It has the best creatures and living world of any mmo to date, seasons, weather, animal migrations, certain plants can only be found at different times of the year or seasons. The game is also a sandbox game with player made content and world, mobs.

Everyone is ranting on about EQN Landmark but Ryzom has been doing it for a few years.

Check out Ryzom Ring, the OP failed to mention that but that's to be expected if they want us to believe EQN is leading the way.

http://www.ryzom.com/en/mmorpg-rpg-mmo-ryzom_ring.html

Are sure you even played Ryzom?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I think FFXI should be on the list.  Nobody ever talks about it, unless they're talking about FFXIV lol.  There wasn't a single thing I would have changed about that game :D
  • MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

"It’s now F2P beyond the initial purchase, and sales are always happening. "

Why couldn't William Murphy, the managing editor of mmorpg.com, figure out how to type "B2P" or "buy to play". It's little stuff like this that makes me think alot of mmorpg.com staff don't even play mmo's much, or certainly not passionately enough to be a discussion contributor.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Mattatron
    "It’s now F2P beyond the initial purchase, and sales are always happening. " Why couldn't William Murphy, the managing editor of mmorpg.com, figure out how to type "B2P" or "buy to play". It's little stuff like this that makes me think alot of mmorpg.com staff don't even play mmo's much, or certainly not passionately enough to be a discussion contributor.

Same reason why, around here, Guild Wars 2 is the F2P poster child. Saying a game is free to play after you bought it is like saying your groceries were free after you paid for them. Its kinda stupid.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75
    I enjoyed TSW for awhile and I agree with the quests but the combat was so bad I got tired of it.
  • SuilebhainSuilebhain Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I would have added Runes of Magic to that list. For those who hated TSW in beta, it is 1000% better than it was. I played at launch and was so annoyed with how clunky everything was, but they fixed much of what was wrong. I do hate the interdimensional travel system, though. I was hoping for something more like Call of Cthulhu only set in a modern age.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Mattatron
    "It’s now F2P beyond the initial purchase, and sales are always happening. "

Why couldn't William Murphy, the managing editor of mmorpg.com, figure out how to type "B2P" or "buy to play". It's little stuff like this that makes me think alot of mmorpg.com staff don't even play mmo's much, or certainly not passionately enough to be a discussion contributor.

Same reason why, around here, Guild Wars 2 is the F2P poster child. Saying a game is free to play after you bought it is like saying your groceries were free after you paid for them. Its kinda stupid.

GW2 is more like a F2P game with a cover charge.