Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you quit mmos?

Comments

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

All Raiding Games: It got to the point where I enjoyed the challenge of the boss fights and having to coordinate and push push push week after week to try and finished before reset, but no longer wanted to gear treadmill. I just don't like the gear treadmill. Nothing wrong with cool gear that you have to work for, I just don't want to run a single $%&&ing dungeon 50 times so people will "Accept" me into their raid because quote "You'll just get one shot or slow us down in that gear".

Exceptions:

EQ: Gear not AS important because of lax raid sizes. A lot of gear tradable, I remember soloing most of my Coldain quest on my SK when that quest was clearly meant for a large group. Love Feign Death ^^

WoW: Gear easier to farm, offered hard-mode stuff for the win - still too much treadmill for a 60+ hour work week.

GW2: So gear is basically "How do you want your character to be statted" rather than "ZOMG FARM TIEM", but then has literally zero things to use it on. Liadri was a GREAT challenge... nothing else.

FFXIV: Most fun I've had in a game in a long time, let my trial run out because after 30 AK/CM/WP runs across 4 weeks... I'm sick of it, I still have like 20 left to finish my set. F that.

All PvP Games: This one is easy, they typically drastically change a class mechanic I really like and I don't have fun with that character anymore.

WoW: Was a Gladiator Elemental Mage, they streamlined Elemental too much for me to actually do what I used to do and couple that with the Ice Block nerf and I'm kinda... over it.

LoL: Not an MMO, but still to this day fits my MMO PvP fix. No game has come close to it.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

The last 15 years i have played most of your list's mmo's, plus a lot of WoW :) Now i m playing Path of Exile, waiting for EQ Next and ArcheAge to launch.

Some of the games i played:

LineAge - Great game, had a lot of fun back then.

EQ - Excellent. Bored it after a long time

EQ2 - Nice but not as good as original

GW1 - Very good. Played a lot as a second game, when i was not raiding in my main one

GW2 - Had higher expectations as a GW1 fan and years of waiting. Not even log in anymore.

TERA - Nice graphics but root in place and non tab target is not of my taste

Aion - Never liked it much. I cant say why...

Conan - Very promising but something was missing

SWTOR - Empty feeling world, too many loading screens and many other things i don't like. Huge disappointment.

EvE - One of my favorites. Still playing.

RIFT - Excellent, still playing a bit, but the bad performance if the client is a drawback for me.

WoW - After more than 9.000 xfire hours i think its enough...

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

The level up pace become so slow cause by heavy grind (mobs or quests) > quit

No more interest things to keep playing or no more challenge left > quit

Real life problem > quit

Friends quit or move > quit (this case only when i ready clean the game and still play because of friends)

• sherlockiamasherlockiama Member Posts: 4

I haven't played most of the games mentioned in this thread, because they aren't what I was looking for.

I Played City of Heroes/Villains for most of its existence and loved every minute of it, and was extremely ticked off when NCSoft decided to take it down permanently, for no good reason I could find.

I tried WoW while I was playing CoH/CoV because my brother had left CoH for WoW, but I didn't find WoW to be as interesting as CoH honestly.

Since CoH closed I have tired others:

DDO: too much grinding to get levels and few friendly players

Wizard 101: it became boring after the initial fun of it

Champions OL: It had some of the appeal of CoH/CoV but something was missing.

I know same complaints as most people but I had fun playing CoH/CoV even after 6+ years playing it, and nothing else has come close to that.

The search for something to play continues.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    How about i just get bored of them after a while ?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sherlockiama

I Played City of Heroes/Villains for most of its existence and loved every minute of it, and was extremely ticked off when NCSoft decided to take it down permanently, for no good reason I could find.

Champions OL: It had some of the appeal of CoH/CoV but something was missing.

I know same complaints as most people but I had fun playing CoH/CoV even after 6+ years playing it, and nothing else has come close to that.

you may have interest in the super hero mmo kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

TL:DR

MMORPG.com is not a place for any actual discussion, but instead for threads overly praising or overly hating on any given title and then yelling at all those who disagree.

Essentially accurate. Sometimes we choose a sub-genre sub-in for a specific title. Or even a broad appeal-to-novelty argument, or even a specific game feature ("if it doesn't have crafting it teh sux").

• tsaweeostsaweeos Member UncommonPosts: 4

The reason I quit playing mmorpg's is because I played with friends. We played D&D: Neverwinter together and communicated over skype. The combat was quite fun but their hardcore, power-leveling attitude killed it for me.

When turning in quests I would take a quick moment to look at my choice of rewards. My friends would just click whatever whilst accepting new quests and move on. I don't blame them for this mind you. I realize now that most side-quest rewards are junk but the fact that they would often shout "Hurry up!" as they ran ahead was annoying.

"Hold on I've got a full inventory." I would often reply as I run to a near by seller/vendor. (I like to see which high level armour or weapons I would like to keep, and sell off the rest.)

"Soo slow!" They would groan as they waited at a portal to a new dungeon or location ( I think party members had to be together before traveling to new places in that game).

They couldn't even give me five minutes to look at my skill tree to see how I could level my character. I would always have to keep up with them and at higher levels, get weaker because I couldn't properly level my character. I would just dump the points randomly and move on. (It turns out you're supposed to plan out your character in advance by looking at online skill tree generators before even downloading the game because that's how hardcore MMO players do.)

(Not that it mattered because I always seem to role-play my character wrong in a RPG and have to follow another person's build. You should've seen my first character in Diablo 2 it was a mess of AoE damage with little attack/defense.)

I would take a break and eat something, maybe watch an episode or two of a show (I'm not spending an entire day playing one game), jump back on to see them levels ahead. I don't blame them for playing ahead of me in a game they're excited to play. It's their leisure time and I respect that. Plus I knew I would have to catch up to them every time I wanted to take a break but again they would tell me to "catch up" while still leveling ahead of me, doing new quests.

By day three, they're running around on horses. I don't yet have enough gold to buy one. They're still levels ahead of me but they were feeling generous and went back to help me level but at this stage in the game, the side quests are spread across the map to encourage you to buy mounts. Again they would tell me to "Hurry up", blazing past me as they rub it in my face that I don't yet have a mount. "See look I'm already at the other side of the npc."

At this point they're just trolling my slowness and not being serious about it. By day 4 or 5 they completely lost interest in playing the game, saying it was boring (One of them went back to WoW).

Their fast-paced attitude made me realize MMORPG's just weren't worth my time. They had a fucking personality change whenever we got in game.

[Insert roid-rage voice here] "UGHH MAX LEVEL MAX GEAR SON!"

"Hey guys could you wait for a sec while I-"

"NO! MAX LEVEL MAX GEAR!".

I don't care about hitting level cap to prove that I'm a hero of a made up land.

I don't care about making my avatar look unique among other players (see this http://mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/7693/MMORPGComic-Immersion.html)

Even when you get high level or "end game" gear, mobs at the same level or higher will still do a lot of damage to you to the point where you get killed in one or two hits. I know that players want a challenge but it comes at the cost of making you feel like you never get stronger over the course of the adventure.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I played most of the AAA MMOs and some others.  Being an old fart (68 yrs old now) none of my friends play video games.  when I first started playing with EQ I and UO the communities were good overall.  Then as the years went by the communities became downright disgusting.

Joined a lot of guilds but got tired of the guild chatter where all that was mentioned was, your mother, how many sexual conquests the members had, and so on.

Now like others I just play single player games.  I really miss the way it used to be.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Sure .. tedium is subjective.

For me,

- too easy or too hard. Perfect solution is D3 difficulty slider. I may even change what "too easy" or "too difficult" means depending on my mood. In general, i don't want to practice 3 hours before beating a boss/level. It is not that i cannot do it (i was in a raid guild before) but all the fun is gone if i waste hours practicing for an artificial challenge.

- Going from point A to B (without conflict, or combat) is definitely tedious for me. I hit the "fast travel" button whenever i can. If a game requires too much of it (like 10 min), i move on.

- Down-time is a no-no. Anytime i am not doing anything related to game mechanics (like i can only chat, or look passively), it is tedious.

Thanks, nariusseldon. Good points and clarifications :)

His tedium is my game play, I like travel, consider it a strategic element in a title like EVE and down time is the place where my group and I recover our timers, discuss what went right vs wrong in the last fight and the strategy for the next one.

Assuming your game has a need for strategy.

Not into sliders, set the world to one level of difficulty, and let people deal/master it.  Or not.  We don't always need to succeed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Kyleran

For me,

- too easy or too hard. Perfect solution is D3 difficulty slider. I may even change what "too easy" or "too difficult" means depending on my mood. In general, i don't want to practice 3 hours before beating a boss/level. It is not that i cannot do it (i was in a raid guild before) but all the fun is gone if i waste hours practicing for an artificial challenge.

- Going from point A to B (without conflict, or combat) is definitely tedious for me. I hit the "fast travel" button whenever i can. If a game requires too much of it (like 10 min), i move on.

- Down-time is a no-no. Anytime i am not doing anything related to game mechanics (like i can only chat, or look passively), it is tedious.

His tedium is my game play, I like travel, consider it a strategic element in a title like EVE and down time is the place where my group and I recover our timers, discuss what went right vs wrong in the last fight and the strategy for the next one.

Not into sliders, set the world to one level of difficulty, and let people deal/master it.  Or not.  We don't always need to succeed.

I feel exactly the same way. A lot of this "tedium" adds so much to these games as you have demonstrated in one quick sentence

And as to difficulty sliders, my god they have no place in an MMO. That kind of feature is better suited to single player/smaller scale games. Everyone should be in the same boat as we're all sharing the same game world. Sliders just cheapen the entire MMO experience, and I simply move on when I see such a feature.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I'm very disappointed that these games being built on computers are more simplistic than the games we used to play on sheets of paper. There is so much untapped potential out there and all we get is another way to skin WoW over and over. Why hasn't someone added a more realistic wound system. Why don't we have more randomized content. Why don't spawn locations move around. Why hasn't anyone made a crafting system that mattered in years now etc. We have just got nothing but dreck for years now.

Why are the item systems so bland. Take GW2 for an example. Why not give each weapon a prefix and suffix and have each one give you a different skill. Allow an artificer to add one skill to a weapon etc. Now instead of every Engineer walking around with the same pistol skills you have one using a vorpal pistol of dragon slaying enchanted with firestorm. He has 3 skills that might be different than the next guy. He can get the same exact drop multiple times and have them be different than each other. Why do we still have items that are just +10 to 4 stats. It makes no sense at all.

Generally speaking I quit because something else came out or I just got bored. I get bored a lot faster these days since every new MMORPG I play feels like I've already played it before. There just is no innovation going on at all.

I'm playing GW2 right now just because it is the highest quality title out there but it still is more of the same with a few extra bells and whistles.

My big hope right now is on EQ Next actually pulling off some of what they say they are going to or that Star Citizen is good.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

In my case the reasons are very diverse.. But mostly stupid reasons

I would agree!
  • RuienRuien Member Posts: 39

Heres my reasons...

Loss of challenge. Either the game gets dumbed down or I have done the content multiple times.

Other players. Take GW2 for example. When it launched, my 4 friends and I got the dungeon title in 2 weeks. We did it by completing every dungeon the way the devs obviously ment them to be completed. We didnt skip mobs or do some stupid exploit. The "masses" got to the dungeons and exploit them in every way possible. Skipping mobs, getting up on rocks so the boss cant hit you, going thru walls etc. You can not join a dungeon in GW2 and run it correctly. Everyone cheats. Its the mindset of todays "gamers".

Frankly, the MMO industry as a whole has sickened me. I was on my way out after 15+ years when I found star citizen.

• ViriilinkViriilink Member UncommonPosts: 1

Runescape Classic - Switch to DAOC.

DAOC - I switched to Runescape 2.

Runescape 2 -  Got 99 mining and didn't know what to do after.

Lineage 2 - The MMORPG community I was playing with switched to Guild Wars.

Everquest(PS2) - Friends quit, or rarely got on.

Guild Wars - Community switched to Perfect World International.

Perfect World International - Too many cash shop events and switched to DWO(JP).

Dynasty Warriors Online(JP) - Switched to Aeria's Dynasty Warriors Online.

Vindictus - Accomplished all my solo goals as hammer Fiona. Have thoughts of coming back and making a Vella.

Dynasty Warriors Online(Aeria) - Too much AP events

Rusty Hearts - I didn't really quit, but  forgot about it when upgraded from XP to 7.

C9(KR) - Cash shop items that took skill out of game.

Aion - Patch 3.0

My main reason for not playing, or quitting MMOs is because I mostly play F2P MMOs and NA/INT publishers can't be trusted. The publishers would kill the games by pushing cash shop too early, or quickly. Either by adding OP items too quickly, or constant cash shop events. Thus, giving the republish game a shorter life span than the original release.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

For me,

I quit MMO's because they changed into something I no longer enjoy playing.  Pretty much what Kyleran pointed out is what I miss from the games and have been hard pressed to find.

I would go back to some of the older games that I used to play and enjoyed but I left them due to game changes that I did not agree with.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• BrueskieBrueskie Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Death of tight-knight server communities.
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

like many here, they stopped being fun. having said that, i made it to every endgame possible, and basically won eve as far as a single player  could get., but still, in the end, it got stale. 

there are a few games coming out in the new year i am looking forward to, and in the meantime, i've started my 4 year off in a fine fashion,  hes a fine partner allready playing a tank to my mage in diablo3 on the console :)

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Sure .. tedium is subjective.For me,- too easy or too hard. Perfect solution is D3 difficulty slider. I may even change what "too easy" or "too difficult" means depending on my mood. In general, i don't want to practice 3 hours before beating a boss/level. It is not that i cannot do it (i was in a raid guild before) but all the fun is gone if i waste hours practicing for an artificial challenge.- Going from point A to B (without conflict, or combat) is definitely tedious for me. I hit the "fast travel" button whenever i can. If a game requires too much of it (like 10 min), i move on.- Down-time is a no-no. Anytime i am not doing anything related to game mechanics (like i can only chat, or look passively), it is tedious.
    His tedium is my game play, I like travel, consider it a strategic element in a title like EVE and down time is the place where my group and I recover our timers, discuss what went right vs wrong in the last fight and the strategy for the next one.Assuming your game has a need for strategy.Not into sliders, set the world to one level of difficulty, and let people deal/master it.  Or not.  We don't always need to succeed.
    I agree, to probably no one's surprise :)

That's why I am a big proponent of smaller scope MMOs that target specific audiences instead of "trying" to please them all.

Sliders is a single player game mechanic. When in groups, sliders make a difference, though I did enjoy CoH's use of them for the indoor (instanced) missions. But then, it was a group decision. Would not work with today's self-centered playerbase. Nobody else cares if I play D3 or Skyrim on easy or ultra-hard mode. They would care if they grouped with me in an MMO.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

For me,

And you gameplay is my tedium. Good, we have established that we probably won't play the same games.

No, we don't need to succeed. We want to. That is human nature. And good entertainment gives us what we want. Otherwise, what is the point. Can you imagine playing a game that you will never kill the boss? I won't play such a game.

Sliders is a single player game mechanic. When in groups, sliders make a difference, though I did enjoy CoH's use of them for the indoor (instanced) missions. But then, it was a group decision. Would not work with today's self-centered playerbase. Nobody else cares if I play D3 or Skyrim on easy or ultra-hard mode. They would care if they grouped with me in an MMO.

Hmm .. they would. You have the same difficulty level in a D3 group game.

Originally posted by Cecropia

And as to difficulty sliders, my god they have no place in an MMO. That kind of feature is better suited to single player/smaller scale games. Everyone should be in the same boat as we're all sharing the same game world. Sliders just cheapen the entire MMO experience, and I simply move on when I see such a feature.

MMORPGs are small scale games when you are in an instance. In fact, difficulty sliders are already used in instances in many MMOs.

You don't like it ... i get that. Don't assume your preference is the holy word.

Why should everyone in the same boat all sharing the same game world if that is not fun? Obviously some like their game more challenging than others. It is not like players are not already segregated in instances.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Hmm .. they would. You have the same difficulty level in a D3 group game.
    Can a player who has done the easy mode only group with a player on nightmare mode?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• spengosspengos Member Posts: 9

In no particular order:

WoW - Bored of the world, seen it all. It's a fantastic game and anyone who hasn't tried it needs to. But I'm done with it.

EQ2 - Was never as good as WoW, and now it's F2P it just seems dated and the UI is ugly.

AoC - Loved this game when it came out. Got to around lvl 60 but the latter content in the game was a buggy mess on launch. Went back when the game went F2P but realised it's a fairly boring game

Aion - Seemed great at first but then became a real grind around lvl 30. I don't particularly like the art style. The flying with wings thing(and only in certain places) was also a bit dumb

GW2 - Almost perfect but the level scaling is both a great idea and a terrible one. Unfortunately for me it's more terrible than great. If i'm honest the combat also gets old after a while. Too simple maybe?

LotRO - Such a dull game. I really want to like this as I love the IP, but the game is just so boring.

Vanguard - Has a lot of great concepts and deep gameplay but it looks dated and no one plays it, despite everyone recommending it!

Tera - Don't like the art style. Questing is boring

Rift - Great game but the world is boring. Nothing memorable about the zones. 

Neverwinter - Hate the instancing and linear feel. If this was an open world game it would be amazing

Swtor - Fun while it lasted. Not much to do end game. Linear questing and progression

FFXIV - Hate the art style. Still feel awkward to play. The game is crying out for some voice acting.

Allods Online - Currently playing this. Visually its exactly like WoW although slightly better quality graphics. Controls need tightening up but other than that it seems decent. Very pretty game!

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

WoW: bored to death. Horrible community

EQ2: Got boring before end game.

EQ1: When you couldn't find a Group you couldn't play. Semi nice community.

Daoc: buffbots sucks and too elitish unfrinedly playerbase. US players racist to EU's..

Lotro: Gets boring before endgame.

DDO: It sucks big time, instanced zones and laughable combat.

Tera: Played it for a couple of hours. Sucks mega.

Eve online: Traveling takes forever and learning curve is steep.

Lineage2: Buy adena or suck

TSW: Graphics sucks they look dated for a new game and combat is messed up. The investigation quests sucks.

GW2: At lvl 13 couldn't find any more quest areas and the lvl 16 quests area was too hard. Mega failure.

Warhammer: The pve was boring and the pvp unbalanced. Horrible player community.

SWG: Bland Worlds and 0 players.

SWTOR: Extrememly boring and cliche for a SW game. Tries to be WoW with the movies but combat and movement sucks. Stories are dull and cliche.

AO: WTF is this??

Any asian MMORPG: Dull grindfest and buy helpfulll exp buffs in store for $$.

Rift: Horrible horrible Graphics and silly World. Rifts are laughable. the character models looks like they need some slapping.