Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Russia Chooses Arcs Over Cash Shops

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

During last week's Igromir convention in Russia, the MMOzg.net team had a chance to chat with Lead Producer for Archeage in Russia Sergey Teymurazov to find out more about the "Arc" revenue model as compared to the cash shop model. The MMOzg.net team has graciously translated the interview and given us the go-ahead to publish it for our readers. If you're curious about how the anticipated game will be altered in Russia, read on. Check it out before heading to the comments to chat.

mmozg_Andre: These days the only theme we can talk about is the new ArcheAge economic model introduced for Russian localization. What do you think about players’ response to it?

Sergey Teymurazov: We didn’t expect such a reaction. We thought this model is attractive, understandable and easy to explain. Probably we couldn’t explain it well enough and it is mostly our fault. On the other hand, one of our goals was in fact to evaluate players’ reaction. Though we played the Korean version of the game, we don’t see the whole picture in the same way as active players and guilds do. That’s why we’re keeping in touch with them, talking, getting feedback. They have ideas and we’re listening carefully.

Read more of the MMOZG.net interview: ArcheAge: Russia Chooses Arcs Over Cash Shops.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I must say i really like the critical questions. Most interviews shown make me think the interviewers don't have the balls to ask them.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    op what game is that in your pic with the big stone golem looking thing ? FFARR?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by thunderC
    op what game is that in your pic with the big stone golem looking thing ? FFARR?

Since it's a thread about ArchAge..... 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

WoW, looked more like an IRS audit than an interview. I love it.

More journalism, less fluff.

OK, now that I've read it. They basically made a system identical to RuneScape's recently introduced bonds.

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by sacredfool
    OK, now that I've read it. They basically made a system identical to RuneScape's recently introduced bonds.

Or like NW's AD or STO's dilithium. In fact, by a few questions I did the image emote, there are russian fleets in STO, they should know from experience how easily the devs can control dilly flow and dilly prices, same with NW's AD Exchange. All those lame questions about inflation and Arc-rubel rates :)

"Sergey Teymurazov, spared us a lot of time and answers any questions, including the hard ones, and remains open and sympathetic. This, of course, demonstrates true professional behavior." +1 to him indeed.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    More interviewers like this this guy please. Its the first in depth critical interview of this nature I have ever read on here. Most of the time the mmorpg staff come across more as fans than writers out to serve the gamers interests. - I gather this guy doesnt work for mmorpg.com, thats too bad. We could benefit from regular industry interviews done by this guy imo :)
  • mmozg_Andremmozg_Andre Member Posts: 5

Meanwhile in Russia: Mail.Ru, operator of ArcheAge localization, reacts on players' widespread discontent and claims that they now discuss possible changes in economic model with XL Games. According to Mail.Ru ther are three possibilities: (1) make current model with arcs more acceptable; (2) use current f2p model from Korea; (3) launch different servers with both mentioned models. Still not a word of p2p with subscription, but this is the beginning at least, because before there were no options at all.

Many thanks to MMORPG.com for spreading the word and to you folks for your interest for Archeage.

• mmozg_Andremmozg_Andre Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Mail.ru is adding a third rmt currency like Cryptics dilly/AD, GW gems, or somewhat analogous to Krono, Plex, Rex.

Here is a problem. Arcs is not like GW2 Gems or EVE PLEX. Plex and Gems can be exchanged for ingame currency by players' auction, they are not bring additional 'gold' in game, only reallocate it, and they are not actual ingame currency. Arcs actually intended to be emitted by Mail.Ru itself in unlimited amounts and to be actual ingame currency. Feel the difference. It is the main point why Russian community is so upset now.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Sounds like a Russian problem. *shrugs*. Can someone poke Trion i would like to find  out how much I all have to pay

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by apocoluster
      Sounds like a Russian problem. *shrugs*. Can someone poke Trion i would like to find  out how much I all have to pay

Russia is a huge and viable MMO community, a fitting part of OUR community as well. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

LOL.

And the dumbest question of the day award goes to............

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by f0dell54

LOL.

And the dumbest question of the day award goes to............

He was making a point. Not really all that important, in my opinion, but still a viable point of view.

Once upon a time....

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Now this is a good interview. Tough questions.

I'd like see these types of questions / debates asked to ESO.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Holy crap, this is the best, hardest hitting interview I have ever seen from MMORPG.  Wow excellent interview, please have these guys do them all, no more FLUFF!!!!
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    The best interview I've read in a while. No softball questions. It smacks of arrogance though as people were obviously too dumb to understand and appreciate the benefits being offered them, so it will be explained to them again... It just can't be possible that the reality is that the model sucks. It's sad that these companies will never learn until they go bankrupt, wondering where the money went and we're all left with 3 games to play.
  • InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

Sergey Teymurazov: You see, the gold boosts inflation instantly, but there is another situation with resources. Some resources may be mined by bots until we catch them and ban them. But there are some resources that cannot be produced by bots. For example, growing something on a farm. Only players can do that.

There was thousands and thousands of bots doing farming via botting earlier. Now that the game went f2p long time ago they went to the normal no risk killing mobs botting. This hole interview is a huge joke.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    QQers will QQ, but aside from that, glad that russian journalists have the balls to argue and demand answers, not taking PR crap and buzzwords, but pursuing an answer, a true answer that actually answers the question. Good job!
  • InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by IstrebiteI
    QQers will QQ, but aside from that, glad that russian journalists have the balls to argue and demand answers, not taking PR crap and buzzwords, but pursuing an answer, a true answer that actually answers the question. Good job!

Too bad all the info he got of the game comes from a 20 dias of power point presentation that some pr guy gave him from xlgames. 

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

No. RuneScape's bond system is similar to Eve's PLEX, this Russian AA one is very different from it.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    In Soviet Russia, questions ask you!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The title is somewhat misleading. It should be:

"ArcheAge: Mail.ru Chooses Arcs Over Cash Shops, but Russia rejects it"

Originally posted by Sinella

No. RuneScape's bond system is similar to Eve's PLEX, this Russian AA one is very different from it.

Looked at it the third time - you have a point. They are creating an alternative currency. It's a weird system, not sure how it'll work out. 

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

sounds like Neverwinter - either pay or play 24/7

hopefully - if Trion is actually doing anything at all with AA other sitting on their hands - they are not adopting such a system

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Nilenya
    More interviewers like this this guy please. Its the first in depth critical interview of this nature I have ever read on here. Most of the time the mmorpg staff come across more as fans than writers out to serve the gamers interests. - I gather this guy doesnt work for mmorpg.com, thats too bad. We could benefit from regular industry interviews done by this guy imo :)

Really? It sounded like a bunch of self-important crap to me. They sounded really critical and probing, but in the end we didn't learn anything new. They didn't expose anything. This wasn't really journalism.

Mail.ru is adding a third rmt currency like Cryptics dilly/AD, GW gems, or somewhat analogous to Krono, Plex, Rex.

The interviewers tried to make the subject sound more complex or serious that it is. It's convoluted in AA for sure, but that's not a secret.

So I guess journalism now is asking questions like a belligerent asshat? Tell me, what benefit did we see from their "hard hitting" questions? They ended up with the same sort of conclusions that mmorpg does, only they came off sounding like jerks. Maybe it was a translational thing, but I wasn't impressed with them at all.

Yeah the interviewer sounded like he was on a anti-F2P crusade. The same questions could be asked about many other F2P titles like EQ2, LOTRO, TERA, Rift etc.

The bottom line is that if you have the money, you can buy anything you want in game. Someone will earn it for you.  Its unavoidable.  Whether its auctions, looting rights or even purchasing accounts who have already earned the items. You cant stop it.

The only way to minimise RMT in game is to have Bind on Pickup that instantly gets locked to the player / group / raid that defeats the encounter (so you cant sell looting rights).  Even then, people will probably still buy raid slots and loot (like people did to unlock Mythical weapons on EQ2).  This also gets rid of any opportunity for people to obtain items through In-game wealth rather than achievements, so its a double edged sword that many players don't like.

I think the interviewer was just rude and trying to push its own agenda.