Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: Racial Trait

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "Racial Trait" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    They are nice when the class / race combo you want to play works for the traits. It's reinforcing that your making the right decisions right out of the gate.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ouch... Please reconsider (i just did)! make the bonuses negligible! 1 or 2, doesn't matter just a little. That shouldn't change much right??!?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I always found racial traits, or racial abilities to be near to useless, especially in modern games.  A decade ago, having 10 higher starting DEX or STR may have been a big deal, but not so much anymore, and typically racial abilities were cool for the first 5 lvl's of play, and then obsolete.  Maybe that will change a bit in future games, who knows.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Racial abilities are a must for me. Any game without them = lazy design. The key for racials is making them useful to all roles, and also making sense for that race. A perfect example of this is in WoW, Tauren's War Stomp. It's not overpowering, but it's very useful, and fits perfectly with the Tauren race.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Not gonna lie i do realy miss race acualy meaning somthing in a game rather than just cosmetics.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I honestly think racial traits are only important if they significantly affect gameplay.

In WoW, the reason I picked an Orc was because they are better with axes than other races (I think this has changed now), and that was an important game-changing thing.

In GW2, I picked the Charr because they looked cool.  I could have picked an Asura or Norn and gameplay would not be changed for me in the slightest, because I never use their racials (nobody does nowadays).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820

A game with significant racials is a turn off for me. I view it as poor design - penalizing players for picking a certain race for a certain class, when it is more interesting from a role-playing perspective to allow free form class + race choices. Race or gender locking for classes is even worse - as it directly closes options to the player.

If I want to play an Elf warrior, I should be no less effective than an Orc warrior. If I want to play an Asura Guardian, then I should be able to do so without having an innate disadvantage to a Charr or Norn Guardian.

Racials are obsolete, in my view. Bad design from a bygone era of gaming.

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Aeander

A game with significant racials is a turn off for me. I view it as poor design - penalizing players for picking a certain race for a certain class, when it is more interesting from a role-playing perspective to allow free form class + race choices. Race or gender locking for classes is even worse - as it directly closes options to the player.

You mixed up two different things in one sentence: racial abilities and "racially" locked classes. The second one (although in many case immersion breaker) probably indeed is a questionable thing. But the first one - is something that should exist. And should you be a real roleplayer you would not object  the fact that big strong ogre can be a better tank that a little mouse. Yet, if that mouse do want to be a tank - so be it, but the mouse has to use some other skills in oder to be effective than strength or stamina.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Originally posted by Mirandel

You mixed up two different things in one sentence: racial abilities and "racially" locked classes. The second one (although in many case immersion breaker) probably indeed is a questionable thing. But the first one - is something that should exist. And should you be a real roleplayer you would not object  the fact that big strong ogre can be a better tank that a little mouse. Yet, if that mouse do want to be a tank - so be it, but the mouse has to use some other skills in oder to be effective than strength or stamina.

I did not mix up two different things in one sentence. I used separate sentences to address separate, but related issues and express that I strongly dislike both. 

And I would ask you to not speak for me on what "should" or "should not" exist. That is for me as an individual to decide just as it is for you. I happen to LIKE cosmetic-only races. I prefer the absolute freedom that they provide. And to counter your realism-in-fantasy argument that a "big, strong ogre" should be a stronger warrior or better tank than a "little mouse," I would argue that there are factors other than size, particularly in a fantasy setting, that can put the "little mouse" on even ground with the "big strong ogre." One thing to remember is that, in fantasy, it is up to the writers and designers to dictate how their races function. It is perfectly reasonable for the muscular system of a smaller race to be modified by magic or technology to be equivalent to that of a larger one. Or perhaps the smaller race simply has a naturally stronger musculature by-mass than the larger race, leading to more or less equivalent performance (this could reasonably the the case with dwarves, for example.)

There are no "facts" in fantasy, just like there is no accounting for personal preferences in gaming, and I would expect you, as a gamer, to understand that. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Comic forgot one thing,i don't think Elvens wore cotton tank tops as armor.Put a complete set of plate armor on one and you wouldn't even know it was an Elven.Racial traits as mentioned,an Elven automatically being able to shoot a bow is unrealistic,not sure who came up with that lame idea.This is like saying all Canadians can play hockey,wish devs would put some thought into their game designs so they make some sense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I think wow has done racials skills well. I would prefer no race class restrictions, but do like racial traits for uniqueness and flavor. I liked shadow meld for night elves in wow. Could there be a ne guarding that tower? War stomp was good and fitting for Tauren. Underwater breathing needed more water content to make it useful. But you get the idea.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Great comic!  It shows the loss of the RPG in MMORPGs.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

If I want to play an Elf warrior, I should be no less effective than an Orc warrior. If I want to play an Asura Guardian, then I should be able to do so without having an innate disadvantage to a Charr or Norn Guardian.

Racials are obsolete, in my view. Bad design from a bygone era of gaming.

I disagree with everything you just said. Everything. Racial traits are poor design? Better from a role playing perspective? An Asuna guardian and a Charr guardian are equal on all accounts?

My friend. Your whole post is bad design.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I like and miss racial traits, min/maxing has ruined mmos.  I wouldn't refuse to make a mouse tank because of lacking traits, they'd have other traits, which would make them useful, ie: tracking and foraging, which maybe only a few other classes such as ranger and druids would get. 

It is always nice to pick a race on Everquest 2 that gives you tracking and foraging, even though your class can't normally do those skills... Being able to disarm when you're not a scout? Awesome! Any halfling/ratonga should have disarm because they are sneaky and it makes sense! Wood elves and Iksars should have foraging, Wood Elves/Kerra/Ratongas should have tracking, and Iksars/Frogloks should have Enduring Breath... Racial mounts should be racial, so that only that race can ever ride them... We need more water content for seahorses!! 

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    [edit] An Elven automatically being able to shoot a bow is unrealistic,not sure who came up with that lame idea.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I think racials should be geared toward a specific class or make sense because of the lore. The main reason I play a wood elf in ES games is because they are the most proficient in archery. If every race had an ability that could be be applied across all classes equally it defeats the purpose of racials. Their meant to be unique.