Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that free month has ended, so have the login queues

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
Or so I would have believed, but I just hit No. 11 in the queue on my server.

Comments

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    The queue issue was fixed back when they added an afk timer.
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    same.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Or so I would have believed, but I just hit No. 11 in the queue on my server.

You clearly take these forums entirely too seriously.  :)

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66

I've hit a queue a few times ranging from 3rd in line to 115, but a minute or two later I'm playing.

/shrug

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

He is trying to say that nobody has stopped playing and the servers are packed because he had to queue.

Problem is queues don't really mean anything, just as when they needed to increase server caps they can decrease server caps just as easily in preperation of the player loss and also many will be staying online to give the illusion of full servers while they goto bed or work, the afk kicker is easy to block.

This was very popular on FFXI, many would never log to inflate player numbers.

The problem honestly with what you're trying to accomplish with this thread is you're showing the exact opposite, your fear of failure.  If you were genuinly confident you wouldn't make a thread like this and indeed you wouldn't defend it so strongly either because you wouldn't need to.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by amber-r

He is trying to say that nobody has stopped playing and the servers are packed because he had to queue.

Problem is queues don't really mean anything, just as when they needed to increase server caps they can decrease server caps just as easily in preperation of the player loss and also many will be staying online to give the illusion of full servers while they goto bed or work, the afk kicker is easy to block.

The problem honestly with what you're trying to accomplish with this thread is you're showing the exact opposite, your fear of failure.  If you were genuinly confident you wouldn't make a thread like this and indeed you wouldn't defend it so strongly either because you wouldn't need to.

Wow, you read a lot more than I did into his one sentence 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

They added an AFK timer making your argument kind of moot......  

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Wow, you read a lot more than I did into his one sentence 

One has to otherwise you will not garner any intelligent debate from the OP.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

lol this is so good

first SE lowers the server caps because...uuuhhhhh... higher server cap is a huge strain on the servers, and also stuff. It consumes more electricity and the server room is much warmer than usual, making the technicians' work more difficult. All the more reason to lower the cap.

second the players care about how full the servers seem and go out of their way to fake them being full. This is because FFXIV:ARR is not a video game meant for entertainment, it is the playerbase's own little baby that they must protect.

with arguments like these I don't see what the ARR playerbase has to fear.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Congratulations, ARR. The real test has begun and the playerbase is as massive as ever.

Now, it is time to move the start of the "real test" to "after X months", and afterwards "after X years". As this is what the haters do when they are proven to be completely and utterly wrong.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I don't give a crap if SE is playing tricks to inflate their numbers. I don't care if the game flops in 6 months. What matters to me is that I'm having fun now.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    What's up with the obsession people have about whether the game is doing fantastic or just mediocre? It's almost seems some won't play or enjoy a game unless the whole world is playing it. Do we need that external validation.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

He is trying to say that nobody has stopped playing and the servers are packed because he had to queue.Problem is queues don't really mean anything, just as when they needed to increase server caps they can decrease server caps just as easily in preperation of the player loss and also many will be staying online to give the illusion of full servers while they goto bed or work, the afk kicker is easy to block.This was very popular on FFXI, many would never log to inflate player numbers. The problem honestly with what you're trying to accomplish with this thread is you're showing the exact opposite, your fear of failure.  If you were genuinly confident you wouldn't make a thread like this and indeed you wouldn't defend it so strongly either because you wouldn't need to.

WoW! this is GOLD! You really assume all that from one sentence? The arrogance of youth is just amazing at times. Perhaps, just throwing this out there, he was surprised that he had a queue because, much like others he expected a ghost town? There are many way's to take his statement. The OPINIONS and assumptions you make in your last paragraph are, in my opinion, baseless. But a good laugh nonetheless.

FFXIV is just fine. Not sure what all the fuss is about. It has a very loyal fan base and decent numbers and I suspect nothing much will change as far as population over the following months.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I'll give it one month till it goes F2P.

:P

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    What's up with the obsession people have about whether the game is doing fantastic or just mediocre? It's almost seems some won't play or enjoy a game unless the whole world is playing it. Do we need that external validation.

Yes. Many people do, and demonstrate it quite publicly.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Hatefull

WoW! this is GOLD! You really assume all that from one sentence? The arrogance of youth is just amazing at times. Perhaps, just throwing this out there, he was surprised that he had a queue because, much like others he expected a ghost town? There are many way's to take his statement. The OPINIONS and assumptions you make in your last paragraph are, in my opinion, baseless. But a good laugh nonetheless.

FFXIV is just fine. Not sure what all the fuss is about. It has a very loyal fan base and decent numbers and I suspect nothing much will change as far as population over the following months.

Outside of hyperbole, or someone with an unhealthy obsession with seeing things die, no one would reasonably expect to see a ghost town. To acknowledge or respond to the people making those kinds of remarks is just as bad as making them in the first place. It's giving the statements far more consideration than they deserve.

Everyone should expect a drop-off in subscribers after the first month simply because people will try the game, not feel it's worth a sub, and choose not to continue it. That's just part of any MMO's lifecycle.

The more reasonable arguments have been those saying to see how it's doing in 3 months, 6 months or 1 year.  Those are completely fair assessment points, for any MMO, not just this one. Even then, it won't necessarily be a ghost town. There will always be a population.

The question is, will it continue to perform strongly and up to SE's wishes or requirements? That all depends on the choices Yoshi-P makes going forward and the rate at which they're able to provide new content against how quickly players are able to complete it. It's a completely valid observation to make, not even necessarily due to how ARR itself is made, but due to the flighty and fickle nature of MMO players themselves these days.

Personally, a game's population is never more than a curiosity to me. It's never a gauge of a MMO's worthyness to me. I recently re-opened my Ryzom account. That game inarguably has a small population - but it's large and active enough for the game to continue, for me to participate and do things with, which is all I need to enjoy myself. Whether there's 700 people playing it, or 7,000,000, it doesn't matter. My path will likely never cross more than a few dozen anyway.

People really should stop using a game's population as a gauge of its worth. If you find it fun, then play it.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Congratulations, ARR. The real test has begun and the playerbase is as massive as ever.

Now, it is time to move the start of the "real test" to "after X months", and afterwards "after X years". As this is what the haters do when they are proven to be completely and utterly wrong.

Actually there's 3 traditional milestone marks for a new MMO.

1 month - usually the free period

3 months - the point at which even some of the slowest players have completed a substantial amount of the content

6 months - the point at which people begin waiting and boredom has set in on large scale

I haven't seen many games who have survived the 6 month mark that went on to flop later in the year. Usually, if you can make it past 6 months and still have a healthy, happy and thriving player base, you're very likely to finish the year strong and new content will help solidify that.

Yes, it's often true that haters will just make up timelines, but the above is fairly standard (as in MMO community has been using it for almost a decade) and applies to all newly launched titles, not just FFARR.

Originally posted by Rusque

Actually there's 3 traditional milestone marks for a new MMO.

1 month - usually the free period

3 months - the point at which even some of the slowest players have completed a substantial amount of the content

6 months - the point at which people begin waiting and boredom has set in on large scale

I haven't seen many games who have survived the 6 month mark that went on to flop later in the year. Usually, if you can make it past 6 months and still have a healthy, happy and thriving player base, you're very likely to finish the year strong and new content will help solidify that.

Yes, it's often true that haters will just make up timelines, but the above is fairly standard (as in MMO community has been using it for almost a decade) and applies to all newly launched titles, not just FFARR.

I can absolutely get behind that.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

The question is, will it continue to perform strongly and up to SE's wishes or requirements? That all depends on the choices Yoshi-P makes going forward and the rate at which they're able to provide new content against how quickly players are able to complete it.

Personally, a game's population is never more than a curiosity to me. It's never a gauge of a MMO's worthyness to me. I recently re-opened my Ryzom account. That game inarguably has a small population - but it's large and active enough for the game to continue, for me to participate and do things with, which is all I need to enjoy myself. Whether there's 700 people playing it, or 7,000,000, it doesn't matter. My path will likely never cross more than a few dozen anyway.

People really should stop using a game's population as a gauge of its worth. If you find it fun, then play it.

The first and second paragraph are contradictionary. New content costs money, money is generated by having a large playerbase.

You only need 5000 people to fill up a server, but you need tons more to develop content at a rate that is in line with how fast the majority of players complete it without resorting to using more grind in the design than the players can deal with.

A game like Ryzom can survive with a small population - an AAA MMO can not.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Hatefull WoW! this is GOLD! You really assume all that from one sentence? The arrogance of youth is just amazing at times. Perhaps, just throwing this out there, he was surprised that he had a queue because, much like others he expected a ghost town? There are many way's to take his statement. The OPINIONS and assumptions you make in your last paragraph are, in my opinion, baseless. But a good laugh nonetheless. FFXIV is just fine. Not sure what all the fuss is about. It has a very loyal fan base and decent numbers and I suspect nothing much will change as far as population over the following months.
    Outside of hyperbole, or someone with an unhealthy obsession with seeing things die, no one would reasonably expect to see a ghost town. To acknowledge or respond to the people making those kinds of remarks is just as bad as making them in the first place. It's giving the statements far more consideration than they deserve.

Everyone should expect a drop-off in subscribers after the first month simply because people will try the game, not feel it's worth a sub, and choose not to continue it. That's just part of any MMO's lifecycle.

The more reasonable arguments have been those saying to see how it's doing in 3 months, 6 months or 1 year.  Those are completely fair assessment points, for any MMO, not just this one. Even then, it won't necessarily be a ghost town. There will always be a population.

The question is, will it continue to perform strongly and up to SE's wishes or requirements? That all depends on the choices Yoshi-P makes going forward and the rate at which they're able to provide new content against how quickly players are able to complete it. It's a completely valid observation to make, not even necessarily due to how ARR itself is made, but due to the flighty and fickle nature of MMO players themselves these days.

Had you read the OP and then taken what I wrote, the 'ghost town' as an example of what OP might have been thinking when he made his statement, you would see that I was not making a stance, just making an example.

As to your opinions, let me counter by saying some people play MMO's to simply have a limited social interaction with other people who play MMO's. To them population is the biggest reason to play. Again not my personal stance, but it is an opinion I have seen other express.

My point being; for those people that IS the games worth, and your gauge does not necessarily work for all other MMO players. It works for you, fine happy for you however, don't try and push your gauge on me, as my outlook and desires for a game differ from yours.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I am going to bookmark this post for future lols.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    This game isn't going anywhere. It's as addictive as McDonald's fries with crack sprinkled on them.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by donpopuki

It's just good old typical self interest. People NEED the game they are playing to be the best. If they're not playing it cause they feel it sucks, yet the game is doing well, they feel they're must be something wrong with the players of that game. I mean... "How could THEY like it when I hate it so much?"

People need to just play what makes them feel good in the pants and get over it.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by tommygunzII This game isn't going anywhere. It's as addictive as McDonald's fries with crack sprinkled on them.
    Great example - as none could eat that for more than a couple of months, which is all the game has currently - fun for a short while, and then it nosedives once you hit 50 - this is my opinion, your milage may vary.

FF14ARR is great at first (just like McD's fries) but very soon you start wanting more as your done with it.

2.1 will be a huge determining factor if the game grows or shrinks fast.

i think u seem to think everyone has reached 50. ive been playing since headstart and my highest class is 36. so by the time i hit 50, 2.1 will already b out.

The best meter of success is how many haters that don't even play have the urge to come trash the game in any given thread. The insecurities show like Bruce Willis' baldness.