Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Poll! Death Penalty Poll

Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283

I have been dying for this poll and discussion about death penalties.

I voted for hefty and was super pumped seeing the % of the community that WANT death penalties: 62% of the people voting (at this time of posting) want some sort of punishing penalty (combing de-leveling, corpse runs and perma-death polls). 

https://www.everquestnext.com/round-table

I will post the poll just for our community, but please vote on the main website. .

Personally, I hope the EQN team creates separate servers for the people who want an easier game. I don't want them in my hard-core game complaining :-P. 

[Edit]

Wanting to play a hardcore version of EQN; I would like to ask the people that want minor, or no, death penalties for your reasons you want the game that way. Just for friendly curiosity and discussion. :-)

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Perm death really won't work unless entire game is build around it. and with today's player base its just not possible to get enough people who want it to support a game.

I think it should be personal losses because making it enough that you need full part well your going to loss lot of solo players or simply player who just started and don't have much friends. Or player who quit then return and they have no friends. Then they be stuck dead lol.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

I prefer immersion, so that usually ends up on the harsh DP side. 

I don't think that makes the game hard or me a hardcore player. It's just a game, if a DP is that important that you would avoid or play a game because of it,  you probably take games a little more serious than myself. Or "play" differently than me.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I am really torn on this subject. I play late at night on the west coast and sometimes that means you are soloing, so a to harsh death penalty would stink for me. I would not mind loosing xp or having items damaged, but needing other people to come save me might be tough. Don't get me wrong I will join a guild and party up as much as possible so I am not just some one wanting solo content I just don't want to be stuck not being able to play late at night or reduced to taking no chances.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

The problem is that, there's a balance between penalties that sting and penalties that can drive people away and not want to play.

EQ1's style of corpse runs, xp loss (which could lead to level loss) in this day and age will not fly for most people, they will quit when they see their work that went into making their characters being something that can be lost.

Also even though I was ok with that back then, when I was in high school , as I'm an adult now I wouldn't have the time.

I mean when you have a limited amount of time to play a game, a couple hours a day at most, the last thing that sounds like "fun" to you is having to go get your corpse back that could take up to 30 -minutes.

I however do not want death to be "meaningless" either, it needs to sting and you should not want o die.

There are other ways to impose a penalty without going so far off that it will make things seem too harsh. I think one of the ways is to look to a game like SWG.

In SWG one of the things that actually worked was how you gained "battle fatigue" when you fought (you didn't have to die, the more you fought and got hit the more it built up), this lowered your recovery times and the ability for you to heal wounds.

Eventually you would want to heal this fatigue and you did so by being entertained....

I know it might sound silly, but this actually helped promote social interaction between players and also made Taverns a place where people actually hung out, you had dancers /doctors and other people that would go there and help people healt heir wounds and get back to full health.

In EQnext I think a similar system would be nice, and it would give way to the Bard type of class (instead of dancers). They could have instruments on which they could play music (Like in LOTR, where you can make your own music and play the notes).  Whereby when you are near a bard your fatigue is healed over-time.

As well as things such as Item durability.

If crafting is going to be important in EQnext items need to have durability, and eventually they need to break (so people will eventually have to buy new gear and crafters would not run out of need). A healthy player  economy is one that keeps turning and isn't depedent on just "new" people.

So as you fight in combat items should lose durability, this durability can be "repaired" by crafters, however when you die the item takes a hit to it's "overall durability" which can NOT be repaired.

Eventually after dying too many times that item becomes broken and you will need to buy another one (or find one).

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Aion tried the harsh xp penatly at original launch, coupled with expensive healing fees.

That worked well - not

People where running round with whole levels penalized and they couldn't afford to heal up. So they didn't heal up, they got frustrated with the whole thing and left.

Yes, it's cool on here to say Perma death, really harsh penalty etc etc. But the devs will run a mile from something that is going to put many people off, and not just the small minority on here.

Anyway I'll join the cool chat - I vote for Perma Death, spontaneous keyboard combustion, and varying degrees of electric shock through the mouse.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I am not sure Democracy is a good way to ensure quality. :/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Ya  I'd love to see a battle fatigue type DP again.

An entertainer in swg was a completely unique experience that no one has even attempted to duplicate except maybe LOTRO. But there was no gameplay elements to it.

Ill gladly take that DP if healing battle fatigue required a bard. That was a fantastic Death penalty and system to remove it.

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Aion tried the harsh xp penatly at original launch, coupled with expensive healing fees.

That worked well - not

People where running round with whole levels penalized and they couldn't afford to heal up. So they didn't heal up, they got frustrated with the whole thing and left.

Yes, it's cool on here to say Perma death, really harsh penalty etc etc. But the devs will run a mile from something that is going to put many people off, and not just the small minority on here.

Anyway I'll join the cool chat - I vote for Perma Death, spontaneous keyboard combustion, and varying degrees of electric shock through the mouse.

It's not cool to imply something, when Permadeath works fantastic when you design around it.

The DP must fit the game and game play. transplanting ideas is what fails. Im sure you know that though since that's what you did to make your point.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

I am all in for anything that gives a social aspect to the game. For me MMO’s nowdays fail horrible on the social aspect, and only focus on the “me, me, me” aspect, no raiding in wow is not social anymore its “can I benefit from this raid, then I’ll attend! – when I got my loot I really don’t care about my guild” … Death penalty in EQ1 was cool, it was annoying but still cool – it added social aspect, because you had to talk to clerics around the world to get em to come res you – I made quite a few friends that way, they helped me, I helped them – we were social!

I am against the cost of death, but for the idea of social gameplay .. i hate to pay for my deaths

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Interesting that the dev team are even asking questions like this, but I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that they will actually implement any kind of DP in a game designed to have "mass appeal".

Perhaps they'll opt for some token DP like a 10 second delay on respawning, or something equally trivial.

The only massively accepted DP will be no DP... image

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Interesting that the dev team are even asking questions like this, but I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that they will actually implement any kind of DP in a game designed to have "mass appeal".

Perhaps they'll opt for some token DP like a 10 second delay on respawning, or something equally trivial.

The only massively accepted DP will be no DP... image

You haven't played EverQuest, have you?

Also, even WoW has a death penalty, thus it's not massively accepted?

Seeing that all the dev quotes below the poll lean towards a definite DP (but not too harsh), and that a great majority of the poll respondees lean towards some kind of DP, I'd say there will for sure be a DP.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ2 at launch went overboard with one person dieing giving a death penalty to the entire group

it doesn't have go that far

but i miss the corpse runs and how the community could assist each other

I liked the methods of EQ2 shards and DAOC tombstones for exp recovery

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Minor Penalty, I choose you!
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I feel like Permadeath actually hinders gameplay and progression. You have to consider how many times you might die in a raid on hard mode until you have your mechanics just right. If there is a permadeath penalty, or even a substantial penalty, then I feel like people will take fewer risks and make less progress. So you would either need to make easier PvE instances or allow people to obtain the highest level of gear from easier encounters, at which point, what's the point to running raids? 

Not to mention, permadeath tends to lead to people caring waaaaaay too much about the game. I'm all about people being invested in a game, but not to the point of being complete dbags. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Elikal

Well, to be honest it's not like they're going to actually use the poll in any meaningful way. They proved that with the class restriction poll not long ago.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Games with no death penalty are just awful. Even GW2 gives you a repair build and that game is about as casual friendly as you can get. I chose the middle of the road one just because I think if you make the penalty too harsh you get people away from exploration and that seems to be a key part of this games development.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

An entertainer in swg was a completely unique experience that no one has even attempted to duplicate except maybe LOTRO. But there was no gameplay elements to it.

Ill gladly take that DP if healing battle fatigue required a bard. That was a fantastic Death penalty and system to remove it.

This sounds similar to rez sickness in DAOC.  I would support a system like this.  For those who don't know, if you died and had to revive, you received a debuff which penalized your stats to the point where it would be a bad idea to attempt combat.  You could wait 5 minutes for it to wear off, or pay a moderate fee to remove it faster.  If they made it so bards or some class could remove it in taverns, and receive tips, I would support a system like that.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Missing e) Death rewarding ,fast travel + achievement because of  getting killed. Like dwarf killed me = 5 achievement points (wow standards)

Or maybe something new like I get opponents items when he kills me(next gen).

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Voted for harsh XP penalty.  Not gonna happen but nothing wrong with dreaming    

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by Ender4

Games with no death penalty are just awful. Even GW2 gives you a repair build and that game is about as casual friendly as you can get. I chose the middle of the road one just because I think if you make the penalty too harsh you get people away from exploration and that seems to be a key part of this games development.

I was gonna say how stupid a idea that was and how nobody would want to play such a passive role any more. Then I remembered we are going to be able to switch out classes.  I changed my mind.  ( a rare occurance on these forums) and I think it would be a

great idea =)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I voted for corpse runs, However XP loss and all that is fine aswell. The one important thing for me is that Death is acualy somthing u realy want to advoid not like nowaday games where they are just fast travel. Death penalty helps with immersion and bring the world alive atleast to me it does.
  • MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

I agree with this. It was a good system. It made death in the game effective. But it also made people more sociable. SWG was great when you'd run into the cantina and there was always a large group of people there chatting and the entertainers who were generally quite friendly. So while death was a pain in the arse,  it also meant people had to actually interact! A bit of downtime and social interaction. Imagine that, people having to interact in an MMO...maybe that would be taking it too far....

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Elikal

Don't worry. SOE doesn't care much for the poll results anyway. But that doesn't guarantee quality either. ;)

I am quite sure SOE will choose one of the two options at the bottom.

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

This round table poll completely puzzles me. Considering all the other decisions SOE as taken I'm 99,9% certain that they don't want any type of death penalty in the game that goes beyond the ghost-runs in WoW. Anything else would be a complete turnaround.

It seems like they are digging themselves a grave with this poll. I'm sure that if someone other then SOE had made this poll, there would be s lot of people saying that it was totally biased towards a harsh death penalty. It isn't, but at least it lets us express very clearly what we want. It even includes permadeath which is a quite extreme feature.

By contrast the poll about fast-travel was kind of rigged, because it didn't included a single option that was clearly against fast-travel.

So why did they make the poll like this. They must have guessed beforehand that the community would vote this way. At least I would have guessed that. One possibility would be that ther is some kind of internal struggle. Maybe there is someone in the dev-team that wants to demonstrate that the community doesn't like the whole casual route the game has taken.

It is also interesting that the poll on this forum shows a similar picture as the one on the round table. So the opinion on this forum is actually quite representative.

Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

I agree with this. It was a good system. It made death in the game effective. But it also made people more sociable. SWG was great when you'd run into the cantina and there was always a large group of people there chatting and the entertainers who were generally quite friendly. So while death was a pain in the arse,  it also meant people had to actually interact! A bit of downtime and social interaction. Imagine that, people having to interact in an MMO...maybe that would be taking it too far....

Really friendly Ents?  No sayin your lying. No real point in doing so.  Just all the Ents I ever saw were non talking bots.  Still I wold like to see a similar class Ingame