Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that free month has ended, so have the login queues

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Once the 1st free month was over, I honestly did expected to see some reduction in the active players within the game as of this week. I didn't think the reduction would be at all drastic but it would have been at least noticeable. I certainly expected that I'd never see a queue again after the subscription period started. But last night, I was in a queue. It was totally unexpected to be honest. And logging in, Everywhere, every zone, there were as many players populating the game as ever.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Once the 1st free month was over, I honestly did expected to see some reduction in the active players within the game as of this week. I didn't think the reduction would be at all drastic but it would have been at least noticeable. I certainly expected that I'd never see a queue again after the subscription period started. But last night, I was in a queue. It was totally unexpected to be honest. And logging in, Everywhere, every zone, there were as many players populating the game as ever.

I'm never in queues so...GAME IS A FLAMING FAILURE OF DONKEY POOOOOOOOOOO.

But yeah...must be the time you are logging in.  :P

The people straining to take this as anything one way or the other, just...sigh.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

From 6PM-9PM CST Mon-Frid, I normally see a small queue (30s and below).  The server is packed.  I see lots of people, typically crafters in the cities or the 45+ crowd running fates.

The game is healthy so far.  That much is certain.  The real test isn't 2.1, which IMO will drop next month.  The real test will be the first big patch after that.

SE needs to continually release content.  More specifically:  Quests and new classes, in order to keep people invested in the game.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'm never in queues so...GAME IS A FLAMING FAILURE OF DONKEY POOOOOOOOOOO.

But yeah...must be the time you are logging in.  :P

The people straining to take this as anything one way or the other, just...sigh.

Straining? Last night I was number 11 in a log in queue. That is a simple fact. Without any opinion or subjectivity. The servers were simply full. That's all there is to it. So while "GAME IS A FLAMING FAILURE OF DONKEY POOOOOOOOOOO" is subjective, The servers being fully populated is not sujective. And for......."GAME IS A FLAMING FAILURE OF DONKEY POOOOOOOOOOO" it's still doing very well after the 1st milestone.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

We have now entered phase three of the mmo haters manifesto. Let the goal post moving begin!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The only thing I've really noticed is a lot of the eyeball mounts running around now. I think they are more common than the Magitek mount.

It's a lil more quiet during the daytime weekdays, but weekends are still packed with a dungeon queue time over more than 30min with a premade group (I hope they fix this soon, although it's fairly low on my list of "crap I wish they would fix soon").

Time will tell. 2.1 will make or break it through the holidays really.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

The first and second paragraph are contradictionary. New content costs money, money is generated by having a large playerbase.

You only need 5000 people to fill up a server, but you need tons more to develop content at a rate that is in line with how fast the majority of players complete it without resorting to using more grind in the design than the players can deal with.

A game like Ryzom can survive with a small population - an AAA MMO can not.

Money is generated by having enough of a playerbase to allow for investment into more content and making a profit. It doesnt necessarily need to be "large." No developer will be able to create content faster than its consumed by the players ... not anytime soon at least. Ill never understand why anyone thinks an MMO needs millions of players to continue or stay P2P... it doesnt.

FFXIV likely made its investment back with its initial sales ... most of these MMO's do, otherwise they wouldve shut down almost immediately (see APB). MMOs have the luxury of being able to scale back its resources as needed. Obviously itd make less profit but, theoretically, an MMO can survive off a single server and a handful of developers so long as the execs dont pull the plug (or go F2P) because its not making "enough" to make it worth their while.

This is why companies like SE can keep a ten year old, low pop game like FFXI running P2P for so long. Why Trion Worlds can keep a modern game like Rift running for 2-3 years P2P while EA converts SWTOR in 6 months with a huge population (in comparison).

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Kayo45

The first and second paragraph are contradictionary. New content costs money, money is generated by having a large playerbase.

You only need 5000 people to fill up a server, but you need tons more to develop content at a rate that is in line with how fast the majority of players complete it without resorting to using more grind in the design than the players can deal with.

Money is generated by having enough of a playerbase to allow for investment into more content and making a profit. It doesnt necessarily need to be "large." No developer will be able to create content faster than its consumed by the players ... not anytime soon at least. Ill never understand why anyone thinks an MMO needs millions of players to continue or stay P2P... it doesnt.

FFXIV likely made its investment back with its initial sales ... most of these MMO's do, otherwise they wouldve shut down almost immediately (see APB). MMOs have the luxury of being able to scale back its resources as needed. Obviously itd make less profit but, theoretically, an MMO can survive off a single server and a handful of developers so long as the execs dont pull the plug (or go F2P) because its not making "enough" to make it worth their while.

This is why companies like SE can keep a ten year old, low pop game like FFXI running P2P for so long. Why Trion Worlds can keep a modern game like Rift running for 2-3 years P2P while EA converts SWTOR in 6 months with a huge population (in comparison).

But you must understand that the size of the playerbase has direct effects on the sustainability of the game. Of course any MMO can survive with few players, but most will leave if the devs don't make enough content for them. This is why on an individual level the size of the playerbase very much matters. If your game's playerbase is big, the chances that lots of content will be coming in the future are better. It is akin to a forecast that you can use to predict where your game is headed.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BlazeIVBlazeIV Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    The queue issue was fixed back when they added an afk timer.

Wrong, this issue was fixed long before that.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Kayo45

But you must understand that the size of the playerbase has direct effects on the sustainability of the game. Of course any MMO can survive with few players, but most will leave if the devs don't make enough content for them. This is why on an individual level the size of the playerbase very much matters. If your game's playerbase is big, the chances that lots of content will be coming in the future are better. It is akin to a forecast that you can use to predict where your game is headed.

I disagree.  Sustainability of the playerbase is what matters, not its size.  It doesn't matter if it is 50,000 players or 7 million players, if your game is mismanaged and you can't kick out content fast enough; people will quit.  That's partly why WOWs number dip at the end of every expansion, and the jump when an expansion or content update is released.  Blizzard releases expansions in 2 yr intervals and content updates at roughly 6 month intervals.  Most content is cleared in 1-2 months.  Not everyone can be SOE and EQ, who've been doing it for 14 years.  They've developed a toolset that allows them to quickly build a game.  Sure, the graphics are extremely outdated, but that doesn't change the fact that they quickly dish out quite a bit of content every 6 months - 1 yr.

If a game is to be healthy and survive, they need enough players to turn a profit and have money left over to kick out content.   Games can be quite healthy at 100k-200k.  You don't need a million players to be a success.  WOW is an anomaly in the MMO genre.  Blizzard dropped the game at the right time.  People were tired of EQ and DAOC and wanted something "new" (even if it is a polished turd).

In the first 3-6 months of a game, the population will fluctuate depending on content releases and new subscriptions.  Once it stabilizes for a month, you'll know how "healthy" the game is.  From that point, adjustments can be made to maintain that population.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    The queue issue was fixed back when they added an afk timer.

This really.  But the queue times were incredibly short already after they did the major maintenance and increased capacity!

Nice try tho OP.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

The best meter of success is how many haters that don't even play have the urge to come trash the game in any given thread. The insecurities show like Bruce Willis' baldness.

I never understand this logic. If people dislike a video game they are insecure? what?

Originally posted by Zalmon

The best meter of success is how many haters that don't even play have the urge to come trash the game in any given thread. The insecurities show like Bruce Willis' baldness.

I never understand this logic. If people dislike a video game they are insecure? what?

Clearly you don't. If people dislike a video game they don't come and endlessly discuss it on the forums. It takes an entirely different kind of person to go out of their way to trash said game, especially when they don't even play it.

Normal people ignore or are apathetic towards something they dislike. Why wouldn't they be?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Clearly you don't. If people dislike a video game they don't come and endlessly discuss it on the forums. It takes an entirely different kind of person to go out of their way to trash said game, especially when they don't even play it.

Normal people ignore or are apathetic towards something they dislike. Why wouldn't they be?

well, complaints can often be justified, especially if a game promises something and then turns out to be a complete let down, that has happened a lot in the last couple of years, the hype train is the biggest culprit imo, the more a game is hyped, and then doesnt deliver on that hype, resulting in a huge amount of hate afterwards from people who got suckered into buying into the hype. FFXIV:ARR actually falls into the opposite category in my mind, its a game that wasnt expected to really deliver much, especially after the initial launch that was almost an abject lesson in bad.. and turned out to be an excellent game that far exceeded expectations, personally i place the game as being in the top 5 current MMO's, so much so i even coughed up for an authenticator token to help protect my account. I can see this game going the long haul, which is a very pleasant surprise, after so many games have let me down  image

• TreespiderTreespider Member Posts: 28

To the Op this game was only design for a 500k avg for the first year and 200k for the remainder of the years. Paid subscriptions. Not including the sells that they surpassed . They planned on only selling 250k copies in the first month. They sold like 2.2million copies. Hard to find the real data on the digital downloads though. This game is healthy as can be. FFXI sold like only 2.5million copies in first 6 years and  lasted for over 10+  years. One thing square is good about is controlling the cost on a mmo, The dev cost on ff14 failure , though almost cost them bankrupt and there other titles they got were all bad in last 6 years.

FFXI Is square most profitable game they every made. With only a avg lifetime of 200k users. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is

This so see numbers on ffxi and this what there going for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI

FFXI though never went to there core playerbase that ffxiv is going for so there is going be a lot more users coming and going. Then you add in the casual PC mmo crowd.  

Hardcore players either hate it, or you might enjoy it , or you just waiting to see what happens in next few months. 

I feel this game going be in good shape. It not like a EA game or some other messed up Big companies.

The Big key though is 2.1,  will it be great or lame. Then they might need to get into the big boys pants.  OR hide in there corner. 

Originally posted by Treespider

To the Op this game was only design for a 500k avg for the first year and 200k for the remainder of the years. Paid subscriptions. Not including the sells that they surpassed . They planned on only selling 250k copies in the first month. They sold like 2.2million copies. Hard to find the real data on the digital downloads though. This game is healthy as can be. FFXI sold like only 2.5million copies in first 6 years and  lasted for over 10+  years. One thing square is good about is controlling the cost on a mmo, The dev cost on ff14 failure , though almost cost them bankrupt and there other titles they got were all bad in last 6 years.

Who are you, their accountant? No such info has ever released into the public.

In other news, 93,2% of statistics are made up on the fly.

• hakiredhakired Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 30
    Same here. I'm waiting what will happen in the 2.1 to help me decide wheter to sub or not. 
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Treespider

Who are you, their accountant? No such info has ever released into the public.

In other news, 93,2% of statistics are made up on the fly.

Actually it was released in a presser at TGS, live under a rock?

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Had you read the OP and then taken what I wrote, the 'ghost town' as an example of what OP might have been thinking when he made his statement, you would see that I was not making a stance, just making an example.

I read the post and I understood what you were saying.

I was simply responding to the idea of someone predicting the game would become a ghost town at any rate. It would be hyperbole. That's all I was getting at. Who said it, or why they said it really makes no difference in that context.

Relax. It's just a discussion.

As to your opinions, let me counter by saying some people play MMO's to simply have a limited social interaction with other people who play MMO's. To them population is the biggest reason to play. Again not my personal stance, but it is an opinion I have seen other express.

My point being; for those people that IS the games worth, and your gauge does not necessarily work for all other MMO players. It works for you, fine happy for you however, don't try and push your gauge on me, as my outlook and desires for a game differ from yours.

I wasn't pushing anything on "you". I was making a general statment at and about no one in particular, as there are many people I've seen make the "ghost town after the first 30 days" claim, even without your reference to it. I'm just voicing my overall opinion of the situation. Don't take it so much to heart.

There's a lot of people who seem to weigh their decision on whether or not to play a MMO on how many people are playing it. In my opinion, even being someone who values social interaction (and I very much am that type; social interaction ranks among the most important parts of a MMO for me), there is realistically only a small portion of the overall player base that I will ever get to know and interact with over my time playing it, whether the population is seven hundred or seven million.

For me, worrying about how many others there are seems superfluous at that point. As long as the game is healthy enough for the developers to keep it going so I may continue to play and interact with the people in my own circle, that's all that matters.

Again, not "pushing" anything.. just sharing my opinion on the subject.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I am in no way a FF XIV fan, in fact I expect it to be a ghost town within a year personally. However I still have to defend this. The normal game retention for a MMORPG is less than 50% after the free time. WoW is just about the only game that really beat this. Within 3 months after release I'd consider retaining 25% of the player base to be a big success. GW2 did this, very few other recently released MMORPG have done it. It should come as absolutely no surprise that they have lost players after release, it is completely normal.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

The problem with MMO players these days is its all the "go go go" mentality, lets be first at this, be first at that which means burning through content as quickly as possible, skipping lots of other content to get to the max then burn themselves out on whats at the end.  At the end of the day, its the players fault, not the developers for not being able to push out content quick enough.  Yes, thats a factor because sustainability is a true thing but the players are the ones who rush to the end and Im part to blame for my burn out with the game.  I rushed, hit 50, ran Amdapor 192831 times and havent logged on since.  They made a fantastic game, leaps and bounds better then 1.0 and Im sure Id still be playing it if I hadnt rushed.  

This happens in every new mmo that releases.  People rush to the end and then say the games end game sucks.  Its almost as if leveling content should come last and end content should be built first just to feed the rush crowd.

Dr Phil is that you?

Still doesn't explain why would a person be insecure to trash a game. For all we know these people are having a laugh in their free time watching fans squirming in their mouth.

And yet, it happens.

People get a bug in their @$$ over something. Maybe they feel wronged by SE. Or, maybe they once posted their opinion and someone else challenged them and now they have taken up their cause and haven't realized it might be time to move on. The problem is, people are entitled to their opinions. But it's another thing when they make stuff up that's false but try to pass it off saying. That's my opinion. Someone else calls them out. And thus it begins. It can also go the other way where a criticism is justifiable but someone else won't allow that to be posted without a fight.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Fortunately for FF 14, right around the time that a larger portion of people are going to be tired of the endgame, patch 2.1 is going to hit which has a good amount of new stuff to do.   New stuff to endgame grind, some pvp, housing and all that.

It's a themepark after all, it needs stuff like that, so that's what they're doing. 

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

Ignorance is bliss?

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Still hit Ques at 2am

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link