Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five of the Most Unappreciated MMOs

Comments

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

you guys forgot Champions of Regnum.

Regnum's pvp still outclasses that of Rift by a long way. Your reviews are still tainted by a fixation with gfx detail and glitz instead of looking at core gameplay elements. tsk! tsk! tsk!

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    You lost me at Rift & TSW, which are terrible IMO.

TSW has a lot of great attributes, but I think Funcom blew it when they decided to soften the game up (no world PvP), and also by making what should have been an incredible role playing MMO a full on gear grinder themepark.

TSW is another game I want to love, but when I see all the gear grinding, and everyone just hanging out trying to get into instances, I lose interest.

I was in beta and played for about 2 months after release. It went downhill fast.

With all the potential subject matter that could be exposed in the storylines and lore, you would think FC would have a goldmine of content, but nope.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I thought Fallen Earth had a lot of potential but their combat system is pretty bad in my opinion. 
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I've tried Rift twice now and just can't get into it.  It's too compact and rushes you along too quickly.
  • The truth is not that most mmorpg's are garbage, the truth is that you are a writer for a populist website. You write for popular games, fine. Calling non-popular games garbage is disrespectful.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Add Age of Conan to that list, biggest best looking open world MMO hands down
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    I've tried Rift twice now and just can't get into it.  It's too compact and rushes you along too quickly.

Besides the fact that all the characters run like they are about to hurl and are looking for a toilet.

Originally posted by Powermike
    The truth is not that most mmorpg's are garbage, the truth is that you are a writer for a populist website. You write for popular games, fine. Calling non-popular games garbage is disrespectful.

Now you know where the caustic attitude on the forums comes from...the staff. They taught us well.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Powermike
    The truth is not that most mmorpg's are garbage, the truth is that you are a writer for a populist website. You write for popular games, fine. Calling non-popular games garbage is disrespectful.

Now you know where the caustic attitude on the forums comes from...the staff. They taught us well.

It's always someone else's fault. I mean the reason so many are bitter couldn't be because they let themselves get that way. Someone else has to be responceable.

on topic..

I could never get past every review of TSW saying it's combat was the worst in any mmo they've ever played. Even here it makes it into the " why it's geat " That's always kept me from playing because it seems to keep people from sticking with the game.

Ryzom is the only game on that list I even tried outside of betas and I only quit because no one I knew wanted to play. So I can't really agree or disagree with your top 5.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    If FE and TSW had more enjoyable combat I would still be playing both. Rift is a great game but it is too same old... fun once but not anymore.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034

I have enjoyed the first sentence in this column over 15 times now. I had said this many times myself.

Rift = wow but scores very low on the WoWFARM test (World of Warcraft Fluidity and Response Measurement test). The lore is also hurting as well.

With respect to WoWFarM - not many games I have played even come close. so I am not surprised when I see games that I feel are unplayable make a list of underappreciated games.

With that said though, I have not played any of the other games on the list. I think TSW is going to deserve a shot and perhaps Fallen Earth and Ryzom.

Wakfu - for some reason any time I see art like that I just feel like more thought is put into stimulating the minds of young men rather than the game.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    All these games I don't rate at all, TSW top of the list LOL

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Rift's biggest problem is the amazingly slow and under-optimized gaming/graphical engine.

That is the sole reason me and my friends stopped playing.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Wakfu is basically a subscription game with a cosmetic cash shop and a very brief (in terms of content) free trial.  You can't really do anything beyond the starter area without subscribing (I mean ANYTHING, including fight things).  Once you do subscribe, you still won't have full access to all content because, again, it has a cash shop that you have to pay for. Most of the stuff in the cash shop is just cosmetic (but not all. Pets that give stats and some levellable equipment is in there) but in my opinion, any MMO that charges BOTH a subscription AND a cash shop should go die in a fire.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Both rift and tsw are very much appreciated by a reasonable size of ghe community... They dont belong on that list

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    Fallen Earth should never get on this list. Since its launch game changed hands and all development ceased. All you get is same old system with "new cool items" from cash shop and repetitive gameplay. Last "patch" is a joke.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Both rift and tsw are very much appreciated by a reasonable size of ghe community... They dont belong on that list
    Yeah I would replace those with WURM Online, or Uncharted Waters, or Pirates of the Burning Sea. TSW and Rift are mainstream mmos that have enjoyed commercial success and are regularly advertised all over the place.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Man, Saga of Ryzom. I remember it from back in the day before it was put on life support after management handover.  I don't know if TSW is so much underappreciated as much as it simply suffers from being an MMO when it would've otherwise made an excellent adventure game.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Rift is one of the best out there, its just so incredibly static. The extra that it has are the Rifts and they are very good content wise.

TSW is troublesome, yes good quests, the best graphics in the industry and actually a very good "Wheel" of attack options. However.... the center earth thing is cripling the game, just like artifical barries to get iinto dungeons, which really are pretty bad. If you are a girl and you like to dance go Rift or TSW, but if you are a real man that actually likes to fight!!, keep searching for something more immersive out there...

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I tried the beta of The Secret World and literally felt it was the *worst* game I've ever played. Usually if I don't like a game I just uninstall and move on but TSW actually made me angry that I had wasted time with it. Horrible combat, very boring  skills, terribly written wannabe-Stephen King story and quests that were supposed to be part of this story but reset every 24 hours so you could grind them. I'm always shocked when I see anyone praise TSW. Maybe they have drastically improved it since beta?

Rift is a great leveling system stuck in a fun but generic game. Ryzom I tried but found boring. Wakfu does sound interesting, will have to look into that.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I actually would add Darkfall UW. Large open seamless world aiming combat things take some time to accomplish. I would recommend it to old school mmo vets that can handle being killed and looted occasionally. So refreshing to be treated like an adult with consequences to you actions. I agree with the list for the most part. If I have to play a game with quests...it is tsw. The builder combat is a bit of a chore though. Eliminate the building component and I think it would be a much bigger hit. Rift has clunky combat and a smallish linear quest hub setup...no thanks.

Edit:  I wasn't big on FE's controls/combat system, but I respect what the game is trying to do.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Age of Conan should have made this list.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    The redeeming factors mentioned for each game in this article hardly makes up for the reason why said games went "unappreciated" in the first place.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I may collapse - an article I agree with!

I haven't played Ryzom or Fallen Earth but may give them a shot.  F2P makes me want to vomit though.  Great model for games like LOL where you can thrive selling skins and stuff and where pay 2 win is non existent.  I've yet to see F2P in an MMORPG that didn't include some element of pay 2 win, and ANY shred of pay 2 win is unacceptable to me.  Play (not pay) to win or don't play.

I'd agree that Rift is underappreciated (and/or overly bashed).  A lot of MMOs qualify as "wow clones" yet fail miserably to even come close to the formula.  Rift not only offers just about everything wow offers but it offers more (perhaps not in the pvp areas but since I don't give a crap about pvp...who cares).  I refer to Rift as "wow without the suck" (since wow has been dumbed down to infantile over the years) but Rift really offers up much more content at any given time in endgame space.

I would probably have put TSW at the top of the list.  Launching against the overly hyped and ultimately disappointing GW2 hurt TSW, which is a shame, because it's an excellent game.  I'm all about grouping but if you're going to simulate a single player RPG in your MMO, TSW does it better than most with some of the slickest solo content in the genre - huge variety, way more depth and challenge, great stories and interesting bits everywhere.  TSW has some of the best atmosphere and vibe of any MMORPG too, with it's somewhat fantasy in a modern world presentation.

TSW also has some of the better instances too IMO - great content that focuses on bosses and not on time sinking useless trash.  Too bad funcom is generally inept.  As good as TSW is, there isn't enough of it, and since funcom focuses on spending months creating hours worth of solo content instead of creating more group-based/endgame content, you eventually run out of stuff to do way too fast.

I would guess that one of the main reasons that TSW hasn't done better is because its content is NOT ultra dumb (or solo ez mode).  You have to actually pay attention and think quite often (or look up stuff online constantly and if that's what it boils down to for you, it won't be fun and why are you playing ANY games).  And even though its character/build system is wide open, if you don't THINK and build a solid/cohesive build, you'll get mangled as content ramps up.  TSW rewards intelligence, which is something way too many MMORPG players lack these days.  TSW doesn't hold your hand.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

I usually often agree with you, Bill, but Rift is definitely a "WoW Clone", not to mention a very linear game, the world feels small, no real cities either, and poorly responsive combat.

TSW... just like Conan, it just doesn't feel like a world. It's just random zones, connected with a very artificial travel system, totally disconnected from each other. And the combat is just plain bad.

Wafku/Dofus... just the graphics make me sick. I guess some people are into such things though.

Fallen Earth is not really a sandbox, you can craft your own helicopter or bike in WoW and that doesn't make it a sandbox either.

Rizom is definitely an interesting game worth trying, it just wasn't my cup of tea but it's definitely not bad. It's just, as said in the article, quite different.

My computer is better than yours.