Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you play/try a new game?

Hey,
Maybe that question has been asked here before but.. come on.. lol..

So.. you found a new game, it looks awesome and all and you can't wait to install it.
You install it, you play it but you're not really sure how you like it cuz it might be just 'another' MMO like most of them but something made you want to download that game which means there might be something in it that worths playing more.

And the question is: How long do you try a NEW game before you give up on it?

As for me it is kinda fast.. I can find a game amazing at first before installing and playing but then when I play and I see that it is not what I expected from it (which is another problem.. high expectations), I can give up on it pretty fast.. maybe even less than an hour..

How about you?

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    These days a few weeks at most.  Some are so poor they barely last a couple of days on my hard drive.
  • SouthkryptSouthkrypt Member Posts: 9
    I try to give a game the free 30 days to see how I like it. If its mildly fun I usually sub for 3months and go from there. but there are just some games I cant stomach and are deleted before the free 30 days ends. FFXIV 1.0/2.0 being one of them

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If I find a good community I tend to stay a bit longer even if the game sucks.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

i will try 3-4 session on a game before i decide if i like it or not,

each session usaly around 2hours

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

It depends.

If there's some problem I can't tolerate, then I stop immediately: I've got no intention of playing a game that's full of hackers, or a game where my character is unresponsive and controlling my character's actions is harder challenge than killing the enemies, or a game where end-game looks like a competition of who spends more money on cash-shop.

If there are no large problems, then I'll play anywhere from 5 to 50 hours before starting to consider whether I want to play the game more, and what aims I'd want to take in it.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

I don't believe in myth that a game gets better after certain point. People say that all the time, but I have yet to see any game that works that way. I used to fall for that before, but it always turned out to be lies.

Every developer puts a lot of resources in the first few hours of game, to suck in new players. If he fails even at that, you can't really expect it will get any better later.

And the core of the game is clearly visible since the moment you log in with your character. If I feel uncomfortable with the way players look, the world looks, the lore is executed, or game mechanics are, that feeling will stay all the way to the end, resulting in bad experience.

I also know I can get addicted by every game no matter how bad it is. So I play a game few hours before I decide if I want to continue. Enough to check the game out, not long enough to get sucked in pointlessly.

People won't agree, but like I said... never found a game that gets better later.

I'm not really sure being so inconsistent and poorly designed that it is different later, would be any positive for a game. People tend to praise that bad design in some games, if you believe in it...

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I don't believe in myth that a game gets better after certain point. People say that all the time, but I have yet to see any game that works that way. 

Yep, I always laugh at people who say words to the effect of "Ah well, the game comes into its own at End Game".  What they mean is the game is admittedly poor or even crap for 60 or 70+ levels, but - TADAAA! -  after that it "gets better" meaning you can "Groundhog Day" the same content over and over as much as you like.  Er, no thanks.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    As long as its fun.

This ^^^

This is so many other entertainment options that i don't need to suffer any prolonged period of un-fun. If an entertainment product is not doing its job, next!

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    As long as its fun.

That is about right.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I don't believe in myth that a game gets better after certain point. People say that all the time, but I have yet to see any game that works that way. I used to fall for that before, but it always turned out to be lies.

Every developer puts a lot of resources in the first few hours of game, to suck in new players. If he fails even at that, you can't really expect it will get any better later.

And the core of the game is clearly visible since the moment you log in with your character. If I feel uncomfortable with the way players look, the world looks, the lore is executed, or game mechanics are, that feeling will stay all the way to the end, resulting in bad experience.

I also know I can get addicted by every game no matter how bad it is. So I play a game few hours before I decide if I want to continue. Enough to check the game out, not long enough to get sucked in pointlessly.

People won't agree, but like I said... never found a game that gets better later.

I'm not really sure being so inconsistent and poorly designed that it is different later, would be any positive for a game. People tend to praise that bad design in some games, if you believe in it...

To give an example of how the myth can actually be true:

If you've only played from level 1 to 9 in FFXIV, you cannot experience the crafting system. If you like FFXIV's crafting system, then evidently the game get so much better at lv10, when you actually unlock crafting.

Still think it is a myth? Every major system in a game does not have to be presented and experienced during the first hour of the game. That's just common sense. 

• AzzudyenAzzudyen Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Recently I dont even make it a month (B2P). Or even 30 free days if the game has it (P2P).
  • EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78

every time i try a game that ends up as wasted install time, it makes me scrutinize the next game a little bit harder.

probably why i havn't really played anything in months.

as for the actual OP question, it entirely depends on the games design. more often then not tho, i won't even bother installing a game if they can't take a decent screenshot of what the game entails.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Of course its going to vary.

I'd normally give the game two to three months to settle down, see the plans for patches etc.

But there have been a few that haven't lasted that long, or lasted at all - first incarnation of ffxiv would be about the shortest, although Neverwinter would run that close if you call their open beta a launch.

Longest - Wow by several years

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If the game play is fun I'll normally give it a week or so. I don't really have a set rule. If I feel like logging on I keep playing, if I find I want to play something else more...obviously the game wasn't doing it for me.
  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119

For a new game that I on paper sounds good to me I try to give it a month or 2 of playing.  If there seems to be a big content patch coming out I try to test it after that is out.  It really depends on the game.  If its any kind of MMO with in a month usually I know how I feel about it

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    As long as its fun.

This... As long as its more fun then any other game

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Shortest time for me....about 5 minutes.

Rift...I tried to like and got to level 3

btw longest game I've played

DAOC  on /off 12 years

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Of all the games I've stuck with for any length of time, I've known pretty much in the first half hour whether or not I was going to last.  It's almost as if the "fun" happens before it happens, strange as that may sound.  The rest is just a playing-out of all the energy that accumulated within the game's intro, to look at it one way.

There has to be a "hook" that pulls me in... something that happens in the basic cycle of gameplay.  If the hook is big enough, I'll keep coming back for a long time.  Usually this is within the first couple hours.  If it hasn't happened by then, I probably will not play for more than a day.

If I've been playing for more than a week, usually there has to be some kind of negative experience in game to "push" me off.  Something like a bug or a perceived administrative error.

If I've been playing for several months or more, chances are I will be playing for years.

In one instance, I've been playing the same game (Vendetta Online) for more than a decade.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I usually have a couple of F2P MMOs {Currently Vanguard, Rift and Tera) on my HD that I will cycle between when the mood strikes me. About once a year I get the urge to re-sub to EVE for a month or two but usually within a couple of weeks logging in starts to become a chore again and I cancel. I definitely have MMO "commitment issues" :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Traditional theme park? The part right after CC during the first tutorial quest. A non eq/wow style usually a week on and off to get a feel.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I use to give games a fair shot and play it a couple months, but now if i log in and im in some instanced starter zone with a bunch of others that all look the same and there is some NPC standing there with a little thing over his head ready to start my " personal quest " i just log out and uninstall.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Talking traditional MMORPG I usually try to play until I've experienced the PvP and done at least two different dungeons. Sometimes I can tell before that point but usually I try to wait at least for that. For me if I hate the interface and how the gameplay feels then no number of features is going to make the game playable. Things like character customization and graphics I can live with not liking but if the game feels uncomfortable from a gameplay standpoint it is probably dead to me.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    As long as its fun.

This ^^^

This is so many other entertainment options that i don't need to suffer any prolonged period of un-fun. If an entertainment product is not doing its job, next!

Exactly.  Interesting enough there seems to be a fad amongst gamers that post here on this site that seem to try to be hipsters and play games that are hardly known as if it's a cool thing to claim, like listening to indie music or wearing certain styles of clothing.  Then others will only play games if the financial reports show revenue growth or if sub numbers are certain levels.  I mean, what ever happened to just having fun with a game and playing it?  If it's not fun, move on.  Luckily we have so many choices in the games we can play and how they are played.  It's funny how many people refuse to accept or realize that concept.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    As long as its fun.

This ^^^

Exactly.  Interesting enough there seems to be a fad amongst gamers that post here on this site that seem to try to be hipsters and play games that are hardly known as if it's a cool thing to claim, like listening to indie music or wearing certain styles of clothing.  Then others will only play games if the financial reports show revenue growth or if sub numbers are certain levels.  I mean, what ever happened to just having fun with a game and playing it?  If it's not fun, move on.  Luckily we have so many choices in the games we can play and how they are played.  It's funny how many people refuse to accept or realize that concept.

I agree with what your saying except for the " so many choices " part.

if you look at the AAA MMOs out they really arnt all that different from each other as far as game play goes. we really dont have alot of choices. They are all quest hub, instanced, storyline driven, gear driven games. When you play one then go to the next its like playing the same game all over again just in a different  world with a different story line. its like buying another single player RPG to play.

and i say AAA MMOs because lets be real, how many indie games really come out and make it? can we even count them as we all know they are going to promise us the world and not deliver? with their 3 man dev teams.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I usually know if I will like the game within the first 15 minutes but I almost always give it a few hours. The exception to this rule is Asian games.  I've tried Tera, Aion and FFXIV and knew I would hate them and quit after the first 30 minutes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!