Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Expansion Taking Flight in December

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Star Wars: The Old Republic site has been updated with the news that the next digital expansion, "Galactic Starfighter", will be arriving for subscribers in December, preferred early access in mid-January and for F2P players in February. The free expansion is focused around space combat that will include 12v12 star fights as well as ship customization and more.

Experience epic Player-vs-Player (PvP) dogfighting in the new Free-to-Play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Expansion, Galactic Starfighter. Join 12v12 free flight combat action and jump into fierce factional battles as the war between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic explodes into space. Compete and advance to earn ground game rewards plus new weapons, powers and abilities to customize your ultimate Starfighter! 

Find out more on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

It has been confirmed there will be no PvE missions in this expansion:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6824326#edit6824326

That means if you are a PvE player, you are going to be stuck with the same sucky space combat you currently have.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Awesome!
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    They keep pumping out the content! Last update two awesome ops, PvP and a good daily area now were getting this! The haters will hating for another few years while we are playing!
    Originally posted by tannim78
    This should of been a free patch to fix this train wreck.....

It is free. There is no "pre-order" like the person who posted this article said. All there is is early access for subscribers. But after a couple of weeks it will be free for everyone.

• Originally posted by Grand_Nagus
    Originally posted by tannim78
    This should of been a free patch to fix this train wreck.....

It is free. There is no "pre-order" like the person who posted this article said. All there is is early access for subscribers. But after a couple of weeks it will be free for everyone.

actually it will be 2 months before its available to f2p players and a month and a half for preferred, but yea no need to buy it like rise of the hutt cartel

SUBSCRIBER EARLY ACCESS

BEGINS: DECEMBER 3, 2013

PREFERRED EARLY ACCESS

BEGINS: JANUARY 14, 2014

FREE-TO-PLAY ACCESS

BEGINS: FEBRUARY 4, 2014

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Still does not fix the problem with the space combat.  It needs to be completely redesigned.  I don't know anyone that plays this game that does space missions.  Sure there are some, but they are a tiny minority.  Allowing pvp with these ships is just a joke.  Trying to justify all the customization options.  You would expect this design in a 90's game, not something trying to be contemporary.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    You can tell this was made by the Hero Engine... And that isn't a compliment.

Smile

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Still does not fix the problem with the space combat.  It needs to be completely redesigned.  I don't know anyone that plays this game that does space missions.  Sure there are some, but they are a tiny minority.  Allowing pvp with these ships is just a joke.  Trying to justify all the customization options.  You would expect this design in a 90's game, not something trying to be contemporary.

The only real problem with the space missions, was that it was on rails. This is not on rails so their definitely improving upon it. 

This IS a complete redesign. It never ceases to amuse me how people comment on articles that they havent even read x)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Space missions were one of the most fun I had in that game. Was a welcome change of pace to the whack a mole combat design with 50 boring skills to constantly monitor.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I will be subbing again for this.  Hopefully it will be a good addition to the game. It's not the "Jump to lightspeed" type xpac that I wanted but it's a start. Also, I don't know if I ever mentioned this to you guys before but I am the best Star Fighter pilot in the galaxy. Ask anybody. ;)

Stay on target! STAY ON TARGET!

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350
    SWG JTL absoutly sh**s on this thing.   they are trying to beat a dead horse but tis done man.  

It..Burns..

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

So, the entire expansion is going to be based around the PvP space battlegrounds?  Nothing else?  

Sigh, Bioware.  They just can't keep from stepping on their own dicks.  

Originally posted by guy232
    SWG JTL absoutly sh**s on this thing.   they are trying to beat a dead horse but tis done man.  

SWG doesn't shit on anything anymore.  

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Just terrible.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by guy232

SWTOR is far away to be a ¨dead horse¨ , and u may like it or not but this will bring really a lot of people back to the game. 

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i can already see it being a crap expansion. its just going to be another wz with star fox simulation implemented in it. god when are they adding meaning to open world pvp in swtor. screw it i wish they would bring swg back
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

This IS a complete redesign. It never ceases to amuse me how people comment on articles that they havent even read x)

I beg to differ.  They just took their bad design and took it off the rails.  Big deal.  SWG had a better design 10 years ago which is a lifetime in this industry.  Stop trying to make this something it is not.  EA is not going to commit the money to fix this, hence you just get mediocre changes that impress few.

This will not bring people back to the game.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    btw i just resubbed yesterday to find out that i was fucking bored in swtor -.- so wasted 15 buks >.<
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by aligada87
    btw i just resubbed yesterday to find out that i was fucking bored in swtor -.- so wasted 15 buks >.<

You didn't have to "resub" it's a f2p game. All you had to do was try f2p and then if you liked it sub.

But apparently that "mode of thinking" seems to be rare.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    ppl keep hating but swtor is pumping out alot of great content. and i hope this is gona be epic :)

I beg to differ.  They just took their bad design and took it off the rails.  Big deal.  SWG had a better design 10 years ago which is a lifetime in this industry.  Stop trying to make this something it is not.  EA is not going to commit the money to fix this, hence you just get mediocre changes that impress few.

So, taking a space mini-game rail-shooter and turning it into a free form PvP dogfight isn't a complete redesign of the space missions?  Some people are very hard to please, I guess.

My issue isn't with the re-design.  In fact, I like what they did with the space system.  I would have preferred free-form exploration, but we knew that wasn't going to happen.  But this is a very nice change.  My beef with it is that this is the ENTIRE expansion.  No new planets.  No continuation of the class stories.  Just the space re-design.  As nice as that is, I can't understand how they can consider this an actual expansion.  

SWTOR was released nearly two full years ago.  Pre-release, I remember Daniel Erickson (I believe) talking about how easy it would be to continue to add content in the form of new planets.  In fact, he made it sound like we would be bombarded with new planet after new planet.  Two years later, we've had two expansions, and a grand whopping total of ONE new planet added to the game.  One.  New.  Planet.  

I think they're bringing updates at a good rate, but they aren't bringing in enough new content, unless you consider changes to the cash shop new content.  

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Sounds good to me, the more stuff they bring us the better swtor will be!

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You can't rationalize peoples hate of this game. It doesn't matter what SWTOR does, haters are going to hate on it. Trying to explain why everything they do isn't bad in some way is just a waste of time.

This game should of had this in at launch, adding it now is long over due but good for the game all the same. Better late than never.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

Again go read about stuff before making a fool of yourself.

1) This is not the PvE space mission combat.

2) You will get new ships not the crew ones for this depending on your role from scout to fighter and your level.

3) There are tiers to level up where you will get customisation and upgraded as well as unique abilities for your ships (Here are ome of the icons http://imgur.com/a/ZyHmt/#18)

4) There are multiples modes as well as 8 new companions, companions are said to manage the ship during flight.

As you can see this not Space missions taken off the rails. You can see below some of the content from data mined from previous patches.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/1lw7p3/swtormined_notso_super_secret_space_project/