Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are you a Leader or a Follower in your mmo gaming?

TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I'm a follower. After years of mmo gaming I have come to recognize this about myself and how it shapes my enjoyment of games.

Do you think that your disposition of being leader or follower effects your preference in Themeparks or Sandboxes?

What do you look for in a leader?

what do you look for in a follower?

Do you think your preference of being leader or follower effects how you approach grouping?

For you followers, how do you go about finding a leader in mmos? can you enjoy a grouping game without finding that leader?

discuss please. I'm looking for insights that could help.

Comments

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Good question.

I put follower.

I would rather inspire the leaders. Or give them a cause that requires a leader. I 'll lead newbs to that cause if possible, but I'd rather see others enjoying the game with me. Flipping that hardcore switch in people is pretty neat, pretty easy too.

They don't make too many games like that anymore. EVE or Darkfall maybe.

Just being a guild leader that maybe organizes pve events, I could care less about.

Edit: I approach joining guilds or groups probably differently than most. I prefer to reach or get close to my own goals before joining others. I prefer to be an asset if I can. I dont like asking others to help achieve my goals or being used to reach theirs.

I usually join guilds when I can offer more than ill require, which isnt often.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Used to be a leader.

Never putting myself through that aggravation ever again.

Tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Follower. And the confused one to boot.

You know the one that is always way back trying to find where the hell everyone went ?

hehe

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    @lobotomist,I am the same. I always wonder where everyone went. Especially in MMOs where you skip lots of mobs in dungeons.

Btw what do leaders do in MMOs? Do you mean like guild leaders who do all the organising of raids etc? If thats what you mean, I am definitely not a leader. This is extremely time consuming and mentally exhausting.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Both.

I typically play Warlock/Summoner classes so I can do everything my self. But if a good leader comes along i have no problem following them into the inferno. BUT! If the "leader"/tank is terrible I have no problem using my pet to tank and leaving them behind or leading a group to victory. This is all in PvE though.

In PvP I am always 100% the leader.

Because, I want everyone to know whose responsible for whatever opponent I destroy.

//Sadistic Laugh

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Been an officer a few times and i've noticed i don't like the added "responsibility", so i voted follower. I rather not have my gaming experience hindered by duties and responsibilities, not that i can't, i just don't enjoy it enough to warrant it.

I'm all happy at the back of the bus.

In a group / guild / clan, leaders will always emerge, when none are "chosen". pre-chosen (friends of the GM, first ones to join, oldest members) are generally worst "leaders" & officers from what i've experienced and those that emerge are the better ones.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

LEADER. Initially not by choice when me and my brothers first started playing MMO's (ME +2 brothers) they wanted me to start a guild we ran it together but I was always the big push for progress. During my first mmo we met 7 people who we still game with today. If we ever start a new MMO it always fall to me to start guild but I don't mind anymore because I know i'll have at least half a dozen decent officers under me.

About a year ago I joined a big US guild sinister swarm and to start with was happy just following but after a while there rules which were substantial and sometimes to the detriment of peoples fun. I realised that I needed to be in charge so always happy to run a friendly open guild and I get to make non daft decisions.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by Fusion

In a group / guild / clan, leaders will always emerge, when none are "chosen". pre-chosen (friends of the GM, first ones to join, oldest members) are generally worst "leaders" & officers from what i've experienced and those that emerge are the better ones.

Absolutely. 

Same in RL, too.

Ya great observation. I agree as well.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Deffinately follower. I tried being a leader and it's good and everything but you actualy have to know stuff and be bothered working it out and have some degree of passion towards the game your playing for it to work. Can't be bothered anymore since half way through WoW BC when I stopped raiding and just decided to be a back line dpser. Much less effort required.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• mordaki987mordaki987 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    niether i play mmos to have fun not to be a leader or follower.  mmos are meant strictly for the purpose of being neither a leader or follower you play to have fun nothing more
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    @lobotomist,I am the same. I always wonder where everyone went. Especially in MMOs where you skip lots of mobs in dungeons.

Hehe especially because I like to admire story, and graphics. So I always get lost listening to some NPC or watching some wall :D

But I actually led the party of noobs - first time in Twillight Arbour (via LFG tool in GW2) few days ago , none of us ever did it. On the end I took part of leading , and actually everyone congratulated me on the end.

So who knows. Still I am much more comfortable being lost , late for fight , but giving good support :)

• TheRealBanangoTheRealBanango Member UncommonPosts: 89

For me it depends on the situation and how well i know the game mechanics, but generally I like to follow just because it's less of a hassle in the long run. The times I do like to lead is when the sole purpose is to have fun (rather than to accomplish goals) for example, leading a raid on an enemy village/town/city knowing beforehand we have no chance. I like to lead these kind of events and strategize on how we can stay alive the longest or the best entry point, how we can kill the most people, etc.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Im a leader in real life.

Its relaxed, to just follow :)

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Follower with a bit of maverick in me.

I wanna log in and play without any responsibility whatsoever. Tell me what/who to shoot or stab at and I'll do so until I'm bored and decide to do things my way.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    If the group requires it I will step up to lead. Following a good leader is a real good experience, a bad one is awful. :)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I picked the nice Hornblower pie of course, what else? :)

But to put aside the inner hobbit self, it's a pretty n/a question, or like mordaki987 wrote "i play mmos to have fun not to be a leader or follower". Exploration, story, crafting and roleplay doesn't need either of them. Guilds, well I'd never poke an elitist, raiding guild with a 10-foot pole, and in a fun, social, rp kin / guild there are no leaders, only founders, coordinators, recruiters, bartenders :)

That's leaving group content, where the question is n/a as well to me. A good group (even if only a pug) is communicating and can coordinate the danc... the fight I mean, and if there's new folks among the group then describe the mechanics to them, making suggestions, etc. without any leader.

What do you look for in a leader? what do you look for in a follower? No strict distinction I guess, simply communication. Maybe clear, informative telling from one end, and an open mind to listen and understand from the other. Not a leader-follower setting, rather a teacher-student one.

Do you think your preference of being leader or follower effects how you approach grouping? Nope, for a new instance/raid I like to listen and learn the details, and if I'm the experienced one then I Iike to dishing out the knowledge as well :)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Pie.

I only lead when I know I could do things better. Depending on games and the people you play with, it can be a significant burden. Unless you're playing with a tight knit group, it is more like herding cats. Its usually not worth the effort. I also find I burn out pretty quickly if I'm in charge, so I tend to avoid it as much as possible. Then again if I think I could contribute more by leading, but can't be arsed to do so, I will likely quit soon anyway.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    I don't mind being a follower when the leader is good. Good means not only knowledge of the game, but also not being an arrogant asshat. Sadly, many high end guild leaders have an ego bigger than mount everest...

My computer is better than yours.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Follower

I have learned over the years im best following as a second hand right man- A Lieutenant if you will that helps the Leader guide the whole guild. A motivational booster, that keeps spirits high! -  The last time I joined a guild, I was put in a low ranking position- and at the end when the leader who I wanted to follow and help lead decided to leave. The enemy in the guild who I disliked the most, ended up becoming the leader and promoted me to lieutenant/sub-leader. My responsibility list went up, but the thing is I thought of the new leader as more of a follower. He was nothing like first leadership, for me things fell apart fast, eventually he decided to make a new guild under a fresh name.

I was attached to the status and name and progress we have made, as the servers we're newly put up- and we had made a name for ourselves. Disconnected from my guild- things just ended up becoming boring, so I left for a couple of months and came back. Everything fell apart it seems, and the guild was no more but a shadow of the past. I don't join guilds that often these days, and the guild Iv joined before that was many years ago. Maybe I'm not much of a guild person, but when I do join a guild under a high ranking position. I am at my very best, and I should never become the leader- as that always ends up in chaos, since even though i'm a dedicated sub-leader, I'm not cut out for the leadership responsibility list.

I'm one hell of a sub-leader! ;D go me!

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    If there's leading to be done, I'm usually the one doing it, it's a natural thing.  I just don't get into positions where leading or following is even an issue in MMOs very often.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I lead only myself.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I like pie and because I don't really subscribe to being a leader nor a follower, that's the option I chose.  Depending on the game, I'll lead or follow.  It really depends on the mood I'm in.

I'm pessimistic.  Either I'm leading a bunch of idiots, or following an idiot.  In either case, I'm having to deal with idiots.  The only real question would be whether or not being a leader or follower will minimize the impact of being with those idiots.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I'm a team player but I'm one of those who gets picked out of the crowd to be an officer. Probably because I help out a lot. I think I personally prefer to have some influence but not lead, but it doesn't usually end up that way. So I clicked Leader because it's how the pattern shapes up over time.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I'm a tank so alittle bit of both depending upon the situation

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Mmm delicious warm baked pie :-)