Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are all the tanks ?

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I love FFXIV, and I normally tank, but tanking in FFXIV sucks hard.

Joined - July 2004

• psychosizpsychosiz Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by free2play

Up to now, the best tank class I have played is a conjurer.

I laughed so hard when I read this, then I clamed down and cried when I realized it was true.  Ok with a good tank its really not but with a bad tank its 100% true. I found when I leveled up a healer, in the 20-30's it was very apparent that I would take aggro away all the time and keep it.

To the original question I will say most of the responses have addressed the issue adequately.   I my self can tell I do like the aspects of tanking so I choose to play something else. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

I love playing tank; sadly with the way they're treated I have little to no desire to actually play one. If I wanted to get yelled at by 12 year olds about every single tiny mistake I've made, I'd go play Counter-Strike, League of Legends, or Call of Duty's online MP.

Yeah that's my feeling as well. The Tank is the linchpin of a holy trinity group and there is a lot to take in while an encounter is happening.

I've been playing tanks because I love the survivability as well as the whole "heavy armor, shield, big weapon thing" but then I get into groups and the groups can range from good to absolutely horrid.

DPS thinking they can go full tilt all the time and I've had a few rather ditzy healers who want to dps and forget about healing.

I should probably just go back to being dps.

Linchpin is sorta the healer...they can tank better (it's called Succor bombing) than a tank can heal. 

Regardless, on trash mobs the healer should not be expected to heal.  Only time a healer should be out of cleric stance is on a boss or for pre-shield/top off prior to the next trash wave.  Be ready for it.

DPS can go full tilt by end game.  We pull 6 mobs in AK on a regularly basis and never have aggro problems (warrior or paladin tank, doesn't matter).

I hear a lot of this.  It primarily comes from bad tanks.

You obviously play in a guild or static group. Try pugs and see what tanking is like for everyone else.

I've always loved playing the tank, but I've always played with the same group of friends in the same guild. Playing an alt I've been doing some pugging and wow is it not fun. The avg player seems to think they can be as dumb as humanly possible and it's the tanks job to keep them safe.

Most people who play tanks don't do it to be an adult baby sitter. The attitude of the bad DPS ( and there is a lot of them ) that it's always the tanks fault even when I run ahead or open with my aoe nuke while he's still gathering  ruins the experience for most people and they just stop playing a tank.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

I love playing tank; sadly with the way they're treated I have little to no desire to actually play one. If I wanted to get yelled at by 12 year olds about every single tiny mistake I've made, I'd go play Counter-Strike, League of Legends, or Call of Duty's online MP.

Yeah that's my feeling as well. The Tank is the linchpin of a holy trinity group and there is a lot to take in while an encounter is happening.

I've been playing tanks because I love the survivability as well as the whole "heavy armor, shield, big weapon thing" but then I get into groups and the groups can range from good to absolutely horrid.

DPS thinking they can go full tilt all the time and I've had a few rather ditzy healers who want to dps and forget about healing.

I should probably just go back to being dps.

Linchpin is sorta the healer...they can tank better (it's called Succor bombing) than a tank can heal. 

Regardless, on trash mobs the healer should not be expected to heal.  Only time a healer should be out of cleric stance is on a boss or for pre-shield/top off prior to the next trash wave.  Be ready for it.

DPS can go full tilt by end game.  We pull 6 mobs in AK on a regularly basis and never have aggro problems (warrior or paladin tank, doesn't matter).

I hear a lot of this.  It primarily comes from bad tanks.

You obviously play in a guild or static group. Try pugs and see what tanking is like for everyone else.

I've always loved playing the tank, but I've always played with the same group of friends in the same guild. Playing an alt I've been doing some pugging and wow is it not fun. The avg player seems to think they can be as dumb as humanly possible and it's the tanks job to keep them safe.

Most people who play tanks don't do it to be an adult baby sitter. The attitude of the bad DPS ( and there is a lot of them ) that it's always the tanks fault even when I run ahead or open with my aoe nuke while he's still gathering  ruins the experience for most people and they just stop playing a tank.

Yeah, but I'll bring a random or two on an AK run - gear checked, of course.  From there, a carry isn't tough.  As long as I don't have a Dullahan bashing my face in, mobs in AK are pretty blah.

I have low level classes, but I level solely through FATES.  I'm not even going to bother with the blood pressure issues tied to low level PUG dungeons - particularly on Temple of Qarn.

I might go back to full PUGs once the MVP system comes out.  Dunno....

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Grailer

Why does no one play tanks in these types of games ? I've been waiting for over an hour for a group on my dps.

I just don't understand why more people don't play tank class , is it hard or something ?

These types of games?

Specifically, FFXIV has one tank choice, and its not particularly interesting.  Games with lots of interesting tanks like EQ2 have plenty of players using them.

FFXIV only has one tank choice at low level, and thats the Gladiator. EQ2 is hardly a good comparison, as the 'classes' there are far less complex or interesting, but its horses for courses, if wanted to do tanking on easy mode with lots of different types of 'tanks' then WoW is probably the most likely candidate for having the most 'varieties' at low level.image

Marauders are also tanks, thus there are two choices. I've played both Marauder (to 26) and Gladiator (to 20) and found the Marauder to be the better of the two tanks earlier on. There is only one healing choice until 30, and that really screws things up in terms of DPS vs. Healer/Tank population.

I'd say the biggest reason for the long queue times, especially for lower level dungeons, is that dungeons aren't all that rewarding. FATEs exps is better and gear isn't super important early on so you're doing fine getting your nominal upgrades every so often via leves, story quest, and drops.

As for why people don't seem to want to play tanks is the community. I have two tanks for low level stuff, and I will only run with guild groups. I play to have fun, and not be berated by some know nothing.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Not sure why some people are saying there's only one tank choice, as there's two.

But beyond that, I play a tank (leveling both), though mid 30s now. But I avoid DF like the plague, and stick to friends / LS mates / FC groups.

The times I did DF groups, I had Lancers changing all my marks and pulling, healers that sprint out to pull with sleep, archers going all out before I can even shield lob / tomahawk, summoners with pets amok, people who focus down as hard as they can on 3 while 1 and 2 are still alive, etc.

I don't mind when they're nice, but these people were not nice. "Asshole" was an understatement. My favorite are the people I met that throw tantrums when not everyone in the group skipped the cutscene.

So I avoid DF when I can, I truly do. And from what the 50s in my LS / FC talk about, this all gets worse at 50.

EDIT: I wanted to add, not all of that is unique to DPS. I've DF'd some on my MNK, and I've come to have seen some of the worst tanking I have ever witnessed in an MMO. And even saying something like, "I bet our WHM would love themselves some more Flash ^^;" (and yes, they were Paladins) brought out some serious diva action.

DF community, just x_x

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Not sure why some people are saying there's only one tank choice, as there's two.

But beyond that, I play a tank (leveling both), though mid 30s now. But I avoid DF like the plague, and stick to friends / LS mates / FC groups.

The times I did DF groups, I had Lancers changing all my marks and pulling, healers that sprint out to pull with sleep, archers going all out before I can even shield lob / tomahawk, summoners with pets amok, people who focus down as hard as they can on 3 while 1 and 2 are still alive, etc.

I don't mind when they're nice, but these people were not nice. "Asshole" was an understatement. My favorite are the people I met that throw tantrums when not everyone in the group skipped the cutscene.

So I avoid DF when I can, I truly do. And from what the 50s in my LS / FC talk about, this all gets worse at 50.

EDIT: I wanted to add, not all of that is unique to DPS. I've DF'd some on my MNK, and I've come to have seen some of the worst tanking I have ever witnessed in an MMO. And even saying something like, "I bet our WHM would love themselves some more Flash ^^;" (and yes, they were Paladins) brought out some serious diva action.

DF community, just x_x

Reason why people only reference one tank job is because there is only one tank job by end game.  Trying to do BCoB with two warriors is unreasonably difficult. 

Paladins are just flat out better.  I do like Warriors as offtanks though, they are easier for me to heal over a temporary period (Lustrate scales with HP).  However, their damage mitigation is nothing when compared to a paladin.  Caduceus will eventually rip apart a Warrior regardless of gear just due to RNG risk.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Krugus
    I play a tank in just about every game I play.    Now days I quad box in EQ2 and I drop my other characters as people I know join my group (mostly guildmates)   Since I control both the Tank and the Healer any DPS that joins I let them know upfront that if they can't control their aggro they will die.    Their choice to join or not because I do not need them since I have 2 spell casters for DPS and I have the spell casting order down for them to do great DPS without out aggroing my Tank.   Even I know when to use aggro debuffs on my casters and I'm quad boxing!  Why can't a person controlling only 1 character figure this out is beyond me ;)   So yes I have no love at all for loud mouth DPS'ers that never learned to control their aggro :)   

Because they do not know the abilities of other classes or the mechanics behind aggro

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Majority dont play tank because of the others that bitch and moan that go apeshit when you lose aggro for 3 seconds...while all they do is sit there and hit their 2 button macro to dps...mmo crowd players are the most sensitive individuals that cry over virtual worlds its unbelievable how serious these people get!
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I have both Warrior and Paladin at 50.  I also have Whm at 50 along with dps classes at 50 as well.

From my experience, tanking is the most "draining" job.  There's no "cruising" mode even for farmed content because if you use the DF, you get a different group dynamic each time.   I have to mark targets only to see the DPS ignore them.  I have to take the FULL debuff from a boss/mob only to see a healer not Esuna or Leeches.

I have to look at each group member to see if they've agroed.  I try to skip mobs only to see people behind me agro the mobs we were about to skip. 

On the flip side, it's a very rewarding and satisfying job.  You have the biggest influence on the success of a run, more so than a healer.  It is my personal belief that a Very good tank can complete content with a mediocre healer.  You can have an excellent healer but will only get so far ifyour tank can't hold agro on more than one mob, or can't increase his threat/enmity level on a boss to allow the DPS to go full out.  I thnk a very good tank raises the threshold for potential excellence in a run than any other class.  A healer can compensate for a tanks shortcommings but a healer cannot elevate a group as much as an excellent tank can.  That's purely based on class design and the trinity system.

When I heal dungeons, especially ones i've done 40+ times (AK) it's much more relaxing and "cruise" mode than tanking.  Tanking always requires that you are paying attention to your threat, what other party members are doing, maintaining agro on multiple mobs, avoiding red things on the ground, popping cooldowns situationally.  DPS has a far narrower roll and healing becomes much easier the better gear you get.

On the flipside, some encounters in this game are FAR harder on healers and DPS than the tank (I'm looking at you TITAN HM!), so I guess it goes both ways.

TLDR:  Tanking is a thankless job with a lot of responsibility.  You can never really "rest" during a run.  Healing is not as stressful for most content other than Titan HM.  DPS has a narrow roll in a party and less responsibility to effectuate the outcome.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

DF community, just x_x

Reason why people only reference one tank job is because there is only one tank job by end game.  Trying to do BCoB with two warriors is unreasonably difficult. 

Paladins are just flat out better.  I do like Warriors as offtanks though, they are easier for me to heal over a temporary period (Lustrate scales with HP).  However, their damage mitigation is nothing when compared to a paladin.  Caduceus will eventually rip apart a Warrior regardless of gear just due to RNG risk.

Thats weird most I hear in game and on fansite forums is the Warrior is the better tank.  Healers like em better and they also hold aggro vs multi mobs better. Pallys/Glads are better at single target aggro. But a War, hell even a MAR at low lvl has hate generating abilities plus they hit harder than Glads. And alot of the aggro abilities Glads have you can use em with MAR.

I was going to add a Tank job to my character but everyones a MAR and I couldnt get Glad past lvl 12 it was so boring. Checked out the internet to see if it gets better and from what I read Glads stay boring and at high lvl there just there for stun duty, WARs are the perfered Tanks.  And they play like DPS so there more popular, and more fun imo.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

DF community, just x_x

Thats weird most I hear in game and on fansite forums is the Warrior is the better tank.  Healers like em better and they also hold aggro vs multi mobs better. Pallys/Glads are better at single target aggro. But a War, hell even a MAR at low lvl has hate generating abilities plus they hit harder than Glads. And alot of the aggro abilities Glads have you can use em with MAR.

I was going to add a Tank job to my character but everyones a MAR and I couldnt get Glad past lvl 12 it was so boring. Checked out the internet to see if it gets better and from what I read Glads stay boring and at high lvl there just there for stun duty, WARs are the perfered Tanks.  And they play like DPS so there more popular, and more fun imo.

Warriors can tank anything in the game except coil turn 5 and that's because they need i80 gear from Crystal tower.  Warriors pump out more dmage and threat thus allowing DPS to do more damage without worrying about holding back.  Paladins are more consistent in their damage mitigation.  They have a tool/cooldown for any situation.  They're easier to heal because the damage they take is predictible/static.  Warriors have self-healing mechanics and a higher HP.  They have rarely any cooldowns and currently, that is their biggest draw back.  However, said cooldowns arn't really required for 99% of the current content.  Warriors can also sustain themselves far longer than a pally.  Warriors self heals through Bloodbath, inner beast and Storm's Path (lesser extent) are better than Pally's cure from WHM.

Warriors are better for speed runs because of their AOE ability and higher damage.  They are also better when they outgear the content (Darklight geared warrior doing AK).   Warriors are better off tanks in MOST situations do to their aoe abilities and self-heals (inner beast).   Paladins are the PREFERRED off tanks in certain encounters due to their reliable stun (Chimera/ Ifrit's Eruptions).

With that said, I prefer Warrior because they are harder to play and have a higher skill cap.  It's very easy to see the different between a good warrior and a bad one.  Warriors have a unique mechanic from being in Defiance stance called Wrath.  You get Wrath stack each time you do certain abilities, or combos.  They cap out at 5 stacks.  EAch stack allows you to be healed for 3% more and it increases your crit chance by 2%. At 5 stacks you have 15% bonus healing and 10% chance to crit.  You can choose to strategically keep your stacks up for healing, or use them for either extra damage, healing through inner beast, or AOE damage via Steel Cyclone.   

My suggestion? Play the one you enjoy the most.  There are far more pally's right now than Warriors due to the prevalant misconception that pally's are "better" tanks.  That may be the case for coil turn 5 (0.000001%) of the game.  Warriors are better for most other things, especially fast dungeon runs and where your group has Relic+1 weapons and you need a very high enmity tank for SUPER DPS mode.

Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

DF community, just x_x

You should probably stop going to those fansites.  There is no question that the Warrior is by far the harder job to heal in any BCoB turn.  We aren't talking about sheer throughput, Warriors obviously buff that.  Even with fully decked Darklight, a Warrior will take upwards of 6k damage from the hardest Caduceus combo (not including Tail Swipe).  A paladin rarely take over 3k at the same gear level.

I will not bring a warrior to main tank anything BCoB.  It's too risky and their mitigation is just not there.  You want stability from your tank, not a massive HP that rockets from 80% to 20% in a couple of seconds.  Warriors are anything but stable.

For speed runs, yeah - maybe they have a slight edge.  Not that it's particularly noticeable.  I'd prefer the class that allows me, as a Scholar, to continuously DPS.  I'll drop more damage down than any Warrior.

They don't hold aggro better at all.  It's not worse and if there is any upside - it's unnecessary upside.  All you need from a tank is to hold aggro, not bomb aggro.

At no point in this game, under current patch settings, should a Warrior be preferred over a Paladin for a primary tanking role.  I do think there is a compelling argument to use them as offtanks.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Phry

FFXIV only has one tank choice at low level, and thats the Gladiator.

I have both Marauder and Gladiator at lv 31 and I've run all the dungeons up to Hauke mannor countless times with both. No idea what you mean by that. Actually I much more prefer tanking with marauder. There is no chance in hell any DPS or healer can take agro away from me on multiple ads. It almost never happens. Much easier time with it than the gladiator which is better at 1vs1. 

Now I've heard that at the endgame gladiator (paladin) becomes the only choice to tank but on lower lv marauder (warrior) is better IMO. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Why does no one play tanks in these types of games ? I've been waiting for over an hour for a group on my dps.

I just don't understand why more people don't play tank class , is it hard or something ?

Do you play a tank?

If the answer is not, then you answered your question (which is that everyone else expect someone else to play it).

Park your DPS and start a tank, you'll find an instant group and other player will thank you because they will get a group faster..........

On another note the reason why noone play a tank (in every MMO) is because nobody likes to be bollocked every 10 seconds and being told how to play the role (generally by people that don't want to play a tank)

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I love tanking but I quit FFXIV because IT is boring.  Too generic and simplistic.  When I was playing I never fully pugged as a tank even once.  I ran with 2 friends (healer and quality dps) and we almost always grabbed a 4th from our FC.

This question always comes up and the answer is always the same.

Most people are lazy and don't want any kind of responsibility, so they play dps.  Path of least resistance.  Ie, fewer people play tanks.  Healing involves a bit less responsibility and is easier than tanking so healers, while less common than dps, end up being more common than tanks.

Those that DO play tanks can be selective about who they run with and are less likely to PUG.  They belong to guilds, or have friends, and otherwise PUG a lot less, which amplifies the "tank shortage."  This makes sense because why would you want to group with the worst of the worst - the people who can only get groups thru duty finder - when you could instead hand pick your team or run with regulars?

Tools like dungeon finders/duty finder don't guarantee you'll get groups or do anything at all to change the tank to everything else ratio, they just enable you to EVENTUALLY get a group without having to spam for one endlessly.

I really don't see how anyone can say tanking is boring compared to the other roles.  How is dpsing not boring?  It's more relaxing, it's easier, but more interesting?  Um, no.  Tanks have to do so much more, know so much more, and the entire group experience hinges on or is affected by the quality of tank.  Tanking is by far the most involved role in grouping.  That's why less people do it - most people either can't handle it or don't want that much to do.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by ste2000

Do you play a tank?

If the answer is not, then you answered your question (which is that everyone else expect someone else to play it).

Park your DPS and start a tank, you'll find an instant group and other player will thank you because they will get a group faster..........

On another note the reason why noone play a tank (in every MMO) is because nobody likes to be bollocked every 10 seconds and being told how to play the role (generally by people that don't want to play a tank)

^this +1

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by ste2000

+100

And that comes from peop... idiots who play game by watching yt/twitch videos, reading guides, not even own single brain cell used to learn their class.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Voqar

I really don't see how anyone can say tanking is boring compared to the other roles.  How is dpsing not boring? 

Oh I agree. I consider the archer to be the most boring class on a dungeon. I basically just stay there behind with the healer and just spam the same skill rotation over and over again, maybe some red area triggers in my foots once in a while and I move to the side a bit. That's the most exiting part.

I usually lv those classes with FATEs and I'm levelling my tanks mostly with dungeon runs. 

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if I am repeating some but ; Plays DPS, bitches about no tanks, doesn't just become a fucking tank and quit bitching. 10/10

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Yeah, I don't get it. I see a shit TON of Paladins everywhere I go.. So much so that it actually turned me off from making one. Yet it still takes forever to find one for a group on the duty finder. I try not to use that thing in the first place. I can usually get a group going with folks from my FC.
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

< Tank.

Playing Skyrim. Less time consuming, more fun, MUCH better community (AI), better combat (heavily modded).

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by apocoluster

My IS-7 is in the shop 

right now getting detailed had a bad dust up at

Malinovka. =)

lol awesome. I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    It's pretty obvious that a 1:1:2 tank:heal:dps ratio is nowhere close to representative of the actual breakdown of player roles, yet that's what FFXIV requires of its players.  They expect 25% of players to be tanks.  Good luck with that.
    Originally posted by Homitu
    It's pretty obvious that a 1:1:2 tank:heal:dps ratio is nowhere close to representative of the actual breakdown of player roles, yet that's what FFXIV requires of its players.  They expect 25% of players to be tanks.  Good luck with that.

No luck required.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000506.html

Don't let your ignorance show too much.