Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Not Quite Jump to Lightspeed, But I’ll Take It

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Yesterday, BioWare unveiled "Galactic Starfighter", the second digital expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic. We offer our thoughts on the announcement in our latest SWTOR column.

No, it’s not a broad space game, but if you can get past the disappointment of the project not resembling JTL (likely easy for anyone who never played it!) and find yourself excited at the notion of jumping into 12v12 dogfights, then BioWare may actually have something awesome in store for you here. I know I’m excited to jump in and shoot it up in space, but I can’t help being disappointed the project wasn’t much broader in scope due to my past experiences and hopes for something more.

Read more of Michael Bitton's SWTOR: Not Quite Jump to Lightspeed, But I’ll Take It.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    the sad thing is that asking for these guys to match the quality of an expansion that released nine years ago for a game that eventually failed is asking for to much.
  • RuienRuien Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Jerek_
    the sad thing is that asking for these guys to match the quality of an expansion that released nine years ago for a game that eventually failed is asking for to much.

You hit the nail on the head.

I would not have guessed in my wildest nightmare that Bioware would ever be considered one of the worst developers in the gaming industry.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    The MOBA makers: You're Welcome Bioware!!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70

I know, right.

Also, why didn't they use the existing ships and give players the ability to customize those for the dogfight? You know, to help immerse your character just a tad more?

Nah mate, because that would make perfect sense.

Generic faction ship > Class specific ship.

Ok . . .

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Ruien

I would not have guessed in my wildest nightmare that Bioware would ever be considered one of the worst developers in the gaming industry.

It was because of the JTL expansion, that SWG managed to survive the NGE and kept the servers up and runnig for so long until final shutdown.

It was hands Down one of the best expansions SOE ever made, Next to the Echoes of Faydwer expac for EQ2 later on that litterly resurrected that game.

If they had focussed on fixing the groundgame after JTL release (Galactic War, PVE ground content, etc), instead of the NGE.... ahh well. No point beating a dead horse. It's dead jim!

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    It is at least a step in the right direction. Getting off the rails and being able to free-flight dogfight is not bad for a first step. And this is EA after all, the masters of pushing things out early. It is not like they would have waited patiently for the full meal deal. The real question is, is it a first step or is it their solution. It will probably depend if it makes them any money.

All die, so die well.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by VikingGamer
    It is at least a step in the right direction. Getting off the rails and being able to free-flight dogfight is not bad for a first step. And this is EA after all, the masters of pushing things out early. It is not like they would have waited patiently for the full meal deal. The real question is, is it a first step or is it their solution. It will probably depend if it makes them any money.

I can't imagine they would be so dense as to not be working on the PvE version of this. They have done incredibly stupid things in the past though, so who knows.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Well I haven't had anything positive to say about SWTOR since release, until this. If done right I could see myself putting quite some time into this type of content.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I sure hope to hear more and if they are pushing towards a XvT sort of PvE missions in addition to the PvP stuff.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I can't imagine they would be so dense as to not be working on the PvE version of this. They have done incredibly stupid things in the past though, so who knows.

Seeing, after the massive layoffs in spring 2012 and them being left With a skeletal crew, they needed almost a full year to release their first "MINI" expansion RotHC and then another 10 monhts or so till this "MINI" expansion.

That would put the PVE Version somewhere at early Autumn Next year. If they gonna work on it.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203

Oh come on you haven't said anything positive about this game you don't play in two years. This looks like a great new aspect of an already increasingly fun game. Every content update makes the game better.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Machination

I know, right.

Also, why didn't they use the existing ships and give players the ability to customize those for the dogfight? You know, to help immerse your character just a tad more?

Nah mate, because that would make perfect sense.

Generic faction ship > Class specific ship.

Ok . . .

Actually No. lot of people like me was wating for Space PvP with Faction ships, Fighter, Bombers, Etc. And thats what we will get. 
  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

@Michael Bitton, here is a thread discussing your article over on the official TOR forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=687353

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Seems shallow and generic.

Far too little, far too late imo.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Seeing, after the massive layoffs in spring 2012 and them being left With a skeletal crew, they needed almost a full year to release their first "MINI" expansion RotHC and then another 10 monhts or so till this "MINI" expansion.

That would put the PVE Version somewhere at early Autumn Next year. If they gonna work on it.

Ah yes you forgot to mention the multiple flashpoints since launch, the multiple ops since launch, the multiple daily areas, adding the legacy and continuing to improve on it, HK and treek, adding new PvP content all this and more in two years. Yes you must have forgot all that or your just being a hater hmm which one is it?
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

/thread

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Nothing like "not as good as an expansion that released 9 years ago to a game that is now closed" as a benchmark for quality. And not being able to better than that on top of it. Nothing like "progress".

More "meh" in a game filled with "meh".

Not going to help much, if at all.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    I'm going to hold judgment on this until I find out if a joystick can be used. I know with certainty that the control are AWSD and mouse controls. Joystick will be key to determining if this is an actual flight mechanic or sped up linear movement through 3 planes alla STO. I prefer joystick flight over mouse and keyboard. I suspect my joystick will need to sit and gather dust until BF 4 is released.

• Masonic1Masonic1 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Nothing like "not as good as an expansion that released 9 years ago to a game that is now closed" as a benchmark for quality. And not being able to better than that on top of it. Nothing like "progress".

More "meh" in a game filled with "meh".

Not going to help much, if at all.

this

swg was just one of the best mmo's that was ever released and all tor has been from the  very start is like wow but worse. this won't help tor one bit. i went into the game last night and fleet chat was just filled with people who are upset over bioware doing something that they don't want.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by JeroKane

They could have released all the stuff sooner, but they were sitting on the content to spread the carrot out. Before the game released they said there would be space PVP put in. Both "MINI" expansions were all done before launch. If they released all the content they had within the first year, there would be no one playing the game today, as there would have been no new content all year.

I doubt a PVE version will ever happen. If they do make a PVE version of this, then I will believe that they are actually working on new content after launch, instead of activating already written content.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Swtor will be forever scorned for not being Swg pre cu.
    What I don't get is why those people don't hate SOE for Swg.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by jpnz

LA mainly called the shots with SWG, and SWTOR is like an enhanced NGE. Both games were heavily influenced by LA, and Dallas Dickinson who worked on SWG and SWTOR.

LA is now no more

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by superniceguy

LA mainly called the shots with SWG, and SWTOR is like an enhanced NGE. Both games were heavily influenced by LA, and Dallas Dickinson who worked on SWG and SWTOR.

LA is now no more

Yeah yet funny how somehow SWG was great all thanks to Raph Koster...

Anyway, at this rate SWTOR may become a decent MMO in about 2 or 3 years...maybe.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Not everything I wanted, but I'll take it too ... for now ...
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by superniceguy

LA is now no more

I often wondered that too jpnz , I guess they wan't a sandbox SW game , that's fine. 

I loved the new content recently *hint hint* brand new. So anyway I like the fact this S.S.S.P is coming out really soon , one guy working on it just over a year ago , in his spare time , then now this for free ? Very nice , love the trying to sub strategy too very swish , but every one gets it and free.

Disney are more relaxed than LA ( back in their day ) ?

If so go Disney :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]