Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: Uprising Dusts off DUST

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Uprising 1.5, the largest and most comprehensive patch since DUST 514 debuted last year, has made a lot of players very happy. We check in with Atli Mar Sveinsson to find out more about the changes brought about with Uprising and a lot more. Keep reading and then leave your impressions in the comments.

MMORPG: Has the player feedback been a big part of the changes in Uprising 1.5?

Atli Mar Sveinsson: Player feedback is hugely important in our iterative development cycle - we’re listening to what our community is saying and trying to address it in individual all of our updates.’

Read more of Garrett Fuller's DUST 514: Uprising Dusts Off DUST.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Is there alot of chatter about bailing on Dust or something? It seems like whenever I catch up my Dust 514 news the persuasive tendency of the conversation is geared toward Dust 514's ability to be sustainable.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    @rockniss its because the game is considered an extremely generic shooter. Its an fps and gunplay feels terrible. Its also pay to win. I could be wrong but despite continued development it seems like a bust.

Steam: Neph

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    @rockniss its because the game is considered an extremely generic shooter. Its an fps and gunplay feels terrible. Its also pay to win. I could be wrong but despite continued development it seems like a bust.

The game is no and never has been pay to win. The best gear in the game can only be bought with in game currency.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    It may be a generic shooter, but isn't it sort of for eve players? I get the feeling eve players playing dust are not playing for the fps gameplay, but rather for the eve connection. Furthermore, what kind of expectation would an eve player have when it comes to shooters? How many eve players are there? How many are about to pick up a ps3 for dirt cheap on ebay for the sole purpose of playing eve? I think as long as the eve community wants to keep dust around it will be a nice addition. I think as long as dev expectations are on par with reality, this game will be around for a while. It also has the hardcore player base that allows for pay to win to exist.
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

Despite what some of the game's hardcore fans may claim, the game is Pay2Win. You can purchase from the start, weapons, armor, etc that give a real tangible advantage that is permanent. Such as ultra tier gear that never runs out and requires no training time to use.

The game just does a better job of fooling fools into not noticing the pay2win aspects.

I used to like CCP before moniclegate and CEO revealed himself to be satan incarnate. But I can still admit that Eve is a great niche game, where as DUST is a considerable failure. And not even a PC release would likely have let it survive. The game will be shut down likely within a year or less. My guess is not even six months.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Why does mmorpg.com write a story on Dust514??? This makes no sense, if the title was on the pc I may understand, but the majority of EVE players are still mad because Dust came out on ps3 with no pc version......they do realize 100% of their player base of EVE in on a PC right???

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by drtack1

Why does mmorpg.com write a story on Dust514??? This makes no sense, if the title was on the pc I may understand, but the majority of EVE players are still mad because Dust came out on ps3 with no pc version......they do realize 100% of their player base of EVE in on a PC right???

Not sure but i think Dust is technically an MMOFPS, although i might be completely wrong. But yes, Eve Online's players are mostly hardcore PC users, there are a few, and if you count the number that play Dust 514 on the PS3 as a fair sized sampling, a very small percentage of the Eve player base, has a PS3 and also plays Dust. The corp i am in has about 40'ish members i think, 1 of them is a Dust player, not sure how many of them have PS3's though? The trouble is that for whatever Dust does well, Planetside 2 does a hell of a lot better, and its on the PC, and F2P or at least a F2P/P2P hybrid. Another factor is that there is not really any impact from Dust on Eve itself, last i checked the only influence Eve had on Dust was you could use a ship to carry out orbital strikes, so interaction is pretty much one sided, and fairly pointless, at least from the point of view of the Eve player image

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by drtack1

You're thinking as if DUST was some kind of expansion for EVE.  It isn't and never was.

DUST was CCPs attempt to diversify their company into console gaming.  They decided to try to develop a console based shooter and then decided that since they already had the EVE fiction in place they would set the shooter they were already making in the EVE universe.

Sometime further down the road someone suggested trying to tie the two games together, mainly because CCP operates from the "can we even do that?" realm more often than not.

CCP had no desire to see EVE players also playing DUST.  It was always about broadening their market base.  Whether they were successful in that is a separate subject and one can easily argue that PS2 came along and ate their lunch, but at the end of the day DUST should be viewed as if it were a completely separate game that happened to be produced by CCP because that was their whole reason for doing it in the first place.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by Tierless
    If this would have launched on PC it might of had a shot.
    No, not at all.

Dust is a bad game at its core, being on PC would not have changed that.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Despite what some of the game's hardcore fans may claim, the game is Pay2Win. You can purchase from the start, weapons, armor, etc that give a real tangible advantage that is permanent. Such as ultra tier gear that never runs out and requires no training time to use.

What are the ultra tier items you are referring to?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    I would love, just love, if this game would be on my PC/. I like the concept between Eve and Dust 514. The Dust 514 forums are very active and the Devs really interact with the community. The game has much potential to grow in content outside of the lobby into Eve. I just feel very strongly that this community would grow with a PC client. The entire concept that the technology that CCP is built upon is one massive integration of databases. They absolutely rock on the code and art side. Crank it all the way up CCP! 
  • carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86

CCP does not listen to the community ! Every eve player has been screaming for Months :

GET DUST ON PC !!!!! 

No ccp does not care , this is evident. !

Just wait for star citizen , and eve valkery and dust will suddenly appear on pc !! otherwise CCP is screwed !

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm still intrigued to see what CCP will do in the coming years with the DUST/EVE integration.

Make no mistake, DUST514 is not shutting down soon. CCP know the value in growing things slowly and steadily. It's how they got to be where they are, and they seem to be very comfortable in their space (pun intended).

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Make no mistake, DUST514 is not shutting down soon. CCP know the value in growing things slowly and steadily.

CCP knows nothing, it is only  your imagination . What you have after 4 years development  ? Crap named Dust and this is with most known and used game engine . CCP once got lucky with  eve and have fun of a competition free market but FPS is not  free ride and CCP cant get away with eve grade crap ( = half baked ) , they cant put a broken FPS and hope people to come .

Making a 16* 16 lobby shooter with serious FPS problems on a console is not knowing value , it is idiotic . Do you know MAG at PS3 ,how many players could play ?

Do you know why players give memorandum to CCP https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=101452&  find=unread   .What did CCP do when their Lead designer leaved  ( when people learned they are looking for new one  they removed job details  , how funny ) ? Hired a guy from EA F2P division for marketing  ,hide their head in the sand etc etc .

''However, the most dangerous problems have not been fully recognized nor appreciated, despite constant calls for improvement from the community for almost two years. A lack of trust between the developers and the community continues to stand between Dust 514 and its full potential. A lack of communication also persists, and has at least been briefly acknowledged as 'something to improve on' multiple times by everyone we've approached in management. Sadly though, these acknowledgements come with only with the faintest hint of understanding pertaining to the severity of these problems.''

And this interview sounds like  CCP commercial ,no questions about terrible situation , nothing .

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82

i like this game a lot - one thing i like about it is that it takes the risk vs reward path of eve.  sure, you can buy a good dropsuit and weapon, for very reasonable prices, but really the bonuses compared to the very affordable ingame cash are Very small and a  good player still wins every time.  

unlike most other fps, in dust you really put your chips on the table every time you spawn.  when you die, you lose that money.  when you kill someone, you destroy that set of theirs.  i really like this element of the game, rather than just 'respawn respawn respawn' over and over, it adds some depth.  also the vehicles play well and the guns feel good, to me at least.  i especially like the heavy machine gun.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Is there alot of chatter about bailing on Dust or something? It seems like whenever I catch up my Dust 514 news the persuasive tendency of the conversation is geared toward Dust 514's ability to be sustainable.

CCP launched it on the PS3, they dont want any EVE subscribers stop paying and play Dust instead.

Slight flaw in their tactics is that many PS3 players have never heard of EVE Online, so they dont see the unique link to that game and don't have any connection to the brand.

Another flaw is that in order to get the shooter fans play this game you have to offer something else besides the link to EVE, like delivering a good and fun shooter. And that's where they failed.

There are tons of better shooters out there. So what happens is that only the EVE players that own a PS3 play DUST. The rest keeps playing Halo, BF, COD and the likes because they are more fun, polished and better coded.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

well, i will disagree

i think the new CoD and BF is just to fluffy 

i prefer competitive shooter like CS 

DUST has a feel i really like because it reminds me of the original SOCOM and SOCOM 2 games, where aiming and movement skill are very important in deciding outcomes

the last good CoD for MP was WaW on hardcore S&D IMO

the coding is fine.. maybe its not for everyone, but its doing fine right now, and i think its great

plus when you get a good double or triple kill or win a close fight in dust you really get a good rush and feel satisfaction.  you dont really get this feeling from playing cod and bf in my opinion.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

What are the ultra tier items you are referring to?

He's confusing the 'experimental' high meta-level equipment with Blue Print equipment

experimental gear requires almost maximum tier skill unlocks, and is consumable, because it's equipment

militia gear requires no training at all, and is also consumable

BP's are militia grade equips, that never consume. it is these Blue Prints that are purchase via the store.

in short, he's making broad negative comments about a game that he's never played, or has a clue about.

as for the comparison with PS2 on the PC, you play PS2 you gotta deal with the aim-botters and ESP users (and there are a LOT of ESP users), that is the major downfall of any pc based fps game, people like to win, so they WILL cheat to do so, and there are no aim/esp hacks for the ps.

and yes I play both DUST514 and PS2. and eve.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I think that if Dust was on the PC, EVE players would then use downtime and slow times in space to switch between the 2.

Plus can you imagine the clans that would get involved with it if it ran on steam as well?

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

The game just does a better job of fooling fools into not noticing the pay2win aspects.

I used to like CCP before moniclegate and CEO revealed himself to be satan incarnate. But I can still admit that Eve is a great niche game, where as DUST is a considerable failure. And not even a PC release would likely have let it survive. The game will be shut down likely within a year or less. My guess is not even six months.

+1

Asbo

our last dance ended fatally
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

For those who want Dust on a PC... grab your USB-keyboard and mouse and plug it into your PS3: it just plays like on a PC, but without the heavy amount of cheating (aimbots, wallhacks, speedhacks, etc) and without any hardware-advantages from $2000 gaming-rigs.

And for the cashshop and P2W. You people seriously have never played Dust514 apparently, because the items from the cashshop don't make you any stronger than others. It's just more convenient, if you don't want to spend a few hours to make some ingame cash.

Dust514 isn't perfect, but it's actually quiet good.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Minsc
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

The game is no and never has been pay to win. The best gear in the game can only be bought with in game currency.

I agree, it is not pay to win, but veterans have a HUGE edge.  So much so that players starting out many times just give up.  Not the way an FPS should be designed.  If you ask me the update does not change a thing, it is still a horrible design, especially since it is locked on the PS3 where there are far better shooters to compete with.

there is hardly a huge advantage, u talking mostly a diverse set of roles u can fill,  +6% damage per shot and +20% reload speed with each one, all worth working to but hardly unbalancing.  lots of players probably get smoked and blame it on the system - its not for everyone.