Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about TESO?

Comments

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274
    The ESO-Vanguard comparison is totally wrong. Vanguard just plain ran out of money and had to release 'as is'. Whereas ESO seems to have delayed their schedule a bit to make sure changes are made in beta (I don't think they have come out and said that, but if they release in spring 2014 that will be nearly a year in beta which is very long for an MMO). I would be shocked if ESO had the type of game-breaking troubles that Vanguard at release - that game was unplayable on many computers, not to mention the many development issues that weren't addressed in beta. The only complaints I have heard about ESO regarded the character and combat graphics, and while I cant prove it, I think that is part of the reason for the delay. Nowadays, MMOs don't get a second chance if they struggle at release.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I was thinking the slowness was due to porting TESO for PS4/XB1.

Both TESO and Wildstar need to get a move on, by the time they come out I'll die of old age.

• liker12liker12 Member Posts: 4
    this will be inferior to Skyrim ?
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by ozmono
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Lonzo Originally posted by Roxtarr Originally posted by Lonzo So quiet.... I think this is a bad sign. I bet my .... that they bet on the wrong horse and are now in panic and try to fix the game and push it more to the more oldschool direction. Now that every company can see that F2P and casual gaming is not the key to success.
    What on earth gives you that impression? It's how does lack of new information indicate any change whatsoever. They're making the game. If they gave breaking news every week, there would be nothing left to reveal at launch.
    You know, I am  just too long in this MMO business. It is the typical behaviour of a MMO company. Hyping in Alpha and then facing reality. There is something wrong! Everyone can feel it. The same feeling right before Mc Quaid busted Vanguard....
      uhh no, that is entirely inaccurate. people knew there was something wrong with vanguard because there were leaks all over the place, people were talking about beta and the beta forums, you are not seeing a lot of leaked negativity about ESP beta like you did during vanguard beta. did you ever read the FOH forums back when it was in development? not only that but that was a bit of an indie project (especially compared to ESO) and had nowhere near the funding that this game has. not to mention the fact that the manager was rumored to had hardly been there during development, it was just a cluster fuck all the way around. plus zenimax has a very successful IP to worry about. even if there was "something wrong" i would assume it will be fixed before this game launches.    
    I don't know how you can try and claim there hasn't been negativity including negativity from leaks. Infact, not only have I heard negative things from beta testers since it started but Zenimax themselves admits the negativity coming from their beta programs and cite it as a reason for introducing some changes and planning others. Now I cannot remember if the level of negativity leaked and otherwise apparent is appropriate to compare to vanguard but it's certainly significant enough to recognize thus hard to deny.

As for the cost comparisons ofcourse ESO is going to cost a lot more but the reason that it's a given is because that's the nature of games as time goes on, especially MMOs. Again I don't necessarily want to compare it to Vanguard but it is obvious enough that Vanguard cannot be considered an indie project.

Now Vanguard had problems and ESO may not be a worthy rival in that regard but lets not pretend ESO hasn't had apparent negativity from it's beta program and lets not pretend that Zenimax can throw so much money at the game that they are guaranteed success.

people complain about the concepts in ESO, that's really the only issues i have heard about (and that is nothing new to the genre). not like the technical issues vanguard had.

vanguard's concepts were not its problem, many people wanted to play a game like that and still do.

vanguard was technically bad, that is what made it fail. if ESO was to release in a state similar to that, yeah it would be doomed.

it wont happen due to reasons i have already mentioned, though.

also, i have seen beta leaks where people like the game as well, just sayin.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

Any delays can be attributed to two factors. One, the game is (or has) undergoing some major changes as per what has already been released. Secondly, sine they announced the plan to release this also on consoles, they are attempting to find ways to implement (simplify) such a thing. 

I think that people get way too concerned. There was a virtual waterfall of info due to all the gaming conventions over the summer. Now that those are done, the info flow is obviously going to be much less.

And lastly, to those that are "leaking" from a CLOSED beta you have to ask yourself one question. Are those people to be trusted in the info provided in the first place. They are suppose to be in a CLOSED beta in which they are not suppose to speak of the game to anyone but other in the  beta or those on the dev  team. They agreed to do so in asking to be apart of that CLOSED beta. I never trust what I hear from them as 90% of the time, you are either getting info from people that are not really in the beta or getting potentially false info from people that can not be trusted to start with.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Oph8
    Your a funny guy. Scrambling, no one is scrambling over at Zenimax. 

That's why the game has gone through so many radical revisions in such a short time? That's why it keeps getting blasted in the press? Because no one is scrambling?

Originally posted by DavisFlight

That's why the game has gone through so many radical revisions in such a short time? That's why it keeps getting blasted in the press? Because no one is scrambling?

what radical revisions?? And most of the press I have seen has been good. You are just making stuff up to fit your agenda. Frankly ESO's development process has been similar to most major MMOs, in terms of timing and release of information. There was a leaked video from alpha many months ago that got some bad reaction, but since then all of the reactions from conventions and open play sessions has been positive. There are some people on forums that aren't happy with some design decisions, but jeeze every game has that.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Eol-

what radical revisions?? And most of the press I have seen has been good. You are just making stuff up to fit your agenda.

Almost all the initial articles about TESO were about how boring people found it, nothing new.

It went from being a WoW clone, to being marketed as a hardcore successor to DAoC, to being marketed as a WoW/GW2 clone, to being marketed as a Skyrim with COOP, to now being marketed as an RvR game.

You don't market something unless that's the focus of your game, which says that, based upon the lukewarm public reception, they scrambled to alter the game over and over.

People thought it was too much like WoW? They stopped mentioning WoW. Thought it didn't look enough like ES? They slapped a Skyrim UI on it, added in books and first person view.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

what radical revisions?? And most of the press I have seen has been good. You are just making stuff up to fit your agenda.

Almost all the initial articles about TESO were about how boring people found it, nothing new.

It went from being a WoW clone, to being marketed as a hardcore successor to DAoC, to being marketed as a WoW/GW2 clone, to being marketed as a Skyrim with COOP, to now being marketed as an RvR game.

You don't market something unless that's the focus of your game, which says that, based upon the lukewarm public reception, they scrambled to alter the game over and over.

People thought it was too much like WoW? They stopped mentioning WoW. Thought it didn't look enough like ES? They slapped a Skyrim UI on it, added in books and first person view.

You must have seen a whole lot of articles no one else saw... but coming from you, that's par for the course: extreme exaggerations without substance that border on batshit crazy territory.

How's that "removal of essential RVR components" forced by evil-doing publishers and the elimination of public dungeons going for you today?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177
    Again, your a funny dude. No one is Scrambling at Zenimax. The Dev's are working hard to get things done. I am interested in your radical revisions. Please share.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177
    Who is they? Zenimax? Do you know how silly you sound? Zenimax must be over spending on marketing since they keep changing how they should market EOS.

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

I have no idea what you are talking about. They have not done a lot of marketing, much less changed the marketing like you suggest. You are taking a little bit of public information and distorting it to mean anything you want it to mean. BTW, feel free to prove me wrong by linking some of these massive marketing campaigns the rest of us seem to have missed.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

lol @ lukewarm public reception. You must be referring again to Darkfall or something. Certainly not this game based on feedback out of PAX or Gamescom. Shall I provide you again with links to the threads making just about everything you wrote a bunch of BS, or better yet, for once for you to provide something that supports your unsubstantiated and nonsensical post.

There Is Always Hope!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Lonzo
    So quiet.... I think this is a bad sign. I bet my .... that they bet on the wrong horse and are now in panic and try to fix the game and push it more to the more oldschool direction. Now that every company can see that F2P and casual gaming is not the key to success.

They've been in full panic mode from the start. Nobody was even remotely enthusiastic about the initial reveal. Did you notice how almost every press release and article has been defensive, trying to make a case for the game?

And no, the features have been creeping more and more to a heavily instanced Skyrim but worse style game.

If they had kept it oldschool, DAoC style, which was the original vision before publishers shat all over it and got them to remove necessary RvR features and remove public dungeons and add instancing and phasing.... it might actually be worth playing.

I wasn't aware of that.  Depressing to say the least.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Some of these responses are stunning. In fact, so unbelievable it makes me wonder if people are not just being paid to be fandoms about this.

The very fact that they changed the game from 3rd person to 1st person should be a massive clue to everyone that they are listening to EOS fans and they are responding and they do know if they don't its going to cost them the bottom line.

They didn't set out to make one of the only 1st view MMOs out there because they were just bored and had more time to kill

What I find insulting is that they (much like Microsoft) just don't say 'oh we messed up we are sorry we will try to fix it'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Some of these responses are stunning. In fact, so unbelievable it makes me wonder if people are not just being paid to be fandoms about this.

The very fact that they changed the game from 3rd person to 1st person should be a massive clue to everyone that they are listening to EOS fans and they are responding and they do know if they don't its going to cost them the bottom line.

They didn't set out to make one of the only 1st view MMOs out there because they were just bored and had more time to kill

What I find insulting is that they (much like Microsoft) just don't say 'oh we messed up we are sorry we will try to fix it'

It isn't a First Person Only, its first and 3rd person giving people options...but you probably meant 3rd person and 1st person, not "to" 1st person. Second, I did see an interview somewhere where they did admit it was wrong not to do it, can't recall the source though. I guess you were looking for them to say "I want to be spanked"? lol. Regardless, I agree with everything else you wrote and the fact that they are listening is very evident to me based on everything I have read (including the unofficial places :-)). 

There Is Always Hope!

It has both 3rd and 1st person views - just like almost all other MMOs.

There's a lot of incorrect information here but hey, don't let that stop you from ranting about nothing lol.

I swear to god every time I come to this forum I can feel my brain cells dying and my IQ being reduced.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

There's a lot of incorrect information here but hey, don't let that stop you from ranting about nothing lol.

I swear to god every time I come to this forum I can feel my brain cells dying and my IQ being reduced.

no it hasn't.

It started as 3rd person view only.

and I might add although they are both in game I find it curious that all the new demos are done in 1st view, not 3rd.

no it hasn't.

and I might add although they are both in game I find it curious that all the new demos are done in 1st view, not 3rd.

Dude...it always had 1st and 3rd. All they did was enhanced the 1st person view by adding hands, weapon, shield etc to make that view more like the ES games. 

Sheesh.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by keithian

It isn't a First Person Only, its first and 3rd person giving people options...but you probably meant 3rd person and 1st person, not "to" 1st person. Second, I did see an interview somewhere where they did admit it was wrong not to do it, can't recall the source though. I guess you were looking for them to say "I want to be spanked"? lol. Regardless, I agree with everything else you wrote and the fact that they are listening is very evident to me based on everything I have read (including the unofficial places :-)). 

some are not aware that when the game was first announced it was 3rd person only. I haven't followed in a long time but I do recall Zenimax telling many gamers what they didn't want 'gamers don't want...' and even 'its not possible' kind of like how Microsoft said its not possible to reverse the DRM architecture and not but a week later it was removed.

I assumed it was 3rd and 1st person now, sorry I wasn't clear.

Having said that, I find it curious how all the new demos I have seen are done in 1st person despite the fact that many seem to think 1st view is a minority opinion.

no it hasn't.

Dude...it always had 1st and 3rd. All they did was enhanced the 1st person view by adding hands, weapon, shield etc to make that view more like the ES games. 

Sheesh.

no it did not.

I am sorry but you are wrong. when it was first announced  it did NOT have a 1st view option.

I hope you are not trying to simply hair split by saying 'yeah but it wasn't OUT then' because that is going to be really lame

ADDED: to be clear what I meant was when the game was announced not when it was released.

no it hasn't.

Sheesh.

no it did not.

I am sorry but you are wrong. when it was first announced  it did NOT have a 1st view option.

I hope you are not trying to simply hair split by saying 'yeah but it wasn't OUT then' because that is going to be really lame

ADDED: to be clear what I meant was when the game was announced not when it was released.

No you're wrong. Like I said, they  added hands, weapons etc.

Before that it had the same type of 1st person view you see in WOW, Rift and most other MMOs: You scroll in all the way and 3rd person becomes 1st.

" Getting handsy

When I wrote about Elder Scrolls Online back in January, I was told that the game supported first-person, but players would not be able to see their character's hands or weapons. "

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/we-didnt-see-elder-scrolls-onlines-first-person-mode-until-last-week-heres

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

no it hasn't.

Sheesh.

no it did not.

Before that it had the same type of 1st person view you see in WOW, Rift and most other MMOs: You scroll in all the way and 3rd person becomes 1st.

" Getting handsy

When I wrote about Elder Scrolls Online back in January, I was told that the game supported first-person, but players would not be able to see their character's hands or weapons. "

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/we-didnt-see-elder-scrolls-onlines-first-person-mode-until-last-week-heres

I just did a text search on 'first' on that article you just posted and I got to say. Yet again we are being a bit disingenuous aren't we?

The bottom line here is that to suggest they haven't been making an about face from their original is to be delusional.

With that said, if it makes you feel any better I will say I was mistaken however, I still don't think its the 'first person view' most people who talk about the subject are referring to. Even more so if 'WoW can do it'.

So it would be nice if we could all just stick to the sprit of what is being talked about not try to turn it into a strawman because when the day is done reality is still reality

no it hasn't.

Sheesh.

no it did not.

" Getting handsy

I just did a text search on 'first' on that article you just posted and I got to say. Yet again we are being a bit disingenuous aren't we?

The bottom line here is that to suggest they haven't been making an about face from their original is to be delusional.

With that said, if it makes you feel any better I will say I was mistaken however, I still don't think its the 'first person view' most people who talk about the subject are referring to. Even more so if 'WoW can do it'.

So it would be nice if we could all just stick to the sprit of what is being talked about not try to turn it into a strawman because when the day is done reality is still reality

Disingenuous? How so? You're obviously one of those people who can't admit they're wrong. If you want to you can search for the old 1st person view in videos but I neither have the time or inclination.

Fact: the game was designed around 3rd person just like all MMOs

Fact: as such they had the same token 1st person view which is available in all 3rd person MMOs

Fact: many fans wanted to see a better 1st person view like in single player ES games with hands, weapons, etc.

Fact: they added that 

That's all there is to it.

All this other drama about this being (either  good or bad)  massive change in direction, etc. is just overblown hyperbole.

And which part of my original response to you "It has both 3rd and 1st person views - just like almost all other MMOs." did you not understand? It does. Always did.

And most MMOers will play it in 3rd person view simply because it's a better view for group game play - especially PVP.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

no it hasn't.

Sheesh.

no it did not.

" Getting handsy

Disingenuous? How so? You're obviously one of those people who can't admit they're wrong. If you want to you can search for the old 1st person view in videos but I neither have the time or inclination.

Fact: the game was designed around 3rd person just like all MMOs

Fact: as such they had the same token 1st person view which is available in all 3rd person MMOs

Fact: many fans wanted to see a better 1st person view like in single player ES games with hands, weapons, etc.

Fact: they added that 

That's all there is to it.

All this other drama about this being (either  good or bad)  massive change in direction, etc. is just overblown hyperbole.

And which part of my original response to you "It has both 3rd and 1st person views - just like almost all other MMOs." did you not understand? It does. Always did.

And most MMOers will play it in 3rd person view simply because it's a better view for group game play - especially PVP.

ok

1. I did admit I was wrong did you not read that?

2. do you honestly think when people say 'first person view' they are referring to a WoW/EQ2 style first person view? I want to make sure I understand that this is exactly what you are suggesting.