Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is making the space revamp PvP only a smart move for Bioware?

I recently wrote a blog here at MMORPG asking the question "Is making the space revamp PvP only a smart move for Bioware?". You can read the blog here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Grand_Nagus/102013/25535_Is-making-the-space-revamp-PvP-only-a-smart-move-for-Bioware

If you have been living under a rock and have just crawled out to get some fresh air or sunlight, you may not have yet heard that Bioware has just announced the 2nd digital expansion for "The Old Republic", titled "Galactic Starfighter". If you havent already, check out the promo page here:

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter

If you are at all familiar with TOR, you may also be aware that players have been asking for free flight space gameplay since before the game even launched. And Bioware was obviously paying attention, because for some time now they have been working on the "Super Secret Space Project", which has culminated in this new expansion.

So this is good news for everybody, right? Well, not exactly. In a shocking move, Bioware has decided to make this expansion PvP ONLY. Thats right, absolutely NO PVE space missions in this expansion, as confirmed by Bioware here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6824326#edit6824326

Now as previously mentioned, people have been asking for free flight space gameplay for a long time. But not even once in all of those discussions have I ever seen anyone ask that this system be PvP only. In fact, I doubt that idea even entered into anyone's minds, because it just seemed like common sense that any such system would be both PvE and PvP.

Before I go any further, let me be clear about one thing. I definitely understand and agree with the fact that PvP has not gotten enough attention in this game's history. It both needs and deserves to get more content, and I am really glad to know that this new space expansion features PvP content. That all makes perfect sense to me.

But at the same time, it is commonly known/accepted that most players are PvE inclined:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=687542

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=687006

That doesnt mean PvE is "better" than PvP, it is just a matter of personal taste. But this isnt about PvE vs PvP. What this is about is Bioware finally releasing the #1 most requested feature that people have been asking, no begging for since beta, but doing it in a way that none of the people asking for it ever wanted. Sadly, this reminds me of one of those stories where someone gets a magic wish, but then the evil genie makes it come true on a horrible way that the person never meant. 

Having said all that, there is one microscopic ray of sunshine. On the promo page for the expansion, it makes the following statement:

"Galactic Starfighter will continue to evolve with regular updates for all players so check back often for more details!"

I can only hope for both Bioware's sake and for the sake of the players that this means they are working on PvE content for this new free flight space system. Only time will tell.

What do you think? Is making the #1 requested feature since launch something that is PvP only a smart move?

Comments

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

I feel like the new expansion will be cool, and a nice little addition to people already playing the game.

That said, it isn't a full open flight expansion, which is what I've heard everyone asking for. I don't think anyone is necessarily going to come rushing back to play it.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    We are at the point where it does not matter what they do people will still cry about everything, on here a majority that cry don't even play it and sleep with a copy of SWG under their pillows at night. With that said I am perfectly fine with this direction. In game majority are positive. My guild is mostly pve as am I and most of us are excited to try this out and dab into PvP. I think that's what the haters are afraid of and that's pve players like myself will enjoy this new PvP content which they have said if this works out from what most that actually play say it will pve will be coming. I'm sure once the haters start seeing the overly positive reaction from pve and PvP players their next crying will be subs get the content before f2p which I think is a brilliant move. All and all I think this will be positive and from my experience actually in the game most are also excited.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

To little to late and I uninstalled the game and will never return even after spending the money I did on the collectors edition and subbing for 6 months I felt let down but what the game offered and imo they lost many of the people who hoped for more from this franchise and getting people to buy back into a game which in many peoples eyes has failed will be near on impossible. I can understand why they have gone down the PVP line with this next add-on because PVP'ers are screaming our for a game to call home but sadly I feel its too late and they have far to much competition about to take even more players in other directions. 

Star Citizen being the main one that has listened and acted on the consumers feed-back and while ground combat may take a few years to hit SC I feel they going to blow many space games apart even the likes of EVE will suffer if Chris Roberts pulls this EPIC idea off, but only time will tell.

Asbo

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    OP what did you want? Blow up 10 asteroids?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Originally posted by bcbully

Have you ever heard of a game called Battlefront 2? It featured both PvE and PvP gameplay, and the PvE gameplay involved fighting against NPC ships(both fighters and capital ships). Sorry you were so confused  :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This is probably just the first step. PvP content is easy to make..because players make their own content. All they really need is a few " maps" to play on and killing the other guy takes care of the rest.

If you could only do one or the other at this time, I think they picked the right way. PvP content will last much longer than a pve mission would.  I don't think they should never focus on pve content, just the pvp was a smart choice to add first for this game.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

The question is, is making a another MOBA like Moonbreakers and Star Conflict a smart move for Bioware?

Answer: nope

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This is probably just the first step. PvP content is easy to make..because players make their own content. All they really need is a few " maps" to play on and killing the other guy takes care of the rest.

If you could only do one or the other at this time, I think they picked the right way. PvP content will last much longer than a pve mission would.  I don't think they should never focus on pve content, just the pvp was a smart choice to add first for this game.

Yeah, I am hoping for some pve content as well. Make no doubt, I will be playing the pvp part with my guildies as soon as it is released. Still, some coop based missions would be nice. I do hope that these will be added later.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by DocBrody

The question is, is making a another MOBA like Moonbreakers and Star Conflict a smart move for Bioware?Answer: nope

Is releasing new content good? Is releasing a completely entirely new aspect of the game good for Bioware? Yep sure is.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Well, I don't know if it's a good move but it is making the game more intriguing to me.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I saw your post of this same topic on the SWTOR forums. I enjoyed reading the many attacks you garnered, and your deft responses. I felt you were simply posing the question but man did they attempt to savage you.

To the topic:

If they only produce this as PvP, without a later PvE version it's a mistake. I have a hard time imagining even the bozos at Bioware being that dumb though. 

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ignore_me
    I saw your post of this same topic on the SWTOR forums. I enjoyed reading the many attacks you garnered, and your deft responses. I felt you were simply posing the question but man did they attempt to savage you.To the topic:If they only produce this as PvP, without a later PvE version it's a mistake. I have a hard time imagining even the bozos at Bioware being that dumb though. 

Oh ye, of little faith.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by ignore_me
    I saw your post of this same topic on the SWTOR forums. I enjoyed reading the many attacks you garnered, and your deft responses. I felt you were simply posing the question but man did they attempt to savage you.

To the topic:

If they only produce this as PvP, without a later PvE version it's a mistake. I have a hard time imagining even the bozos at Bioware being that dumb though. 

Oh ye, of little faith.

I know lol. It's foolish but I keep expecting them to wake up.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Have you ever heard of a game called Battlefront 2? It featured both PvE and PvP gameplay, and the PvE gameplay involved fighting against NPC ships(both fighters and capital ships). Sorry you were so confused  :)

It's just really hard for me to see, without a full blown space world. Ideally it would have mining nodes, space stations, enemy space ect. 

Would you really be happy with a hand full of "assault this ship!" or "Stop these asterioids!" quest?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by DocBrody

The question is, is making a another MOBA like Moonbreakers and Star Conflict a smart move for Bioware?

Answer: nope

Why ? Mobas are the it genre right now.  Might as

well tap into it

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    As an introductory move, it is. Further expansions will need to include pve aspects at some point. If only to be travel between planets. Short of harvesting , can't see space pve being that interesting. Not a fan of instanced areas. Especially in a part of the game that's suppose to be OPEN SPACE.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I have zero interest in ANY MMORPG PvP, and zero interest in this SWTOR feature.  I consider MMORPG PvP to be a joke.  PvP is done better in just about any other gaming genre that has PvP.  But devs keep on thinking they can do something PvP in MMORPGs that won't suck and be filled with imbalance and grief.

Some people do like MMORPG PvP though and there seems to be SOME interest in it in-game.  Of course, this interest is expressed by like 3 people, the people who are always yapping in fleet chat, usually with troll-ish idiocy, so I question whether their opinion should be considered.

Ultimately I'd say, why not?  It's something marginally different.  I have no idea why this is being done as an xpac instead of a patched on feature since it hardly seems xpac worthy...but whatever.

I'm actually dinking around with SWTOR a little lately and still don't really care.  I already know I'll play for a short while and be sick of the game again in short order.  There are some things I like about SWTOR but they are buried by all the things I don't like, so I know I won't last long, and there really isn't much in the way of adding new content that can change this - the game would need to have a lot of core elements reworked for me to be able to tolerate it long-term and I'm doubting that'll be happening.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

Originally posted by Voqar

I have zero interest in ANY MMORPG PvP, and zero interest in this SWTOR feature.  I consider MMORPG PvP to be a joke.  PvP is done better in just about any other gaming genre that has PvP.  But devs keep on thinking they can do something PvP in MMORPGs that won't suck and be filled with imbalance and grief.

You play sports? Watch sports?

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

It's just really hard for me to see, without a full blown space world. Ideally it would have mining nodes, space stations, enemy space ect. 

Would you really be happy with a hand full of "assault this ship!" or "Stop these asterioids!" quest?

What I would personally enjoy would be:

1) half a dozen dailies that take place in various systems.

2) a few group level high end missions against enemy stations or capital ships

And of course, since this is an MMO and new content is being added over time, they could add more of those types of content as they are able.

• Masonic1Masonic1 Member Posts: 41

know what i'd enjoy more then the space revamp or tor?

tor shutting down and swg coming back with the pre-cu system and jtl

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    bio ware is no more
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

i dunno only time will show if it wus wise or not

n i also wonder ow much of it theyll hide in th galactic market :)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Masonic1

know what i'd enjoy more then the space revamp or tor?

tor shutting down and swg coming back with the pre-cu system and jtl

Touché. Can't say I wouldn't like to see that happen.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

If we take for granted that cost and time to roll out this feature was at a premium, then starting with PvP maps is probably a more efficient use of both.  Look at the number of warfronts needed to keep people playing versus the number of dungeons and raids that must be developed to keep the PvE playerbase moderately content. 

While these may not appeal to all PvE players, there's a fair chance that many will at least try it since space combat is a large part of SW feel and lore.  Even if they'd simply made PvE dailies it wouldn't be long before players finished grinding out their tokens, filling out their talent trees, and polishing off their customization then clamoring for more.  At least with PvP there's an ever-present progression in trying to be the best pilot/squadron in the galaxy to help keep the maps of use until they can roll out more content.

Finally, I'd say this is actually a move that shows Bioware is not as out of touch with their fans as people often suggest.  They've created a new addition to the game that's of a reasonable scope, that brings something fresh to their well-established formula, and that capitalizes on making their game more Star Warsy.  The proof of the pudding will be in the tasting but I'm satisfied that they're making a solid first step in a promising direction for their players.