Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radeon 200 series arrives

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

AMD is launching seven "new" cards shortly for a new generation of hardware.  Two are genuinely new cards, two are retail versions of cards that had previously been OEM-only, and three are new bins of old GPU chips.

The two genuinely new cards are the Radeon R9 290X and Radeon R9 290, both based on AMD's Hawaii chip.  The cards aren't out yet, and are still under NDA, so we don't know the details.  However, we do know that these are to compete against Nvidia's GK110 chip, i.e., Titan and GTX 780.

The Radeon R9 280X is the Tahiti GPU chip, and this time clocked higher than the old Radeon HD 7970, but lower than a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition.  The Radeon R9 270X is Pitcairn, and basically a higher clocked Radeon HD 7870.  The Radeon R7 260X is Bonaire, and basically a higher clocked Radeon HD 7790 with 2 GB of video memory.

At the low end, we have the Radeon R7 250 and Radeon R7 240, both based on an Oland chip that was previously OEM-only.  This is to be AMD's new low end, and the cards are $90 and $70, respectively.  Both will have both a 1 GB GDDR5 version and a 2 GB DDR3 version; the latter exists only to give the clueless people who think that more video memory is the primary determinant of how good a video card is an AMD product to buy.

Hawaii is the most interesting launch, as we'll get to see if AMD can challenge Nvidia at the high end.  But the low end cards mean that $70 budget gaming cards with the latest and greatest architecture should be on the way, and that's also a welcome addition to the lineup.

The most interesting new feature is that the cards will now have the built-in capability to run three monitors without needing to use DisplayPort.  Rather, pick any three monitor ports, plug in monitors, and it should just work.  Sapphire had already made some custom cards to do this, but AMD is apparently bringing it to the entire lineup.

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Any idea on when we get some benchmarks?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Benchmarks for the middle three cards are out now, but largely predictable from older bins of the same chips.  For Hawaii, it's probably coming next week.  Rumors say October 15.
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r7_260x_r9_270x_280x_review_benchmarks,1.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/722-radeon-r9-270x-r7-260x/page10.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-9.html

Benchmarks, reviews of all 3 cards

Sadly, it's just old cards at a new name and a price difference. No technology jumping performance increase as far as i see. But the price drop is a bit welcoming though.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

*yawn*

The only news is here that there is no new news.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Yea... the cards themselves might be good...but ever since i ditched my 6870's due to Catalyst Control Center NEVER working, i decided to stick with Nvidia =/  still waiting on that Titan/780 price drop even if only a couple hundred...maybe we will see nvidia push their cards even further than the Titan now.

Originally posted by Odinthedark1
    Yea... the cards themselves might be good...but ever since i ditched my 6870's due to Catalyst Control Center NEVER working, i decided to stick with Nvidia =/  still waiting on that Titan/780 price drop even if only a couple hundred...maybe we will see nvidia push their cards even further than the Titan now.

Funny, everyone else can get CCC to work just fine.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Odinthedark1

Funny, everyone else can get CCC to work just fine.

IKR, i tried everything to fix it possible browsing google for, no joke, 6 hours straight...i think its possible my Windows 7 was corrupt as well as my .NET framework, it started after i updated my drivers, no matter how many times i launched CCC it wouldn't pop up. The funny thing is when i popped in my nvidia card nvidia control panel worked just fine...i've never seen anyone have that issue that couldn't fix it in all the forums i've looked up....but that frustration is in the past. Still that explanation is only gonna derail the topic, i really hope Nvidia does something to counter this soon, gotta love capitalism and competition.

TL:DR;  CCC may work for everyone else, but didn't for me. Hoping to see what nvidia does next.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Only one im interested in is 290x and with future support hopefully for mantle this card will top notch if the price is also reasonable priced.

Mantle if succes will bring AMD radeon to top as best fastest cards.

And offorse prolly super easy to port all consolegames to pc if mantle is supported like frostbite 3 with Battlefield 4.

Exciting times in common months im looking forward to all those benchmarks AMD kicking nvidia's ASS:p(HOPEFULLY)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Only thing I am waiting on is for the 7970 GHZ to drop just a little more so I can get another for Xfire.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    any thoughts on how the R290x will compare with my 7870? christmas is coming i might be able to squeeze an upgrade out of it :)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by aspekx
    any thoughts on how the R290x will compare with my 7870? christmas is coming i might be able to squeeze an upgrade out of it :)

The R9 270X is basically a 7870 clocked a little higher.  I'd expect the R9 290X to roughly double its performance.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by aspekx

The R9 270X is basically a 7870 clocked a little higher.  I'd expect the R9 290X to roughly double its performance.

thanks, much appreciated.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Only thing I am waiting on is for the 7970 GHZ to drop just a little more so I can get another for Xfire.

The R9 280X will crossfire with it (unsurprisingly, since they are the same cards). So I guess whichever one you can find for less cash.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon-r9-280x-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-compatible,24619.html

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

The R9 280X will crossfire with it (unsurprisingly, since they are the same cards). So I guess whichever one you can find for less cash.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon-r9-280x-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-compatible,24619.html

Interestingimage

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

Will it xfire with a 7950? It's Tahiti as well. I think....

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.