Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Does Your Character Do When You Log Out?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Do they hang out in an inn or tavern? Maybe spend time in their own home?
Do they camp in the wilderness? Maybe near a dungeon?
Do they spend time in a library seeking knowledge and lore?

What does you character when you log out?

Do you care?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

In FFXIV...

She sleeps.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

It disappears like a fart in the wind.

No, I don't care. image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

They are immediately stricken deaf, dumb, blind, and insensate. Then slowly they begin to become transparent and vanish. This odd phenomenon somehow also stops aging and magical buff decline.

But for seriously. I really only thought about it in EVE, that they hop out of their ship, do the countless calibration and repairs that must happen behind the scenes. Go have a few drinks, find a whore, or drug den. Then somehow magically end up exactly where I left off with them when I log back on.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

Some of my characters were scoundrels, and I never wanted to know.

Alas, they have all "left the room".

Once upon a time....

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I don't care what goes on at me work when I'm not there...I don't care what my character does when I'm not playing.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

You're kind of asking a question few games provide even an ounce of gesture towards.

The occasional one that lets the character sell stuff as a vendor or accrues you some skill points over time while logged out still leaves a large gap to be filled for one to develop the notion that your avatar has any form of life.

It's a nice concept to hint at though. One that would be pleasant to see eventually implemented into MMOs and virtual worlds. An almost sims-like presentation of being able to define your avatar's personality, behaviors, and habits so that when you log off, they stay there and continue to act autonomously with the world according to a procedural schedule they generate off what you defined for them.

It's an element that at face value is entire superfluous. You can't play the game, so why does your avatar have to even be there? Well there's a few gameplay reasons.

1) Mobile gaming. Being able to check up on the progress of your character, read their journal history, and egg them to do certain activities while you're on a quick break at work, on the toilet, or about to watch a movie means you can be doing things indirectly and continuing to interact with the game.

2) Persistence. You log out, your character can still go on an adventure as a hired hand for a mission or as a mercenary in a battle. They could be harvesting resources, trading goods, guarding a castle, stealing coins, etc. All these actions can be things that they do while you're gone to both grant you a reward when you come back to play the game as well as giving dynamic events that other players can interact with, extending the value of play for not just you, but everyone else.

3) A living world. This one is more an aesthetic perk than a functional one. With avatars becoming a persistent part of the world and capable of acting on at least a semi-autonomous level, the game world itself is capable of retaining a much more active environment. When a zone is low on life, the server can migrate offline characters into it so that it retains a more active feel for those traveling through. This means for those in the game, they are less prone to visiting a place that looks straight up like a ghost town, deserted forest, or some other desolate environment. They will be capable of seeing other avatars roaming and interacting with the world and be able to at least have light levels of interaction with these offline characters to alter their experience as well as their perception of the game world.

EDIT: To answer the question directly, I don't tend to have that notion with current characters as I am all to aware of their lifeless status. I'll entertain the thought occasionally with RP characters, filling in the blanks about their presence with random activities and antics that seem suitable to the character I've made.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Deivos
    3) A living world. This one is more an aesthetic perk than a functional one. With avatars becoming a persistent part of the world and capable of acting on at least a semi-autonomous level, the game world itself is capable of retaining a much more active environment. When a zone is low on life, the server can migrate offline characters into it so that it retains a more active feel for those traveling through. This means for those in the game, they are less prone to visiting a place that looks straight up like a ghost town, deserted forest, or some other desolate environment. They will be capable of seeing other avatars roaming and interacting with the world and be able to at least have light levels of interaction with these offline characters to alter their experience as well as their perception of the game world.EDIT: To answer the question directly, I don't tend to have that notion with current characters as I am all to aware of their lifeless status. I'll entertain the thought occasionally with RP characters, filling in the blanks about their presence with random activities and antics that seem suitable to the character I've made.
    I'd say this is closest to what I was getting at. I know some players have a "safe place" where they will log out, be it at an inn, in a city, maybe their character's home. Others just hit <escape> and log out wherever.

I guess too many posters are all grown up :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    In most current MMO games, I don't have a 'character'. What I have is little more than a person-shaped utensil with which to consume 'content', roughly hewn and largely indistinguishable from the next player's. When not in use, they are records in a database. However, I like the imaginative ideas that Deivos presents. And although I haven't played GTA V, I'm intrigued by the way that all three of the main characters seem to be engaged in their own little lives when you select them. Little touches like that show a craftsman's attention to detail that's sorely lacking in the MMO space. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Do you care?

I havent played Age of Wushu in months so i guess my character already died from STDs because every time i logged in she was sold to the brothel.

• actionreactionactionreaction Member Posts: 82
    In AC character never sleep, always killing monsters and doing quests, then I get on and PK with her and see what loot I got over night to trade/use.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    mmo developers need to implement the Pawn system from Dragons Dogma into mmorpgs. I log out and other players can hire my toon as a henchman and if i did that content the toon will suggest ideas how to do it or if i didnt do that content when i log back in it will say he gained that knowledge when aproaching the content in question. Also tips for helpful henchmen ;)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Do you care?

If they have a house they stay there almost always.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Do you care?

Is this a real question?

Of course i don't care. If i am not playing a particular game, why would i care? Plus, the answer is simple. When i log out, my toon is out of the game, and the game state of said toon is going to be kept unchanged until i log in next time. Do you really need to ask?

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Do you care?

They log in and play the real SWG.  SWG pre cu on the Basilisk server.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i've been playing w pinocchio all this time ?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Currently in Rift I place my toon somewhere safe and let him sleep.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Deivos

You're kind of asking a question few games provide even an ounce of gesture towards.

The occasional one that lets the character sell stuff as a vendor or accrues you some skill points over time while logged out still leaves a large gap to be filled for one to develop the notion that your avatar has any form of life.

It's a nice concept to hint at though. One that would be pleasant to see eventually implemented into MMOs and virtual worlds. An almost sims-like presentation of being able to define your avatar's personality, behaviors, and habits so that when you log off, they stay there and continue to act autonomously with the world according to a procedural schedule they generate off what you defined for them.

It's a reality in Age Of Wulin.

http://en.wulin.gpotato.eu/GameGuide/Handbook/Offline-System

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I imagine my characters use the time to sleep, clean up, do chores, attend conferences, etc.  Routine stuff.

On patch days, I figure they are going off on big epic adventures without me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

In Age of Wushu, my alt goes to work. Sometimes record keep at the bank, cutting wood for the chef, organizing writings for the calligraphers, carrying water for rich families. I've even seen him performing in the market, juggling and blowing fire. 

My main has been meditating, cultivating, learning new internal skill in a remote cave. 

This is not imagination, this is what really happens when they are offline. I've even seen my alt welcoming people into a brothel after he was kidnapped and sold.

winner!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by MMOman101
    Don't care.  It is a game.  The characters are not real and they don't need to do anything that I am not direct control of when I am playing the game. 

they might not need to, but let me tell you, it's pretty damn cool when they do image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by rojo6934

Do they spend time in a library seeking knowledge and lore?What does you character when you log out?Do you care?

I havent played Age of Wushu in months so i guess my character already died from STDs because every time i logged in she was sold to the brothel.
    ROTLMFAO

I totally forgot about Wushu and how one's character is still "in the game" even when the player logs off.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

Do you care?

mine is playing a mmo called "RL" when i am off.

you sleep, eat, work, and get no money in return in that game. no idea why but those silly toons love that game.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

Originally posted by DMKano
    They return to their natural state - numbers in database tables, and hopefully these values get committed to disk and backed up just in case.That's all our characters ever are - database values.The real question is, are we just entries in the cosmic database? Who is playing us?
    How Matrix-esque!

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    How do you think they keep the servers running?  The toon body generates more toon-electricity than a 120-volt battery and over 25,000 T.T.U.'s of toon heat.  They are, as an energy source, easily renewable and completely recyclable, the dead parsed and fed intracircuitously to the machine overlords.      This also explains why the servers suck at launch.  Not enough logged out toons to keep them going.