Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Contested Content Question Answered

2»

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Already chuckling here seeing some still think that EQNext will only have FFA oPvP servers.

This is 2013 and forced PvP has been proven to lock the game forever in a niche.

Yes they might have separate PvP servers, but there will be PvE servers aswell, which will only have consensual PvP, either with a faction system or separate PvP areas.

Anything else doesn't work in an AAA MMO anymore.

• LitestepLitestep Member UncommonPosts: 38

If it wasn't for SOE - by now I would be 95% sure that EQ Next is just a marketing trick.   So many articles, so many articles with Videos  ..  and ALL they are showing is funny looking pony-tailed guy talking in front of the camera about things that will come.

I'm maybe getting too old for this (to be the right target audience), but then again - looking at the guys age - I couldn't be FAR off.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by bcbully

"A larger portion of EQ:N will be contested." Some of you better hope for PvE servers :p Oh, what's that? You think they are going to build and open destructible world, with a large portion contested w/o Wpvp? lol

I'm definitely thinking that there is going to be an open world PvP bombshell on the horizon. It looks like they are setting up a bait and switch for PvE players.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Already chuckling here seeing some still think that EQNext will only have FFA oPvP servers.

This is 2013 and forced PvP has been proven to lock the game forever in a niche.

Yes they might have separate PvP servers, but there will be PvE servers aswell, which will only have consensual PvP, either with a faction system or separate PvP areas.

Actually the past majority of MMOs have shown that a PvE focus has failed to rekindle the mass marketability of WoW.

They need to be doing something dramatically left of centre to have a chance at the big shot. I think OWPvP with real competition has a better chance of achieving that than a rehashed a PvE world that we have seen a million times over.

I think what has been proven is that the archetypal AAA MMO doesn't work anymore.  People are bored of it.  The most popular video games in the world all have a PvP and multiplayer focus. PvE has no staying power.  Its time for MMOs to get back to PvP and real player interactions rather than smacking loot piñatas. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by evilastro

I'm definitely thinking that there is going to be an open world PvP bombshell on the horizon. It looks like they are setting up a bait and switch for PvE players.

im expecting different server types but i don't know

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

"A larger portion of EQ:N will be contested." Some of you better hope for PvE servers :p Oh, what's that? You think they are going to build and open destructible world, with a large portion contested w/o Wpvp? lol

?? Eh what, did you even play EQ1? fully contested yet not a single sign of FFA PVP.  You do not need to have FFA PVP in a contested enviroment, First in Force was the rule.

However goodluck trying to talk up something that isn't going to happen.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by saker
    Originally posted by superconducting

Funny how SOE's idea of "Round Table" polling works:

(1) Ask intended audience a question

(2) Reveal poll results

(3) Inform masses of design decision that had already been made long ago.

all about just generating talk/hype perhaps?

It's also so they can throw around words they have no business using, like "franchise".

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

If they have PvP servers and they don't overinstance the game I'll play it for sure. The biggest flaws in MMOs today are the lack of contested content (even on PvE only servers this is important), poor AI and lack of true dynamic PvE content. Sounds like they at least picked the right things to try to change. Hopefully they can pull it off.

• arcatomarcatom Member UncommonPosts: 33

@Montaronx ;

The whole mindset of having to 'kill this mob to get said specific item' won't really work with how they are designing EQN.

Instead, the emphasis will be on exploring and seeing what you will find. That's the beauty of what they are doing with this game.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Actually the past majority of MMOs have shown that a PvE focus has failed to rekindle the mass marketability of WoW.

They need to be doing something dramatically left of centre to have a chance at the big shot. I think OWPvP with real competition has a better chance of achieving that than a rehashed a PvE world that we have seen a million times over.

I think what has been proven is that the archetypal AAA MMO doesn't work anymore.  People are bored of it.  The most popular video games in the world all have a PvP and multiplayer focus. PvE has no staying power.  Its time for MMOs to get back to PvP and real player interactions rather than smacking loot piñatas. 

The fact that no western MMO has succeeded in rekindling the  mass marketability of WoW suggests that the issue is far bigger than PvE or PvP focus.  There's likely no elixir or panacea that devs can concoct which will guarantee a repeat.  While I agree with your assessment of the potential of PvP and multiplayer gaming, there's also an important distinction to be made.  Almost without exception, the gameplay of those highest selling PvP games would be far more akin to battlegrounds and instanced matches than the prototypical FFA oPvP that is often advocated on these boards.  If anything, the prevailing taste seems to be for esport-like competition and tactics rather than the uneven, often completely one-sided warfare served up by most oPvP MMOs.

To the heart of the article, I'm not sure at this point how to feel about this game because the information being sent out has been done in such piecemeal fashion.  I feel at times as if SOE is too reticent to explain just what EQNext is.  Like others I want to know their stance on PvP, I want to know what the defining trait of this EQ is when compared to others in the genre and in comparison to the other Everquests.  Right now I've only got a spare few insights into the game their building and no real inclination to feel more than lukewarm until I know a lot more.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

?? Eh what, did you even play EQ1? fully contested yet not a single sign of FFA PVP.  You do not need to have FFA PVP in a contested enviroment, First in Force was the rule.

However goodluck trying to talk up something that isn't going to happen.

Ya, this misconception that contested PVE means there has to be PVE is wrong. Contested PVE is just players just to camp a spawn, or getting to it before the next person. There was plenty of that in Ferrott in EQ2 without PVP

Killing dragons is my shit