Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A modern Star Wars sandbox is there for the taking

None of this old republic nonsense. Huge numbers would welcome a gorgeous looking New Republic Star Wars Universe set in the era we truly want. Total sandbox. Yes we had galaxies but that's dated. 

I want to sit in the Cantina Bar at Mose Eisley deciding on my course of travel to another planet, I want to jump to light speed being chased down by a star destroyer, I want to visit Hoth and set up my dwellings, I want to visit Alderan and see the Jawas, I want to stow away on a cargo ship and infiltrate the Death Star . 

Become a rebel or enlist in the empire and find your own destiny. Explore a massive Star Wars universe. 

Why the hell haven't we got one???????????

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

Comments

• karbonistakarbonista Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Licensing.
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

Because game limitations. You can not simply put everything in a game. Have you thought about this at all?

If you are gonna randomly warp anywhere in space you need a full detailed galaxy for it. Ever seen X series? It only has space exploration and has almost non-existant textures and graphics and yet the game is over 8GB just for the space design. Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous will be fully space games with modern textures and then you will see how much big the games can get just in Space design.

Want full planets with complete design? Ever though about the workforce required to design them? WoW, a 10 year old game with a huge world and again outdated graphics has a 25+GB size just one for one big region. Most modern MMOs with big worlds go above 35GB. And it takes the devs years to design just one world. How do you think they will do a minimum of 10 worlds? Also, what about the infrastructure required to connect the happenings on multiple worlds seeing you want a full sandbox?

Most of the people here engage in wishful thinking not realising the practical possibility of it at all.

It just can not be done in today's standards.

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147
    They said it was impossible to put a man on the moon. They said it was impossible to do the 4 min mile. 

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    So.. add a nice graphics engine and it is the star trek holodeck? Sure!! Is it possible? Probably not for good while though.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

"Huge numbers", eh? Where did you pull that out?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Also, it took humanity how long to get to the moon? Yeah, if you are willing to wait that long then I'm sure this dream game of yours will happen. I'll probably be dead though cause I can't live 10000 years.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Lets see, Old Republic was announced 2008, released 2011, how long was it developed before 2008, I don't even know. 200 million dollars, some of the best developers out there, huge company, and we got the game everyone complains about.

Now... multiply years, millions of dollars, and company size by few times, and you will have rough estimate of what your wet fantasy game needs. Maybe somewere 30 years and few billions dollars from now the game you want will be finished. And people wil complain it has bad cooldowns and it isn't synchronized with your nervous system and oculus rift 5 well, that piece of s**t game. Cheers!

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I'm all for ambition but I'd rather have a game that does half of those stated things and does them extremely well.  Nail the crafting, nail the worlds, nail the combat and battles for dominance.  Even after that I'm not convinced that the Star Wars label doesn't come with at least as many drawbacks as it does positives for publishers looking to make a new space opera game.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by karbonista
    Licensing.

^ this

You can't sell the license to something for however many years then turn around and sell it again before the terms are up. EA has the rights to starwars mmos and Disney doesn't have any interest in making them. They'll make more on one movie than they'll ever make on an mmo.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

^ Agreed It is never going to happen because the license fee from Disney is something else...my suggestion is to build a sci fi game yourself in the Cry Engine 3, UDK, or Hero cloud. Why waste time with studios when you can do it yourself.  

Remember all these fun ideas for SWG after the NGE went live back in the day here on the site. It was on fire. Not a single game was developed

OP_ look for "The Repopulation".  

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by RogueTroopa

None of this old republic nonsense. Huge numbers would welcome a gorgeous looking New Republic Star Wars Universe set in the era we truly want. Total sandbox. Yes we had galaxies but that's dated. 

I want to sit in the Cantina Bar at Mose Eisley deciding on my course of travel to another planet, I want to jump to light speed being chased down by a star destroyer, I want to visit Hoth and set up my dwellings, I want to visit Alderan and see the Jawas, I want to stow away on a cargo ship and infiltrate the Death Star . 

Become a rebel or enlist in the empire and find your own destiny. Explore a massive Star Wars universe. 

I'd love it man...but the license was sold so we were screwed.  Games like Star Trek and Star Wars are perfect sandbox titles, but they have both been shamed...I don't mind a themepark rpg...but for that to be it, sucks..

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    So why does it need to be Star Wars?  Why not their own IP that they can fully control?

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

Lets see, Old Republic was announced 2008, released 2011, how long was it developed before 2008, I don't even know. 200 million dollars, some of the best developers out there, huge company, and we got the game everyone complains about.

Now... multiply years, millions of dollars, and company size by few times, and you will have rough estimate of what your wet fantasy game needs. Maybe somewere 30 years and few billions dollars from now the game you want will be finished. And people wil complain it has bad cooldowns and it isn't synchronized with your nervous system and oculus rift 5 well, that piece of s**t game. Cheers!

they started working on it in late '05/early '06

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

I'd like just a decent Themepark Star Wars game tbh.

I don't get why people are under the impression that Sandboxes are the savior of the MMO genre, or better than Themeparks. 

There's are reasons why they aren't very popular...

Two biggest reasons - Niche market, and Themeparks are more widely enjoyed.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    They said it was impossible to put a man on the moon. They said it was impossible to do the 4 min mile. 

You are correct.  It is possible to create what you want, but it will take 10s of millions of dollars with a huge collection of devs and years to create.  Then at release, no matter how much thought has gone into it, something will be missing.  You can't please everyone and that has been proven time and time again.  Besides, Star Wars means too many things to too many people.  There are people that that believe the Star Wars was about space exploration and want wide open space just for one. 

Then comes the major flaw with your thinking.  Besides Eve, Sandboxes do not bring the numbers needed for a company to recoup the investment needed for what you want.  Even with the Star Wars name it would fail.  Speculate all you want, but it wouldn't succeed, the umbers just aren't there and business decisions are based on numbers.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Latronus

You are correct.  It is possible to create what you want, but it will take 10s of millions of dollars with a huge collection of devs and years to create.  Then at release, no matter how much thought has gone into it, something will be missing.  You can't please everyone and that has been proven time and time again.  Besides, Star Wars means too many things to too many people.  There are people that that believe the Star Wars was about space exploration and want wide open space just for one. 

Then comes the major flaw with your thinking.  Besides Eve, Sandboxes do not bring the numbers needed for a company to recoup the investment needed for what you want.  Even with the Star Wars name it would fail.  Speculate all you want, but it wouldn't succeed, the umbers just aren't there and business decisions are based on numbers.

Anything is possible. Stop making excuses and start making solutions. They're all out there in gaming if you look.

Star wars is it's own formula.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because most players want to play Jedi fighting sith with light sabers instead of sitting in a virtual bar planning travel?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Because most players want to play Jedi fighting sith with light sabers instead of sitting in a virtual bar planning travel?

Sounds like some quick shits and giggles; like a nice fighting game. But why in the world would anyone want that in an MMORPG when it could be soooooo much more? That would just be careless and wasteful. Silly.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by FinalFikus
    Originally posted by Latronus

Anything is possible. Stop making excuses and start making solutions. They're all out there in gaming if you look.

Star wars is it's own formula.

So why aren't you finding out the aforementioned solutions? image

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Hey wait a second.... jawas aren't from Alderan!
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Hey wait a second.... jawas aren't from Alderan!

Ha, I thought I was the only one that noticed that....

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

I remember 100 vs 100 pvp battles in the old SWG game, something I have not seen in any games since.  Even with all  of its faults of the old SWG game, it had many things that was done better than todays games.

Yes, NSA used Atria computers to help put us on the moon, so there is hope that there may one day be a SWG type game out there that we will love to play.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I don't think as many people are as interested as you might think.

Most MMO fans either accept or stay away from TOR as it stands, and the majority of Star Wars fans enjoy the game as is and woudln't know the appeal of a sand box title.

So, DOA.

a yo ho ho

Originally posted by Acornia

I remember 100 vs 100 pvp battles in the old SWG game, something I have not seen in any games since.  Even with all  of its faults of the old SWG game, it had many things that was done better than todays games.

Yes, NSA used Atria computers to help put us on the moon, so there is hope that there may one day be a SWG type game out there that we will love to play.

100 vs 100 would most probably result in a zerg fest today.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by skyline385

Because game limitations. You can not simply put everything in a game. Have you thought about this at all?

If you are gonna randomly warp anywhere in space you need a full detailed galaxy for it. Ever seen X series? It only has space exploration and has almost non-existant textures and graphics and yet the game is over 8GB just for the space design...

It just can not be done in today's standards.

Not true. Not true at all.

Even with the limited technology Frontier: Elite was able to full system galaxies and able to jump anywhere. SWG was doing some of that was well, not to mention EVE is doing it on a massive scale.

You hypothesis is wrong. You don't render every single object in a space game/mmo. Generally they use the coordinate system and render only what the player can see at any particular instance in time. This is fact. It is written in papers about game development if you google it.