Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad design "ruining" lv50 story dungeon

TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

So I finally got my 1st combat character to lv50, and evidently I am going to finish the story in the lv50 story dungeon.

However,  due to bad design, a major aspect of the dungeon was lost: due to rushing the other 7 party members were able to lock me out from even participating against the final boss of that dungeon. Basically, if you watch the cutscenes right before the final boss, the rest of the team can simply rush into the boss area, which will lockout the person watching the cutscene from even entering.

A simple fix would be, to let the person watching the cutscene actually entering the battle.

I am very dissappointed at SquareEnix, given that the main story is a major aspect of the game:&.

Comments

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

"WFT R U GOING TO WATCH CUTSCENES U NOOB!!!!!1!111" or "why the only interaction with other players I'm interested in is through the sights of my gun".

Honestly, there should be 2 queues for this kind of sh!t: "First timers, cutscenes are not skipable for anyone" and "speedrun, no cutscenes for anyone."

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Grahor

"WFT R U GOING TO WATCH CUTSCENES U NOOB!!!!!1!111" or "why the only interaction with other players I'm interested in is through the sights of my gun".

Honestly, there should be 2 queues for this kind of sh!t: "First timers, cutscenes are not skipable for anyone" and "speedrun, no cutscenes for anyone."

They didn't complain about me watching cutscenes, since the content was doable with just 7 people regardless. They just rushed and I was able to catch up to every part of the dungeon, except the last fight which the game locked me out from:&.

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

So I finally got my 1st combat character to lv50, and evidently I am going to finish the story in the lv50 story dungeon.

However,  due to bad design, a major aspect of the dungeon was lost: due to rushing the other 7 party members were able to lock me out from even participating against the final boss of that dungeon. Basically, if you watch the cutscenes right before the final boss, the rest of the team can simply rush into the boss area, which will lockout the person watching the cutscene from even entering.

A simple fix would be, to let the person watching the cutscene actually entering the battle.

I am very dissappointed at SquareEnix, given that the main story is a major aspect of the game:&.

No and no..

Cutscreens u watch in your Inn not in the dungeon... just get used to it and no its not a Bad design at all.. thats just how it is.. you can always watch it later as u should..

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Let's be fair here. While it might be a problem it is a very very minor problem which does not mean it's bad game design. There's nothing inherently wrong with the dungeon raid system right?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by Grahor

nah no need.. u have a Inn u can watch them in ... so hard not to do..

Originally posted by Magnetia
    Let's be fair here. While it might be a problem it is a very very minor problem which does not mean it's bad game design. There's nothing inherently wrong with the dungeon raid system right?

exactly nothing is wrong with FFXIV.. its a awesome game with nice concept and ideas. just lack of 50 dungeons to be honest.. farming same dungeon 36 times is not fun

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by maple2

No and no..

Cutscreens u watch in your Inn not in the dungeon... just get used to it and no its not a Bad design at all.. thats just how it is.. you can always watch it later as u should..

Some people play games for the story not just to make their stats increase. MMOs should be social but the attitude you show is what has drug games from communities working together to the plague of silent boss zerging for no reason other than the epix.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

No and no..

Some people play games for the story not just to make their stats increase. MMOs should be social but the attitude you show is what has drug games from communities working together to the plague of silent boss zerging for no reason other than the epix.

nope.. i watched it all since i played in the start like all other people did.. and u can always watch it after in your Inn.. all guilds does it and all people says u should do that..

not my problem people are like 1month late where all people already reached endgame.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

No and no..

No, I think I'll watch the cutscenes during the run, as they were intended.

Are people so impatient these days that they can't wait two minutes for someone to watch a bit of story? (Rhetorical question BTW). Go make a sandwich, heat up a hot pocket, stretch your legs, get a cold drink, get a hot drink, do some homework, think about the next pair of socks you're going to buy. There's no rule stating that you need to stay glued to your monitor for the scene's duration.

Believe it or not, some people actually do play these games for reasons other than 'PHAT L00TZ!'

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

No and no..

nope.. i watched it all since i played in the start like all other people did.. and u can always watch it after in your Inn.. all guilds does it and all people says u should do that..

not my problem people are like 1month late where all people already reached endgame.

Wow, could you be anymore self righteous? Get over yourself and try and see beyond your own nose, there are people who actually enjoy watching these while doing it. If you choose to do it a different way doesn't make it a universal solution.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Moodsor

No and no..

Wow, could you be anymore self righteous? Get over yourself and try and see beyond your own nose, there are people who actually enjoy watching these while doing it. If you choose to do it a different way doesn't make it a universal solution.

I don't think it's his own nose he is focusing on. Another area of his body less publicly visible definitely....

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I plan to watch every cut scene live. It is an RPG right? If you give me a hard time about it then we just can't be friends.
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Sorry that the people you were running with didn't wait for you no one seams to stop and enjoy content anymore. I personally enjoy the cut scenes in this game have not hit 50 yet. However if its my first time I will be watching and they will be a healer down.

Plus ignore the dickheads having ago. To many arseholes play MMO's nowadays and you just have to ignore most.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Are people so impatient these days that they can't wait two minutes for someone to watch a bit of story? 

Yeah is fine the first few times but when you're in your 20 run and every time you have to wait for some new guy to finish its cutscene it becomes annoying. 

Can't you just, you know watch the cutscene on youtube right before joining the dungeon instead? 

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Swids2010

Sorry that the people you were running with didn't wait for you no one seams to stop and enjoy content anymore. I personally enjoy the cut scenes in this game have not hit 50 yet. However if its my first time I will be watching and they will be a healer down.

Plus ignore the dickheads having ago. To many arseholes play MMO's nowadays and you just have to ignore most.

Yep, it was one of the advantages whilst leveling my whm. They could either wait for me or not - their choice.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Meh.  In my mind at least, you still got the better end of the deal.

The cutscene was intended to be seen as you are experiencing the dungeon, hell for me its part of it (at least the first time).  Your group was too impatient and ran ahead, which is annoying, yes...but let's be honest, that just means you got to watch the cutscene in the moment and they went on to kill some more trash mobs.  You will be back to experience those fights at some point or another more than likely, eff em.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

No and no..

Right. SE deliberately shows cut-scenes at specific moments, but obviously doesn't intend them to be seen until later on.

lol

The logic of a "now now now!" generation MMO gamer.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Yeah they need to fix that, i was prevented to participate in several fight before i watched the cutscene, i find myself behind the barrier after it, incapable of entering the boss area.  I cant believe this has not been fixed yet, it was well known in beta.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    Yeah they need to fix that, i was prevented to participate in several fight before i watched the cutscene, i find myself behind the barrier after it, incapable of entering the boss area.  I cant believe this has not been fixed yet, it was well known in beta.

This is precisely my only issue. I would be okay if the other people rushed ahead and got the boss down  60% hp while I was watching the cutscene, as long as I am actually able to enter the fight for the remaining 40%.

It is the "lock-out" that I consider to be bad design. I was fine with the rushing otherwise.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

This is one of game play flaws SE has been repeatedly informed about.  There are several junctures where you are required to do a 4 or 8 man instance to advance the story.  From a progression standpoint, you only need to do them once per character.  So the que for normal mode primals will always be dependent on the influx of new players trying the instance for the one and only time they need to.

So to encourage participation in the later part of the story content, they added end game currency to the later story mode instances. This is good and bad because now you have a cadre of people wanting to do that instance for reasons other than story progression but bad because people are forced to run that instance dozens of times to advance their character.

Right now, your choices at level 50 are:

a) run CM and AK dozens of times to get darklight and better gear

b) level a different class by fate running

c) level crafting

A and b are fairly tedious by the second and third week of it, so people tend to lack patience when the runs are not efficient. On the bright side, the cut-scene problem will solve itself as the population completes the story or gives up prior to getting there.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I agree. My 1st run through Praetorium was like this.

"Stop watching the cuts!...You can watch them in your Inn Room later."

• The best solution to you wanting people to skip the cut scenes - build your own party instead of relying on the duty finder.
  • ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Edli
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Are people so impatient these days that they can't wait two minutes for someone to watch a bit of story? 

Yeah is fine the first few times but when you're in your 20 run and every time you have to wait for some new guy to finish its cutscene it becomes annoying. 

Can't you just, you know watch the cutscene on youtube right before joining the dungeon instead? 

If you build your own party intended for speed running and have specific demands then yes, tell newbies no cutscenes or you will be left behind.

If you join through the Duty Finder, tough luck, you have no right to make any demands. I enjoyed my cutscenes first time around. IDGAF what people say. I played the game how it was intended to my first time around along with a few buddies.

• slikeytreslikeytre Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Your not taking into account the people who have to run the instance 60 times just to fully gear their toon.. Ppl watching cut scenes slow you down and its annoying when they can just watch them in their INN.  I would have locked you out if u wanted to watch the cut-scene too.   Just sucks that the casuals are just now hitting 50. Like they will ever even attempt to put in the amount of work it takes to actually run the challenging content. I mean if they do and they are ok with letting every nub watch cut-scenes for their next  50 queues more power to them but at some point u wish there was a skill all cut-scenes button... Its bad enough the pugs had to carry you because u got locked out.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by slikeytre
    Your not taking into account the people who have to run the instance 60 times just to fully gear their toon.. Ppl watching cut scenes slow you down and its annoying when they can just watch them in their INN.  I would have locked you out if u wanted to watch the cut-scene too.   Just sucks that the casuals are just now hitting 50. Like they will ever even attempt to put in the amount of work it takes to actually run the challenging content. I mean if they do and they are ok with letting every nub watch cut-scenes for their next  50 queues more power to them but at some point u wish there was a skill all cut-scenes button... Its bad enough the pugs had to carry you because u got locked out.

^ This right here is why I will watch every single cutscene in the game during the run.  You want to be impatient?  Cool, ultimately the only one suffering by locking someone out are those who lock them out lmao.