Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else happy with the MMORPG genre?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

At least the WOW killer didn't happen so I could go back to WOW and enjoy PvP. I did save a lot of $ by not being attracted to new MMORPG since DCUO (January 2011, for $35 with promo).

WOW did bleed subs and it was a wake up call. Now they fighting to keep the remaining subs at all cost, which is a good thing.

I also believe there won't be another Pandaria, Narnia or any new expansion with another big dragon to slay unless Blizzard is truly suicidal.

Paying $15 for PvP is obvioslly a ripoff, but Blizzard deserves it for the MMORPG they created and maintained and they are still improving it. They abandoned "Titan" and are focused on WOW more than ever in my opinion. With directx 11 enabled and SSAO the graphics look as good if not better than modern MMORPG's.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the state of the MMORPG genre. Bad MMORPG's dying and good ones remaining and improving, nothing new here. Now at least they are dying quicker than ever as the MMORPG market becomes more experienced with the genre.

Only MMORPG that captures my attention right now is Star Citizen (mainly based on word of mouth, but with it's budget it won't be the next WOW). Everything else like Everquest Next (which I really hope for the best) will flop hard for not truly understanding the concept of sandbox with the way its combat is designed.

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Are you happy with WoW or are you happy with the genre?

As to the question yes I am happy with the genre. So many more games than star citizen that have my interest too.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I log into an mmo almost every day and play with friends. I'm not unhappy with the genre and don't think it's near as bad as ppl on this site seem to think.

Happy with it though ? Hard to say. Some games yes...most no. It's more  matter of picking the right ones for me instead of the old days when they were all good games for gamers.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

^^ Also seems like it's just WoW that you're happy with. If it's the genre in general, you're a rarity (At least on this site). I think it's just you and Nariusseldon at this point.  I'm not happy with the longevity of current/recent releases. I am still waiting for a MMORPG that will keep me occupied for years that I find appealing. 

Hopefully the genre starts moving more towards long-term and social (Forced) games and I will once again be happy with the genre.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    How can you be a fan of Xenogears and WoW? ><
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I'm never happy.

As for MMOs, so-so. The genre has a long ways to go and many developers still need to experiment until they find the mechanics that capitalize on the potential of the MMO framework.

I remain fascinated by the genre, but it's still in large due to it's potential rather than it's reality. It's nice to see that some titles are reaching towards providing a more novel experience, but like the past has shown us, we need to see such things implemented and in action to see if they have been executed properly or are a flop.

So plenty of hope, but always at arms reach.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Magiknight

The same way I like both peanut butter and crab cakes.  

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Avarix

^^ Also seems like it's just WoW that you're happy with. If it's the genre in general, you're a rarity (At least on this site). I think it's just you and Nariusseldon at this point.  I'm not happy with the longevity of current/recent releases. I am still waiting for a MMORPG that will keep me occupied for years that I find appealing. 

Hopefully the genre starts moving more towards long-term and social (Forced) games and I will once again be happy with the genre.

Well that's either very rude or very perceptive. You acknowledge you read my post in your first sentence than you mention the OP and someone who hasn't even chimed in yet as the only people on this site that are happy with it despite me clearly saying otherwise. In fairness though I am only really happy with trends, there seems to be more diversity on the horizon and that's what I am happy about more so than current games. I'm still waiting for the same thing you are.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Homitu

That's so wrong. YOU'RE so wrong!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Homitu

How is it on toast?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I still play them because they are my favorite type of game. The MMORPG genre itself is just awful right now. A bunch of WoW clones with stale concepts that largely flopped. Glad to see a new wave is at least attempting to do something different, hopefully some of them are good.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    no

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I am. Enjoying Swtor and gw2 mmo wise atm.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I guess the enjoyment one receives from a game is unique to them, meaning to each his or her own. But, that being said I can say for my part I expected much more in terms of advancement in the field. WoW set the stage and the standard by which everyone should have tried to surpass, yet sadly when the day was done, mind you ten years later or so, not much has changed. Don't blame WoW, blame those who went after fast money. 
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Am I happy with mainstream WoW clones? Absolutely NOT. However, there are a few niche titles that are very good and keep me interested in the gaming industry. People tend to get too wrapped up in the negativity that comes with the hype + letdown cycle of big budget games. The smart thing to do is ignore those over hyped games and focus on finding games that are actually good. Currently I am playing Vindictus and Neverwinter because I think these games are good. Some people think those are bad games but that is not my problem because I don't let their opinion affect me.

I have been playing MMORPGs since the late 90s and I am having as much fun now as the good old days.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I am happy that many gamers are happy with the genre. Personally... No, not happy.

I do not see it changing anytime soon because of the 500+ MMOs listed on this site alone, all of them are making enough to stay running every month. If they were not, they would be closing down left and right. I see this as providing a lack of incentive to drastically change anything.

MMO publishers are comfy right where they are.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• baddog66baddog66 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I think the behavior and language of many mmo players is getting worse. Many games have left this moderation unchecked and unchallenged and this is a mistake in my opinion. It has many players turning off broadcast chat channels out of disgust with the foul nature of the chat and that isn't helpful when the goal os most mmo's to to meet more and group more. BTW  this is not part of the mmo genre and we do not have to accept foul language and behavior on a wide scale. That is just an easy answer for many people sadly. This is just my opinion and what I observed from many of my guildies as well over the years.

GRIND DOES NOT EQUAL MAKING A GAME CHALLENGING!! YES I AM YELLING LOL

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Kopogero

At least the WOW killer didn't happen so I could go back to WOW and enjoy PvP. I did save a lot of $ by not being attracted to new MMORPG since DCUO (January 2011, for $35 with promo).

WOW did bleed subs and it was a wake up call. Now they fighting to keep the remaining subs at all cost, which is a good thing.

I also believe there won't be another Pandaria, Narnia or any new expansion with another big dragon to slay unless Blizzard is truly suicidal.

Paying $15 for PvP is obvioslly a ripoff, but Blizzard deserves it for the MMORPG they created and maintained and they are still improving it. They abandoned "Titan" and are focused on WOW more than ever in my opinion. With directx 11 enabled and SSAO the graphics look as good if not better than modern MMORPG's.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the state of the MMORPG genre. Bad MMORPG's dying and good ones remaining and improving, nothing new here. Now at least they are dying quicker than ever as the MMORPG market becomes more experienced with the genre.

Only MMORPG that captures my attention right now is Star Citizen (mainly based on word of mouth, but with it's budget it won't be the next WOW). Everything else like Everquest Next (which I really hope for the best) will flop hard for not truly understanding the concept of sandbox with the way its combat is designed.

Have you tried Dark Age of Camelot ? If faction vs faction fighting is your "thing".14 day free trial so no risk.

• EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Deivos

I'm never happy.

I remain fascinated by the genre, but it's still in large due to it's potential rather than it's reality.

these parts.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I disagree that MMORPGs are dying faster then ever. F2P scheme allows MMORPGs to survive longer then they would if they required all customers to pay for admission.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

I remain fascinated by the genre, but it's still in large due to it's potential rather than it's reality.

Thousands of players sharing a virtual, persistent online game environment. It's such an open idea that this genre should be bursting with wonderfully diverse interpretations. It's hard not to remain fascinated by the potential and equally hard - if you have even a little imagination - not to be disappointed by the present reality. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I suppose I am. I'm more of a RPG fan than a MMO fan, so my requirements may be on the low side. GW2 is a good game, even if I don't agree with some of ANet's direction, and EQN and ArcheAge look quite interesting.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

No, i am not happy with the MMO genre. I am not sympathetic with the direction MMOs have been heading since EQ and even more WoW. Maybe games like Star Citizen, EQNext, Camelot Unchained and a few others, which try to head in another direction may bring some enjoyment into MMOs once again.

The advantage of all this? I play a lot more Singleplayer and Multiplayer Games nowadays in comparsion i was used to in the glorious times of UO or DAoC(RvR only... i did not like the leveling).. that's not a bad thing either. WoW and the themepark direction killed MMOs for me.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I'm not really happy but need to play atleast 1 MMORPG so have to get what I get. Really thinking about moving to FPS since our whole suburbs internet lines are getting updated for ping to be a non issue on my end. I always go back to EQ2 but only casually. we'll see what Wildstar bring or EQNext and if I'm not happy with that than that would be it for me since I'm an older gamer anyways might have to look into a different hobby. Still got many years of MMORPGing left to do though reguardless.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

With directx 11 enabled and SSAO the graphics look as good if not better than modern MMORPG's.

You are kidding me..right ?  Even with DX11 and SSAO enabled I'm struggling to see any diffrence, I played back in 2005 or 2006 or so and I think it looks the same now in 2013.. Im sure there is a diffrence but I can't see it ..I would have to have 2 screenshots set up next to each other to see the diffrence.

Have you played any of these games The Secret World , Age of Conan DX11 and in dx 9 Rift, FFXIV even SWTOR that is suppose to be a sci-fi WoW countergame has a far better looking game...all modern games surpass WoW by very long margin

Ofcourse, you could always argue that WoW has better art than the above but that is a diffrent discussion :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by crack_fox

Thousands of players sharing a virtual, persistent online game environment. It's such an open idea that this genre should be bursting with wonderfully diverse interpretations. It's hard not to remain fascinated by the potential and equally hard - if you have even a little imagination - not to be disappointed by the present reality. 

Agreed.  When I first joined the genre back in 2001 there was so much diversity between titles, and I expected each of them to more or less evolve equally into even more amazing representations of a virtual world, somewhat unique in their experience.

What I never expected was the homogenization that arose from the success of WOW to the point there is very little difference between most modern large budget titles once you look past the surface.  (TSW being a notable exception, if only they could have come up with a more creative endgame) Some indies still manage to challenge the imagination, but lack the resources to deliver the dream unfortunately.

So no, I'm not happy with the genre, which is probably why I'm playing a 10+ year old MMORPG that has been reset to it's former glory back in 2003.

I do however, think there's always hope on the horizon, and there are some upcoming titles that appear to present some ideas that I might enjoy so I'll be back in the new game market one day, just not likely anytime in the next year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon