Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: New Player Training Sessions Scheduled

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Few EVE Online players would deny the steep learning curve that the game presents to new players. In an effort to help  newbs over the proverbial hump, CCP has put together an interesting list of "seminars" to help out. The first session, "Modules", will take place on October 15th.

Here is the initial schedule of sessions we are planning to run. New players can participate by joining the "New Player Training Sessions" channel in game at the listed times. We will also be advertising the sessions in the rookie corporations and Rookie Help Chat channel during the event times.

Track: Player vs Player Combat

October 15, 17:00 UTC – Modules

October 17, 17:00 UTC – Fitting Your Ship

October 22, 17:00 UTC – Earning ISK

October 24, 17:00 UTC – The Overview and UI

October 29, 17:00 UTC – Piloting Your Ship

October 31, 17:00 UTC – Skills

November 5, 17:00 UTC – Crimewatch (Featuring live demonstrations)

November 7, 17:00 UTC – Combat Basics

November 12, 17:00 UTC – Teamwork

November 16, 17:00 UTC – PVP Fleet

November 18, 17:00 UTC – Progression: What’s Next?

Read more on the EVE Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

In theory its a great idea.

But over all I think its kinda...not well thought out.

What about all the newbies who cant make it? Are new players only allowed to log in at a select time? No of course not.

Youre going to have new players of "off" time zones feeling like they dont matter as much as people who were able to attend. Trust me it will happen.

And number two and maybe most importantly; being "marked" as a newb is like throwing baby chicks into a crocodile pit.

Im sure all the bored assholes that game currently has will make every effort to educate them on what Eve is really all about.

CCP would be better off putting together a few short 10 minute full production videos. Im not talking in game captured video, but stuff like CPU and Power Grid and fitting and tracking explained in laymens terms, and how the skills and modules affect them.

Do you know how hard it is to explain weapon tracking, optimal, and falloff over a team speak server to someone whos only played MMO's like WoW?

Pretty poor use of resources in my opinion.

Ohh and just to clarify.

Newb or newbie- Is a player new to the game.

Noob or noobie- Is a f***ing idiot.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• drarakkusdrarakkus Member Posts: 97
    neither are your arguments youtube already has tons of videos for everything. they want live interaction with the people...
  • SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Hokie

In theory its a great idea.

But over all I think its kinda...not well thought out.

I think you assume that the sessions won't be recorded and made available on-demand. I think it's a great idea. Something that could probably have been in from day one? But the game world and its staff and community have matured and grown so much since then. I think it's a good move from CCP
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

They'll be recorded and if you read what ccp said you would know this.  They'll be added to evepedia (or whatever their wiki is :P).

My biggest question is why not just take what EVE Uni has already done?  It's all pretty in depth already.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think they should make sure they start with a "how to join a channel" tutorial :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Really i didnt think the learning curve was all that hard, the game was just plain boring......Sitting in a tin can clicking on things just doesn't thrill some of us.
  • kraizykraizy Member UncommonPosts: 52
    noone in the world can explain why its the most boring game i ever played ... but steep learning curve ? lol
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Sadly, the majority of the game's learning curve exists solely because of both the lackluster UI, and the amount of systems which are complex solely for the sake of being so.

To their credit CCP has attempted (and succeeded, for the most part) to make things a bit easier to grasp, but a truly user-friendly interface is a long way off.

Fine game. Crappy UI.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Really i didnt think the learning curve was all that hard, the game was just plain boring......Sitting in a tin can clicking on things just doesn't thrill some of us.

Good for us who do like it this way. I'm just curious about how far you got into it. Doesn't seem you made it overly far. But hey, clicking on half nude elves instead of spaceships has its undebatable charme.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I'm sure they are going to be recorded and put online for everyone to access.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    I'm sure they are going to be recorded and put online for everyone to access.

You are correct.  From the article linked in the OP:

"We will also record these sessions and post them later for those who are unable to attend, along with creating EVElopedia pages to support the content."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Something like this already exists for Eve. Eve is the most documented MMO out there. There is no excuse for not being able to find info on anything.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVE_University_Class_Library

Originally posted by drarakkus
    neither are your arguments youtube already has tons of videos for everything. they want live interaction with the people...

Most of the youtube videos are poorly done, fuck it I'll be honest, without pulling punches, 99% of the youtube videos are shit. And I wouldnt recommend them to any new player trying to learn the basics of the game.

I dont think what CCP is doing is a bad idea per say. I just think those resources could be better used elsewhere, as in a CCP produced video. You know this is how missles work in game , this is how guns work in game, this is how E-war works in game.

Why should someone have to go off-site to learn about the mechanics of the game? The shouldnt, its stupid.

And its stupid that CCP doesnt realize this.

You counter is totally based on someone who is obviously unsympathetic with the lack of understanding that new players have, or even with what CCP is trying to accomplish, poorly thought out that it is.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by drarakkus

Most of the youtube videos are poorly done, fuck it I'll be honest, without pulling punches, 99% of the youtube videos are shit. And I wouldnt recommend them to any new player trying to learn the basics of the game.

I dont think what CCP is doing is a bad idea per say. I just think those resources could be better used elsewhere, as in a CCP produced video. You know this is how missles work in game , this is how guns work in game, this is how E-war works in game.

Why should someone have to go off-site to learn about the mechanics of the game? The shouldnt, its stupid.

And its stupid that CCP doesnt realize this.

You counter is totally based on someone who is obviously unsympathetic with the lack of understanding that new players have, or even with what CCP is trying to accomplish, poorly thought out that it is.

I think you're missing what drarakkus is saying. The community team is getting engaged in the community - live interaction with the players. You're saying those resources could be better used elsewhere, but the community team doesn't do video production. They do community stuff. He's not being unsympathetic, at all.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    As a fan of this game, I have to say that the tutorials should assist new players in accepting that most of the ships in the game up to BC level look like ass. The Caldari cruisers are especially hideous and resemble lego accidents perpetrated by Salvador Dali.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Sadly, the majority of the game's learning curve exists solely because of both the lackluster UI, and the amount of systems which are complex solely for the sake of being so.

To their credit CCP has attempted (and succeeded, for the most part) to make things a bit easier to grasp, but a truly user-friendly interface is a long way off.

Fine game. Crappy UI.

That im my opinion is part of the problem. The UI isnt bad its the amount of choices that are presented to the "new" player. Its overwhelming.

Every thing should be explained its its most simple form.

Take for example-

What are structure HP's? what does it mean?

What is the inertia modifier? What does it affect? What does it do? Does it matter? Is it better to have a higher number or lower number? What do you multiply it by?

Or even better-

What is Power Grid Output? What does it affect? Is it important?

What is CPU Output? Is it important? What does it do?

What are High Slots?

What are Hardpoints?

What is Calibration?

And so on. I can promise you if they are covered at in this lets play session at all it will be curtsy at best. Which is why I say breaking down it its simplfied basics is what it needs.

And you know what, fuck reading a wiki for 3 hours+ just to try and figure out what all this stuff means, when a few short 5-10 minute videos would do the same, and do it better.

It is a poor use of resources. Or maybe its pretty poor that CCP hasnt made understanding the game simpler. Its not that complicated, but it can be overwhelming for a new player, and like I said you ever try explaining optimal and falloff and missile explosion radius to someone whos never played over TS?

It would be so much simpler with a video that uses some basic animations.

And Ive had too much to drink tonite, and I need to stop before I become an asshole instead of a smartass. I think the people who've tried to explain the intracacies of the game to newb players will understand exactly what Im talking about. Its not easy and its daunting for the newbie, overwhelming so.